Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #16
gilld
Will just have the butler open her champagne!

We let our friends have a two bed villa at BCV the last fortnight, and they came back yesterday saying it was fabulous.

Certainly we've never had a problem...............but we've not been for 3 years either.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
misscrossbee
Mouseketeer

We just returned from a week at AKL in a savannah view room and then a week at BCV, kindly provided by my Dad's DVC membership.

BCV is my parents' 'home' and they love it, particularly for it's proximity to Epcot. We loved it the first time we stayed there three years ago, but this time it was a disappointment.

Of the three rooms on our reservation, only ours wasn't ready when we checked in at 12. At some point, they offered us a room on the ground floor which we declined as my Dad had wanted us all to be in close proximity (initially all the rooms were to be on the 2nd floor) and we didn't fancy the lack of privacy on the ground floor.

Finally, sometime after 4pm, we were told our room was ready only to find it hadn't been touched by a cleaner since the previous occupants checked out. It was a filthy mess with rubbish piled everywhere, unmade beds, etc. Reception apologised, but then told us our only alternative was the previously offered ground floor room and if we wanted to change rooms the next day we could come back to the desk first thing in the morning and they would sort it.

The ground floor room was a handicapped room and it was in bad shape. The AC was incredibly noisy, the toilet was coming loose from the wall and the refrigerator was falling apart, amongst other things. I went back to the desk the next morning and - after a lot of discussion amongst the people on the desk as no notes had been put on my account as promised - was told a room had been allocated on the second floor, but wouldn't be ready for us to move to until the afternoon, and to come back and see the manager then for keys to be cut.

I went back in the afternoon and the manager wasn't available and still no notes had been left on my account. So it was another 25 minutes of explanation and standing around while all sorts of whispered conversations took place behind the desk. The new room was OK, but I would have really liked BCV staff to take the initiative to sort it the next day, rather than having to go back to the desk several times and explain each time what the situation was. I intend to write a letter to BC management about this.

I felt the service and the room at AKL was far superior to that of BCV and certainly BCV didn't provide the customer care expected from a DVC property.
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #18
flexsmom

DIS Veteran

But ... I'm a DVC member!

Sorry you were disappointed - but it seems that your requests for "suitability" - not having a ground floor, and then not having a disabled room - both fell into the "requests" category and not so much as "guarantees"? I think you may have been fortunate that they ended up assigning you to a room that you considered suitable without charging you for a room change after so many attempts, since your requests were not anything that fell into the guaranteed category.
flexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #19
BONZO
Has been known to go off topic!
Apparantly size does matter!
Enjoys a quick rub down with the Sporting Life

Well, we certainly had a very different experience to others who've posted here.

Just put up Part 6 of Trip Report Here with pics for our first day at BCV.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2007 ~ POR, HRH, GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, WLV
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
FayeW
DIS Veteran

I think I am going to save this thread in my Favourites so I can refer to it everytime I read one of the "I stayed offsite ONCE and NEVER AGAIN" threads. Just goes to show that maintenance issues happen everywhere!

Regarding BCV...I suspect that the studios see more action at this resort than any of the others due to the appeal of Stormalong Bay to families. I think that is why they seem to have so much trouble keeping up with maintenance and general cleanliness. I don't hear too many complaints like these towards the other DVC resorts.
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:17 AM   #21
barrysprot36
Mouseketeer

Our studio at BCV in August was perfect. In fact our room was ready when we checked in after breakfast at Cape May and we went straight to our room. Workmen were just leaving our room where they had been touching up chips on the skirting boards.

We can't wait to stay there again next August

Caron

Aug '97 ~ DLP Sequia Lodge
Aug '02 ~ WDW Indian Ridge Villa
Aug '03 ~ DLP Newport Bay
July '04 ~ CBR
July '06 ~ CR, RPR, AKL
Aug '07 ~ CBR, Poly, free DDP
Aug '08 ~ POFQ, BCV, GF,
May '09 ~ WL CL Aug '09 ~ OKW, VB, SSR, BLT Dec '09 ~ Pop, OKW, BLT, CR Atrium & BCV
May '10 ~ Pop, POR & OKW Aug '10 ~ CSR, RPR & BLT Oct '10 ~ BWV, AKV & BLT
May '11 ~ Sunset Lakes Villa & Vero Beach
July'12 ~ BCV, BLT & Sunset Lakes Villa
Nov'12 ~ DLP Newport Bay
April'13 ~ Pop, RPR & BLT August'13 ~ BLT & OKW
May'14 ~ VGF & Kidani September'14 ~ WBTA, RPR & BLT
barrysprot36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:30 AM   #22
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Judging by the photos on Shaun's trip report, the rooms seem to have been given a freshen up since we were there in January. Although ostensibly the same as the two bed we stayed in, the paintwork looks cleaner and the bedspreads appear to have been replaced.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #23
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Well liked promised we are justed back from 6 nights at the BCV and had a ball
we stayed in a 1 bedroom for the first time
will be hard to go back to a studio again
Our room was great very clean , with everything in working order . All the CM were very friendly to us
The bell person told us that they were starting to do up the rooms the beginning of this month
We got our room request too asked for a pool view which was great because I could watch the boys from the room

BCV is my favourite DVC resort
only have to try the BWV now
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #24
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns View Post
Well liked promised we are justed back from 6 nights at the BCV and had a ball
we stayed in a 1 bedroom for the first time
will be hard to go back to a studio again
Our room was great very clean , with everything in working order . All the CM were very friendly to us
The bell person told us that they were starting to do up the rooms the beginning of this month
We got our room request too asked for a pool view which was great because I could watch the boys from the room

BCV is my favourite DVC resort
only have to try the BWV now
Sounds good, Jackie! Thanks for posting. I spent a week in a 1 bed at BWV at half-term and loved it! Hoping to try BCV next September...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #25
UKDEB

DISboards Moderator

With this thread in mind, I took some photos of our studio at BWV during our November stay. It really didn't matter that much to us as we were overjoyed that the waitlist came through for the IF&WF part of our trip, but I would have been less happy if I hadn't known we'd be moving on to Royal Pacific and then to SSR (both of which were immaculate).

Every item of furniture was chipped or worn. Here is one example:

The finial was missing from one end of the curtain pole, as was part of the toilet roll holder (rendering it useless for holding toilet rolls!). Also, check out the filth in the corner by the toilet. Yeuch!:

Worst of all was the bathroom, which really quite disgusted me. Attempts had been made to cover mould which had formed on the grout and around the edge of the bath, but the repairs looked old and had started to fail. The tiles were also liberally splashed with paint:

Patches of mould were all over the walls and ceiling, too.

And the last few show good old-fashioned muck, which is totally unavoidable and in my opinion, therefore, totally unnacceptable:

I'm assuming these rooms are due for complete refurbishment in line with the rooms at the Inn and they certainly need it.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #26
Halo
Sic transit gloria mundi

Location: London - Host City of the 2012 best ever Olympics & Paralympics :)

The stories and photos in this thread are shocking. These really do need to be raised with senior management at DVC.

The way timeshare works is that the real money to be made by the timeshare company isn't from the upfront sales value - its from the annual maintenance fees payable for the next 40+ years. This dwarfs the actual upfront cost. These fees are massive and give plenty of scope for the properties to be maintained to an exceptionally high level - which is what is required and demanded. If you assume that average dues are say £500 per room, for 52 weeks a year that's £26,000 to spend on maintenance per room. This includes cleaning and general upkeep. The fact that other DVC resorts are well maintained appears to show that the management team at BCV are simply boosting their profitability (and individual bonuses?) by skimping on maintenance and up-keep. Ultimately however this damages the whole brand. Personally I would complain to senior management and seek compensation for the accomodation provided not being Deluxe in any accepted sense.
1993 May - Orlando & Key West........2000 Nov - Dixie Landings & Disney Wonder.........2002/3 Xmas & NY Marriott Cypress Harbour & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress..............2006 Easter: Our first trip "Home" to OKW ..........2007 July/August Washington DC - BWV, OKW, PBH & Marriott Cypress Harbour.........2008 Easter: NYC, Marriott Cypress Harbour and PBH.........2008 October: DL and Vegas..............2009 Easter: WDW - I thought the weather was bad at Easter.....2009 May:.....until I went in May ..........2010 Easter: BLT and RCCL Independence of the Seas TA home.........2010 June: DL & NYC....2011 Easter: NYC & WDW.......2011 May: Disney Magic 11-nights in the Med...2011 Aug: Disney Magic 7-nights in the Med....2012 Easter...AKL & HRH.......2013 Easter: Disney Fantasy 7-nights in W. Caribbean & BCV.....2014 Easter: BOS & AMI & WDW, Marriott Grande Vista...2014 July: Disney Magic 12-nights in the Med

DLP so often I've lost count: Newport Bay, Hotel Cheyenne, Davy Crockett, Paris - and by far the best, Marriott d'Ile-de-France.
Owner at DVC OKW, BLT, Marriott Cypress Harbour, Marriott Harbour Lakes & Marriott Marbella Beach.

Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #27
UKDEB

DISboards Moderator

Whilst I do have an issue with the condition of some of the DVC rooms we've stayed in, there are some major inaccuracies in your assumptions. The individual management teams (associations) of each resort are non-profit making companies. They have to spend every penny of our dues on maintenance (of the entire resort, not just the rooms), taxes, etc. Maintenance, cleaning and the like at all the DVC resorts is contracted out by these associations to DVCMC (Disney Vacation Club Management Company). The amount which DVCMC can charge for its services is also capped in some way.

Just like rooms in a hotel, the standard of a room at any given resort has a direct correlation to its stage in the refurbishment cycle. The new resorts haven't yet reached the tired stage, but they will in time.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #28
Graeme
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDEB View Post
The new resorts haven't yet reached the tired stage, but they will in time.
I've only stayed at two DVC resorts, BWV and OKW. The former was disgusting. Your photos could have been ours. But OKW, although the oldest resort, was immaculate. Even the time we stayed in a room which was showing signs of age, it was very clean. As important to me was the look of the grounds. Again OKW was spotless while BWV was like walking around Stockton town centre at times. (The same cigarette packet was on the communal stairs for our entire stay!)

I always assumed though that the same management company dealt with the maintenance for all the DVC resorts, but if as you say that's not the case then that may explain things a bit.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #29
saratogagirl
I need books, and wine and Ian in order to survive
I couldnt wipe bottoms of strangers
I am strangely refreshed this morning ... and I am off to the butchers soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDEB View Post
With this thread in mind, I took some photos of our studio at BWV during our November stay. It really didn't matter that much to us as we were overjoyed that the waitlist came through for the IF&WF part of our trip, but I would have been less happy if I hadn't known we'd be moving on to Royal Pacific and then to SSR (both of which were immaculate).

Every item of furniture was chipped or worn. Here is one example:

The finial was missing from one end of the curtain pole, as was part of the toilet roll holder (rendering it useless for holding toilet rolls!). Also, check out the filth in the corner by the toilet. Yeuch!:

Worst of all was the bathroom, which really quite disgusted me. Attempts had been made to cover mould which had formed on the grout and around the edge of the bath, but the repairs looked old and had started to fail. The tiles were also liberally splashed with paint:

Patches of mould were all over the walls and ceiling, too.

And the last few show good old-fashioned muck, which is totally unavoidable and in my opinion, therefore, totally unnacceptable:

I'm assuming these rooms are due for complete refurbishment in line with the rooms at the Inn and they certainly need it.

thats disgusting Deb, whilst our room was far from acceptable at the Boardwalk it was not as bad as that, we were of the same opinion as you, we would be moving on soon, had we been there for a long stay a call to someone would certainly have been in order. For all the little things that moithered us about the room, Ians biggest bug bear believe it or not, was the condition of the hallway carpets, absolutely filthy, they really did his head in !! Definately in need of a major refurbishment.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #30
Leanne1977
Loving frozen margaritas

I am horrified by those BWV pictures! That is outrageous!

I'm sorry if I missed it in your post, but did you raise these issues with them? I would not have accepted that, I would have been gutted to say the least.

We have yet to stay at the BWV but I have booked 4 nights with a Boardwalk view for our next trip. Does anyone know if these rooms are due for a refurb, I can see that they clearly need one, but is there a date for it?

On the contrary, we stayed at the BCV in December and it was absolutely wonderful, our favourite DVC resort so far. Cannot wait to add on there. Everything was perfect for us, I couldn't fault a thing.

I am, however, a little concerned about our BWV stay now.

WDW private villa July/August 05
DLP SL Jan/Feb 06, DCR Feb 07, Cheyenne Feb 08
WDW Pop Sept/Oct 06
WDW ASMO/HRH/PC Sept/Oct 07 3 weeks free ddp
WDW SSR/Regal Sun May 08/Aug 08/Dec 08
WDW SSR May 09
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/AKV/DCL Jul/Aug 09
WDW Orange Tree/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/Disney Magic Oct/Nov 2010 Our wedding!
WDW SSR/Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary!
Leanne1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: