Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker
Cutting up foods makes me happy
Shared a flight with Carol Brady
Warning! If I don't know you I might bum a ride to get a haircut!

WHY do people bid and not pay????

New-ish eBay seller here. I just had 76 auctions end, and two winners have not paid. Don't think they're going to, either - it's been 9 days now. I e-mailed them politely a few days ago, then again yesterday morning letting them know that I'd be filing a non-payment dispute at 8pm tonight.

My question is - is 9 days without payment too soon to file a dispute? Is there anything I'm missing? WHY does someone bid and not intend to pay???? Thanks to the experts out there...

May 2005 POR - First trip as a couple
September 2008 POR - Found out we were expecting our middle DD on the last day
September 2009 BCV - Grand Gathering!
April 2010 FW - Tent Camping!
Next trip, February 2013 - Surprise for our 3 kids!
SDFgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
brekin67
DIS Veteran

9 days is reasonable. File the dispute.
brekin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
DiznEeyore
Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member
Dedicated Disney Scrapbooker
Thanks for un-confusing me

They don't pay because there are no consequences for not doing so anymore. I never had problems w/no-pays 'til eBay instituted their ridiculous no-negative-feedback for buyers policy.

I agree -- time to file the dispute.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
mafibisha
DIS Veteran

Same question some of us are asking here on the DIS boards "Come Trade With Us" thread!

Why do people agree to a trade after seeing pictures and discussing everything, then not follow through? (or rip off their fellow dissers)??

And why do they not even PM as to why they aren't? Even if they changed their mind, didn't like the item, didn't think it was worth it, why no communication?

In a word, *RUDE*!!

And sad.

EDITED TO ADD: And probably like the DIS TRADING thread, ebayers probably come back with new screen names, too!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............... ....................

we Disney:

DH Me

and our fur baby

Thank You, maggiew!

Last edited by mafibisha; 09-02-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: to add: They come back with new screen names!
mafibisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

did you request their contact info from ebay? I always get a phone number and at least attempt to call before leaving neg feedback (though I can't leave neg feedback for no-pay bidders anymore but I have no complaints about the policy because my ONE and ONLY neg feedback was from a seller who was ticked that I left him neg feedback because he didn't deliver)
StefaniLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
disney0210
Yes, I'm a disneyholic.

don't mean to hijack the thread but when is a good day to file the non-payment dispute? i had an auction end on sunday night, it has been 48 hours and i clearly stated that payment via paypal was required within 24 hours of auction end...
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney0210 View Post
don't mean to hijack the thread but when is a good day to file the non-payment dispute? i had an auction end on sunday night, it has been 48 hours and i clearly stated that payment via paypal was required within 24 hours of auction end...
You can remind them now but non payment disputes take time.http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/unpaid-item-process.html

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Kim in SPR
Mouseketeer

My DH is a power seller on Ebay. It drives him crazy when someone ends the auction with a bid war at the last minute then waits days to pay. Why would a person see an auction end knowing that they won and not just pay right there???

Good luck with your dispute.
2007 - offsite
2005- offsite
2004 - POP Century
Kim in SPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
ajh88
DIS Veteran

I wish I had an answer for you. I know sometimes things happen - I once had a lady tell me her son bid on a bunch of items without her knowing (I didn't believe her), another who just had buyer's remorse, and others who just never even bothered to respond at all. But how hard would it be to send you a message to let you know - you can mutually agree not to complete the transaction so you can move on. A 2.5% non-pay rate out of 76 auctions isn't terrible, but even 1 NPB is frustrating and IMHO, unacceptable.

My latest was a person who bid 99 cents on an item and never even bothered to answer an email. A non-paying bidder strike over less than $3 total. Who knows!?!

ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #10
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker
Cutting up foods makes me happy
Shared a flight with Carol Brady
Warning! If I don't know you I might bum a ride to get a haircut!

Thanks all. I checked their addresses to see if they lived in the New Orleans area and had to evacuate...but no. They're way up in the northeast.

Oh well, I know a ton of people aren't happy with ebay anymore. I especially don't like the no-negative-feedback-for-sellers policy. But, overall I've been pleased with eBay and most of the transactions that I've completed.

May 2005 POR - First trip as a couple
September 2008 POR - Found out we were expecting our middle DD on the last day
September 2009 BCV - Grand Gathering!
April 2010 FW - Tent Camping!
Next trip, February 2013 - Surprise for our 3 kids!
SDFgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFgirl View Post
Thanks all. I checked their addresses to see if they lived in the New Orleans area and had to evacuate...but no. They're way up in the northeast.

Oh well, I know a ton of people aren't happy with ebay anymore. I especially don't like the no-negative-feedback-for-sellers policy. But, overall I've been pleased with eBay and most of the transactions that I've completed.
Yes, lots of people are unhappy with them but their my bread and butter. They're a LOT better than getting a second job or starting your own business website! I also do Craigslist and my company has a bulletin board where I sell stuff I don't like to ship but eBay will always be my number one seller.

Like the Post office worker said, it's like having a yard sale and inviting a million people!

BTW, I have 1040 feedbacks at 100%, and have NEVER left a bad feedback. I don't feel the need to. If you have a bad transaction, block them and never deal with them again.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznEeyore View Post
They don't pay because there are no consequences for not doing so anymore.
Yep, because they CAN. Try buyinf something from Amazon or Target and not paying first. You can't. This is one of the more stupider concepts of eBay. They should require a credit card as people register and simply take the funds out from the winning bidder & transfer it automatically to the Seller. It would stop the majority of problems for the Seller.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Nie0214
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznEeyore View Post
They don't pay because there are no consequences for not doing so anymore. I never had problems w/no-pays 'til eBay instituted their ridiculous no-negative-feedback for buyers policy.
I haven't used ebay since maybe December of 2007, I can't believe there is no way to leave negative feedback for buyers! It's sorted by buyer/seller auctions, so people can see if they are a bad bidder! WOW! Horrible.
Nie0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
mafibisha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
Yep, because they CAN. Try buyinf something from Amazon or Target and not paying first. You can't. This is one of the more stupider concepts of eBay. They should require a credit card as people register and simply take the funds out from the winning bidder & transfer it automatically to the Seller. It would stop the majority of problems for the Seller.

Exactly. Because they can.

Same thing with the DIS boards: "Come Trade With Us" thread.

Sorry but there are too many of us still waiting for our trades.

One poster has kept a list of names (and addresses in case they come back with a different name) so you can check and see if they follow through. I think its called the *name and shame* list!

we Disney:

DH Me

and our fur baby

Thank You, maggiew!
mafibisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney0210 View Post
You can send them a reminder email but you can't file a dispute until seven days after the auction ends. The first step in the dispute is an alert from ebay. Then you have to wait another seven days before you can request your final value fees back from ebay. Once you request the final value credit, they buyer will get an unpaid strike.

Usually the first step (the unpaid alert from ebay) is enough to get my slower buyers to make payment. I very rarely have to request the final value credit.

Just a comment, you saying you want payment within 24 hours is fine and dandy but there is really is no way to enforce that unless you require immediate payment. I don't know if you can do that with auctions but you can do that with buy it nows.

I give my buyers ten days to pay before I file the alert. I am a little lenient but I get a lot of repeat buyers that way.
missj1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: