Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #151
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

# 5 It’s not a cabin it’s a “log home”

Matt took us past several houses on the mountain, ones that were occupied and ones being built. I don’t like the houses that are just built against the mountain with no yard. Those scare me . We could see their cabin from the road above. Then we went back to the house to turn the lights on so Marianne could see it lit up in the dark. We were laughing about seeing the cabin from all views. The conversation went like this:

Marianne: “Oh my you are going to tell people that all we did the last night was look at the house. Please God forgive me.” We started giggling.
Bill: “What about me? I have spent more time in the van then I have the cabin”. We giggled even more.
Matt: “You, what about me? I have spent the whole time going up and down the mountain to the muffler shop”. We all lost it and were laughing so hard.

It was great to have us all laughing together. We got back to the cabin, which Marianne informed us was “not a cabin, it is a log home”, and I couldn’t believe the view out of the Great Room windows:

See that circle on the upper right? That is the moon, horrible picture, but I tried. It was gorgeous to see that through the windows. We went out on the kitchen deck to start the fireplace and I tried to take another picture of the moon:

Here is the fireplace (lit up with my flash):

It was time for bed, they wanted to be gone by noon, but I had other plans. I was up at 6:30am, had Bill ready by 7:30am and we were out of there by 9:15am. Marianne didn’t want me helping her clean anything, they took pictures of Bill in front of the “log home” and I took a picture of Marianne’s Charlie Brown tree:

See why she calls it that? The people that put the irrigation in screwed something up and poor Charlie didn’t get enough water, I sure hope he makes it. I am going to take a picture of him at Christmas for an update. We told them goodbye and I got to drive down the mountain. I didn’t like it one bit . Give me the flat ground in Southern Illinois any day.

Gas in some places was up to $4.99 a gallon, it was crazy. After we got through Knoxville we stopped at Cracker Barrel to eat. It was getting really windy. We got back on the road and on our way. I didn’t know that we were driving through some of the after effects of Ike, but we were. On our drive I saw this picture, it reminded me of our great TR writer Buzz:

Brown Squirrel Furniture, Buzz loves squirrels .

The Sirius radio was changed out by Matt before we left, so it was NFL games the entire way home. We listened to the Patriots play then and the Colts. When we pulled into our apartment parking lot we saw many people standing outside which was odd. Come to find out about 8:30am there had been a pretty bad storm and the power was off in the building. The building has a generator which usually turns everything back on, for some reason the only thing the generator was running was the elevators. At least we could get back to our apartment. I text Scott and told him I wouldn’t be back Enchanted that night CRY. We went out, had dinner and came back and went to sleep.

The next day the power still wasn’t on, we went to get Ace and he was so happy to see us. We scheduled the rest of his “visits” for the year and went to a park with him. He had fun sniffing around. We decided to go to Best Buy and ended up buying Bill a laptop (darn power outage, we wouldn’t have went there if the power was on in our part of town). We took Ace to PetCo, it is his zoo, he loves watching the ferrets, birds, fish, and mice. We gave a friend of ours that lives in the building our number to call us if the power came back on, and she did!! YAY!! I was so happy.

Ace was worn out. We got him in the door and he immediately went to his spot on the couch and crashed.

This concludes my mini trip report about the mountains, I hope you enjoyed it. Now I can get back to my PTR and Disney planning.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #152
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

Great report Tracy! That place looks so stunningly beautiful! I love the mountains!

Oh, and BTW...guess what I got in the mail yesterday? (My Mickey nail stickers - love them! Thanks!)

Sara
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #153
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mek View Post
Great report Tracy! That place looks so stunningly beautiful! I love the mountains!

Oh, and BTW...guess what I got in the mail yesterday? (My Mickey nail stickers - love them! Thanks!)

Sara
Hi Sara, thank you so much for reading. I am glad you got some nail stickers too!!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #154
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Your picture of the turkey cracked me up because we had 10 of them in our backyard today. They're actually around a lot but this is the first time I "caught" them. They are one ugly bird!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #155
mkluvsmickey
DIS Veteran

More gorgeous pictures Tracy! What a nice little trip for you two. The Christmas shop looks great! My MIL went there while we were in Pigeon Forge and got tons of stuff!

And you should definately try Dixie Stampede when you go back - fun time!

Last edited by mkluvsmickey; 09-27-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Sara - Will you share your nail stickers? :)
Old 09-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #156
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your mini-TR with us. The pictures of the Smokey Mountains were beautiful!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #157
Goofyluver
Knock Knock
edited to make myself look better!rrrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwrrrrr
...pssst pssst...
toilet paper is dangerous

Is it REALLY a coincidence that Bill's room is NEXT to the wet bar??? I think not!

And !!!! Bill's an Arteest!

Great rest of your trip.

Bill...honey...you need to smile. Tracy is going to post pics of you here whether you want her to or not. Besides...it makes your eyes sparkle!

I WANT THE CABIN!

And let's all have a moment of silence for the dear tree. Hope that thing's still standing during Christmas!

Now hurry up! Get going to Disney. Get to the "good" stuff!
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #158
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Your picture of the turkey cracked me up because we had 10 of them in our backyard today. They're actually around a lot but this is the first time I "caught" them. They are one ugly bird!
They are unique looking. It just shocked me that we saw one. He better stay off the road all the construction trucks will smash him flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkluvsmickey View Post
More gorgeous pictures Tracy! What a nice little trip for you two. The Christmas shop looks great! My MIL went there while we were in Pigeon Forge and got tons of stuff!

And you should definately try Dixie Stampede when you go back - fun time!
Thanks Michelle. I liked the Christmas store, I think I just was wanting to go home, I really missed Ace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Thanks for sharing your mini-TR with us. The pictures of the Smokey Mountains were beautiful!
Thanks Lessa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyluver View Post
Is it REALLY a coincidence that Bill's room is NEXT to the wet bar??? I think not!

And !!!! Bill's an Arteest!

Great rest of your trip.

Bill...honey...you need to smile. Tracy is going to post pics of you here whether you want her to or not. Besides...it makes your eyes sparkle!

I WANT THE CABIN!

And let's all have a moment of silence for the dear tree. Hope that thing's still standing during Christmas!

Now hurry up! Get going to Disney. Get to the "good" stuff!
I have never seen Bill drink anything but soda around his parents, I have had wine with them but Bill doesn't like wine, he is hardcore.

That poor tree did look pathetic, I hope it makes it. I am trying to hurry up and get to Disney, I wish I was there now. We will be at the 20 day mark tomorrow !!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #159
Goofyluver
Knock Knock
edited to make myself look better!rrrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwrrrrr
...pssst pssst...
toilet paper is dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
I have never seen Bill drink anything but soda around his parents, I have had wine with them but Bill doesn't like wine, he is hardcore.

Bill???? I am SHOCKED!!!!
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:26 PM   #160
SwansLoveDisney
DIS Veteran

Such gorgeous views!

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I loved seeing all the pictures.

The scrapbooking stuff that you bought is so cute! How did you resist the Disney Christmas stuff?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #161
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyluver View Post

Bill???? I am SHOCKED!!!!
I couldn't believe it either when I first started going out with him. He drinks Southern Comfort and Coke or Captain Morgan and Coke. At Disney he likes Bahama Mamas .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwansLoveDisney View Post
Such gorgeous views!

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I loved seeing all the pictures.

The scrapbooking stuff that you bought is so cute! How did you resist the Disney Christmas stuff?
Thank you so much for reading along. I could have bought so much more scrapbooking stuff but I told myself no. As for resisting the Disney Christmas stuff, it was hard but I told myself I would actually be in Disney twice very soon and I wanted to spend the money there .
Old 09-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #162
*KeepMovingForward*

DIS Veteran

The inside of the cabin is gorgeous! I also am in love with the view you had from both the cabin and the observation area. Now I would have lost total control at the scrapbooking store-your a good woman for having only bought a few items! Thats a bummer about coming back to no power, but hey...now Bill has a brandy dandy new laptop! I'm so glad you shared your trip to the mountains with us and now I'm looking forward to hearing about Disney!
Old 09-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #163
ddm118
Earning My Ears

Tracy - awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing your mini trip with us!
Old 09-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #164
luvfigment
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
DIS Veteran

Great Mini-TR Tracy! Thanks for sharing with us. I really like some of the scrapbooking stuff you bought. I used to scrapbook a lot but then got too busy and need to do some BADLY! I also sometimes find shopping for scrapbooking is more fun than actually doing the scrapbooking.

Looking forward to seeing if there are any changes in plans for your trip!
1983 Off Property~1986 Polynesian~1987 Off Property~1988 Disney Village Resort~1989 CBR-Jamaica~1990 Swan~1992 CBR-Aruba~1994 Dixie Landings~1996 Dixie~1998 Grad Night at All Star Sports~ 1998 Dixie~1999 Yacht Club~2001 OKW~2004 Shades of Green~2005 AKL (DH's first trip)~2006 First trip to Disneyland-Paradise Pier~2006 AKL~Oct 2007 Disneymoon Polynesian~Sept. 2008 ASMu~Oct. 2008 Wilderness Lodge CL 1 yr Anniversary~Sept 2013 Wilderness Lodge~
Old 09-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #165
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Your "in-laws" have such a beautiful place. The turkey picture cracked me up too - there were a pair of them down at the end of my street last week. My friend, who lives about a mile away, has a semi-wild turkey in her neighborhood that her neighbor has taken to feeding! Now it's trying to take over the neighborhood and assert itself over all of the kids. It tried to pick a fight with my car last spring - it kept running in front of me every time I tried to drive away. I just sat there and honked my horn until the "owner" came out and picked him up and carried him home! Crazy people!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: