Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
emmaleigh47
Mouseketeer

Better Late Than Never/"How I Learned 2 Love Myself" - May 2007 Trip Report

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a spontaneous Disney Trip.

This is a true story of two classmates who decided to take a spontaneous graduation trip to the land of happiness - ORLANDO/WDW for nine glorious days and nights. I had never been away from home that long (or away from my husband for that long either), but figured "its the land of happiness, what could possibly go wrong." Well, let's just say that I had a great time... but lesson learned - never go on vacation with anyone you don't know well, because you REALLY will know them well by the end.

So where did it go wrong.... stay tuned.

First, lets tell you a bit more about the players...

Me 27 years old and true lover of all things Disney. Was looking forward to this trip because the first time I went was with DH's family and I was not allowed to plan or say anything. This time all of the planning was up to me, and I was determined to have a better time. I planned all of the park days, meals, experiences, etc because my friend did not want to do it. I especially love DHS and Epcot and honestly don't care as much for the MK as most people.

Nan: 35 years old and hadn't been to Disney since the 1990's. Wasn't into planning, but did make it clear that she likes breakfasts and late dinners. Doesn't like to stay up too late though, and definately cranky if she doesn't get sleep. Loves animals and shows, not big on the thrill rides.

We stayed off site (silly I know) so no DDP -- and honestly I didnt even know much about it at the time. No EMH either for obvious reasons. We stayed at the Sheraton Celebration, something we would definately regret later.

My trip style: I am not a total commando (have yet to be present for a rope drop) but do like to go all day and rest at the end of the day. She seemed okay with that idea.... little did I know how quickly things would change.

First On Site 2008 AsMo, 1st Anniversary Tip
Link to Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post27302389

Last edited by emmaleigh47; 09-02-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
emmaleigh47
Mouseketeer

Now before I can continue, I have to give you some background information which will be helpful.

My first trip to Disney was in 2003 with my then future husband and his sister/husband, mother, and father. His sister, well let's just describe her as assertive to be nice. This is the women who told me that she hated my bridesmaid dress because it made her look fat and insisted on ordering it from a different bridal salon even though there was a risk the dye lot wouldnt match. Alas, I digress. When we took the trip I knew nothing about Disney and we did everything that she told us. We were up super early, and home super late and it was an exhausting trip. I only wanted to do one thing "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and was told that "we didnt have time for that. LOL, perhaps the reason I dont like MK was because we spent ALL morning in line for Dumbo and Pooh and didnt get to Tomorrowland until 3pm. So, I tried super hard to include Nan in the planning, but she just didnt want it. She kept saying "whatever you think" LOL

One more thing you should know about us. Nan and I are nurse practitioners, in fact this trip was a celebration graduation present after surviving years of graduate school and working on that dreaded thesis. We both have a wealth of medical knowledge. Nan currently works in occupational health and I currently work in Cardiology (not sure why you need to know that, just felt like telling you)

Next episode.... getting to the airport!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
curlz2tite
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to your report
3 trips during the 1990's with DH & DD, ,
2005 at ASMO
2006 at POP,

2007 20th wedding anniversary at POP

Dec 2-11, 2008 trip at POP

Halloween Oct 24-Nov2 2010 Oct24 -Nov 4 2011
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
jackdis
DIS Veteran

I'm here.....thanks for the link in your siggie!!!
1990 WDW Grad Nite 2003 Swan and Dolphin Disney Wonder Aug. 2004 Hawaii June 2005 POFQ April 2006 CBR June-July 2006 POP Aug. 2006 POP February 2007 HawaiiMar.-Apr. 2007 POPJuly NCL Cruise to Bermuda Aug.-Sept. 2007 POP November 2007 POP Feb. 2008 NOLA/Carnival Cruise to Mexico March2008POPMay 2008 RCCL Bahamas/EPCOTAugust 2008 POLY CL Dec. 08/Jan. 09 CBR Feb. 2009 POFQ JULY 2009 POLY CL
March 2010 BLT JULY 2010 BLTFeb 2011 1 night at BLT post cruiseJULY 2011 BLT
July 2012 Off property
July 2013 BLT/AKL
Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
spencers_girl
Earning My Ears

Reading along.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
addicted2dizney
DIS Veteran

I'm in.. looking forward to hearing about your trip!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
emmaleigh47
Mouseketeer

The Pre-Quel

It's Sunday, time to start the trip. Being that we are from a small town and that I took the first flight, we decided to drive to Milwaukee and send the night at a hotel (which also houses the car too for the week). Yesterday was one of the most magical days ever - Nan and I finally graduated from graduate school, NO MORE THESIS EVER! After graduation I went out with my best friend and then home to finish packing, armed with a list from the DISboards. LOL, in fact, dummy me taped the list to the bedroom wall and when I took it down, it took the paint with it. OOPS!

Nan had invited my husband and I to a family cookout before we left for Milwaukee. DH did not want to go, but he did want to see me off so he did stay. Wow, all of these people.... lol and DH looked like he wanted to shoot himself (very shy hates being with people that he doesnt know). It started raining cats and dogs but we needed to leave. Nan commented that she didnt like to drive in the rain. I offered to drive, alas she said she would "figure it out somehow." Geez, thats exactly what I like to hear from the person driving me in a large city...."

We arrive at the hotel and I am starved... need food now! Offered about ten different restaurant choices, felt like I was dealing with Goldilocks because every choice was too far, didnt want to walk, too close to drive, too spicy, too boring. So where we end up.....

Mcdonald's --- dead serious it was the only place that she did not veto. After dinner I was excited, but knew that I had to get to bed because we had to be up early......

Old 09-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
emmaleigh47
Mouseketeer

So the alarm goes off the next morning and I pop out of bed and into the shower. I wake up Nan who hollars "I'm awake, I'm awake can you shut up and leave me alone" I assumed that anyone speaking that much had to be awake (and how can you sleep with a trip to Disney on your mind) so I got into the shower to get ready. I come out of the shower and Nan has not moved, not ONE inch. I wake up her finally, and she accuses me of never waking her up. "I have to take a shower or I will just feel icky." I point out that it is not 2 hours and 45 minutes prior to the flight and we NEED to get going. Nan insists on taking a shower, so I actually packed up some of her stuff so that we wouldnt be late. She emerges about 15 minutes later and I am mad. Bad enough that you had to take a shower but seriously a 15 minute one. Then she wants to blow dry her hair. Okay at this point I draw the line, there is like 2 hours to the flight. I hollared "that is what ponytails are for" as I packed her blow dryer. I told her that I didnt want to miss the flight... and she agrees.

Off to the airport we go. Through security, now there is 1 hour and 30 minutes to the flight. Off to the metal detectors - I travel with a stuffed panda that I sleep with (its a medical thing, decreases compression of the nerve in my hand). Well I always bring it in my carry-on. Well going through security, something came back positive with my bag, so they searched it and these airport people were eyeing my panda (like maybe there was something inside it). I was totally freaking out ... but in the end they left my panda alone. But Nan, well she did not listen to the 3oz rule and lost alot of her hair stuff (shampoo and conditioner) and then she started to make a scene demanding a manager. I just took her over to the sign that said no more than 3OZ.... like seriously who doesnt know that by now...

I look down at the clock, and it is like 40 miuntes to the flight. Nan declares "Im hungry, I need to get something to eat on the plane." I informed her that if we dont move it we wont even have a plane to get on. She spends a few minutes arguing with me as we are rapidly walkiing to the gate asking multiple times to stop.....

I am determined we are going to make that plane.....

Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
littleteapot
Privileged to be learning from the DIS-masters

I'm in

Wow Disneyland was Fantastic November 2005, Loved the World November 2006, Back to the Land January 2008, 10 days of fun December 2008, 7 days weren't quite enough December 2009, Mom and Daughter trip to Disneyland July 2012
Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
addicted2dizney
DIS Veteran

Wow, it's amazing Nan made it through grad school given the fact that she can't figure out if she's not actually near the plane, she can't board the plane!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #11
loribell
Proud Redhead
Started watching them play when I was little
Wouldn't the sugars from the ice cream be better used early in the day instead of late in the evening?

This sounds like it is going to be a fun trip. NOT!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
emmaleigh47
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell View Post
This sounds like it is going to be a fun trip. NOT!
LOL, people generally post one of two types of trip reports. Either something magical and wonderful happens.... or its a disaster of a trip and they need to vent about it. I'll let you guess which one this report is.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
Amy7979
Mouseketeer

I'm in!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
addicted2dizney
DIS Veteran

eagerly waiting the next installment!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
Heluvsme