Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #91
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

321 Welcome Home!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Magic Kingdom, Day One

I woke up bright and early to the alarm at 6:15 this morning. I literally jumped out of bed and started getting ready right way. Why, you may ask? Because today I was going to experience the dream of every child in America and many more around the world.

I was going to the Magic Kingdom.

I knew it was a lot like my Disneyland, where I’ve gone nearly every single year of my life. But it was still the fact of seeing THIS Magic Kingdom. THIS castle. THIS Main Street. I guess I really can’t describe it right. No words really fit the magic that is Disney.

So we knew we had to be at the gate for opening. BEFORE opening. So we were on our way quickly that morning.

(I think it had been raining earlier that morning).

We drove beneath the Walt Disney World sign at about 7:20. Soon enough we saw this.

I was so excited, I accidently took this.

When we pulled up to pay for the daily parking, they proclaimed that it was Mickey’s Magical Day and that all parking was FREE.

Whoo-hoo.

Our first (and only) Year of a Million Dreams surprise. Sleepy was excited beyond words. Our day was getting magical already.

We pulled into the parking lot and this was all that was there.

Honest to goodness. Only ONE row of cars. Not even a whole row. We were among those in the first row of parking. We were in space 35.

We got out of the car and practically skipped (well, me and Sleepy did at least) down to the TTC.

We were thankful we wouldn’t be using these.

Here’s Mickey welcoming us to his home.

As soon as we got to the gates, we realized that today was EMH—we’d thought it had been the day after. So we were forced to watch the happy families who stayed at Disney resorts as they made their way to start their magical day.

Sleepy and Grumpy look happy.

Edgy shot.

All the while, they were taunting us with this, just in front of us.

Sleepy took a picture of this seeing as we were pressed up right against it.

Then I came in for this.

Just after this was taken—we heard them. Yup. Foreign singing teenagers. Getting off busses in hordes. AHHH!!!! Not again. This was just getting plain ridiculous. Three days now. THREE.

Something was not right.

A CM came up to us at the gate and started a conversation up with Sleepy and Grumpy about the visit so far to WDW. They spoke for a few minutes then he walked away. I looked at my clock. It was almost time!!
Minutes later, the same CM came out on the other side of the gate with a family. He made a speech and announced that the park would be staying open an extra hour later that night! Hooray…

NOW LET US IN!!!!!!!!!

The family helped him count down the official opening to the Magic Kingdom. CM’s stood guard at the gate, ready to throw them open. Everyone pushed up against them, ready to run.

“3…2…1… WELCOME HOME!!!!”

And away we flew!

Up Next:Wait, Wait. I didn't see it.
Mom, My Hand's Smell--A First Timer's Trip Report--Now Complete

Last edited by NotSoEvilStepmother; 12-07-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #92
grandpaof3
Been there too often?

Another update!!!!!

You look adorable in front of the Mickey - Minnie gate.
Looks like a good day was in store, even Grumpy was smiling . Hope I'm right.

I remember walking down Main Street and seeing the Castle for the first time. I was carrying my 4 yr. old Daughter and I'm not sure who was more impressed. She claims that she doesn't remember that moment but I'll never forget it. After 14 trips it's still a Magical sight.

I was in Calif. for one day in 1966 and Disneyland was closed. Never had the chance to try again.

Looking forward to your first impression of the MK.
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #93
Momof626x3
Mouseketeer

I'm enjoying your trip report! You tell a great story! I can't wait to hear about your first impressions of the Magic Kingdom!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #94
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Magic Kingdom is just such an exciting place, isn't it? I love it and miss it!

Hope the teenagers don't get in your way while you are there!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #95
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaof3 View Post
Another update!!!!!

You look adorable in front of the Mickey - Minnie gate.
Looks like a good day was in store, even Grumpy was smiling . Hope I'm right.

I remember walking down Main Street and seeing the Castle for the first time. I was carrying my 4 yr. old Daughter and I'm not sure who was more impressed. She claims that she doesn't remember that moment but I'll never forget it. After 14 trips it's still a Magical sight.

I was in Calif. for one day in 1966 and Disneyland was closed. Never had the chance to try again.

Looking forward to your first impression of the MK.
Disneyland closed????? Those words together are completely foreign to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof626x3 View Post
I'm enjoying your trip report! You tell a great story! I can't wait to hear about your first impressions of the Magic Kingdom!!!!
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Magic Kingdom is just such an exciting place, isn't it? I love it and miss it!

Hope the teenagers don't get in your way while you are there!
We'll just have to see...
Old 11-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #96
irky416
DIS Veteran

Great update! Can't wait to hear about your day in MK!
Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #97
vdarrell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoEvilStepmother View Post
Thanks for joining and thanks for the compliments.

My teachers don't really like me (well, other than my drama teacher, she ADORES me). In fact, I think my English teacher likes me less than all of my other teachers, but she's kinda...
I love creative writing (and story telling writing, such as a TR) but my school district doesn't really understand that. It's all persuassive (or various other boring) essays, all the time.

Wow. Raking leaves. I have NEVER had to do that before, but part of me kind of wants to know what it's like. I'm just weird I guess.

Hey, I have alot of leaves you can come rake

Now what is this about the teachers not liking you.....NO WAY how could they not. As for writing, your TR is great and you certainly have a way with creative writing.

Loved the picture of you by the gate smack dab in the middle.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #98
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdarrell View Post
Hey, I have alot of leaves you can come rake

Now what is this about the teachers not liking you.....NO WAY how could they not. As for writing, your TR is great and you certainly have a way with creative writing.

Loved the picture of you by the gate smack dab in the middle.
Well, none of my ACADEMIC teachers really like me--or my French teacher. She likes the suck ups. But, like I think I said, my drama teacher adores me (she's a Disney lover too ). And my dance teacher doesn't think I'm half bad--maybe cuz I'm not falling over while trying it do a pivot anymore. But I sure do love creative writing. If only I had TIME anymore.

Thanks about the picture comment. I was really tired which equals especially silly that morning. The Disney magic was just beginning to start.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #99
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!
Mine was a lot of fun and I got a day of moderate rest. Today we put up the all important Christmas decorations and had a lot of fun doing that.
And in case anyone is wondering, yes the TOFUrkey was marvelous!
Old 11-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #100
grandpaof3
Been there too often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoEvilStepmother View Post
Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!
Mine was a lot of fun and I got a day of moderate rest. Today we put up the all important Christmas decorations and had a lot of fun doing that.
And in case anyone is wondering, yes the TOFUrkey was marvelous!
OMG what in the world is happening to the younger generation?????

I'm not sure the Pilgrims would have approved of TOFUrkey.

We had a great Thanksgiving here, actually at my Daughter's house, and I must admit that I went very easy on the turkey but made a rather large dent in the veggie trays. One must eat in a healthy manner after all.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #101
LaurenMic
LaurenMic

I'll admit it, I have been lurking!

Love your report, can't wait for more laughs
Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #102
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenMic View Post
I'll admit it, I have been lurking!

Love your report, can't wait for more laughs
Thanks for joining in!

Sorry I haven't been updating, everyone. School's busy, busy, busy right now and I'm drowning there. And I just had Pirates auditions so that's going to be taking up my time now on too. And the holidays. Ack! I shouldn't even be on here but I have the excuse of needing to use my computer for homework.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #103
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Wait Wait. I didn抰 see it!

Sorry for going so long without an update guys. With auditions for Pirates of Penzance, my absolutely disastrous dance concert (literally), and having to write five papers, read two books, a play, rehearse for three other plays I’m in, get in Christmas shopping (which I finished, thank goodness) be a good daughter and student (which quite often fall into the same category), create some Christmas gifts, and getting ready for finals and state testing, I’ve hardly had time to write, let alone breathe or use the computer all together. Whew. Ok. So when I left you, we had just gotten done waiting for them to open the Magic Kingdom.

Magic Kingdom, Day One, Part deux

We basically led the majority of the crowd to the monorail and hopped on the one that was just coming into the station. I could hardly contain myself. I was practically jumping off my seat. The three year old sitting across from me was looking at me like I was some sort of freak. Sleepy was jumping with me and even Grumpy looked a little happy.

We passed by the Contemporary Resort and I turned away from the window that would be going right against the Magic Kingdom. We hopped off of the monorail and nearly ran down the ramp. We were patient while they checked our bags then zipped on through the turnstiles. We passed the front of the train station and while we were underneath, Sleepy took a picture of this.

I should have been warned here.

We passed through and it was magical. Characters like Pinocchio, Jiminy Cricket, Gepetto, and Chip and Dale were greeting with kids. Cast Members stood at the edge of the sidewalk wearing Mickey Mouse gloves and waving to everyone.

I got a blurry picture of this.

“I have to go to the restroom,” Sleepy announced. “Let’s find one.”

We went towards City Hall, trying to fight the opening crowds. I could only sideways glance at Main Street. I wanted to see that castle.

“Wait,” I said. “I missed it!”

“You’ve already seen the one in California, you’ll be fine for now,” Grumpy announced. And we pushed on through the crowds.

Dejected, I snapped a hurried picture of this.

While we waited for Sleepy, I asked Grumpy how he was liking Disney World so far. His response:

Sleepy finally came out of the restroom and we could go. We walked right down the middle of Main Street U.S.A. (Name that song!) towards the castle.

Then we snapped a picture of this just for some friends and family. Why… I have no idea…

With one last picture(which didn’t turn out so good)…

We headed off towards Tomorrowland!

Continued in next post

Last edited by NotSoEvilStepmother; 12-07-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #104
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

The Unofficial Guide’s plan told us to go straight towards Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin.

We have something similar to this (I’m not sure if it’s the same thing or not) at Disneyland. I always did pitiful with that. I’m proud to say that I did quite a bit better this time. But Sleepy still slaughtered us all.

We skipped (quite literally for me and Sleepy…Grumpy, not so much) towards Winnie the Pooh. Sleepy and Grumpy had to drag me away from the Tea Cups. I never would get my chance to ride them. We joined Pooh and his Woodland friends on a very blustery day then spent some time in the gift shop, giving everything a good look over.

We decided to skip Snow White as it scared us all the last time we were in Disneyland. We joined Peter and Wendy and the Boys in a marvelous flight over London and through Never Land. I absolutely love this ride and how it’s done. Very cool.

To Grumpy’s dismay, we next ventured onto It’s a Small World.

We laughed a little bit at the notion of the line being inside, but soon discovered it was quite a good idea when the sun is beating down on your head. All that morning, we hadn’t ventured upon a line that was more than 5 minutes long (yet another reason why I love the UG). And Small World was no exception. Within 2 minutes, we were waving good-bye at the loading platform…

And we were on our way.

Up Next: Grim, Grinning, Ghosts give great giant giggles

Last edited by NotSoEvilStepmother; 12-20-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #105
grandpaof3
Been there too often?

OK, let's see, from auditions for Pirates to State testing I count only about 17 item not counting eating, sleeping, bathing, doing boring homework and probably a sundry of other necessary activities that have been keeping you busy and your asking us, your loyal followers, to belive you haven't had time to update your TR!!!!! I mean really!!!!!

Actually your activities make me so happy that my schooling days came to an end many years ago.

That little girl on the Monorail obviously had never been exposed to a true Disney freak before. Give her a few years and she will fully understand the excitement.
If you have to be a freak a Disney one wins every time!

You can't blame Sleepy for staking out the Rest Rooms but opting to use one when you were that close to seeing Cindy's castle for the first time is almost unforgivable.

I'm sorry if this sound critical but I didn't see even one OOOOH or AAAAH when you saw the Castle for the first time. You must feel that written words just can't do it justice.

I skipped the Teacups and Small World this year. That song is going through my head as I'm typing this.

Another sideways picture! There goes my neck again.

Enough for now. See you latter.

P.S.
It's good to see Grumpy smiling again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: