Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #76
irky416
DIS Veteran

Great updates! I don't know how I missed them. I like the Norway pictures!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #77
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaof3 View Post
Tell Sleepy that she makes a great Viking! Wouldn't want her coming at me with that sword!

I thought the boat ride in Norway & Mexico were a lot of fun. Too bad there aren't more rides in the other Countries.

China was OK but we bought a pair of Foo Dogs there a few years ago that, we later learned, were not made in China. That's the one time you would want a "Made in China" label.

All those sideways pictures are giving me a sore neck by the way!
In Sleepy's words to your compliment, "Oh, how nice." I love the boatrides in Mexico and Norway...they're probably some of my favorite rides in all of EPCOT. Foo Dogs??? I have yet to learn what those are... Haha! There's always a "Made in China" tag on stuff until you expect it! That's funny. But I'm easily amused. I deplore the sideways pictures, but that's all that the photographer took. Poo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irky416 View Post
Great updates! I don't know how I missed them. I like the Norway pictures!
Thanks! I actually don't like many of the pictures taken on my camera. That's why I bought a nice, shiny, new one that takes amazing pictures.
And... it's easy to miss something that isn't regularly updated. I'm just glad you found your way over.
Mom, My Hand's Smell--A First Timer's Trip Report--Now Complete
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #78
grandpaof3
Been there too often?

Hi.

A Foo Dog or Fu Dog is a figurine depicting a pair of actually lions. They are usually green in color with a rather fierce expression on there faces. They are also called Imperial Guardian Lions. Fu in Chinese means happiness and the figurines are called Rui Shi in Chinese. There is also a breed of dog named Foo Dog in China hence the name Foo Dog for the figurines. I would have stuck with the Lion name but they didn't ask me.

B.C.N.U.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #79
vdarrell
DIS Veteran

Love the picture of you and Grumpy with the vikings horn hats but now I know whose boss in the family...Sleepy of course she has the biggest horns.

Glad to hear you are slowing down enough to post we missed you.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #80
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdarrell View Post
Love the picture of you and Grumpy with the vikings horn hats but now I know whose boss in the family...Sleepy of course she has the biggest horns.

Glad to hear you are slowing down enough to post we missed you.
Sleepy IS the boss of the family. Most definately.
I've slowed down just a tiny bit, but I'm still getting layers and layers of homework in my AP classes. Go figure. Which reminds me...I'd better get offline and start on that 10 page paper due next week.
Your trip is getting so close! How goes the picture posting?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #81
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

The Mad Search for a chocolate bar

Hey y’all. So, I’ve been pretty sad lately (I blame it on too many of you going to Disney, leaving me at home) so I figure that I’d better do something to try to temporarily forget it. So, you guys benefit by getting a new update. So, here we go. The mad search for a candy bar…. This is a fairly picture-less chapter because it was getting late and I was tired of having the camera strap stuck to my palm and Sleepy’s camera was on the fritz…again.

When I last left you, we were on our way to Italy after experiencing some of the fabulous World Showcase. We checked out some of the pavilion….

Bad shot.

Then we went inside the shop to check out what they had. I spent a great deal of time looking at the Carnival masks, but when I caught the price tag of what must have been the cheapest one, I went and found where Grumpy and Sleepy were hiding. I found a packet of postcards from each of the pavilions but after waiting nearly 20 minutes for someone to show up at the register, we decided just to leave it for another time.

But our time wasn’t wasted because as we came out, we came face to face with this.

ROMEO AND EDNA by the World Showcase Players! I’d watched a video of this a hundred times on youtube (thanks to ru42… the ultimate supplier of Disney parks videos). I begged Grumpy and Sleepy to sit and watch it. They conformed, and we found an empty bench and watched one of the most non-famous non-Shakespearean, Shakespearean plays of all time. We were on the Montague’s side.

Our elderly Romeo.

After the show was done, and they had packed up, and the crowd dispersed, we stayed seated, debating what to do.
“I really don’t feel like finishing up the rest of the Showcase.”

Did that come from me? I was exhausted. My camera was already packed away and everything.

“Me neither,” Grumpy agreed.

“And seeing as we’re gonna have an early, early day tomorrow, why don’t we just finish the rest of the Showcase on Thursday before our ADR’s?”

“Sounds good.”

As we stood up to leave, via the boat, Sleepy announced that she wanted to get that chocolate she’d been looking at earlier.

“The one in Germany or in Norway?”

“The first one.”

“Ummm… The first one I said…or the first one we looked at?”

“The first one we looked at.”

I didn’t remember her debating any chocolate in Norway… “Are you sure?”

“Uh…yeah.”

Because we love Sleepy so much, we started the trek against the crowd towards Norway. As we passed the shop in Germany that she’d been looking at all the chocolate, I asked her if she was positive that it was in Norway.

“Yes.”

We got to Norway, looked around the shop (this time avoiding the hats), she announced she couldn’t find the chocolate. She asked a CM where the candy was and was pointed to the corner she’d looked at earlier.

“Is it here?”

“Ummm…I think it was at the other one.”

“You mean Germany?”

“…Yeah…”

It’s a good thing I love Sleepy.

“Let’s just get it on Thursday,” an over-eager (to leave) Grumpy said.

We were fine with that. Because we were in Norway and the line was short, we rode Maelstrom again to my joy and Sleepy and Grumpy’s despair. It was just as good as the first time.

We left the Showcase and towards Future World. We went to Test Track really quickly to use our FastPasses and went back to the center of FW. I found the pin cart and I bought my first pin at Disney (I have others from outlet stores). A Boston Red Sox Mickey pin (go Sox!) much to the despair of diehard Dbacks fan Grumpy. Then we left the park.

As we left, I made it very clear that we had to be at the Magic Kingdom very early the next morning. I just hoped that Grumpy and Sleepy would be able to keep their promise at 6:00 AM the next morning.

Up Next: 3…2…1… Welcome home!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #82
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

It's amazing how World Showcase can wipe a person out, isn't it? I always feel like I have actually gone around the world by the time we finish it.

I love those carnival masks, too, but, sadly, had the same reaction when I saw the price tags.

Does Norway even have chocolate? I remember seeing the Swedish fish and trolls, but no chocolate. Poor Sleepy -- I hope she gets her German chocolate on Thursday.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #83
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
It's amazing how World Showcase can wipe a person out, isn't it? I always feel like I have actually gone around the world by the time we finish it.

I love those carnival masks, too, but, sadly, had the same reaction when I saw the price tags.

Does Norway even have chocolate? I remember seeing the Swedish fish and trolls, but no chocolate. Poor Sleepy -- I hope she gets her German chocolate on Thursday.
It was more a combination of not enough sleep, getting up early, and the time change that made us so tired. The carnival masks are absolutely spectacular! My friend made me one for Much Ado though, and it's quite lovely. It's my dream to go to Venice when I'm older and get a genuine Venetian mask (not one of the rip offs they sell on the street corners, one of the handcrafted ones from the small shops off the beaten path...[I'll admit, I watch too much Samantha Brown]). I think they might sell some chocolate, but I'm not exactly sure. They had a small corner of candy and Sleepy must have somehow gotten confused. I think she hopes she gets some too!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #84
grandpaof3
Been there too often?

Hi again.

Just found your update. It's 12:43 am here in cold wet Mich. It rained all day yesterday & there seems to be no letup tonight.

The World Showcase is my favorite part of EPCOT. Yes, the prices are a bit much on most of everything I like but I tend to not let that stop me if there's something I really like. "Hats & Foo Dogs are a must!!!!!" Let's just say that the between my Wife and I the credit limit on our Resort ID Card gets maxed out before the vacation is over.

We also tend not to complete the trip around the Showcase in one visit although once while my Daughter and Grandchildren waited for Illuminations of Earth I walked around the whole thing in just under 20 minutes with quick stops in Japan & Italy. Not bad for a 68 year old Grandpa!!!!!

It looks as though next years trip to the World might not happen at this time. I don't plan on canceling our reservations until next Summer though just in case things change.

See you on the next page.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #85
vdarrell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoEvilStepmother View Post
Sleepy IS the boss of the family. Most definately.
I've slowed down just a tiny bit, but I'm still getting layers and layers of homework in my AP classes. Go figure. Which reminds me...I'd better get offline and start on that 10 page paper due next week.
Your trip is getting so close! How goes the picture posting?

21 more days.......

I still haven't mastered the picture posting mostly because DH or DS haven't showed me how to put photos in photobucket.

Good luck on your homework.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #86
Somnia
Mouseketeer

Just read the update. I never knew about that show...I'll have to keep an eye out
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #87
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdarrell View Post
21 more days.......

I still haven't mastered the picture posting mostly because DH or DS haven't showed me how to put photos in photobucket.

Good luck on your homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnia View Post
Just read the update. I never knew about that show...I'll have to keep an eye out
Yeah. There's Romeo and Edna and some other show in the UK...as far as I know. Possible more. They're absolutely hilarious, especially if you're into audience participation.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #88
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Just finished reading what you've written so far and I have to say for a teen it's amazing. Such great style. Bet your teachers love you. Loving the report and will rake some more leaves( someone has to do it ugh) until you post again
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #89
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
Just finished reading what you've written so far and I have to say for a teen it's amazing. Such great style. Bet your teachers love you. Loving the report and will rake some more leaves( someone has to do it ugh) until you post again
Thanks for joining and thanks for the compliments.

My teachers don't really like me (well, other than my drama teacher, she ADORES me). In fact, I think my English teacher likes me less than all of my other teachers, but she's kinda...
I love creative writing (and story telling writing, such as a TR) but my school district doesn't really understand that. It's all persuassive (or various other boring) essays, all the time.

Wow. Raking leaves. I have NEVER had to do that before, but part of me kind of wants to know what it's like. I'm just weird I guess.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #90
grandpaof3
Been there too often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoEvilStepmother View Post
Thanks for joining and thanks for the compliments.

My teachers don't really like me (well, other than my drama teacher, she ADORES me). In fact, I think my English teacher likes me less than all of my other teachers, but she's kinda...
I love creative writing (and story telling writing, such as a TR) but my school district doesn't really understand that. It's all persuassive (or various other boring) essays, all the time.

Wow. Raking leaves. I have NEVER had to do that before, but part of me kind of wants to know what it's like. I'm just weird I guess.
Trust me Chels you haven't missed anything and don't really want to know about leave raking. I have about 300 trees on my property and they take great glee in making me clean up after them every Fall.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: