Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #151
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Disney Magic

We made it, we made it, we made it. And it had stopped raining. Or so we hoped. The parade didn’t start for fifteen more minutes and we were on our way down the monorail ramp and towards Main Street. Uh-oh. Bag check was a huge line. But we were in luck, the line was moving quickly. The two guys checking our bags were hilarious. They found my hot chocolate and started having a discussion about drinking some of it, but where to find hot water.

They were quick to deem pink hot chocolate too feminine and let us go on our way. We passed through the gates and tried to take a picture of the Mickey in front of Main Street Station.

I said tried.

And then we were headed through the tunnel and faced with a very crowded Main Street. We spotted a slightly less busy area on the right side of the opening to Main Street and literally ran over there. Once we hopped the little rope (our sign that the show would go on) we were only behind one row of people. Right in front of us was a family sitting on the curb. I hopped over them to get this.

As we waited, we took a few more pictures.

This is one I just found and my newfound favorite.

And then, the lights down Main Street went out and the sound blared. The parade had started.

Except…as soon as that happened, the family in front of us stood up and started yelling excitedly. Oh goodness. They were all (including the women) over 6 feet tall and German. Not that their heritage would make a difference, but the fact that even if we tried to say “Can you please sit down on the curb so that the rest of us can see” they wouldn’t understand. Now, Sleepy and I are some of the shorter people—both of us just at or slightly over five foot, so we couldn’t see anything. Immediately, the tired, grumpy Sleepy threw a fit and walked over to where Grumpy (who doesn’t enjoy parades) stood by the rope. I found a small hole in the crowd and managed to see some of the parade.

It all started with a mouse.

I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.

Continued in next post.
Mom, My Hand's Smell--A First Timer's Trip Report--Now Complete
Old 01-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #152
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Disney Magic cntd.

Around this time, I noticed Sleepy jumping up and down in place trying to get a picture—or to prove a point to the family in front of us. The girl, about my age, got the hint and sat down. No one else.

One of mine

One of Sleepy’s.

Onwards.

And here’s a sample of how Sleepy was acting. She accidently switched her camera to video and took this. Notice her jump then trying to go under the people’s legs to get a picture.

It’s a good thing we love her. ;-)

And this, this is when I found the magic of Disney World. I’d been there for four long days now, only two days were left, and I had yet to TRULY feel the magic of the World. I’ve been to Disneyland more than a dozen times and haven’t felt this before. But here, on the night of my first parade, I truly fell in love. Because, right after Cinderella and Prince Charming passed, I saw my hero. My favorite Disney character.

The White Rabbit.

He’s waving AT ME, MOMMY!!

Sleepy even stopped jumping around and joined me for the picture taking.

And all too soon, Jiminy was bidding us good night.

Really feeling the soaring feeling of Disney magic, we decided to go back into the park for some more rides, something we had not planned on doing. Our first stop was Winnie the Pooh and we bounced along with Tigger and Pooh.

Then we headed to Peter Pan. While waiting in the 20 minute line, the fireworks started going off. On the next trip, I want to see my first Disney fireworks. We could hear the explosions all the way in Never Land. We ran across the way and rode It’s a Small World for the last time. I practiced my princess wave to the person in the booth seeing us all off. It was a young guy when we went in. We sailed around the world with the children and when we came back out, it was an old man.

“My goodness!” Sleepy exclaimed. “How long were we in there?”

And then, we walked around the side of Fantasyland, towards Liberty Square, and then back on Main Street. I found a shirt of Walt and Mickey on Main Street and bought it. The store didn’t have a changing room, so I couldn’t try it on. And then, hands being held all the way down, we skipped out of the Magic Kingdom, saying good-bye to the castle for the last time this trip.

On the tram, someone asked us about our First Timer’s buttons and I directed them to the right location in every park and where to get them at their hotel (if they were Disney) without breaking a sweat. I was still so happy. We got back to the worst hotel in Orlando, and I didn’t even care. I was near Disney. My Disney. I went to bed that night, blissful and smiling.

If only the feeling was going to last.

Up Next: The story turns sad in The Happiest Place on Earth?

Last edited by NotSoEvilStepmother; 02-14-2009 at 09:08 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #153
orangecats2
All I want is Disney, Crocs and Vera Bradley

What!? SAD?! That's not good! I don't really like sad! You're at Disney, how could it be sad? Now I am hanging by a thread here waiting for your next installment! Really nice TR!

me DH and our many children
9/12 - CSR 4th Anniversary 9/09 - ASMo 1st Anniversary, 9/08 - ASSp Honeymoon
96, 87, 86, 83, 80, 79 - all offsite
Vegas: 95-Hacienda, 00-Excalibur, 01-Monte Carlo, 02-Luxor, 05-TI, 07-Tropicana, 10-NY NY
Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #154
grandpaof3
Been there too often?

Just found your latest updates.

I've never heard of Pink Chocolate. Must be a Chick Thing.

Glad you made it in time for the Parade. Getting a good spot to see it is always a problem. Being a little on the short side, tall people are not my favorite either. Having seen many parades, we skip it & take advantage if the shorter lines at our favorite rides. The Fireworks, on the other hand, are a definite MUST. Considering the conditions, your pictures are pretty good and I'm happy that you found your White Rabbit again.

Thanks! The Small World song is going through my head again!

Not sure I want to read the sad part of the story but I'll be watching for it.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #155
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecats2 View Post
What!? SAD?! That's not good! I don't really like sad! You're at Disney, how could it be sad? Now I am hanging by a thread here waiting for your next installment! Really nice TR!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaof3 View Post
Just found your latest updates.

I've never heard of Pink Chocolate. Must be a Chick Thing.

Glad you made it in time for the Parade. Getting a good spot to see it is always a problem. Being a little on the short side, tall people are not my favorite either. Having seen many parades, we skip it & take advantage if the shorter lines at our favorite rides. The Fireworks, on the other hand, are a definite MUST. Considering the conditions, your pictures are pretty good and I'm happy that you found your White Rabbit again.

Thanks! The Small World song is going through my head again!

Not sure I want to read the sad part of the story but I'll be watching for it.
I got the pink hot chocolate at Goofy's Candy Co. They had (they were going on final mark down in July) different Disney characters on them and the hot chocolate powder is colored to that character. Such as Stitch is blue and Princess Aurora is pink. Sleepy and I are convinced that tall people are out to get us. Generally, my family is either never in the parks for parades and fireworks or we take advantage of the short lines. But for this trip, we knew we wanted to see SpectroMagic (and Fantasmic). It was my first time seeing a full Disney parade.

On the sad part, I'm trying to not linger on it because it was so long ago and I'm mostly over it. It just put somewhat of a damper on our day.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #156
grandpaof3
Been there too often?

The different colored chocolate sounds interesting. I'll have to watch for it the next time I'm in DTD. Always looking for something different for the Grandchildren.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #157
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Hey everyone!
Believe it or not, I am still here. School has practically overtaken my life for the last few weeks. But I'm finally over the big stuff so I'm planning on returning here to the TR. I'm hoping to get an update up this weekend, or maybe even the end of the week.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #158
Megan76
Mouseketeer

great TR=)
Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 AM   #159
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Hurray for an update soon!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #160
smarsha4455
Earning My Ears

YAY! An upcoming update. Something to look forward to!

Many,many Disneyland trips as a kid.
June 1986 - Girls Grad trip to Disneyland
1994 - Breannes 1st trip to Disneyland
1996 -WDW - All Star Music resort
1998 -Dec 28-29 Disneyland for my Birthday
Sept 2000 - Honeymoon at Disneyland
2005 - Road trip to Disneyland
Sept 13-21 2009 POP - My dream vacation became a nightmare!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #161
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan76 View Post
great TR=)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Hurray for an update soon!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsha4455 View Post
YAY! An upcoming update. Something to look forward to!
It'll be up by Saturday, I promise
Old 02-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #162
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Happiest Place on Earth?

As promised, here's today's update. I'm just warning you, I cried while writing it. You may not. But this is why it's taken me so long to get up the nerve to write it. Ok. Here goes...

Thursday, July 16, 2008

EPCOT, day 2

The phone rang at 2 AM. From what Sleepy and Grumpy told me, I was the one who picked up and talked to my brother back home for a few minutes before handing it off to them. I have absolutely no recollection of this at all.

My brother, who’d been staying with us while waiting to move into his new house and was taking care of our dogs, told Sleepy and Grumpy of the troubles happening at home.

One of our dogs, the oldest, the one I’ve had since I was just a year old, had been in serious pain for the last few years. Arthritis, cancer spots, etc… One spot on her underbelly had been filling with liquid, looking as if it was going to burst for quite a while. And, apparently, on this night, it decided to do just that.

When I woke up later that morning, I had no idea what was going on. I got ready to enjoy another day, as usual. But my parents sat me down just before we left to talk about what they’d heard on the phone earlier.

“Missy,” (our dog) “isn’t doing so well,” they said. “Her spot burst and they had to take her to the emergency vet last night. Your brother called us on his way there. She was unresponsive. We don’t know what’s going on right now.”

It hit me like a ton of bricks. My dog, my baby puppy whom I grew up with, could be gone. And I was 2,000 miles away. I played it off like it wasn’t really a big thing, but I cried on the car ride to EPCOT. We parked relatively close today and made it in with minimal challenge.

Another normal day at Walt Disney World.

Sleepy and I grabbed a picture as we entered the park.

Then we headed down to MouseGear to try and exchange a shirt I’d bought at Magic Kingdom the previous night. It didn’t fit right so I wanted to get a new one. We’d been told that MouseGear sold the same shirt by another shop worker. We went in and questioned three different employees. Their responses really set me over the edge. Time and time again, they simply said, “Go to Downtown Disney”. May sound easy for people with more than 2 days left and who stayed on property, but, unfortunately, neither was us.

I was getting overly worked up, between their grudging replies and the ordeal going on at home that I simply had returned it for cash back and got rid of my favorite souvenir. Gah! It was still relatively early at EPCOT and very few people were really in there, so we decided to head over to Test Track because we figured there would hardly be a line.

We were right and we were whizzing off within minutes. Once we got off, we tried calling my brother, but he didn’t pick up, so Sleepy headed off to the restroom. While she was gone, my brother called Grumpy and we found out that my dog had indeed left forever.

I lost it crying and ran into the back entrance of MouseGear, leaving Grumpy and a newly arrived Sleepy behind outside. I called one of my best friends and cried over the phone to her. I was probably in there for about 15 or 20 minutes, talking, crying, laughing, crying, and looking at the various ways to impulse buy.

I walked back outside at last. Sleepy was there, but now Grumpy had gone to the restroom. We waited for him and cried some more, and more when he came back. But…life goes on and we were bound and determined to not let this entirely ruin our vacation at the Happiest Place on Earth.

Here’s a picture of her taken a couple years ago.

We headed into Spaceship Earth and had some fun on that ride. I love that ride. One of my favorites, I’d say. Sleepy and Grumpy ride together and I rode by myself.

Some pictures…

I got a video of the ending of the ride, but I can’t seem to get it to upload online so I guess I’ll just have to add that in later.

When we finished watching our future on the great spaceship called Earth, we went over to the Land pavilion. We grabbed some FASTPASSES for Soarin’ (they weren’t that far off) then rode Living with the Land. Good ride, good ride. We had to drag Grumpy away from The Circle of Life then headed out of the pavilion and to Journey Into Imagination with Figment.

I’m sure Sleepy and Grumpy would not have ridden it if I hadn’t begged them with my still tear filled eyes. We made some jokes while in line. When they were separating us into lines to enter the little red cars, Sleepy told one of the CM’s that she was allergic to the color red. The poor guy just stared at her, unsure for a minute. But when we couldn’t hold in our laughter anymore, he joined in and we were on our way.

I fought the urge to buy a Figment souvenir at the end and we headed back to the Land pavilion. We used our Soarin’ FASTPASSES then headed to grab some passes for Test Track. We were all getting down again at this point so we decided to head to the World Showcase to finish touring the second half of the world.

Up Next: A boring excursion

Last edited by NotSoEvilStepmother; 02-28-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #163
srwarden1928
DIS Veteran

While I enjoy reading trip reports, I never respond to them but I had to this time.

I know the hurt you feel losing your baby dog. I lost three growing up, one at 9 when I was 9, one at 16 when I was 21, and one at 15 when I was 24. Every time I hear of someone losing their beloved dog, it brings the memories of my three babies back. They will live forever in my heart, as yours will in your heart.

Feb 1972, Feb 1974, Feb 1976, Feb 1978, Mar 1985 (EP only), Mar 1990 (EP only), Mar 2008, Oct 2008 (MNSSHP only)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/3va2jxzqyyfdfk89.png[/img]
Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #164
NotSoEvilStepmother
*Not a real stepmother*

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwarden1928 View Post
While I enjoy reading trip reports, I never respond to them but I had to this time.

I know the hurt you feel losing your baby dog. I lost three growing up, one at 9 when I was 9, one at 16 when I was 21, and one at 15 when I was 24. Every time I hear of someone losing their beloved dog, it brings the memories of my three babies back. They will live forever in my heart, as yours will in your heart.

Thank you very much for commenting and sharing your story. I'd only every lost one dog before this last summer, back when I was very young. Losing her was especially hard because there are pictures of the two of us when I was only 2. She was like a sister, even though she was a dog. We knew it was coming, but we just hoped that it hadn't happened the first time we were gone for over 2 years. Once again, thanks for your comment.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #165
Tigger822
Mouseketeer

Sorry about your doggy. My sister lost her Miniature Schnauzer in september when she was at college. Rio was twelve in People years.
Lisa

Last edited by Tigger822; 02-14-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: oops!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: