Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 AM   #91
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermommy View Post
So who knows that secret handshake and is willing to teach me. I'm having serious parks withdrawal. Spaceship Earth is new since I've been (didn't luck up on any of the soft openings). Toy Story is open. There's the new TRex restaurant. Not cool that all this new stuff is there and I'm not. And the biggest disappointment of all is that Mousefest will have to go on without me this year. Bummer!!! Mongello's trivia tours.... Barrett's hidden mickey tours.... Devine's photo tours.... LTAD's drinking around the world.... I'm gonna miss all of that!!!
All the more reason to squeeze in one last trip before your ticket expires... I know my boy wants your boy to go so they can chat about the new stuff. BTW, we got the 2007 Hidden Mickeys book and saw your boys' names in the acknowledgements!

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #92
King Charming
Mouseketeer

Doomed, I tell ya...

So I've re-read my TR dozens of times now, helping me remember the other mundain details of the great time we had. After so many readings though, I was surprised at how many references of a future cruise that popped up. Heck, if you read the PRE TR, there was no way I would have considered Mickey's boat as an affordable OR acceptable alternative to the parks. Yet the DIS boards were full of people telling me what a good time they had while on-board, that we would love it, AND that we would return for more. Yeah...right...if you say so. Must be nice to be so rich that the ship has become a habit. We, on the other hand, were happy with the parks. While able to go more often (because we sure do know how to load a mini-van), were too chea...ah, frugal to sacrifice dollars in massive quanitities. So why in the world am I commited by/to this madness?

I know how I got this way, and others should be warned. First time cruisers-beware of DCL! The event is as all encompassing as the parks are. Just like you are drawn back to the parks for the overall experience, you will feel the need to go back to sea. Maybe if we had done a quicker trip on a less expensive ship, it would not have been so enjoyable. The ports were cool, but the ship's activities were great and numerous. The daily Navigators were slap full throughout the day of activities that made it impossible to be bored. They must know that by scheduling so many attractive options that it is impossible to do it all; just like the parks.

So yeah, we are going back; the cat 11 cost be damned (PLEASE don't tell Hypermommy I said that). We found a way to scrape up funds last time, I'm sure we can do it again (even if I am self-employed). This 11/09 Double dip fits in nicely with the long term spending plan (new truck in 10), and gives us over a year to pay it off.

As difficult as it was, I finally acknowledged my 'sea sickness', and my doctors say that's the first step. I sometimes wonder why the head doc sounds just like Mickey, but they said it is just a symptom of my psychosis. I'd like to think there is a cure, because this could become a very expensive addiction. Anybody have any suggestions on what worked for them? Oh, OK, so maybe asking folks who have the same affliction for the cure ain't such a good idea. I must be worse off than I thought. I'm doomed...doomed....
King Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #93
laura001
DIS Veteran
I had my birthday 242 days ago and I don't run like a duck, does that count??
I came in here to see what was wrong with the bananas

In one way KC, I hope that you are wrong and in another, well.........right! This will be DH and I's first DCL cruise, actually our very first cruise ever! I want DH to love it, mainly because I love to travel and have a passion for Disney and usually I have to give him a little (ok, sometimes more than a little) tug to get him to go. BUT, what if he loves DCL more than I love going to Disney. ? Then we would have a problem!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #94
Hypermommy
Dreams of being a local on Castaway Cay

Sorry I've been MIA guys... with Halloween and National Digiscrapping Day coming up, I've been quite swamped. And I imagine I'll continue to be with Thanksgiving and Christmas. But that's no excuse for me to neglect my buddies on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
All the more reason to squeeze in one last trip before your ticket expires... I know my boy wants your boy to go so they can chat about the new stuff. BTW, we got the 2007 Hidden Mickeys book and saw your boys' names in the acknowledgements!
Well, I let the pass expire. I figured out the secret handshake (which I can't talk about because this is a family board) but I couldn't figure out the password. I still haven't totally given up on the idea of going but even I would like to have a bit more of the cruise paid for before I go. But shhhhhhhh... don't tell KC.

When's your cruise again? I haven't mentioned it to DS13 because I know he'd slip? Hope it's before the Christmas holidays because my son won't be at that school any more after that. We're gonna homeschool him too. I just love the education and the freedom that it gives us (and not having to follow stupid school rules is another plus). We need to make sure these two have "playdates" after that so they can keep up with each other. Maybe a morning at the local golf 'n' games would be good? It's only about $14 for a 3 hour block of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Charming View Post
While able to go more often (because we sure do know how to load a mini-van), were too chea...ah, frugal to sacrifice dollars in massive quanitities. So why in the world am I commited by/to this madness?

<snip>

As difficult as it was, I finally acknowledged my 'sea sickness', and my doctors say that's the first step. I sometimes wonder why the head doc sounds just like Mickey, but they said it is just a symptom of my psychosis. I'd like to think there is a cure, because this could become a very expensive addiction. Anybody have any suggestions on what worked for them? Oh, OK, so maybe asking folks who have the same affliction for the cure ain't such a good idea. I must be worse off than I thought. I'm doomed...doomed....
Cat 11? What am I hearing??? I do have to admit I'm hoping for an upgrade to at least a Cat10 so we can have the split bathroom. That was very convenient! But not that you pay for it dear KC, but that Mickey will offer it.

And I don't know what you mean by the head doctor sounding like Mickey. Must be your imagination, darling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura001 View Post
In one way KC, I hope that you are wrong and in another, well.........right! This will be DH and I's first DCL cruise, actually our very first cruise ever! I want DH to love it, mainly because I love to travel and have a passion for Disney and usually I have to give him a little (ok, sometimes more than a little) tug to get him to go. BUT, what if he loves DCL more than I love going to Disney. ? Then we would have a problem!
Don't fret it Laura... there's actually a way to do both. All you really have to do (and I keep telling KC this) is buy DVC points. Then your lodging is taken care of and that's the biggest expense. And you can use your points to cruise too. See... great solution!

But honestly, as much as I miss the parks, I wouldn't trade a park visit for a cruise. I know I'll get back to the parks again sometime. It might not be before the cruise but the next big vacation will be the parks again. It's all do-able... you just have to plan. But that's half the fun, right?

Now...where's that blasted Merlin to tell me what tonight's lottery numbers are gonna be? He's probably off in the woods again having a magic contest with that Madam Mim!
Hypermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #95
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

I was wondering what happened to my dear Hypermommy You do remember where your loyalties lie do you not? What's with the home schooling? You don't like your children being social and having friends? Ok now it's my turn to duck and run How do you manage home schooling while working? I give you credit...I couldn't do it. Keep well and hope to hear from you soon.

Off Site 1996,All Star Music 1998,All Star Movies 2002, Pop Century 2004, Pop Century2006 ASMu 2008 DVC 2009BLT2009
purplepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 AM   #96
Hypermommy

@ Peg. It's not that I don't like my kids being social and having friends but that most kids aren't ready for the wonderful creatures my children are! LOL Actually, we started homeschooling because my eldest.... well, you know how some people march to the beat of their own drummer? Well, my kid has a whole band that he can call his own. Actually, he's a great kid and I think he's going to be a very inventive and fun to be around adult (much like his mother ;-) ) but in middle school if you don't fit into that particular cubbyhole or mold... well, life can be very difficult.

So we started him in homeschooling. Basically, he "goes" to Florida Virtual School. Has classes and teachers and lesson plans and all of that. It's just that instead of going to a brick & mortar school he goes to school online. That's how I can do that and still work.

And I've been so impressed with the teachers and the level of education that I want my younger son to attend FLVS too. Of course, he's got to get his grades up before he can do so .... can't let him run away from a tough situation or he'll learn that's how to handle it.

Of course, we make sure they have opportunities to socialize because that is so important. There's a strong homeschooling community in our town and they do lots of stuff together so he has plenty of opportunity with that. And then there's the church and the Young Marines and all that other stuff too.

As for my loyalties... yes, I know exactly where they lie. Trying to make an extra buck or two so I can have an excursion or two on the cruise. LOL. Actually, I heard the other day about some tequila tour that isn't on the official excursion list. Apparently it's in Cozumel and the taxi drivers know where it is. From what I was hearing for about $10 you can get a tour of a tequila plant and a quite sufficient amount of taste testing. Might just have to leave the kids on the ship in Mexico this time
Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #97
King Charming
Mouseketeer

Wa-hoo!! Cruise docs came today They sure have changed though. Wait a darn minute, these aren't cruise docs at all , it's just another bill... ooops, I mean 'greeting' from Mickey (all dressed up to look like the paperwork). Excuse me while I hunt down my checkbook right away. Never keep that mouse waiting, or (like me, attempt to) hold out on him, cause that is when he show you those big teeth of his.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #98
Hypermommy

I know that you cringe whenever you see a new communication from Mickey, but trust me he loves his correspondence with you. You just keep using that special stationary you have been (you know, the kind with the numbers across the bottom and on the right) and he'll be happy and you'll never see his big teeth.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #99
Hypermommy

Whew! Been quite a while since I've had a chance to be on here. But I'm still preparing for the cruise, of course.

Lately preparations have included gathering information on fellow cruisers. Using google's docs, fellow cruisers can just fill in a form and it dumps it into a spreadsheet... I put the info in an Access database and slice and dice it in various ways. So now we know who's in what cabin, who's staying where the night before, etc. It's kind of fun knowing all of this about fellow cruisers before we go.

I've also been busy setting up a separate bulletin board and photo gallery for our specific cruise. This is a safe place for our kids to chat and to show off pictures of our family and stuff.

And I'm still seriously thinking about the paper chain. It's 366 days to the cruise now so it seems like the perfect time to start one. KC doesn't want me to because it would definitely take over our little duplex. But then again, I'm not exactly good at doing things the way he wants me to.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #100
Hypermommy

You know, I really should get a life shouldn't I? But I just spent about 2 hours putting this together. There are some things I was going to clean up but my computer's so low on on memory right now that I'm hoping I can get this off before I have to reboot.

All I can say is wooooot!!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #101
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermommy View Post
Whew! Been quite a while since I've had a chance to be on here. But I'm still preparing for the cruise, of course.

Lately preparations have included gathering information on fellow cruisers. Using google's docs, fellow cruisers can just fill in a form and it dumps it into a spreadsheet... I put the info in an Access database and slice and dice it in various ways. So now we know who's in what cabin, who's staying where the night before, etc. It's kind of fun knowing all of this about fellow cruisers before we go.

I've also been busy setting up a separate bulletin board and photo gallery for our specific cruise. This is a safe place for our kids to chat and to show off pictures of our family and stuff.

And I'm still seriously thinking about the paper chain. It's 366 days to the cruise now so it seems like the perfect time to start one. KC doesn't want me to because it would definitely take over our little duplex. But then again, I'm not exactly good at doing things the way he wants me to.
Does the word STALKER mean anything to you You are amazing and I seriously need to get on a cruise with you. Did you just take over the get to know each other thread? Nice of you to check in, and I love your last post. That's amazing, see how quickly time is passing by, it'll be here before you know and yet it's enough time to get those restraining orders in place

Off Site 1996,All Star Music 1998,All Star Movies 2002, Pop Century 2004, Pop Century2006 ASMu 2008 DVC 2009BLT2009
purplepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #102
LivingtheWDWdream
Dreamin of Disney!

You guys are great I have been going nuts trying to plan a 4 day in February, a 3 day sometime in late 2009 ( must take part in that 99 3 day cruise they offered us) and then our big back to back 7 day cruises in 2010!

I hope your time passes quickly and sorry that it means missing the parks for a while!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #103
King Charming
Mouseketeer

Stalker? Hypermommy? I think not. Most people can see and hear her coming and have the good sense to get the heck out of the way. And she didn't really take over (well... kinda sorta), she just saw a need for organization, asked permission (very quietly), than ran to the front of the room with all her charts and graphs (they just happened to be here with me, you know, just in case) .

BTW, don't waste your time advising our fellow cruisers about the need (oh yeah, NEED) for restraining orders. We both know enough about the law to know that once we leave the three mile territorial limit, all bets are off, and only the Captain can save them then.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #104
LivingtheWDWdream
Dreamin of Disney!

I'm impressed and here I thought my little ol planning paper as in just 1 piece of paper would suffice. I may need lessons from Hypermommy!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #105
King Charming
Mouseketeer

All Dressed Up For The Holidays

I've been reading the recent trip reports and heard they started putting up the Christmas decorations this week on our ship. That means for our cruise too!: thumbsup2 Seeing the parks dressed up for the holidays has always been a bonus for me, and now I'm sure the camera will get a great workout. As an alternative to formal night pics w/ Mickey I think we may go with Christmas type clothes and hats, then do pics with the Mic on semi-nite dressed nicely. It's gotta be alot cheaper than tuxes, and the (copied) photos can be sent out with our Christmas cards.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: