Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #151
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

wow 200 and some odd days, you must be getting excited. I can't wait to hear all about it, i love the planning. i'm excited!

Off Site 1996,All Star Music 1998,All Star Movies 2002, Pop Century 2004, Pop Century2006 ASMu 2008 DVC 2009BLT2009
purplepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #152
King Charming
Mouseketeer

Wood you?

So I started back on my firewood collection kick again. I sold out completely this year, finally getting rid of wood I've had for nearly 2 years. Turns out I had way more wood stacked up around here than I estimated and made nearly $1K . It's so nice to turn a profit after buying that hydraulic log splitter and only breaking even last year. But man, what a cool machine it is, and it was worth it. With cooler weather usually hitting this part of the world around Halloween and wood sales beginning Nov 1, I've got extra incentive to have an ample wood supply prior to out 11/14 cruise. While I don't expect to sell even half of it that first week (it NEVER works that way), several hundred in cash would be a timely addition to my pocket (and therefore Mickey's).

I've found that most developers will look the other way if you help yourself to the trees after they have knocked them down. They will sometimes sell the pine trees, but will have to pay to have the others hauled off or ground up. As long as I don't chainsaw off my arm and sue them, they are cool. Having all those oaks and occasional wild cherry trees go to waste benefits no one, so I step up and recycle them. This first new stack stands 4 1/2 feet tall and should be 25 feet long when everything I currently have is stacked. I hope to have at least 5 times that in 10-12 weeks (got to give it 6-8 mos to dry out), but it all depends on availability. And not just any oak tree, heck no! It has to be a EASY tree, meaning I can pull my pickup right up to it for easy loading. Yes, lazy people CAN be in the firewood business as long as they observe rule # 2 (Rule #1, Don't get stupid w/ the chainsaw). #2 is to move the wood as few times and as short a distance as possible. The rest of the time you are just supervising the rain covers each stack gets. All year long . Well, someone has to do it, and if I can get it done with a beer in my hand, all the better!

Another plus to selling seasoned split logs is the sad jokes and bad puns that abound. I love telling folks to be very careful handling the wood because they are extremely flammable and could burst into flames at any moment. And to be careful how many logs they use each time, 'cause this stuff doesn't grow on trees you know. On and on, I've got dozens of 'em (and none better). I can do corny all night long, so don't get me started unless you really enjoy rolling your eyes often. But somehow you already knew that...
King Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #153
King Charming
Mouseketeer

I kind of knew this would happen, but was unsure as to where I would level out. The excited giddiness has worn off after booking this adventure, but with so many months till sailaway, it seems like such a distant dream. I would have never thought I could feel so blase' about the whole thing, but with 35 weeks (who's counting?) to go, it's just not there. Last time I couldn't shut up about our upcoming cruise, but this time you have got to ask to get me talking about it. I guess it is because my anxiety level is so much lower now. Knowing what to expect and all, I'm not so worried about the 'what-ifs' that come with such an event. No concerns this time about seasickness, standing in endless hour long lines, or that the kids or I would be bored. That plus maybe having Mrs. Organization do all our planning allows me to (hopefully) just fer-get about it. This is how it should have been last time. I am glad we get to do it with confidence and calmness this time.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #154
Hypermommy
Dreams of being a local on Castaway Cay

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Charming View Post
That plus maybe having Mrs. Organization do all our planning allows me to (hopefully) just fer-get about it. This is how it should have been last time. I am glad we get to do it with confidence and calmness this time.
Wow! Did y'all hear that? Did ya? Didn't that sound like a blank check to you? Sure did to me!!!!!

Here we go, here we go, to a universe of energy... well, energetic spending anyway!!!!
Hypermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #155
King Charming
Mouseketeer

WHOA Nelly, or whatever your name is. Since when did 'plan' and 'spend' become interchangeable? Have I EVER experienced calmness when you start collecting receipts?

I was assured by the man council that my previous post could NEVER be understood to mean you should buy Mickey new shoes! (OK, he needs them, but that's a different story). Mr Webster (who is a council member in good standing) clearly defines 'planning' as getting ready to do something, but not actually doing it.

Now if you want to appeal this definition or need further clarification, you may appear before our board just prior to being told "NO", then swiftly be led away.

We will get to the spending portion of the trip soon enough (slow paced, mind you), so just rein-in your bank note autographs a few months (years) longer. Why don't you dig up a few of those old lists to entertain yourself with? Think about how much fun it will be updating the expected expenses list as prices have probably gone up during the 1 1/2 year interlude.

Oh and dearest, just remember we have a $$ cap and any departure from our current budget will most likely come from your ship and shore shopping money. (Hey, the booze expense is unchangeable, I do have my priorities you know).

So get cracking on that instead and we will see if it meets with my approval. (ouch, not so hard, it hurts when you smack me like that). So do what you want, sans plastic and checkbook, and we'll go from there.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #156
MMitchell29
DIS Veteran

You guys are so funny..........gotta love ya
MMitchell29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #157
King Charming
Mouseketeer

I'm so happy with a recent turn of events, and I thought I'd share with/bore my captive audience. While driving around last Monday I spied a residential lot being cleared. I called the number on the 4 sale sign at the street and asked about the wood. I ended up speaking with 'The' man who quickly realized he would save himself money by giving me as much wood as I'd be willing to haul away. It turns out the 'Mr Smart" (as I'll call him) is a broker/contractor who subs most of the work to himself. So he was also the guy running the back hoe/front end loader, and who was going out of his way to help me get access to the trees! He said he still had 7 other lots to clear in the sub-division, but that was not the only place in our county he was building, and that I could have as much wood as I can dream about . I immediately went to work harvesting and my inventory doubled last week! I finally got caught up this afternoon, splitting and stacking everything I brought home during 7 logging expeditions. Wood Stack One ended at 42 feet long, and WS2 sprang to life. I figure I've got about $1K of wood, and was just doing the math when I got a visit from a really odd fellow.

He was a short little guy, big nose, and he must have had some sort of wacky hairdo because it was all covered up by this big oversized hat. He said he was from the wood stacking society and he was just stopping by for a peek. Even though he said it wasn't any type of official inspection, he did have some pretty strange questions. Things like 'do you have any plans for the money the wood will bring in?', 'do I plan on sharing the money with family members?', and 'was I planning any other trips?'. Well, my back was hurting, I was hot and tired, and no, I really didn't have the time or desire to deal with this runt. So yes, I may have been a tad bit short or abrupt as I ran him off. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me.

Anyway, I have enough firewood for my regular customers, and that will mean many hundreds of dollars right before we leave. I wonder if we can keep this extra cash a secret from Mickey?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #158
laura001
DIS Veteran
I had my birthday 242 days ago and I don't run like a duck, does that count??
I came in here to see what was wrong with the bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Charming View Post
I'm so happy with a recent turn of events, and I thought I'd share with/bore my captive audience. While driving around last Monday I spied a residential lot being cleared. I called the number on the 4 sale sign at the street and asked about the wood. I ended up speaking with 'The' man who quickly realized he would save himself money by giving me as much wood as I'd be willing to haul away. It turns out the 'Mr Smart" (as I'll call him) is a broker/contractor who subs most of the work to himself. So he was also the guy running the back hoe/front end loader, and who was going out of his way to help me get access to the trees! He said he still had 7 other lots to clear in the sub-division, but that was not the only place in our county he was building, and that I could have as much wood as I can dream about . I immediately went to work harvesting and my inventory doubled last week! I finally got caught up this afternoon, splitting and stacking everything I brought home during 7 logging expeditions. Wood Stack One ended at 42 feet long, and WS2 sprang to life. I figure I've got about $1K of wood, and was just doing the math when I got a visit from a really odd fellow.

He was a short little guy, big nose, and he must have had some sort of wacky hairdo because it was all covered up by this big oversized hat. He said he was from the wood stacking society and he was just stopping by for a peek. Even though he said it wasn't any type of official inspection, he did have some pretty strange questions. Things like 'do you have any plans for the money the wood will bring in?', 'do I plan on sharing the money with family members?', and 'was I planning any other trips?'. Well, my back was hurting, I was hot and tired, and no, I really didn't have the time or desire to deal with this runt. So yes, I may have been a tad bit short or abrupt as I ran him off. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me.

Anyway, I have enough firewood for my regular customers, and that will mean many hundreds of dollars right before we leave. I wonder if we can keep this extra cash a secret from Mickey?
Wow...what a great windfall for you!!!

On the other hand, if you wanted to keep it a secret from Mickey, the last place you should post it is one here!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #159
King Charming
Mouseketeer

Yeah, you sure are right about big ears, but how he pulled this last one off has me scratching my head.

So after I posted about wood stack # 2, I checked my Email, and sure enough, it's there. Titled 'A friendly ($$$) reminder', it's a note from 'the Mic' himself telling me how fortunate I was to be cruising with him just two weeks after wood selling season begins! He goes on to list excursions we have not yet booked, but that should be available right before sailing. And the darn thing is time stamped 97 minutes before my post!!!

How could he have known?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #160
MassDisLovers
A dream is a wish your heart makes....

Hey Friends - enjoying your second PTR. I have good news - we booked for Presidents Week! Yahoo!!!!! We won't be with you, but we will be with the Big Guy.
Carnival Fantasy 8/1992- the "Hurricane Andrew cruise"! ** Disney Magic 2/2002- Eastern ** Disney Magic 4/2004 - Western ** RCI Mariner of the Seas 4/2005 ** Carnival Celebration 8/2005 ** Carnival Liberty 4/2006 * Disney Magic 12/2006 - special Christmas cruise ** RCI Adventure of the Seas 4/2007 ** Disney Magic 4/2008 - Western ** Disney Magic 2/2010 - Eastern **RCI Monarch of the Seas 1/2011 ** Disney Wonder 8/9/11 - Alaska ** RCI Freedom of the Seas 3/2013 ** Disney Wonder 5/2014- California Coast **Disney's Magic Music Days 1999, 2003, & 2007 **Disneyland 1993, 2006, 2007 & 2010 *** Walt Disney World - too many trips to count !***
DVC members since 1992~ OKW & BDWK
MassDisLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #161
Hypermommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassDisLovers View Post
Hey Friends - enjoying your second PTR. I have good news - we booked for Presidents Week! Yahoo!!!!! We won't be with you, but we will be with the Big Guy.
Oh how wonderful!!! Doing the Magic again? Eastern or Western?

Oh, and KC, I'm not sure how ol' Big Ears found out about your woodpile. He sure is slick, though, ain't he?

And I've been thinking about what you said about purchases, I am disinclined to acquiesce to your way of thinking. We're in a serious recession right now and we who love America as much as Walt did need to do our part to get the economy stimulated. I think shopping for fish extender items and other such things would be merely doing our patriotic part, don't you?

That being said I'll be holding an American flag in one hand and an oversized Disney captain's cap in the other as I head out to the centers of shopability this weekend.

What's that? Where'd the hat come from? Um, er, um...... well, I found it. Yeah. I found it in the yard. I'm... um... I'm not 100% sure how it got there.

Hey, don't you have some wood to split or something?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #162
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

What a great find in all the wood! That's fabulous to boost things for the ole cruise fund!

My middle schooler told me today he likes silent lunch except when his lunch class is the same as your middle schooler... because if it's silent lunch then, they can't talk about any and all things Disney, especially cruises! I don't think DCL has to worry - we're definitely nurturing the next generation of DCLers

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #163
MassDisLovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermommy View Post
Oh how wonderful!!! Doing the Magic again? Eastern or Western?
It's an Eastern this time. I can never really decide which I like better. More sea days or more islands? But.... a cruise is a cruise, so I will not be complaining! And, yes, Miss Meaghan WILL be going. That's our school break week, not her college break week, but there is no way she'd let us do a DCL adventure without her! She's a good student and assures us that she'll make all the appropriate arrangements with her professors. Oh, actually...... I think she plans to tell them that she HAS to go because it's for a family wedding.
Mickey and Minnie are family, aren't they?
Carnival Fantasy 8/1992- the "Hurricane Andrew cruise"! ** Disney Magic 2/2002- Eastern ** Disney Magic 4/2004 - Western ** RCI Mariner of the Seas 4/2005 ** Carnival Celebration 8/2005 ** Carnival Liberty 4/2006 * Disney Magic 12/2006 - special Christmas cruise ** RCI Adventure of the Seas 4/2007 ** Disney Magic 4/2008 - Western ** Disney Magic 2/2010 - Eastern **RCI Monarch of the Seas 1/2011 ** Disney Wonder 8/9/11 - Alaska ** RCI Freedom of the Seas 3/2013 ** Disney Wonder 5/2014- California Coast **Disney's Magic Music Days 1999, 2003, & 2007 **Disneyland 1993, 2006, 2007 & 2010 *** Walt Disney World - too many trips to count !***
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #164
Hypermommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
What a great find in all the wood! That's fabulous to boost things for the ole cruise fund!

My middle schooler told me today he likes silent lunch except when his lunch class is the same as your middle schooler... because if it's silent lunch then, they can't talk about any and all things Disney, especially cruises! I don't think DCL has to worry - we're definitely nurturing the next generation of DCLers
LOL!!! Yep, I'd say we're probably doing right by both them and the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassDisLovers View Post
It's an Eastern this time. I can never really decide which I like better. More sea days or more islands? But.... a cruise is a cruise, so I will not be complaining! And, yes, Miss Meaghan WILL be going. That's our school break week, not her college break week, but there is no way she'd let us do a DCL adventure without her! She's a good student and assures us that she'll make all the appropriate arrangements with her professors. Oh, actually...... I think she plans to tell them that she HAS to go because it's for a family wedding.
Mickey and Minnie are family, aren't they?
Absolutely!!!!!!

I've enjoyed getting to know her better through FB... she's a fun kid. Of course, she doesn't think she's a kid, I'm sure. She's ALLL grown up, right? LOL
Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #165
MassDisLovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermommy View Post
I've enjoyed getting to know her better through FB... she's a fun kid. Of course, she doesn't think she's a kid, I'm sure. She's ALLL grown up, right? LOL

She is an "old soul" for sure........

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: