Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
ArielDreams
Mouseketeer

Ariel & Aladdin's "We Will Do Everything" Trip - 11/08

We are just 1 day away from our Disney vacation so I thought it would be a perfect time to write a pre-trip report! So let’s start with the cast of characters.

Me (Ariel), 24 - a year out of college, currently working in marketing - which I don't like, working on applying to grad school for education… I took my GREs last weekend and am ready to relax for 5 days in Disney before I complete my applications (It’s on the "after Disney" list of things to do… I'm a procrastinator). My interests include dance (part-time teacher), scrapbooking, collecting DVDs… and all things Disney! It’s hard for me to count the number of times I’ve visited the various parks so see my signature for details! 3 Disney locations down, 2 to go! I will make it to Tokyo and Hong Kong some time in my life.

BF (Aladdin), also 24 - works in customer service for a cable company, also doesn’t like his current position and is looking to escape it at Disney as well! He used to live in Florida when he was little but the only times he’s visited "the World" were once to Epcot on a school field trip and once when he, his mom and sister saved their pennies for one day at the Magic Kingdom. So, since he’s a big kid at heart, it's about time he had a proper Disney vacation! The only things he remembers are Spaceship Earth, Pirates of the Caribbean and buying a pirate bandanna and sword. I am so excited this is all new to him! His interests include video games, Aerosmith, Star Wars and anything that is Asian.

So here's a little background on how we got together. Last September, we were both at a piano bar celebrating our birthdays separately (mine is the day before his). I was crying because I felt lonely and I ended up being a third wheel. Then behind me, I catch a glimpse of Aladdin and was very interested. But of course, neither of us would do anything about it. So his brother-in-law (aka, wing man of the night) got us talking and in less than 5 minutes we were dancing to the Transvestite song from the Rocky Horror Picture Show… and then no music at all. The rest is history! We've been "official" for a year now and I know I have found an excellent Disney partner!

The idea for this trip basically came from me saying "I will definitely be going to Disney sometime this year, even if it’s by myself. It’s been too long." To which Aladdin replied "Well, you better not go without me!" So I read the all the boards and went about planning a "budget friendly" trip (I say "budget friendly" because I think if I had waited, I might have gotten better deals… but what’s done is done and you never know what deals they could throw at you!)

Step 1: The Airfare
From researching all airlines, I determined Southwest was the way to go - for us, that’s Providence to Orlando. And then from the Disboards, I determined the date that November flights were going to be released. So on June 26, I sat at work refreshing the page for 3 hours until finally they released the flights. The dates we were going were totally dependent on what days we could get the lowest airfare for - and that I only wanted to take off 3 days from work. Luckily, I found the lowest fare for the month of November and was able to get that for our Prov-Orlando leg, as well as a decent fare for the flight home. November 8-12 it was! Since then, Southwest decreased the fare for our return flight so I was able to get a $90 credit for another Southwest flight by switching to the reduced fare. I mean, I wish I could have gotten my money back but hey – we’ll just have to take another vacation!

Step 2: The ADRs
Aladdin thought I was completely nuts for booking these in July but I knew I had to get them in if I wanted to get everything we wanted as well as good times! So I made them and was very happy with what we got. I think the woman I booked through was impressed I knew my stuff. (See itinerary for what we picked!)

Step 3: Book the Package
Since Disney kept not having special deals for when we were going, I got discouraged and decided to go with AAA. (Since then they've come out with free dining and all this other stuff but I don’t want to talk about it…) Of course I don't really need a travel agent since I always know exactly what package I want, but I just wanted the deal. So I went in knowing I wanted 5 day park hopper with dining and 4 nights at All Star Movies (standard). I was unimpressed by our travel agent, who Aladdin says had a really bad mole on his face he couldn’t stop looking at. I was more concerned with what he was typing on his computer... making sure everything went in right! So anyway, we ended up with what I wanted plus a preferred room since all of the standards were booked - it actually only ended up costing us $40 more which in the grand scheme of things, isn't too much. I was told once I made the final payment in September, I'd receive my packet of information via mail. So... fast forward to last week when I STILL didn't receive my packet of information. I called the AAA office and our agent was out for the day (good thing!) so the woman who was helping me went to the back to check and came back saying "oh, they've been sitting here ready to be picked up!" To which I said "well that’s great because I was concerned that they wouldn't fit in my small apartment mailbox… but he did tell me they’d be mailed". She responded, "He didn't call you to tell you they were in? Well, that's a problem." I mean, if I had misheard or he had been mistaken that they would be mailed, he (or someone from the office) should have told me to come pick them up! So anyway, Aladdin went a picked them up the next day. But it gave me minor anxiety until I found out where they were.

Step 4: Cram All the Disney Movies We Can in Before We Go!
Some, I had only seen once in my lifetime but was willing to try them again - and I ended up liking most and even ended up buying some on DVD (the DVD collector I am... also addicted to Disney Movie Rewards…) Since we booked the trip, we have watched:
Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Cars, The Incredibles, Bug’s Life, Monster’s Inc, Wall-E, Ratatouille, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Hunchback, Enchanted, Newsies

In addition, I've also flipped through every guide book known to man (I own Birnbaums but I also work in a building with a Barnes and Noble, so I frequent it on lunch breaks) and we've watched all of the Disney On Demand content – although kinda disappointed it’s mostly what was on the planning DVD…

I will post our itinerary next but here's a picture of us at 6 Flags! (the warm up to Disney, hehe)
July 2003 - Caribbean Beach * March 2005 - Pop Century * September 2005 - Coronado Springs
April 2006 - Newport Bay Club (Disneyland Paris) * November 2008 - All Star Movies * October 2010 - Disney Family Museum San Francisco
August 2011 - Boardwalk Inn* April 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (and engaged at MK!) * Up Next: April 2015 - resort TBA

Old 11-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
ArielDreams
Mouseketeer

Itinerary

Now, for our Itinerary! (and my thought process...)
Saturday - We arrive in Orlando at around 1:30 where we will take the Magical Express to All Star Movies. I'm a first timer with the ME and a little nervous that our luggage won’t show up at a decent hour / at all but I'll try to deal with it. My cousin who recently returned said it was the best perk to not have to deal with luggage. I've just had bad experiences on cruises where my luggage never go picked up (two times in a row!). Anyway, we’ll give it a whirl! After checking in, we’ll head over to MK for the evening and pick up some counter service dinner. I chose MK here because I’m not sure when we'll be ready to go to the park and MK’s the one open latest (10pm). Hopefully we can catches Spectro and/or Wishes this night and get them out of the way.

Sunday – This is our Animal Kingdom day. We will be there for rope drop and will be heading straight for Everest. I've never been so I'm really excited! It was still being built the last time I was at AK. Usually, my family’s not big on AK so we don’t really poke around and do "non-ride" stuff. We will be doing everything this time though. Aladdin is a BIG fan of Animal Planet. Once we’ve done absolutely everything, we'll probably head back to the hotel, regroup and head to our dinner reservations at the Grand Floridian Cafe. Aladdin's always wanted to ride the monorail (simple things...) so he will definitely be able to here! Then we'll just jaunt over to MK. Again, it's open till 10. And if we get Spectro/Wishes out of the way, we'll be able to have some extra time on rides with no waits! I can't remember exactly but it might even be EMH?

Monday – Back to MK for the morning. I realize this is a lot of MK, but this will be our last time there and we can get done any last minute rides and not even stay too late. After regrouping at the hotel, we'll be heading over to Epcot, focusing mainly on the World Showcase and eating at Japan. This was Aladdin's only request of the trip – we must eat at Japan. Illuminations at 9.

Tuesday – We will be hanging out at the Studios for the entire day. This will be new to me since I don’t think I’ve ever stayed at one park for the entire day before. Our lunch reservations are for Sci-Fi Dine-In. Aladdin will love this since we enjoy going to the drive-in. We'll do Fantasmic and head back to the hotel to pack. I'm sad already that it's almost over and I haven't even left yet!

Wednesday – Our plane doesn't leave till 8pm so we'll checkout early, leave our bags at the hotel and head to Epcot, focusing on Future World, until we need to be back for the ME. We have lunch reservations at San Angel Inn in Mexico. I really enjoy the ambiance here (and the food!)

So that’s the plan! I will write a full trip report once I get home! I’m really excited, can’t believe it’s so close! Thanks for reading
July 2003 - Caribbean Beach * March 2005 - Pop Century * September 2005 - Coronado Springs
April 2006 - Newport Bay Club (Disneyland Paris) * November 2008 - All Star Movies * October 2010 - Disney Family Museum San Francisco
August 2011 - Boardwalk Inn* April 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (and engaged at MK!) * Up Next: April 2015 - resort TBA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: