Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #31
mariezp
DIS Veteran

pinktink83 has some great suggestions for you. I wanted to do a lot of what she suggested but we just didn't have the time.

I was trying my hardest to remember where we had seen that deer farm! We have some of the funniest video from there from our snowy trip to see the Grand Canyon. While you are there you can feed the deer. They follow you all over the place because they know very well when you have food. They are not shy at all about coming up to you and even surround you as long as you have food. Well, I kept getting goosed! Even though I knew it would be coming again, I couldn't help but let a little yelp out every time they poked me! Of course, my DH was more than happy to film the entire event even though he probably had a hard time hanging onto the camera while he was laughing so hard. Great place. When we were there they also had a cockatoo which was pretty entertaining. We still mimic him because he was so funny.

She also reminded me of another place in Arizona that we went, Tombstone. It's sorta of a touristy ghost town way off the beaten path. They had gunfights and stagecoach tours. And we also saw the world's largest rose tree. It was amazing!

I bet I will think of more!

mariezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #32
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktink83 View Post
Oops! I didnt realize you were in Texas, I guess I wouldnt bother with SeaWorld then!!! But DEF look into the Meritime Museum and the Navy ship tours. It really did look awesome! They are all on Harbour Blvd, down by the pier, within walking distance of each other. Also, eat at Anthony's....Mmmmm! Fish and Chips! Right next door. I second Scrippts Aquarium, too, especially if you arent going to SeaWorld.

If you are going to be spending more time in AZ, Williams (small town right outside of Flagstaff) has the Lava Tubes, you can go in and explore (its cold, bring a jacket!) and also The Grand Canyon Deer Farm which is pretty fun, but I am partial b/c I've been going there since I was a kid! There is also Meteor Crater nearby. You can take the Grand Canyon Railroad, it goes from the GC directly to Williams! If you go in December, they have the Polar Express ride, which sounds fun, but is a bit pricey.

Oh, and Flagstaff has Lowell Observatory which is AWESOME! You can even go up and look through the telescope at night and they'll point out all the stars, planets, etc. It was really neat when we did it. And if your kids truly love scenic driving, then you can't beat the drive down Oak Creek Canyon!!!

It might not be worth going out of your way for, but you can drive through Flagstaff to get to LA/San Diego, there are two ways, the 89, I think, or down to Phoenix then take the I-10 (which is what we usually do). You could loop around back that way on the way back home!

Sedona is also awesome...that could be a whole trip in and of itself. A Pink Jeep tour of the Indian Cave paintings are worth it alone! Plus its gorgeous!!! Also Montezuma Castle and Tonto Natural Bridge are cool. There are a LOT of neat sites to see that would make good "school trips" And there are a lot of caves in the Tucson area, Kartchner Caves and Colossal Caves (which Ive been too, it was really neat!)

Anyway, good luck!
I can't find your Seaworld report...I click on the link in your siggy and its the preschool one from May. Its that it?

I'm really really tired today, so its probably me.

2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Cindy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #33
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariezp View Post
She also reminded me of another place in Arizona that we went, Tombstone. It's sorta of a touristy ghost town way off the beaten path. They had gunfights and stagecoach tours.
DH and I both like the movie Tombstone. So, that might be something neat to look into.

Jennifer
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 11/DLR ~ Avengers 1/2 Marathon Weekend (1st 1/2 Marathon!), 11/AKV ~ Annual Thanksgiving Trip; 2015: 01/DLR ~ Star Wars 1/2 Marathon Weekend (5K & 1/2 Marathon), 04/POR (Spring Break), 11/BCV ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, 12/AKV & DCL (Magic) ~ Christmas Trip; 2016: 07/DCL (Magic ~ Med) & Disneyland Paris (20th Anniversary Trip)

TheTXTaylors5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #34
TheTXTaylors5

Back to my DLR planning . . .

Ride Questions:

We will be travelling with DS9, DD7 and DS4. Are there any "must do" rides for these age groups in your opinion? Preferably, rides they do NOT have at WDW. I've always wanted to ride The Matterhorn. Is there a height requirement for this ride? (For my DS4 not me. ) We will probably make a b-line to this ride upon entering DL. It just seems "so Disney" to me when I see it on the travel shows.

I read Space Mountain at DL has been refurbished. Does it have a better seat restraint than at MK? DS8 always asks to ride SM while at MK. But, DH and I won't let him. We've both ridden it and just don't feel it is safe for him. I'd have an anxiety attack worried that on one of the jerks, he'd go flying out of the car. So, is SM at DL better? Please say yes.

Toy Story Mania at DHS is the hottest new ride at WDW. Is the wait time just as ridiculous at DLR (120 minutes on average)? Also, which park did they put it in at DLR? We plan to ride it at DHS in a few weeks. DS3 loves Woody and I know that will be on our "must do" list for DLR too.

For those that have been to Epcot and DL, is the submarine ride at DL the same story-line as the Living Seas with Nemo and Friends? If so and if the line is too long, we could skip it. I've heard it can have a VERY long line by mid-day. Is this true?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Jennifer
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 11/DLR ~ Avengers 1/2 Marathon Weekend (1st 1/2 Marathon!), 11/AKV ~ Annual Thanksgiving Trip; 2015: 01/DLR ~ Star Wars 1/2 Marathon Weekend (5K & 1/2 Marathon), 04/POR (Spring Break), 11/BCV ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, 12/AKV & DCL (Magic) ~ Christmas Trip; 2016: 07/DCL (Magic ~ Med) & Disneyland Paris (20th Anniversary Trip)

Old 09-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #35
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTXTaylors5 View Post
Back to my DLR planning . . .

Ride Questions:

We will be travelling with DS9, DD7 and DS4. Are there any "must do" rides for these age groups in your opinion? Preferably, rides they do NOT have at WDW. I've always wanted to ride The Matterhorn. Is there a height requirement for this ride? (For my DS4 not me. ) We will probably make a b-line to this ride upon entering DL. It just seems "so Disney" to me when I see it on the travel shows.

I read Space Mountain at DL has been refurbished. Does it have a better seat restraint than at MK? DS8 always asks to ride SM while at MK. But, DH and I won't let him. We've both ridden it and just don't feel it is safe for him. I'd have an anxiety attack worried that on one of the jerks, he'd go flying out of the car. So, is SM at DL better? Please say yes.

Toy Story Mania at DHS is the hottest new ride at WDW. Is the wait time just as ridiculous at DLR (120 minutes on average)? Also, which park did they put it in at DLR? We plan to ride it at DHS in a few weeks. DS3 loves Woody and I know that will be on our "must do" list for DLR too.

For those that have been to Epcot and DL, is the submarine ride at DL the same story-line as the Living Seas with Nemo and Friends? If so and if the line is too long, we could skip it. I've heard it can have a VERY long line by mid-day. Is this true?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Jennifer
Matterhorn is a 35" height restriction. It's really bumpy! My then 3 year old didn't like it b/c of that, but there was a recent thread about little ones on M'horn, and most kids liked it.

There's a post today about WDW vs DLR coasters, including Space! Space is a different track between the two parks, and the seating is side-by-side, 2 across. Not the one in front of the other, nearly all alone, thing I've seen in pix of WDW's version. And it's a 40" height req, in case you wanted to know that.

Toy Story Midway Mania is in DCA. I hear that the line starts at towards the front of the park, so if it's a must-do, either get in that line as soon as you enter (early, I hope) or follow directions from those in the know who have waited until later for the line.

I know nothing about Nemo at wdw.

Be sure to have the kids check out bug's land!!!! My 4 year old (and I) love it so much better than Fantasyland. But be prepared with extra clothes (down to underpants and socks) if you're going to let them in the water play areas. You can see my Sept trip report to see how drenched a kid can get.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #36
avalon451
Errrr... what?

Since Space was refurbished, it's been said that it's MUCH better than the WDW version. We loved it! Thought it was pretty smooth.

My kids loved Indy. I've heard it beats Dinosaur hands down. DD5 wouldn't go on it though, partly because it "smelled funny" inside; and I think it would have been a bit too intense for her. But other kids love it.

California Screamin in DCA is awesome! My kids didn't get the chance to go on it, but my brother took his DD5, and it was her favorite ride!

About TSMM: I have read repeatedly that, to everybody's surprise, this ride is easier to get onto between 2-6 p.m. Like, 30-45 minute wait. You can do the thing where you line up early to get into DCA, but you may actually end up waiting longer that way. Also, many people have said that if you can stand being split up, single rider is the way to go. Very short waits that way. Anyway, it hasn't been posting horrendous 2-hour waits since shortly after it opened. Sometimes an hour at its busiest, I've heard?

Hope that helps!

avalon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #37
TheTXTaylors5

Thanks for the ride tips!

Jennifer

Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #38
TheTXTaylors5

I almost forgot I started this thread ...

I booked our trip this past week! We ARE going to DLR in June!!!!!! More info to come ...

Jennifer

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 01-13-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #39
TheTXTaylors5

After reading a Trip Report on another thread on DLR, I bit the bullet and booked our trip. I am soooooooooooo excited! Being our first trip to DLR, I decided to pay the extra money and stay on-property. We are booked four nights at the Disneyland Hotel (June 23rd - June 27th).

Jennifer

Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #40
TheTXTaylors5

Pre-Trip Report

Now that the trip is booked, I will start the "real" Pre-Trip Report ...

CAST OF TRAVELERS:
Me (Jennifer)
I never went to WDW as a child. My Dad even calls Mickey Mouse a "rat". Blasphemy! So, how did I become such a Disney fanatic? I am sure rebellion is in there somewhere. Also, marrying a "child at heart" helped.
Favorite Disney Character: Snow White (us brunette princesses have to stick together!)
Favorite WDW Ride: RNR @ DHS

DH (Bill)
He never went to WDW or DLR as a child. He always wants better for his children than he had and Disney vacations are no exception. Once we walk through the park turnstile, he turns off his mobile phone and reverts to being a child again (in a GOOD way!)
Favorite Disney Character: Mickey Mouse
Favorite WDW Ride: EE @ DAK

DS8
He has become more adventurous the more times we visit WDW. One year he won't ride POTC or HM, the next year he's riding Space Mountain and loving it!
Favorite Disney Character: Pluto (boy's best friend)
Favorite WDW Ride: Space Mountain @ MK

DD6
She's our girly girl. We went to CRT breakfast at the MK for the first time this past September. She was beaming the whole meal. I love having a little girl to ooh and aah over the princesses and pink things. Don't get me wrong, she loves Space Mountain and BTMRR with the best of them too.
Favorite Disney Character: Ariel (Snow White close 2nd)
Favorite WDW Ride: Space Mountain @ MK (BTMRR close 2nd)

DS3
He is like most third child (youngest child), the attention getter. He rode KRR at DAK for the first time this past September and I think we have a new thrill-ride child on our hands. It will be fun when he is a little taller. So, we can ride some of the more adventurous rides "as a family". For now, the Rider Swap is our friend. One ride he DOES enjoy, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin at MK. He's been know to flash his blue eyes at the CMs and they let us re-ride without getting off.
Favorite Disney-Pixar Character: Buzz Lightyear (Lightning McQueen close 2nd)
Favorite WDW Ride: Buzz Lighyear's Space Ranger Spin @ MK

We have NEVER been to DLR as a family. I was 7 going on 8 when I went to Disneyland (many, many moons ago before DCA was even a thought). So, there are many new rides and attractions I have yet to experience too. We've been to WDW nine (9) times in four years and on three Disney cruises out of Port Canaveral, FL (#4 coming up in November 2009). So at this point, we feel like we know the WDW resorts and parks like the back of our hands. Now, DLR is going to be a whole new experience for us. The thing I anticipate the most is walking into DLP and seeing the fire station with Walt's lamp on.

"Our WDW trips have given our family so many great memories. I thought it was time to pay homage to Walt and visit the park where it all started."

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 01-16-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #41
TheTXTaylors5

mariezp (If you are still lurking around ),

I loved reading your trip report on another thread. One question ...

What is a Fantastic dessert reservation? Where is the seating? Is it kind of like the Fantasmic Dinner package at DHS?

Jennifer

Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #42
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
mariezp (If you are still lurking around ),

I loved reading your trip report on another thread. One question ...

What is a Fantastic dessert reservation? Where is the seating? Is it kind of like the Fantasmic Dinner package at DHS?

Jennifer
It was a lot of fun writing my report to share with everyone...and a lot of work! I hope I was able to give some new travelers a few ideas... like maybe that Fantasmic seating!

I don't really know about the Fantasmic Dinner package at DHS so I can't say if they are very similar. At DL they offer special reserved riverside seating which includes a dessert box and beverages for their showings of Fantasmic. It's kinda pricey but well worth splurging for if you don't want to stake out a spot for hours. We like it just to have a seat to sit in while we watch the show. If you go for the first showing you can remain in your seat and watch the fireworks if they are showing. Again, nice to have a seat without fighting the crowd, although some people seem to think the only place to watch the fireworks in directly in front of the castle.

mariezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #43
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
After reading a Trip Report on another thread on DLR, I bit the bullet and booked our trip. I am soooooooooooo excited! Being our first trip to DLR, I decided to pay the extra money and stay on-property. We are booked four nights at the Disneyland Hotel (June 23rd - June 27th).

Jennifer
We'll be there the same time for our anniversary trip- no kids! June 24-July1st. We decided to stay at Embassy Suites South instead of onsite and stay for extra days.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #44
TheTXTaylors5

Okay, here's our itinerary (I can't make our PS yet. So, these are my "wish" PS reservations. ):

Saturday (June 20th)
Depart TX
Arrive NM (Lodging ?)

Sunday (June 21st)
Depart NM
Arrive Grand Canyon, AZ
Visit Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam
Arrive at Las Vegas, NV (Lodging - Paris resort and casino)

Monday (June 22nd)
Las Vegas

Tuesday (June 23rd)
Depart LV, NM
Arrive Disneyland Resort (Lodging - Disneyland Hotel)
Dinner @ Bubba Gump Shrimp Company
(PM) Relax @ resort and get to bed early.

Wednesday (June 24th)
(AM) Disneyland Park
Breakfast - In the room
Obtain FP for Space Mountain
Ride Matterhorn Bobsleds
Ride Tea Cups or Carrousel (which ever has shortest line)
Ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Ride Buzz Lightyear
Ride Space Mountain w/FP
Ride BTMRR
Obtain FP for Splash Mountain
Ride Indiana Jones
Lunch @ Golden Horseshoe Saloon
Ride Splash Mountain w/FP
(Go back to room to change if needed )

(PM) Disney's California Adventure Park
Obtain FP for Soarin' (or have someone run over earlier in the day to obtain. Is that still possible?)
Dinner @ Pacific Wharf
I need help with a touring plan for rides at this park for Wednesday afternoon/evening and for Friday morning).
We want to ride/experience:
Soarin'
TSM
ToT
Monsters, Inc
California Screamin'
King Triton's Carousel
Grizzly River Run
Flik's Fun Fair
Aladdin Show

Thursday (June 25th/DH's Birthday!)
(AM & PM) Disneyland Park (MM)
Breakfast - In the room
Ride Indiana Jones
Ride Haunted Mansion
Ride Pirates of the Caribbean
Lunch - (PS) Blue Bayou
Ride Jungle Cruise
Take train to Fantasyland
Ride IASW
Ride Nemo (during parade)
Dinner - ?
Snack - (PS) Fantasmic Dessert Package

Friday (June 26th)
Breakfast - (PS) Goofy's Kitchen
(AM) DCA
(PM) DLP

Saturday (June 27th)
(AM) DLP - Mickey’s ToonTown Magical Morning
Depart DLR to San Diego, CA (Lodging ?)

Sunday (June 28th)
Visit Legoland - San Diego, CA
Depart CA
Arrive in NM (Lodging ?)

Monday (June 29th)
NM to TX
Arrive Home!

More updating to come ...

Jennifer

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 01-27-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #45
wdhinn89
DIS Veteran

Any thoughts where you will stay in San Diego?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: