Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #1216
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

not one of those things listed has replaced pleasure island. Why don't you write them back and ask them to tell you why those items couldn't have been built without closing the clubs? And while you're at it, explain that the 1980s animatronics in T-Rex are a disgrace to the Disney company, to have such crap on their property.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #1217
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Well, the last rumor was that third party operators were going to be allowed to reopen some of the clubs....as clubs. Well that may still be in the cards but according to another Disney-fan website, plans are now so huge that they include not only PI but also Marketplace and the West Side!

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.c...g-on-down.html

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #1218
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
Well, the last rumor was that third party operators were going to be allowed to reopen some of the clubs....as clubs. Well that may still be in the cards but according to another Disney-fan website, plans are now so huge that they include not only PI but also Marketplace and the West Side!

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.c...g-on-down.html

BobK/Orlando
Quote:
Let's just say for now that the current DTD, PI and WestSide put together is only about 1/3 of the size it will be when it is complete.
Uhhhhh...how? Unless they expand across the street? They could probably take half - or all - of the western parking lot, but that still won't triple the size.

And Flamingo Crossing still belongs to the flamingos...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #1219
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

I don't understand it either. If they can't find anybody to occupy the spaces they already have, how can they get that many new places to expand the size by another 200%? Perhaps we could see a convention hotel built at the extreme west end and an expansion north towards Saratoga. But again, who is going to fill the retail spaces?

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #1220
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

So now, the plans for DTD include...a bowling alley - "Splitsville". It's not the worst idea, but it is still something that you can do anywhere.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #1221
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
So now, the plans for DTD include...a bowling alley - "Splitsville". It's not the worst idea, but it is still something that you can do anywhere.
Really? They've been saying for years now that they plan to build the largest bowling facility in the U.S. at WWoS, and they still haven't broken ground that I know of...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #1222
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Really? They've been saying for years now that they plan to build the largest bowling facility in the U.S. at WWoS, and they still haven't broken ground that I know of...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #1223
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
Dreams come true!

Now if only they had a movie theater and a restaurant or two at DTD, we'd never have to go into the theme parks.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #1224
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Well, it looks like slightly more than a bowling alley...described as:

Quote:
This fall, construction will begin on Splitsville, a 50,000-square-foot upscale entertainment center that combines bowling with billiards, dining, music and nightlife.
But really...they think I've flown 1,500 miles because what I really want to do is go bowling? More reasons to not feel bad to continue my one-man boycott of DTD.

My favorite line is this.
Quote:
Over on Pleasure Island, we’ve completed removing some of the buildings that aren’t part of our future plans. During the course of this site work, we identified opportunities to further refine our master plan and are pausing to evaluate them. What does this mean for you? While we’re moving quickly, it will admittedly cause a delay in construction. But we’re willing to bet that any delay will be worth the wait once we’re able to share details about the exciting work we’ve been doing.
Translated in to non-corporate speak: It's been three years and we still don't have a clue what we're doing. But you'll love it!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #1225
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

as a local who loves to bowl, but hasn't ever found the desire to go find a bowling alley, I'm actually excited about that coming to the former Virgin location. If it truly makes a combination of adult entertainment, then well done.

Now, the PI news on the other hand, virtually affirms what has been rumored. They are "redesigning" translation = we effed up AGAIN.

open CW, MDP, 8-trax(or something similar in format), and AC, put the new bowling thing in, and we'll be on good shape to recover from this fiasco

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #1226
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Now, the PI news on the other hand, virtually affirms what has been rumored. They are "redesigning" translation = we effed up AGAIN.
Agreed!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #1227
Disneyman_10
Future Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytimez View Post
Dreams come true!

Now if only they had a movie theater and a restaurant or two at DTD, we'd never have to go into the theme parks.
They do have a movie theater.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #1228
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

I am sure that was a facetious remark. They obviously have all that was mentioned.
It all still amounts to an underwhelming announcement.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #1229
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Roam View Post
I am sure that was a facetious remark. They obviously have all that was mentioned.
It all still amounts to an underwhelming announcement.
Well, underwhelming perhaps, but to Disney's credit they didn't present it as some huge revolutionary announcement at D23...I mean, they mentioned it in a post on the Disney blog, not exactly trying to say "Wow, look at us!" or anything

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #1230
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Well, underwhelming perhaps, but to Disney's credit they didn't present it as some huge revolutionary announcement at D23...I mean, they mentioned it in a post on the Disney blog, not exactly trying to say "Wow, look at us!" or anything
Don't exhale just yet. D23 is next month -- they still have plenty of time to turn this whole-lotta-nuthin' into some huge revolutionary announcement.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: