Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #751
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7800 View Post
It appears that Disney is willing to wait, leaving former club buildings empty
Empty and falling down. Word is that part of the roof of BET collapsed over the summer due to lack of maintenance on the air conditioning units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
It means some will still have hope for the next two years that the AC will reopen...
After seeing the pictures of the club being stripped of artifacts, I think that those hopes are long gone. At least for any sane, reasonable AC fan.

I still miss it every single week. But it's not coming back.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #752
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post
After seeing the pictures of the club being stripped of artifacts, I think that those hopes are long gone. At least for any sane, reasonable AC fan.
No such thing.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #753
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:
No such thing.
Actually, there are quite a few of us. We're just not very vocal.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #754
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Quote:
It means some will still have hope for the next two years that the AC will reopen...
That would be me..
Actually, I think there is a chance it will return, but not reopen.
What do I mean by that?? I don't think there is a chance the old club building will reopen, but I think there is a chance we will see the AC in some form, perhaps not at DTD. I still think the Hong Kong dinner show may be a trial baloon for WDW.

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #755
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7800 View Post

Wouldn't that mean this thread will still have something to discuss (or maybe the lack of something) for at least three more years?
No, nothing to discuss unless you want to discuss if Landry's will be opening another themed restaurant or if Coach will be opening a store. Besides, it's no longer Pleasure Island, it's being renamed, "Retailers Island".

The new backstory will be that a large conglomerate came in and bought out the Merriweather family so they could develop the area into a strip mall.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #756
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:
Oh come now, you don't actually believe that do you?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #757
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitros View Post
Oh come now, you don't actually believe that do you?
That some will still hold out hope, or that that it will reopen? I'm talking the former.

I'm with MG though in the hope that it WILL return in some form still, but elsewhere. There is no reason for it to be in PI any more, since PI isn't any more. I hope they change the name. "DTD Central" or something.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #758
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:
That some will still hold out hope, or that that it will reopen? I'm talking the former.

I'm with MG though in the hope that it WILL return in some form still, but elsewhere. There is no reason for it to be in PI any more, since PI isn't any more. I hope they change the name. "DTD Central" or something.
I don't know. When Disney gets rid of something, it doesn't come back......... Mr. Toads Wild Ride, Horizons, to mention a couple.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #759
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

RRBC sign has been removed.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #760
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitros View Post
I don't know. When Disney gets rid of something, it doesn't come back......... Mr. Toads Wild Ride, Horizons, to mention a couple.
. . .Figment, Early Entry. . . Sometimes things do come back, just not in the same form. (And in those two examples, not as good as the original.) I still think there's hope for the Club to return in some form, though do think it will be a while before they would be willing to bring it back, since I don't think they want to give the impression that they were wrong. I think the actual AC wasn't ever going to come back, if for no other reason than the fact that the building is apparently in really bad shape. Plus there's that pesky outsourcing thing.

But I think the idea of the Club, plus the storylines and characters, are too good to abandon forever. I don't know if Disney will ever decide to revisit the Club in some way (and I don't know if it would be in a form that fans would like), but I still have hope that they will open a new Adventurers Club in Florida at some point.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #761
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I'll be leaving for WDW tomorrow for my first post-AC trip. If it weren't for Christmas shopping, I think I would avoid DTD completely in protest.

Where is the best place to lay the memorial wreath?

SkierPete

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #762
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Where is the best place to lay the memorial wreath?
You should have got one of those RIP tombstones when the stores had them at Halloween.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #763
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

those are some interesting new pieces of information. It has been pretty clear something is going on with Mannequins, but the question has been WHAT. I wonder if it's a steakhouse going into mannequins. I guess that would be fitting since it always was a meat market

I just want them to move on. Get rid of the sign, try to make it less painful. I still hold that they should have kept the clubs open longer. Obviously they just wanted out and were going to get out no matter what it took.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #764
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
I wonder if it's a steakhouse going into mannequins. I guess that would be fitting since it always was a meat market.
LMFAO.....good one!

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #765
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
LMFAO.....good one!

BobK/Orlando
Ditto...I genuinely just laughed out loud at my desk here.

That still seems an odd building to try to put a restaurant in. And really, I don't know that Raglan and Paradisio are doing so well that I would want to open a third competitor right on top of them.

But once again I'm looking for logic from a management team that seems incapable of using it...
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: