Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #481
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
I had two different people e-mail me this week to tell me that the Mannequins revolving dance floor has been removed and sold to someone. I'm a little skeptical about it because supposedly you'd pretty much have to tear down the building to get to the dance floor and the building is still standing. Anyone hear anything?

BobK/Orlando
Why would they tear down the building? When they built Mannequins, they did not put the revolving floor on the ground, and then put the building up around it. The building was put up, and the dance floor was added after the building was done
When they built Expedition Everest, do you think they just put the huge yeti animatronic on the ground and put the mountain up around it? No, they built the mountain first, then added the interior components.
When they built the T-Rex restaurant, they put up the building, then added the dinosaurs.
You have to remember, the dance floor was not in one, huge piece, it was brought in in sections after the building was closed in.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #482
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitros View Post
Why would they tear down the building? You have to remember, the dance floor was not in one, huge piece, it was brought in in sections after the building was closed in.
Is that a fact or are you speculating? Regardless of how it was installed, there were other things added after the floor was put in that made it permanent. Or so I'm told. But I wasn't around back in those days so that's why I'm soliciting comments.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #483
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Yet more changes to "Celebration Plaza" (tweaks are one thing, but this is like fourth or fifth overhaul of the show in a month).

The "Food and Wine" tables are gone, the tables with chairs have returned. And the poles with the TVs/lights have been reconfigured around a small shed right in front of the entrance to CW--sort of resembles a temporary concession stand. Rumor is that shed will used to distribute buttons ("Happy Birthday," "Happy Anniversary," "1st Visit"...). No surprise, it looks very shoddy compared to the highly themed permanent buildings that surround it, sitting empty.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #484
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

I coincidently posted a picture yesterday on my Blog of that wonderful new shed. (www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com)

Mannequins fans will want to come out to Vintage tonight as a trio of former Mannequins DJ's will be out there!

Speaking of Mannequins, rumor has it that the wall that separated Mannequins from 8TRAX has been stripped out and it's one large space. Not sure if it's true since there were bathrooms in 8TRAX at the lower level and in Mannequins at the upper level. But that's the rumor along with the dance floor removal rumor.

BobK/Orlando
Old 05-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #485
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

the wall itself is still in tact, but it's possible everything between has been ripped out.

The floor thing I absolutely don't buy. I have made the aquaintance of a couple more spies on the island and they assured me they would know if the floor got removed. Plus I've been given a quote of 65k for a 42 ft rotating dance floor. I'm sorry, but even the mannequins dance floor, which barely worked, is not worth 2 million dollars.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #486
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

I walked through the Island last night with a friend of mine that had not been there since the night the clubs closed. He looked in disbelief as we passed the Mannequins building, all the signs still on the building, the elevator light still on, yet sitting unused. To the right Motion...deserted. To the left 8TRAX....signage covered but empty. To the right Adventurers Club all decorated up just like it was that night 8 months ago....but unused. Over at Celebration Plaza he got his first whiff of Celebrate Tonight and the small group of on-lookers there did not impress whatsoever.

This is the state of Pleasure Island today.

BobK/Orlando
Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #487
Lilmattie13
Mouseketeer

It just amazes me how no further information has been leaked out as to what is going on with the whole Pleasure Island thing. You would think someone out there would leak out what exactly the plans are for the area.

It seems so useless to just have the buildings sitting there with really no change or progress being made. It also seems ridiculous that they would have closed things down, especially during these hard economic times, without having something in the near future to get that space up and running as soon as possible to make money.

The die hard fans of certain clubs surely would have created income off of these clubs until something certain was going to be done.

Isnt there anyone out there with additional info???
ANYONE
:
1997 Off Property, 1st visit *1999 All Star Sports*2001 off Property*2002 Off Property*2005 CBR*2006 DISNEYLAND Disney hotel*2007 POR *2008 Doubletree DTD*2008 SEPT GF *2009 Mar POR.* 2009 Sept POLY *2010 June SWAN*2010 Sept Yacht club*AKL Kidani Nov 2010*PoP June 2011*GF Sept 2011*HGVC Sea World Nov 2011
Lilmattie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #488
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

I dont think anything has leaked because there is nothing to leak. It really does seem like they have no plans currently. Maybe there were some plans originally and they fell through, but it seems they have no plans now.

We'll soon be coming up to one year on with no sign of anything happening and then it wont be too long before those building start decaying and become as much of an eye sore was Pop Legendary years are. Yet the Disney exec dont seem to care!?
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #489
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Per previous reports over clauses in the actors contracts, I would not expect a full reopening of the AC to occur until after Sept. 30th, if any such thing might be planned, and it would probably be some time after that while they go through the rehiring/reassigning process, renovations if needed, etc.

I think it is still likely that third parties had backed out when the economy went south, and still no deals have been concluded since.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #490
Lilmattie13
Mouseketeer

You know if all plans fell through due to the economy then why not just open the clubs back up. Rehire who you canned and get things up and running again. I mean at least you would have some revenue coming into the clubs versus just sitting there making no money.

I am sure there are some legal loopholes that wont allow that to happen right now lol but it seems like Disney would come up with something quick that would allow them to make money off of the property versus it just sitting there idly.

I guess we will just have to see. But... wouldn't it be nice to have an inside CM leak some news or possible plans lol
:
1997 Off Property, 1st visit *1999 All Star Sports*2001 off Property*2002 Off Property*2005 CBR*2006 DISNEYLAND Disney hotel*2007 POR *2008 Doubletree DTD*2008 SEPT GF *2009 Mar POR.* 2009 Sept POLY *2010 June SWAN*2010 Sept Yacht club*AKL Kidani Nov 2010*PoP June 2011*GF Sept 2011*HGVC Sea World Nov 2011
Lilmattie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #491
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Per previous reports over clauses in the actors contracts, I would not expect a full reopening of the AC to occur until after Sept. 30th, if any such thing might be planned, and it would probably be some time after that while they go through the rehiring/reassigning process, renovations if needed, etc.

I think it is still likely that third parties had backed out when the economy went south, and still no deals have been concluded since.
Can't go into much detail on my source, but I have first-hand information that the 1-year clause in the actors' contracts was just Internet rumor--barring retraining door hosts and reassigning bartenders, the Adventurers Club (as well as "Soundstage" and Motion) could open tomorrow.

Pure and simple, the management of DTD doesn't mind the "bad show" of empty buildings.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #492
Stich's girlfriend
Earning My Ears

Hi all,
This is a rumor that I picked up from friend..I'm sure folks with better sources can determine if there is truth to it or not..Apprently the new pleasure island has been refered to as "Night World" and will not be located in the downtown disney area..so that there will be better controls and the guests won't have to deal with all of the problems that occoured with Pleasure Island...hopefully someone will be able to check and see if there is anything to this...
Stich's girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #493
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich's girlfriend View Post
Hi all,
This is a rumor that I picked up from friend..I'm sure folks with better sources can determine if there is truth to it or not..Apprently the new pleasure island has been refered to as "Night World" and will not be located in the downtown disney area..so that there will be better controls and the guests won't have to deal with all of the problems that occoured with Pleasure Island...hopefully someone will be able to check and see if there is anything to this...
Sounds like the amalgamated rumors again...Night Kingdom + Flamingo Crossing. FC is pretty much as far away as Disney could put it, so it could make sense as a new club area, away from the "family" shopping areas so they don't mix as much - but FC is supposedly chain hotels and restaurants at this point to my knowledge. Night Kingdom is supposedly is on ice if not actually dead. Other than the Four Seasons, no other contruction is known to be going on.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #494
wishdisney
a true WDW fan.

i work at planet hollywood and i get asked maybe about 2 times a day asking about the clubs...i still see ladies walking around in little black dresses. the celebrate tonight thing is so loud and annoying, its ridiculous!
wishdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #495
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Sounds like the amalgamated rumors again...Night Kingdom + Flamingo Crossing. FC is pretty much as far away as Disney could put it, so it could make sense as a new club area, away from the "family" shopping areas so they don't mix as much - but FC is supposedly chain hotels and restaurants at this point to my knowledge. Night Kingdom is supposedly is on ice if not actually dead. Other than the Four Seasons, no other contruction is known to be going on.

yeah, you're exactly right. That whole idea is a combination of all those rumors.

I will also note that there has been movement inside 8-trax. The bathroom sign that was previously laying on the floor is now gone entirely and some other stuff was moved around. Nothing major, but it means someone has been in there.

I'd encourage anyone working near PI to hand out the guest services business cards and tell them to write a letter. No, it won't matter, but it makes (me) feel good.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: