Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #391
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

I haven't probed for any info on the other clubs, but I do have reason to believe the AC will re-open, in some form, as a Disney owned & run club.

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #392
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maistre Gracey View Post
I haven't probed for any info on the other clubs, but I do have reason to believe the AC will re-open, in some form, as a Disney owned & run club.

MG
yes I'm sorry I did not mention that in my post. It just won't happen for a bit yet, which is ok. Outsource mannequins and 8-trax, then work on getting AC reopened into a dinner experience, and we'll be in good shape. Most people will be happy to still have the clubs and the AC fans will cause Disney to make tons of $$$ off the concept

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #393
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
By the way, all these positions are being outsourced.
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, and believe me, it wouldn't be the first time, but there seems to be a conflict of information being posted here. The notice from disneyauditions.com posted above states:
"Performers employed by the Walt Disney World Resort are covered under the terms and conditions of a Collective Bargaining Agreement with Actors’ Equity Association."
This, and the fact that Disney is auditioning the DJs itself, strongly implies that the DJs will be Disney employees. Not outsourced.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #394
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_WDW74 View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, and believe me, it wouldn't be the first time, but there seems to be a conflict of information being posted here. The notice from disneyauditions.com posted above states: "Performers employed by the Walt Disney World Resort are covered under the terms and conditions of a Collective Bargaining Agreement with Actors’ Equity Association." This, and the fact that Disney is auditioning the DJs itself, strongly implies that the DJs will be Disney employees. Not outsourced.
Good point. But keep in mind that the statement is factual; performers employed by WDW are union positions. But that still does not mean that the positions being auditioned are Disney employees. About a month or so ago there were auditions at Atlantic Dance and those hired did not get employed by WDW but instead by private DJ companies. So we don't really know how these new PI Live DJ's will be employed. But I agree that it does imply Disney employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Motion and Soundstage can rot for all I care. There is nothing nothing unique about those clubs.
Ahh, don't be bashful. Tell us how you really feel!

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #395
zulemara

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post

Ahh, don't be bashful. Tell us how you really feel!

BobK/Orlando
don't I always

Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #396
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_WDW74 View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, and believe me, it wouldn't be the first time, but there seems to be a conflict of information being posted here. The notice from disneyauditions.com posted above states:
"Performers employed by the Walt Disney World Resort are covered under the terms and conditions of a Collective Bargaining Agreement with Actors’ Equity Association."
This, and the fact that Disney is auditioning the DJs itself, strongly implies that the DJs will be Disney employees. Not outsourced.
Absolutley right. Are conflicts of information anything new in these AC threads?

Don't know much about the auditions, just repeating what I've heard from credible sources. It would be odd, tho, that the existing DJs couldn't just be moved if this was only a change in location; instead they have to re-audition.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #397
zulemara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Absolutley right. Are conflicts of information anything new in these AC threads?

Don't know much about the auditions, just repeating what I've heard from credible sources. It would be odd, tho, that the existing DJs couldn't just be moved if this was only a change in location; instead they have to re-audition.
I think that because they are looking for DJ/entertainer, that is part of the reason for having to re-audition even if they were going to be Disney CMs. Being a DJ and being an entertainer are two very different things.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #398
zulemara

this just in...construction crews were at the island last night with a cement cutter and cut several lines in the concrete at the beginning of the bridge leading into PI right by Mannequins. Now they are back with a back hoe and things are not looking good for the archway with Pleasure Island on it.

If that thing disappears...just remember you heard it here first!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #399
asianway
Kungaloosh!

Today, they threw a wooden ramp over the section of concrete, it looked like they put some blacktop on top of the hole. It looked like they may have just needed to put down a pipe or something.

In other news, the pin/merchandise cart has disappered, so it looks like they are getting ready for the West End dueling DJs
asianway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #400
PDJPrinceCharming
I'll be easy to spot. Come & say hello...
Ok I might be losing my mind here & that is very possible

If the pin cart is gone, maybe the return of Comedy Warehouse is upcoming. Come on Kevin make it happen!

Movies 2006 & Christmas 2013, Music 2007 & Sports Christmas 2008
Pop 2008, 2009(20th Trip), 2010, 2011(It's a Non Kinda Thing!), Christmas 2012(Podcast Cruise 4.0), 2013, 2014 & Christmas 2014
Art of Animation 2012(Disney Sea Across The Universal)
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo 2013 Kidani Village Christmas 2013
Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary Resort- Christmas 2014
Boardwalk Villas Christmas 2013
Old Key West Villas Christmas 2013 & 2014
Villas at Grand Floridian Christmas 2013
Polynesian Resort Christmas 2012
Paradise Pier at Disneyland Resort- Christmas 2009
Grand Californian Villas at Disneyland Resort- 2015
Cabana Bay Beach Resort at Universal- 2014, Christmas 2014 & 2015

My YouTube Channel: Pop www.youtube.com/user/SirOwenDisney
PDJPrinceCharming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #401
LovelyPrincess
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know when the new DTD stores will be opening? I'm assuming the removal of the clubs was to make more room for shopping? And to be "family-friendly"...I'm going in August ans was hoping something besides Characters in Flight would be opened..
LovelyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #402
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Personally I am not interested in AC as a "dinner experience." I doubt many AC fans will want to go on a regular basis if it's a full-blown dinner show.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #403
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Personally I am not interested in AC as a "dinner experience." I doubt many AC fans will want to go on a regular basis if it's a full-blown dinner show.
AC as a dinner show vs. no AC? I'll take what I can get.

I'd prefer my original idea - make it BOTH. Actors can slide in and out of the dinner and bar/library areas. AC benefits from increased revenue and exposure of the restaurant.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #404
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
AC as a dinner show vs. no AC? I'll take what I can get.

I'd prefer my original idea - make it BOTH. Actors can slide in and out of the dinner and bar/library areas. AC benefits from increased revenue and exposure of the restaurant.
I agree.

What I'd really like to see is one of these:
Turn Soundstage into an Adventurers themed restaurant, servers can be "in character" like at Prime Time but not playing the roles of the actual Adventurers from the Club. Club characters could wander through occasionally. Leave the Club itself as is but add a cover charge. People who ate at the restaurant get in free or get a discount.

or

Turn Soundstage into a dinner theater. From 6:00 till 8:00 (or whatever timing works) have an Adventurers themed dinner show, using the actual characters from the Club. After that, open the Club till 1:00 (or so) and leave the Club as it has been. Again, have a cover charge and give a discount if you've gone to the dinner show. The dinner show could be family friendly, and the Club itself could stay more adult oriented.

I've heard rumors that were variations of each of these, and I'd be quite happy with either one. I would rather have the Club in some form than no Club at all, but I would really prefer that it not be strictly a dinner show. That would mean it would no longer be a good place to spend each evening of a trip, which is what we used to do on most of our trips after dinner.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #405
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Keep in mind that should it be true that any of the clubs are going to reopen, they will each have to pay their own way. AC in it's old form did not make a lot of revenue because it didn't need to. It was just part of a package that people purchased that included many things. PI's overall revenue subsidized it. Keep in mind that AC is a labor-intensive operation; i.e. expensive. So the only hope for the place is for it to earn revenue in the form of food, beverages and souvenirs. That pretty much means a mandatory dinner of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPrincess View Post
Does anyone know when the new DTD stores will be opening? I'm assuming the removal of the clubs was to make more room for shopping? And to be "family-friendly"
Except for the Paradiso 37 restaurant/night club,the adjoining Street Foods of the Americas food court and the upcoming move of PI Live from it's old location at the Hub over to the Laffers Cantina area, you won't find anything new on Pleasure Island when you visit this summer. The clubs closed and whatever was actually planned fell through. There are rumors of a third party operator possibly reopening a couple clubs plus a rumor of Disney reopening AC in 2010. Other than that, the only new things in DTD that I can think of are the Balloon ride (Westside) and the Tren-D store (Marketplace).

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: