Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #361
Hathaway Browne
Mouseketeer

Surely even if they bought just one or two of the clubs back it would be worthwhile, rather than having the whole place a ghosttown (and business going to the competitor).

I can understand that they may not have anticpated the lack of clients to open news stores when they announced the closure, but refusing to budge has the air of stupidity about it.

But then I guess part of it is saving face by refusung to publicly admit they made a mistake.

I maybe a little biased, but if I was in charge I'm sure the numbers would tell me it makes sense to make use of whats just standing there gathering dust. And I don't mean sticking a balloon sculpter on the steps of the Adventurers Club!

RETURN THE ADVENTURERS CLUB!
Hathaway Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #362
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
I can understand that they may not have anticipated the lack of clients to open news stores when they announced the closure, but refusing to budge has the air of stupidity about it.
I'm told that when PI employees were transferred or fired, they were promised first crack at jobs if PI reopened. Not a problem for those that transferred elsewhere in the company but definitely a problem for those that were fired and belong to a union. Apparently they would keep their seniority and have to be paid back wages retroactive to the termination date if PI clubs reopened.

Thus, if any clubs are going to reopen, look for that to happen after the 1 year closure anniversary date when Disney is free of obligations on the fired employees.

Is this really true? Don't know. The fact that they're taking private rentals right now on a few clubs does show a desire to liven things up; the fact that they're only offering private rentals now through the end of September matches the 1 year closure anniversary date too. It makes sense that they can't take private bookings for later than the end of September because the clubs might be open again at that point and that could create booking versus club being open conflicts.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #363
MemoToMe
I'm considering getting No Limits
I am just too colorful for words

I think the reason that they're only taking bookings through the end of Sept. has more to do with the fact that the new fiscal year starts on or around Oct. 1 (the same reason they chose to close the island at that time).
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #364
angelmav
DIS Veteran

With the closure of the Virgin Megastore the decision to shutter the clubs is proving to be even more boneheaded. There is about to be a commercial real estate implosion in this country and Disney wont be immune. Heck, they cant get businesses in to redevelop the place now. This could go on for sometime, and having a empty clubs mirroring empty stores isnt exactly the best way to attract people to DTD. I bet the other businesses that are anchored their are getting a bit antsy at the prospect of losing what remains of their lure to consumers.
angelmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #365
DisFlan
DIS Veteran

I can't say how much of a mistake Disney made with PI, but I know from watching WDW during downturns in the past (from the late 70's until now) that they're willing to sit on "empty spaces" when times are lean. We may see those empty buildings for quite a while as part of the cost-cutting measures.

And I'm sure the bean counters have calculated exactly what it will cost to let them sit there empty (except for special events) vs what it would cost to operate venues there right now. Very likely, that's why they were closed in the first place. Disney doesn't dump profit-makers.

DisFlan

SSR 9/25/09 - 10/02/09

DisFlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #366
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

I can't find the article and if I keep searching google I'm gonna start crying at what I'm reading, but Kevin Lansberry himself said "the clubs are still profitable"

So yes, Disney does close things that are profitable. Furthermore, there were no surveys, it was all a lie.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #367
jfinke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmav View Post
With the closure of the Virgin Megastore the decision to shutter the clubs is proving to be even more boneheaded. There is about to be a commercial real estate implosion in this country and Disney wont be immune. Heck, they cant get businesses in to redevelop the place now. This could go on for sometime, and having a empty clubs mirroring empty stores isnt exactly the best way to attract people to DTD. I bet the other businesses that are anchored their are getting a bit antsy at the prospect of losing what remains of their lure to consumers.
When did that happen? Is the movie theater going to close soon as well?

We just got back last weekend. I spent zero time at DTD solely because of the closure of PI. None of those stores were going to get a cent from me, even if I wanted Earl of Sandwich.
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #368
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I know Raglan Road is not happy with the current situation of Pleasure Island. It's the reason they have cut their hours at night.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #369
angelmav
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinke View Post
When did that happen? Is the movie theater going to close soon as well?

We just got back last weekend. I spent zero time at DTD solely because of the closure of PI. None of those stores were going to get a cent from me, even if I wanted Earl of Sandwich.
Virgin is closing all their US operations. I believe the Orlando store close May 31st, but I read that here, the news just reported the closing.

Yes, Disney did let it slip that the clubs operated at a profit, but that acknowledgment was hedged that it was a small profit and the assumption was they would do better for the bottom line if they were landlords rather than operators. Of course that has turned out to be more difficult than imagined, as they cant seem to draw the tennants or agreements that they thought were in place have fallen through.

The problem for disney is that by losing a Virgin, having empty clubs, they risk losing the other tennants that are their. It also damages the attractiveness to new tennants for what is certainly a premium priced space, and the places operated by Disney suffer from the downturn in traffic. One thing constantly affects another.

Does that mean there will be a revival (the cheapest way for disney to get capitol flowing back to PI/DTD) since nothing major besides staffing has to be done to open the doors? Well have to see, but I think that the Virgin closing is a harbinger that the thinking that led to the shuttering of PI may have to be revisited.
angelmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #370
jfinke
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the update!

Maybe they can just convert the west side to a club area and let PI be more chain restaurants. Then just lock of the west side so that the dangerous gangs of teenagers can just bother the marketplace. (Yes, I am being snarky.)
Old 03-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #371
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinke View Post
......let PI be more chain restaurants.
The rumor that the Mannequins/8TRAX building will be turned into a Harley Davidson Cafe is still around. Not sure how to post a picture here but I've posted a photo of the one in Las Vegas on my website at: www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

BobK/Orlando
Old 03-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #372
Hathaway Browne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
I know Raglan Road is not happy with the current situation of Pleasure Island. It's the reason they have cut their hours at night.
I'd be pretty cheesed off if I were them too.

So there's yet another group affected by the misguided decision to shutter PI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
The rumor that the Mannequins/8TRAX building will be turned into a Harley Davidson Cafe is still around. Not sure how to post a picture here but I've posted a photo of the one in Las Vegas on my website at: www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

BobK/Orlando
Hmm.. "classy".

I know it'll appeal to some, but its not my kind of thing.

RETURN THE ADVENTURERS CLUB!
Hathaway Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #373
jfinke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post

BobK/Orlando
Nice... lol...
Old 03-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #374
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Planet Hollywood only with different theming?
I am sure it would make many happy. Not a place either of us would care about. I think I would go to TRex first. And have no plans for that either.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #375
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Sources say:

One source told me yesterday that CM's were informed in a pre-shift meeting that additional entertainment is coming to PI (and to the Westside) but that none of the PI clubs were reopening.

Another source tells me today that Mannequins and 8TRAX are reopening very soon!

Both sources.......reliable.

Oh druthers!

BobK/Orlando

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: