Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #136
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Store fronts were remodeled and left empty for how long now? At least a year and half. I would have thought HAD there been anyone wanting to pay the rent, the empty stores would have been occupied months ago. There's been plenty of time for another company to come in and do as they wish. Instead the buildings have been left empty.
With today's economy, why would anyone think any business will go into them now? Too many are going out of business or closing stores as is.
As mentioned, so far anything announced is off PI.
I suspect a more high end Latin themed dinner and dance place MAY open. (Similar to chains currently available and not far from DTD.) But if anything innovative opens, I will indeed be very surprised.

"So apparently the clubs will just wither away until a tenant comes along?"

They won't wither away. They are gone. Kaput.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #137
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Roam View Post
"So apparently the clubs will just wither away until a tenant comes along?"

They won't wither away. They are gone. Kaput.
Right.. I should have said "the buildings that housed the clubs".

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #138
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Hard to say if they will salvage the buildings in part or just raze them. One manager commented the buildings no longer matched their theme. (Assuming that meant the upcoming shopping/dining family experence theme.)
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #139
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

The Central/South American restaurant is the ONLY thing announced so far for PI and it will have a night club element to it. My educated guess is that it's going into the rear of the building that was renovated 2 years ago and has sat empty ever since. That will leave 3-4 store fronts facing the sidewalk to house stores or something else. I think we'll see movement on the restaurant rather quickly now. Trying to adapt any of the other buildings for other uses is a HUGE and expensive undertaking. They're large, they're multi-story, they're not well-suited for restaurants or shops as they now stand.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #140
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

well according to my friend down there, they have purchased that expensive black stuff to put over the windows so it doesn't appear the clubs are going anywhere for a while.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #141
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

A CM let slip the AdvClub (and possibly others) are booked for corporate parties Super Bowl week, so no changes before February at the absolute earliest.

At this point, who wants to be the first store owner to move in there? I can't imagine the owner of Curl has too much good to say about his Disney landlords right now. Even the Samba Room knock-off, would they really want to open right now only to be surrounded by empty buildings. I'm thinking PI will be the new Oddysey--a high profile location only used for the occasional special event or bathroom stop.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #142
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Well I guess theoretically anyone business person could rent the AC building, work a legal agreement with Disney to use the entire AC show, and actually re-open the AC...

If Disney wouldn't license the AC show, wouldn't that be a hint it's coming back in the future?

I realize the above has no chance of actually happening.. I'm just tossing it out there..

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #143
zulemara

I'm tryin to save the cool ya know...40 million to buy Mannequins

Old 10-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #144
zulemara

hot off the presses - word that they have already sold mannequins, 8-trax, AC, and BET. No word on motion or CW. I'm working diligently to find the source and find out if the clubs would remain the same

edit: this apparently came from a club manager. More details to follow

edit2: Security has locked the clubs and no one is allowed to go in them because they have been sold.
edit3: RRNBC is likely going to be torn down

Old 10-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #145
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

RRBC needs $millions in renovations so it was a given that it must come down. Plus the space overlooking the lake is valuable.

As to the purchase of the clubs, PLEASE UPDATE ASAP!!!!!

BobK/Orlando
Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #146
zulemara

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
RRBC needs $millions in renovations so it was a given that it must come down. Plus the space overlooking the lake is valuable.

As to the purchase of the clubs, PLEASE UPDATE ASAP!!!!!

BobK/Orlando
trust me, the minute I have more info leaked I'll post it! At this point, the source said he did not know if the clubs will remain the same, which I consider to be a positive piece of information. No news is good news, but the specifics of his information makes me think this might be more than just another rumor.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #147
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

There's a private event at the AC tonight and as of yesterday the people involved had not been told anything about it needing to be relocated. Plus, some of the artifacts inside the Club are supposedly owned by one of the imagineers and are to go back to him when everything is removed from the building.

Also, even though Disney has started selling more of their property lately, I didn't think they were going to sell any of DTD. Everything else I've heard has them leasing out space, not selling it.

As much as I would love to hear that the locations/concepts are being leased to an outside party and will return to operation, I would find it shocking if they were actually sold. Not that I am doubting you or your source! I just doubt that part of the info.

I'm also very anxious to hear any updates! Thanks for sharing what you've heard so far.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #148
DisneyHumbug
DIS Veteran

Just curious, did they usually close the AC on a Saturday night for a private party? Or when they booked this event, did Disney know it would already be closed?

DVC 01
DisneyHumbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #149
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyHumbug View Post
Just curious, did they usually close the AC on a Saturday night for a private party? Or when they booked this event, did Disney know it would already be closed?
While the AC was still open there were lots of private events there. They had the events in the early evening and opened the AC late on those nights. I don't remember any times when the AC didn't open at all because of an event but there were usually several late openings each month.

I think that all of the remaining events (including tonight) were booked before the closure was announced. We tried to book one after the closing was announced and were unable to do so.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #150
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

I've posted before and after photos of the sign changes over at my blog:

www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

I'm also wondering about the supposed "sale" of the buildings versus "lease". Makes more sense that they've leased the buildings out. And that's a good sign to me because if true, they would not be torn down but merely renovated and re-used. For most of those buildings, they were built as night clubs and it would be very expensive to try to convert to some other use.

BobK/Orlando

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: