Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
goltedl
Mouseketeer

Disneyland Crowds the week after Christmas?

How are the crowds the week after Christmas? This would include New Years Eve and Day.
goltedl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltedl View Post
How are the crowds the week after Christmas? This would include New Years Eve and Day.
Honestly? The crowds are horrible! I don't mean to be the voice of doom - and, if my plan goes the way I hope it will, I, too, will be there right after Christmas and a few days before New Years, but I know it will be ridiculously busy. First, of all, December is a busy month anyway, especially the second half of it. It is actually the busiest time of the year, between those two holidays. I was there right before Christmas last year and it was pretty crowded but barely tolerable. However, one time I was there for New Years Eve and the crowds were SO thick that it was scary. Like you couldn't move in some spots because there were wall to wall people. The weekdays might be slightly better than weekends and New Year's Eve. If this is your only chance to go and see DLR during the holidays, then I would say go, because you should not miss a holiday Disney trip. But it will be bad, especially closer to New Year's. The only thing that might drive down the attendance levels this year is the bad economy and the high gas prices!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 08-20-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
tlovesdis
Disneyland Obsessed!!!
My room has a Mickey theme!

According to everything I have ever read, the week between Christmas and NY's is THE busiest week of the whole year for Disneyland!

My cousins have been on NYE and NYD and they said they would never do it again!

Two trips in the making...

August 1-4, 2014

December 6-9, 2014 (Birthday trip)
tlovesdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
oldenewguy
Mouseketeer

That is the only time of the year where I wouldn't go even if my ticket was paid for. I made the mistake of going for my birthday last year (12/29) and it was awful. We got on five rides and couldn't even walk half the time.

ME DW
oldenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
msteddom
We always wait in line in California, just like we sit in traffic

Sorry to pile on, but they are horrible!

Melissa
Aug. 1986- Off Site, Feb. 1992- Off Site, Nov. 2000- Off Site, Aug. 2003 POR, April 2004- POFQ, Aug. 2004- YC, Feb. 2005- POFQ, Aug. 2005- BWV,Jan. 2006 BCV,Aug. 2006 POP, Dec. 2006 POR, Aug 2007-YC, Dec. 2007- BWV, Aug. 2008 4 night Wonder Double Dip, Jan. 2009- BWV, Aug. 2009 BWV/Dolphin, Jan. 2010 BLT/BWV, Aug. 2010 WL/BWV, Aug. 2011 5 night Dream/ WLV, Jul. 2012 POR/BVV, June 2013 BWV/Fantasy Eastern/YC
msteddom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
BillyFan
My white-trashiest chefy moment ever
I, for one have had a Billy Hill Buzz more once
And thanks so much for warming up the boyfriend for us

My B-day is 12/30, and I never go on the actual day because it is just too crowded!

BillyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
DangerMouse
Dangerously Addicted to Disneyland
I guess they saw me coming at full throttle and decided I meant business
I'm in a bit of an evil mood today

Nope, couldn't pay me to go during that time either.

DLR trips: 3/98 (Stovalls); 12/99 (Islander); 12/02 (DI); 12/03 (DI); 12/04 (Portofino); 4/05 (HoJo); 6/05 (GCH); 9/05 (HoJo); 12/05 (HoJo); 2/06 (DLH); 1/07 (HoJo); 11/07 (HoJo); 2/08 (HoJo); 4/08 (HoJo); 6/08 (Ramada Ltd.); 10/08 (PPH); 3/09 (HoJo & Club 33 Baybee!); 2/10 (HoJo); 12/11 (HoJo/DLH)
WDW Trips: 4/11 (SSR Villas) 1/13 (POR)
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Ride Junkie
Just skulking around...
I love any activity that requires a helmet

How about right after New Year's (January 1-2)? I've never been that time of year, but I've always wondered about the post-holiday crowds. TIA!
Ride Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
goltedl
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info. It looks like we will be staying at the Grand Californian Hotel checking in Dec 16th thur 21. I hope the crowds will not be to bad.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. It looks like we will be staying at the Grand Californian Hotel checking in Dec 16th thur 21. I hope the crowds will not be to bad.
You know what? December is a more crowded month anyway, but BEFORE Christmas is definitely better than AFTER in terms of attendance. You made the right choice. Last year, we were there the weekend right before the holiday and it was busy, but not scary. This year, if my plan stays as is, I will be there the very day after Christmas and until the 29th (not really my choice), and if it is anything like I think it might be based on my New Year's experience back in 2000, I expect to be spending a lot of time in the hotel!!! (I also have the GCH in mind but we will see.)

If you have not stayed at GCH before, you will love it. It is beautiful, especially around Christmas!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
goltedl
Mouseketeer

This is our first time to be at Disneyland. We were told that there was still plenty of rooms at the resort...not sure if that is a sign that the economy will be effecting attendance?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
This is our first time to be at Disneyland. We were told that there was still plenty of rooms at the resort...not sure if that is a sign that the economy will be effecting attendance?
Oooh...you are picking a great time of year to go for your first DLR trip just because it is extra magical during the holidays - we will all agree - aside from the massive crowds! It is so special at that time. And, as I said before, you couldn't have picked a better hotel for the holidays. Wait until you see the enormous lobby of the GCH, with it's comfy chairs and beautiful Christmas tree and great atmosphere.

Anyway, I think many people tend to not start booking for the holidays until September. A lot of the AP holders might book before then because they get special room rates with the AP, and those go quickly. The general public, I think, waits to make their December plans in mid to late September. And the ones who do go in December often try to do it early in the month, so the time you are going might not be filled up as fast. But, yes, I think the TERRIBLE economy (and I am a victim of it myself) and high gas prices will drive down crowds a bit. Summer was already lower in attendance at DLR than it usually is. Quite frankly, nobody can afford it this year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: