Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Biscuitsmom31
Burn a candle to deal with the smell!
Oh yeah? Well, I'm DATING Insert Name
Doesnít want to talk about uncle Fred's walnut tree

How long after death for funeral?

What length of time is customary to have a funeral after someone dies? Someone I work with died this weekend and her husband is planning the funeral for three weeks from now. That seems like a long time out to me.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

I think it really varies. My neighbor's father died in late July and the funeral was last weekend. I think it took a lot of time to get everyone together (some were from overseas).

Denae

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

It depends. Around here some people have a funeral before the notice is even in the paper while others can be a week to 10 days. It is normally longer depending on if family has to travel in from other areas.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

It totally depends. Three weeks after however is not usual but there must be reasons. If the body is being moved or family is out of country or state and sometimes autopsy could all delay the funeral.

Last edited by JessicaR; 08-19-2008 at 12:03 PM.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

I think with so many people not living close to their relatives anymore, it's actually better to wait and plan. However, traditionally it's within a few days. Depending on culture, etc. it may even be the next day.

My friends and family are all over the country. If something happened to me, I'd hope they'd put off my funeral for at least 3 weeks. I wouldn't want them all paying last minute airfares just to see me plotted in the ground. Rather they save some money and all be able to celebrate my life together without the added financial pressure. It certainly wouldn't bother me to be in a cooler or urn for a few weeks at that point.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
raysnkaysmom
I don't think I'd mention I was in jail in an interview
I just hope my 4000th post doesn't say something stupid

Alot depends on open casket or not too. I have a friend who is a mortician, and she said alot of times African Americans can wait out longer because their skin doesn't turn the grey color a caucasians skin does as soon.
I think....for the 'closure' for a family it should be done no longer than 5 days tops... 3 is good. But..I do understand wanting to get family together too... I guess it just depends on the type of 'ceremony' you have...
October 2010 DTD/Dolphin Honeymoon Getaway
November 2012~ DD 17th birthday visit to MK ~
June 2014 ~ DD Graduation Trip, 3 parks in one day!!
raysnkaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Did the deceased donate their body to science or something? I don't know how long a facility uses a body for before returning the ashes to the family. Perhaps they are waiting on that.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Did the deceased donate their body to science or something? I don't know how long a facility uses a body for before returning the ashes to the family. Perhaps they are waiting on that.

For me the ashes were returned with in 45 days after they took him for science. It might vary from donor people to donor people... not sure. Maybe the family is waiting on insurance money? I've seen some people on here mention that funeral homes wont do it with out being paid up front now

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Michelle67
I guess I shouldn't wonder why my kids think I'm crazy
I guaran-darn-tee ya!
I don't do innards

Unless the person has been cremated, the usual time period that I have experienced is 3-5 days.
Michelle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Is it an actual funeral where the deceased's body in the casket is going to be present or is it a memorial service?

If it's a memorial service, it can pretty much be whenever you want. If you want to be able to view the body, 3 weeks seems like a bit long of a time to wait.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
tinatark
DIS Veteran

White people's funerals are typically 3 days after death, unless that 3rd day would be on a Sunday, then they'd move it to Sat/Mon instead.

Black families usually have more time - 5-7 days or more, I guess because of the reasons listed above, and maybe it's cultural.

The big thing here is to have a viewing from, say 5-7 pm, then the "funeral" immediately after viewing hours are done, then the burial the next day. I've always seen viewing/calling hours at the funeral home one day, then the funeral the next, with the burial immediately following the funeral. It saves the funeral home staff hours - one day of lots of guests opposed to two. Quite a few funerals here are also at the chapel of the funeral home, as opposed to being at the church the deceased belonged to.

Last edited by tinatark; 08-19-2008 at 01:52 PM.
tinatark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
How can you not look? They're frickin' hilarious.

Now this is a question I can answer! (sort of) I conduct funerals, memorial services and commitals on a regular basis. There is no standard for when there is a funeral.

There is no right or wrong way to celebrate a life. Memorial services will sometimes be months after the death. The same can be true for a funeral but it's not a frequent occurance because it costs more to store a body.

It has absolutely nothing to do with what race you are, as a PP suggested. Factors that play into these decisions include cultural, familial and religious traditions as well as the direct wishes of the deceased. It also can be an issue of logistics, if family needs time to get everywhere there or extra time to prepare the liturgy itself.

So, in short, no it is not unusual that a funeral or memorial service would be three weeks after the fact.

August/September 2007 - All-Star Sports January 2009 - Pop Century February 2010 - Pop Century
Mr. & Mrs. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
Todd&Copper
Sweet Chicken, that is one that ALWAYS gets my goat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatark View Post
White people's funerals are typically 3 days after death, unless that 3rd day would be on a Sunday, then they'd move it to Sat/Mon instead.
Black families usually have more time - 5-7 days or more, I guess because of the reasons listed above.

The big thing here is to have a viewing from, say 5-7 pm, then the "funeral" immediately after viewing hours are done, then the burial the next day. I've always seen viewing/calling hours at the funeral home one day, then the funeral the next, with the burial immediately following the funeral. It saves the funeral home staff hours - one day of lots of guests opposed to two. Quite a few funerals here are also at the chapel of the funeral home, as opposed to being at the church the deceased belonged to.
Well, I have been to three funerals for white people recently, and none of them were within three days of their deaths.

One was the widow of a 3-star general who is buried at West Point. It was about 3 - 4 weeks between her death and the funeral. She had been living in Virginia at the time of her death. This was closed casket.

The second was a week and a half between death and funeral. Both death and funeral were in MD. And yes, this was open casket.

The third was 1.5 - 2 weeks between death and funeral. The body had to be transported from FL to MD. This was also open casket.

I don't think there really is a hard and fast rule unless there is a relgigious rule or reason for a fast turnaround between death and burial.
Todd&Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Wow! Open caskets almost 2 weeks after death!!!! Did the bodies look OK? I remember back in the day when there used to be 2 days wakes and by the end of day 2, the body was looking a little...mushy or something. And these people who had been embalmed.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
How can you not look? They're frickin' hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Wow! Open caskets almost 2 weeks after death!!!! Did the bodies look OK? I remember back in the day when there used to be 2 days wakes and by the end of day 2, the body was looking a little...mushy or something. And these people who had been embalmed.
They have made a lot of strides in preservation. It is not the norm to wait that long to have an open casket funeral but it does happen. Most funerals I conduct are close casket, as that has been the custom of our denomination.

August/September 2007 - All-Star Sports January 2009 - Pop Century February 2010 - Pop Century
Mr. & Mrs. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: