Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #31
Spartangirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post

Hey Lynne! Glad you found me! Your California trip report was the one that really got me excited about our trip! I hope you can enjoy mine half as much as I enjoyed yours!
AWWWW, thanks! I'm glad I helped in getting you excited for your trip!

AND....I'm loving your TR so far......can't wait for more!

Glad you all enjoyed Alcatraz! Wasn't the audio tour great? DH and I thought it was one of the best that we've done!
Spartangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #32
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartangirl View Post
Glad you all enjoyed Alcatraz! Wasn't the audio tour great? DH and I thought it was one of the best that we've done!
It was really good, I almost didn't pay for the audio tour for the boys because I was afraid that it wouldn't interest them - I'm so glad I did!

btw, How was Hawaii? I like that new picture of you and your DH in your siggy, you look so tan and happy!
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #33
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Day 2 continued

Once we returned from our tour we were all really hungry, so we went to Johnny Rockets for lunch. I know this is a chain, but we don't have them here so I was looking forward to trying it. We all had burgers and milkshakes, and it was really good.

After lunch we walked across the street to Boudin's Bakery and decided to take the little self guided tour that they offer.

Isn't this bread cute! I was amazed at all the different stuff they could make out of bread!

The tour was interesting, and they had some hands on things for the boys to do, which they enjoyed. But, mostly they liked watching them make the bread. Looking at all the huge equipment and seeing how it works was actually quite fun. AND, there is a tasting room at the end of the tour. I was still full from lunch, but after being in there smelling all that fresh made bread, I couldn't help myself and had to have a couple of samples!

After our tour there we decided to head in the opposite direction of Pier 39 and see what was at that end. It was much less crowded, and you didn't have all the street performers at that end either. Our first stop was at the Maritime Museum. We didn't pay to go onto the boats, but they were fun to look at anyway. DS12 had to stop and get his picture taken with the pirates (ahhhh, a boy after his mother's heart , ) Of course, these pirates aren't nearly as attractive as a couple of other pirates I know of!

Here's one of DH at the Maritime Museum

And one that DS took of the both of us. (Don't mind my hair - it was incredibly windy!

Here is one more of Alcatraz from the end of the dock at the Museum

And, one looking the other way

We continued our walk, and as we passed a beach like area (really it was just a small section of sand) DS decided that he wanted to go see how cold the water was. He was a bit tentative, and when he finally did feel it, he said it was REALLY cold!

We kept walking towards the Golden Gate Bridge, hoping that we would be able to get a better view of it. We actually found an area that would have been a nice spot, but that darn fog just wouldn't go away.

DH took this one of me and the boys, again, please ignore the windblown look

Here is DS12, whenever he sees one of these short blockade poles, he thinks that it is there for him jump.

We decided to head back to our hotel for a break, and I needed to get on the computer and make some hotel reservations for the next night and get some sort of idea what we might do. On the way back though, we passed Ghiradelli Square - ummmmm, you can't pass Ghiradelli and not get ice cream can you? No, you can't! The kids and I headed into the ice cream parlor, I had a dark fudge brownie sundae, mmmmmm - it was so good! The kids each had waffle cones, but for the life of me I can't remember what kind of ice cream they had. I know it was good though, because they ate every last crumb! While we were having our ice cream, DH went next door to Cellar360 and did a wine tasting. I'm not a wine drinker so I didn't mind him going without me at all.

One last stop one our way back to the hotel, we had to have a picture with a trolly car!

With hotel ressies and tentative plans made for the next couple of days, and after a short nap, we headed out to find someplace to eat for dinner. Again, we avoided Pier 39 and went in the opposite direction. We ended up choosing a place called Cioppinos. It was GREAT! DH had a seafood stew that he said was incredible, DS7 had butter noodles (his favorite - I swear the child is a carboholic, he could eat pasta and bread everyday and be in heaven - I seriously think he needs a 12 step program! ) and DS12 and I had a linguine and crab dish that was also really good. If anyone is heading to the Fisherman's Wharf area in SF, I would definately recommend this restaurant!

Here's a couple of pictures we took at the end of our meal.

After dinner we walked around a little more, bought a couple of souvenirs, and then headed back to the hotel to organize all of our stuff and get ready to leave in the morning.

Up next: Day 3, We're Headed to Monterey!

Last edited by SoonerGirl; 08-22-2008 at 06:38 PM.
SoonerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #34
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

Sorry you didn't love San Francisco like I do! I know it's not everybodys cup of tea. My dad lives in Sacramento so I like to make a trip to San Fran when I go to see him.

Did you check out the penny arcade? My DD had so much fun in there the last time we went.

Your pictures are wonderful, hope you had a great time in monterey.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #35
MyGoofy26
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DH took this one of me and the boys, again, please ignore the windblown look

Oh my! It looks like he is actually looking at the camera! Must've been a fluke - caught him before he could look away

Great pics! Loving the report so far!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #36
Spartangirl
DIS Veteran

Great report so far!!!

So sorry that you had to cancel Yosemite, but like you said, it does give you a reason to go back!!! Hope you had a good time in Monterey.....I'm excited to hear about it!

Quote:
btw, How was Hawaii? I like that new picture of you and your DH in your siggy, you look so tan and happy!
Chris and I LOVED Hawaii (Thanks for asking!)!!! It really was hard to come home after 2 wonderful weeks of sunshine and 80 degree weather EVERY DAY! Thanks for the compliment about my pic! I really like the new one you have of your family too! It's a great shot!
Spartangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #37
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
Sorry you didn't love San Francisco like I do! I know it's not everybodys cup of tea. My dad lives in Sacramento so I like to make a trip to San Fran when I go to see him.

Did you check out the penny arcade? My DD had so much fun in there the last time we went.

Your pictures are wonderful, hope you had a great time in monterey.
I hope I didn't make it sound like we hated SF, we enjoyed it and I'm glad we went, it was just different than what I expected and I think that skewed my opinion somewhat.

We didn't go into the penny arcade. I'm not sure if I even remember seeing it, I'm sure I did, it just didn't register. That is probably something the boys would have liked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoofy26 View Post
Oh my! It looks like he is actually looking at the camera! Must've been a fluke - caught him before he could look away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartangirl View Post
Chris and I LOVED Hawaii (Thanks for asking!)!!! It really was hard to come home after 2 wonderful weeks of sunshine and 80 degree weather EVERY DAY!
I love Hawaii. We haven't been in a few years, and I was just thinking today that it is time to go back! You just can't beat it - it truly is paradise!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #38
pperfectmom
Has the sense of direction of a manatee
What's a chachi?

I'm loving all the pictures but now I'm jonesing for a California trip. I want to go to that restaurant you found AND do the wine tasting. I'm afraid I'm with your DH in that even though I adore ice cream, I would have chosen wine as well.

pperfectmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #39
MrsTomMorrow
DIS Veteran

Michelle-I am loving the report and pics! Keep it coming!!

MrsTomMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #40
heatherleigh
DIS Veteran

I finally read the last installment today. Someone posted a link to Alcatraz yesterday, so I was on there the whole day, reading up on it!! I can't wait to hear more.
AK Trip Report 6/10: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2501164
heatherleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #41
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

What a great report. I'm enjoying reading it, and love that you included pics.

I took my kids on a weekend trip to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and they both have been wanting to go back.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on California Street (think that's the name) at the end of one of the cable car lines. My son made me walk from Pier 39 UP the hill all the way back to the hotel. (He didn't want to ride the cable car & kept telling me that I would feel SUCH a sense of accomplishment, lol. My legs were so wobbly from all that walking that when we stepped off a big curb near the hotel I fell flat on my face in the street

I'm glad we walked back, though. You get a different perspective when you walk instead of driving/riding in the cable car.

Sorry, went a little OT here. Back to your report.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #42
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pperfectmom View Post
I'm loving all the pictures but now I'm jonesing for a California trip. I want to go to that restaurant you found AND do the wine tasting. I'm afraid I'm with your DH in that even though I adore ice cream, I would have chosen wine as well.
Sorry I'm making you wish for a California trip! Just wait, I'm just getting started, you'll be checking airfare and hotel prices before you know it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTomMorrow View Post
Michelle-I am loving the report and pics! Keep it coming!!
Thanks Alicia, all 3 of my boys will be out of the house for awhile tonight so I'm hoping to get day 3 done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
What a great report. I'm enjoying reading it, and love that you included pics.

I took my kids on a weekend trip to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and they both have been wanting to go back.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on California Street (think that's the name) at the end of one of the cable car lines. My son made me walk from Pier 39 UP the hill all the way back to the hotel. (He didn't want to ride the cable car & kept telling me that I would feel SUCH a sense of accomplishment, lol. My legs were so wobbly from all that walking that when we stepped off a big curb near the hotel I fell flat on my face in the street

I'm glad we walked back, though. You get a different perspective when you walk instead of driving/riding in the cable car.

Sorry, went a little OT here. Back to your report.
We walked everywhere, no cable car rides at all - which we really should have done, just to say we had! But fortunately we were only a couple of blocks from the wharf and never had to tackle the really steep hills (or are they small mountains, I'm not sure?! ). I'm so sorry that you fell, I hope you weren't hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherleigh View Post
I finally read the last installment today. Someone posted a link to Alcatraz yesterday, so I was on there the whole day, reading up on it!! I can't wait to hear more.
Now you're all ready for a trip to see it for yourself!

If all goes as planned, I'll have day 3 up later tonight.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #43
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Day 3, Friday August 1st

I was awake early again today - darn time change! So, I got up and got into the shower, which of course woke everyone else up too. We all decided that we wanted a hot breakfast that morning, and weren't willing to pay the $24.99/person that the hotel was asking for it, so we walked a couple of blocks to Denny's. After breakfast DH went to get our rental car and the boys and I headed back to the hotel to pack up our last few things and haul all of our stuff downstairs to wait for DH. The rental car place was pretty busy, so it took a little while to get the car, but we were still on the road by about 9:30 or so. The drive to Monterey was just a little over an hour and a half. Thankfully the hotel had a room ready for us that early. We stayed at a LaQuinta, which wouldn't typically be my first choice, but we didn't have a lot of options making a last minute reservation, and it was relatively new and very clean.

When we checked in I grabbed a few brochures and a map from the lobby and headed up to the room to plan the rest of the day. First thing we decided to do was the 17 mile drive. **WARNING: Picture overload about to occur** This was a beautiful drive, and I took a ton of pictures! I did my best to narrow it down, but there are still quite a few. Our first stop on the drive was at Spanish Bay.

The boys had fun playing near the water - again, the water was really cold!

And some more as we continued down the coastline

This little guy was so cute and friendly! It was obvious that he was used to people because he came right up to you, wasn't afraid at all. I'm sure people probably feed them all the time and that's what he was looking for.

This area is called bird rock, I'm sure you can tell why

But, what else is all over the rock? I had to zoom in with my camera to be certain, but sure enough, it was loaded with seals!

Continuing on, for you golf fans - this a picture of The Lone Cypress, it's the symbol of Pebble Beach Golf Co.

And, a little bit wider view

A lady was nice enough to offer take a family picture for us

The 17 Mile Drive ended at Pebble Beach Golf Course. Here is the 18th hole, as close as we could get without paying an insane amount of money for green fees!

*I'm over the limit on pictures (I told you there was alot! ) so I'll have to continue on the next post......
Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #44
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Day 3 continued

I did a little shopping in the pro shop. DH got a Pebble Beach hat and the boys each got a souvenir golf ball, and I collect spoons, so I got a spoon. After that, we decided to continue down Highway 1 towards Big Sur. We drove through a little bit of Carmel by the Sea getting back to the Highway, it is such a cute area! I would love to go back and spend some time here some day.

Here are some more coastal pictures, the photos really don't do this area justice, it's just breathtakingly beautiful!

We hadn't eaten anything since breakfast and it was now about 3:30 in the afternoon and my children were dying from starvation! So, we stopped at a place along the highway for lunch. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but I had the best chicken sandwich of my life there! Here was our view during our meal:

After our late lunch/early dinner we decided to go for a hike in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. They had recently had some pretty serious wild fires in the area, so parts of the park were still closed, and our choice of doable hikes was relatively small. We decided to do the Valley Overlook Trail. Good grief, I knew I was out of shape, but the hike kicked my butt! It was much longer than I had anticipated, but it was fun, and the kids loved it. Here are a few pictures along the trail.

Tree huggers

And, the Valley Overlook - when we FINALLY reached the top!

I stopped on the way back down and took this photo, just to show the effects of the wildfires

After our HIKE we stopped at the lodge and I looked around the gift shop while the boys had ice cream. Then we headed back to Monterey. We arrived back about 8:00 and after going up to the room decided that it was too early to just sit there, so we went to a Chili's that was down the street and had a drink and some appetizers and watched a baseball game on tv.

It was a great day!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #45
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

Great update and beautiful pictures!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: