Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
MadiMouse
Member of the 2011 WDW Moms Panel

Question Huntington Beach vs. Newport Beach

I will be at DLR Sept 6-12 with my DH and DD (20 months) and we plan to do a beach day. Which is the best Beach and why? We are staying at HoJo's and we will have a rental car.

Thanks!

2011 - 2012 Walt Disney World Moms Panel

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.
MadiMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
audrabolster
You didn't hear about the polar bear?
when I was born I had a big scab on it

I personally like huntington beach. Every time I try to go to newport beach it is insanely crowded and parking is hard to come by.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
MadiMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrabolster View Post
I personally like huntington beach. Every time I try to go to newport beach it is insanely crowded and parking is hard to come by.
Thanks. Is it easy to get to as far as directions from the DLR area?

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

definitely HB!

I have a little personal bias because I grew up in HB, but I also think Huntington is more accessible than Newport Beach. There are almost no buildings on the sand side of Pacific Coast Highway, so there's no trekking through neighborhoods or private alleys to get to the beach.
I believe parking is up to $10 last I heard; harder to find the closer you get to the pier and downtown.
I would get on the 5 freeway south and then the 55 South. When the 55 runs out, continue on the street it becomes (Newport Blvd.) until it dumps you on Pacific Coast Highway. Then turn right (north) to go to Huntington Beach (or left for Newport).
If you are nervous about the freeways, just head west on Katella until you hit Magnolia and drive straight south.
Unless you want to be downtown near the pier and the buzz down there, any of the state-beach entrances (at the first few stoplights heading north on PCH) have all the sand and surf you will need!
If you Google-map it, reset the route to go down the 5, otherwise it takes you kind of a strange route, IMO.

PHXscuba
"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?"
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Potterswife
Mouseketeer

Another vote here for Huntington beach, we just got back a few weeks ago and we were so impressed. The beach was clean and huge. The sand was soft and the water was warm. Parking wasn't too bad, we were there on a Saturday, we paid about $3 for a few hours, but it was so worth it. You park right near the beach, no walking through neighborhoods. Great place to people watch and see some surfers. They have a website I think, surfcity.com. Have fun
Potterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
MadiMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
I have a little personal bias because I grew up in HB, but I also think Huntington is more accessible than Newport Beach. There are almost no buildings on the sand side of Pacific Coast Highway, so there's no trekking through neighborhoods or private alleys to get to the beach.
I believe parking is up to $10 last I heard; harder to find the closer you get to the pier and downtown.
I would get on the 5 freeway south and then the 55 South. When the 55 runs out, continue on the street it becomes (Newport Blvd.) until it dumps you on Pacific Coast Highway. Then turn right (north) to go to Huntington Beach (or left for Newport).
If you are nervous about the freeways, just head west on Katella until you hit Magnolia and drive straight south.
Unless you want to be downtown near the pier and the buzz down there, any of the state-beach entrances (at the first few stoplights heading north on PCH) have all the sand and surf you will need!
If you Google-map it, reset the route to go down the 5, otherwise it takes you kind of a strange route, IMO.

PHXscuba
"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?"
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potterswife View Post
Another vote here for Huntington beach, we just got back a few weeks ago and we were so impressed. The beach was clean and huge. The sand was soft and the water was warm. Parking wasn't too bad, we were there on a Saturday, we paid about $3 for a few hours, but it was so worth it. You park right near the beach, no walking through neighborhoods. Great place to people watch and see some surfers. They have a website I think, surfcity.com. Have fun
Thanks!!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
audrabolster
You didn't hear about the polar bear?
when I was born I had a big scab on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMouse View Post
Thanks. Is it easy to get to as far as directions from the DLR area?
Not too bad at all really. I take Harbor Blvd to Adams and then turn right. Turn left at Beach Blvd and then you're there! It's quite easy even without the freeways!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
MadiMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrabolster View Post
Not too bad at all really. I take Harbor Blvd to Adams and then turn right. Turn left at Beach Blvd and then you're there! It's quite easy even without the freeways!

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
Canyon girl
Disney Homeschool Mom

My vote is for Huntington, too. While you are there, walk out to the end of the pier and have lunch (or dinner) at Ruby's. It is a beautiful view and great food! Have fun!!!

Give me a Dole Whip and a Churro, and I'm a happy camper!

My Little Corner of the Internet

DLR - NYE 1990/1991, WDW - 1991/1992, WDW - 1996, DLR DLH CL - Sept. 2007, DLR GCH - Oct. 2008, DLR DLH - Feb. 2009, WDW CR Tower - Nov/Dec 2009, DLR HOJOs/GCH - Nov. 2010 for 15th Anniversary!!! DLR PPH - Feb 2011 Mom & Kids Trip May 2011 - Star Tours Preview Event DLR PPH - Sept. 2011
Canyon girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Another vote for Huntington. The beach is beautiful and their downtown district is right there. I certainly don't find the water warm, though!!!
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.

Corona del Mar State Beach beats both Huntington and Newport.

Head south on the 5 to the 55 and when you reach Coast highway, turn left and drive through Newport Beach. When you reach Marguerite Ave, make a right. Drive a few blocks to Ocean Ave, make a right and the parking lot for the beach is on your left. There 's a beach, a jetty and a great little cove on the right side on the bay you can reach by climbing over the rock formation called China Cove.

There's also a Ruby's cafe on the way (Coast Highway at Avocado Ave - a few blocks before Marguerite) great for lunch or dinner.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
MadiMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon girl View Post
My vote is for Huntington, too. While you are there, walk out to the end of the pier and have lunch (or dinner) at Ruby's. It is a beautiful view and great food! Have fun!!!
Thanks! I am so excited. I love to eat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Another vote for Huntington. The beach is beautiful and their downtown district is right there. I certainly don't find the water warm, though!!!
I cannot wait to go now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPirateShopGirl View Post
Corona del Mar State Beach beats both Huntington and Newport.

Head south on the 5 to the 55 and when you reach Coast highway, turn left and drive through Newport Beach. When you reach Marguerite Ave, make a right. Drive a few blocks to Ocean Ave, make a right and the parking lot for the beach is on your left. There 's a beach, a jetty and a great little cove on the right side on the bay you can reach by climbing over the rock formation called China Cove.

There's also a Ruby's cafe on the way (Coast Highway at Avocado Ave - a few blocks before Marguerite) great for lunch or dinner.
Great information!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: