Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #46
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Day two, part 3

When I left off, Tink, Goofy and I were resting in the room while DH took Pooh on a walk to get him to sleep. I laid down with the two older kids, and an hour later DH had Pooh sound asleep enough to join us. I think I napped for about an hour and a half, which made a huge difference in how I felt! We checked the weather (looked good!), got the kids up and put on our Incredibles T-shirts.

DH worked for so long on these things. I will be the first to admit that I'd have sprung for the packs of iron-on letters instead of cutting each one out on my Cricut machine. I also wouldn't have added all the neat little touches, like the pictures of the pins that were being released for this set of MNSSHP dates. We each had a different one on our sleeve. Here's Tink's:

And Pooh's:

(The sock on his hand is to keep him from chewing on his bad thumb. We got lots of questions about it, but it was the easiest way to do it, since he was in the stroller and we weren't watching him every second. Looks just great in the pictures, doesn't it?? )

This is what they looked like on - this one was taken by the Photopass guy:

And this was the view from the back:

Everyone headed to the MK that night was bubbly and excited. It was a lot of fun. We talked with another family from one of the other All Stars. They ended up getting a call halfway there telling them that it was POURING down rain in the MK. Nothing happening where we were, though, so we were hopeful it would be another brief shower. We didn’t stop to put the rain gear on at the bus stop…but halfway to the bag check line it started to drizzle kinda hard. We got the kids’ rain coats out, but by the time we did, it had stopped again. I’m happy to say that it was the last time we had to get the rain gear out on our vacation!!!

Once inside the gates, we saw lots of these people:

We grabbed our treat bags and headed in. I couldn’t get over the line of CMs down Main Street, holding signs that said “Boo to You” and other things and just waving and having fun.

We got several comments on our costumes. We also stopped for the above mentioned photopass shot, and it turned out really well. You get a discount code for 40% off on the back of the MNSSHP photopass cards, so I think we’re going to go ahead and order it. The party hadn’t quite started yet (it was just before 6 when we arrived) so we headed over to Cosmic Ray’s for dinner. We’d never been here before, but DH and I were impressed. We’d have been even more impressed if the third line had been open, but it wasn’t. A salad sounded so good at that point, and they had a chicken Caesar. Anyway, we got another kids meal for the two older ones to split (again, they mainly ate the fries and grapes), I got a cheeseburger (made fresh, unlike the ones at the ASMo food court now) and DH got the ribs meal. I’d have liked to have come back on our last day, but we just didn’t make it. The kids sat and watched the Sammy the Alien Lounge Singer for a while, and posed for a shot or two.

(she's not used to the camera, is she???)
Then we realized that we could see a trick-or-treat stop from where we were. We ran out to ride Buzz once more (Goofy couldn’t get enough of it), and by then they made the announcement that the party was starting! We immediately hit the candy stop we’d seen earlier. The kids were very excited to see actual candy in their bags!

We then headed to Toon Town. The kids and DH rode this baby

while I scoped out the lines to see the characters (they were getting pretty long). Minnie was right there in her witch costume, but I was worried about waiting in her line and still getting a good spot for the 8:15 parade. So after the Barnstormer (another first for us, and a big hit), we headed over to the Mad Hatter trail on our way to Liberty Square. We got lots of candy, and saw lots of familiar faces.

(They were arguing about who was the real mad hatter, the guy dressed up for the party or the character. It was pretty funny.)

Lots of candy:

I REALLY wish I’d have known about the Adventureland trail that I read about on the DIS after we got home – the kids would have liked those characters better. At this point, Tink mentioned to me that her stomach wasn’t feeling well. I told her it was probably because she’d ridden the roller coaster right after eating. I wish I’d have been right about that one. We headed to a restroom really quick on our way through Tomorrowland, and I knew then that we might have a problem. But she said she felt better afterwards, so I hoped for the best and we headed back out.

We headed to Liberty Square after the Candy Trail to grab a spot for the parade. We ended up getting a pretty good one, but had to wait about 15 minutes or so for the parade to start.

At this point, Pooh was getting fussy and Tink kept whining that her stomach was upset. Then Goofy started getting freaked out by the mood music that they were piping in before the parade (the whole four-year-old-everything-is-scary thing). I sat on the ground next to him and tried to calm him while trying to get Pooh to nap on my lap (didn’t work). I was very glad when the parade started! DH got some good pics, and has the whole thing on video! Here are my favorites:

more on next post...

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #47
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

More "Boo to You" Parade pictures...

(Wendy and the lost boys)

(Captain Barbosa and...)

(the big guy himself!)

These guys were creepy, but cool - they used their shovels as part of their dance, and the shovels shot sparks when they were dragged against the pavement. Really cool in the dark!

DH thinks that it just didn't fit to see villains like the Wicked Queen from Snow White dancing funky dances. I thought it was fun.

CMs were walking around with this float, passing out more candy!

The end!

After the parade, Tink was in bad shape. It was pretty clear that her stomach was cramping up. After another long trip to the restroom, we met up with DH, Goofy and Pooh again. She seemed to feel better and wanted to stay for the fireworks, so we headed to Fantasyland for IASW – nice and tame, I figured. I stayed outside to nurse Pooh in a corner. By the time they came out, though, Tink was in tears again. We decided to go ahead and leave. I was bummed – no Villains show, no pics with characters in costume, and no Hallowishes! Goofy started to cry that he wasn’t going to get to see the fireworks, but Tink was curled up in a ball in Pooh’s stroller (he was out cold in my arms), so we high-tailed it to Main Street so we could get through the crowd at the hub before the fireworks started and all the lights went out. Let me tell you, pushing a fifty-pound seven-year-old in a stroller while holding a sleeping 15 pound infant in your arms through a crowd is no laughing matter!

We got to the very end of Main Street where the statue of Walt and Minnie is when the fireworks started. We turned around for a minute to give Goofy a glimpse of the fireworks, and it was just our luck that Tink’s cramps took a rest and she decided she wanted to stick it out and watch them. We had an unobstructed (if distant) view of all the neat things they did to the castle, and the kids could see everything from their strollers. DH got it on tape (have to love the new video camera!). And, when it was done, we had a clear shot to the buses, so we hauled. It turns out, we didn’t need to. We passed through the exits, got our Ghiradelli chocolate squares (yum!!) from the CMs as we passed (they gave us a bunch, since we were the only ones leaving), and waited for the hoards to hit at the bus. They never did. The bus was full, but we got on, and there would have been room for more people if we needed to put them on. But as it was, the kids got their own seats (both fell asleep) and we made it back in one piece. I was pretty bummed that I didn’t get the MNSSHP pins that I’d hoped for, but I wasn’t about to drag Tink through the shops in her state.

I would LOVE to hit this event when the kids are older. Of course, then it'd be impossible to take them out of school for a long period of time. But I feel like we didn’t get to do a lot of it, since we saw almost no characters. Though, if we went with the kids at that age, would they really want their pictures taken with the characters??? The atmosphere in the MK that night was so much fun. If we ever went again, I’d do several things differently. I’d skip the rides entirely and go hunt down the characters. I’d also do the later parade, especially if I had older kids (or no kids with us! DH and I would completely and totally get into this on our own…).

So, the next day was EMH at DHS – we were hoping to get there for rope drop. The worst of Tink's stomach problems seemed to be over, and we got the kids to bed (though much later than normal). After an evening like this, would we make it??? Stay tuned!

October 2012 Trip report

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #48
belle8306
DIS Veteran

The shirts look awesome!! We were both impressed! The party looks so cool! There is only one problem: now I am thinking about going! What do you think? Should we do it? Love the picture of tink in her sunglasses! I think the sock was a great idea. I was wondering how he was going to keep his thumb dry. Great update! (I get so excited when you have a new post!).
Old 09-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #49
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Ooooo! You have made me so excited about going! Thanks for sharing!
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Old 09-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #50
nts4wdw
DIS Veteran

I'm all caught up and all your pictures are so great! Thanks for the party pics! It looked like a blast.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #51
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Your shirts look fantastic!! I can't believe your DH made them!!! My DH would never Although, I wouldn' be suprised if he took a crack at the cricut. I got one about a month and a half ago and he thinks it's so cool!

I'm sorry tink got a tummyache! I hope it didn't hamper the rest of your trip!

We love MNSSHP! We went in 06 and had a great time! DH still talks about it!! We just decided the other day that we're going to go back in 2010 for the party!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #52
S'sMom
DIS Veteran

Hi just finished reading your TR. Your children are just gorgeous, and my ds will be 6 months when we make the trip for Christmas. Its funny you talk about the sock, my ds has that same sock on BOTH hands. ((lol)).

Those t-shirts are a wonderful touch! I cant wait to read more.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #53
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
The shirts look awesome!! We were both impressed! The party looks so cool! There is only one problem: now I am thinking about going! What do you think? Should we do it? Love the picture of tink in her sunglasses! I think the sock was a great idea. I was wondering how he was going to keep his thumb dry. Great update! (I get so excited when you have a new post!).
YES YOU SHOULD GO!!! I have a feeling DH could come up with a pretty cool shirt for you guys, too. Seriously - it's such a cool atmosphere. And seriously - concentrate on seeing the characters, the parade and the fireworks. You guys could even skip the first parade, hit shorter character lines, and wait for the second one (I have heard people talk about a second one, though I don't remember seeing anything posted while we were there - make sure they still have one this year! Maybe they only do the second parade closer to Halloween??) I have to go look up your pre-trippie - havent been there in a few days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
Ooooo! You have made me so excited about going! Thanks for sharing!
You'll have so much fun! I can't believe we were there this time last week. The funny thing is - Ike is currently raining down on us here, in Indiana! I worried about it hitting us on Tuesday when we were coming home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nts4wdw View Post
I'm all caught up and all your pictures are so great! Thanks for the party pics! It looked like a blast.
It really is. If you ever get a chance to go, I would do it. I know it's hard with school and all, but it's so much fun. Another use for those APs, right?? (I SOOO wish we lived close enough to make use of those!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Your shirts look fantastic!! I can't believe your DH made them!!! My DH would never Although, I wouldn' be suprised if he took a crack at the cricut. I got one about a month and a half ago and he thinks it's so cool!

I'm sorry tink got a tummyache! I hope it didn't hamper the rest of your trip!

We love MNSSHP! We went in 06 and had a great time! DH still talks about it!! We just decided the other day that we're going to go back in 2010 for the party!!!
We're probably going in 2010, but it's going to be in June. Thanks for the comments about the shirts - I read it to DH, and he just smiled. He was showing people pictures of them at mass this morning! Of course, he printed them off under the pretext of leting the kids show their Sunday school classes... The Cricut is just another toy for those big boys, isn't it? I do love mine for my scrapbooking, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S'sMom View Post
Hi just finished reading your TR. Your children are just gorgeous, and my ds will be 6 months when we make the trip for Christmas. Its funny you talk about the sock, my ds has that same sock on BOTH hands. ((lol)).

Those t-shirts are a wonderful touch! I cant wait to read more.
Thank you! I'm glad you're reading along with us. It was much easier than I thought it would be taking Pooh along. And it will be even easier for you, since your DS will be sitting up (or closer to it). They're very containable, and still don't mind taking naps in the stroller, although my time for that is limited, since he woke up sooo easily. My kids all were too nosy about what was going on around them to sleep for long in the stroller once they got to be about a year old.

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #54
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

How exciting, you got to go to Disney while you were home with the baby. I love the pre trip and trip report, can't wait to read the rest. Your kids are adorable.

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
Old 09-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #55
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Day 3

Ok, so the alarm hurt a bit this morning. (I can’t do the wake-up calls. Waking up to the sound of a phone makes me jump! I guess I could get one for the kids, and just make sure I’m already up, but I don’t think either of them would answer it out of a dead sleep!) After a long day, it had been really good to fall into bed, but not for long enough!. DH and I showered and dressed, and I nursed Pooh while the rest of them had breakfast in the room (Pop Tarts for the kids, cereal for DH and me). We were a little later getting out than I wanted, but we were lucky in the bus department. We actually made it to DHS for rope drop on an EMH morning!

Here’s a picture of the crowd (not really too bad) – and everyone around us was talking about how best to get to Toy Story Mania!

We joked and chatted with some of the others that were there. Someone wondered aloud about something (I have no idea what it was now), and I just spouted the answer off the top of my head. Several people around me stopped and stared. You know the look – the “Does she actually have a life?” look. I read some of these other trip reports about people that go to Mousefest and some of the other meet-ups, and I think that it’d be nice to not get “the look” when talking about WDW!! I was only trying to help, after all! The people whose question I answered thanked me; it was just people around them. This wouldn’t be the last time this happened…

When the music swelled and the rope dropped, we followed the hoards to Pixar Place. I had read about these crowds, but wondered what we’d experience, since crowd levels had been so good so far. I don’t think it was as bad as it was in the summer, but it was definitely a minor stampede. The three kids/two strollers issue came up again – we put Goofy in the umbrella stroller, since he’s perpetually in S-L-O-W-M-OT-I-O-M-N. Tink was not all that thrilled that we were taking more than a leisurely pace. Don’t get me wrong – I wasn’t dragging my kid behind me as I ran for the Fast Pass machines. But we weren’t strolling. I got to hear how unhappy she was about this the entire walk. Again, this is why I call her Tink – she definitely speaks her mind!

We got to the ride, and I immediately jumped in line for Fast Passes with our tickets, which I’d been holding onto since we cleared the gates. DH and the kids got in the stand-by line. I got in one line…the machine jammed. A cast member came over to look at it. I got in another line…that machine jammed as I was getting there. Finally, I was in the last line. The gentleman who was trying to get fast passes was putting his tickets in fairly rapidly – I think he had five of them. Good – I finally found a good line. Then, he realized that he still needed one more pass, and he had not been keeping track of which tickets he’d already fed through. This was a problem, as he had to now feed ALL of them back into the machines, getting the little reject tickets on the ones he’d already used, until he found it! In the meantime, DH had had to pull the kids out of line and go back to the end again (twice, I think - it was moving really fast!). I was a little more than frustrated – so was the lady between me and the man. He finally got his act together, and then the lady in front of me got her two, and then I finally did mine (making sure I kept track of which ones I’d already used). I joined DH and the kids in line, and we went in.

This really is a cool ride. DH got quite a kick out of the theming, as you can tell by these pictures…

We did take Pooh on this with us. I had read a thread that said infants were allowed, but that it was a little rough. That’s an accurate description. When the ride turns, it jerks you around a little bit. You can tell when it’s coming, though, because they count down the last five seconds or so at each gallery. I’d just stop pulling the string that you shoot with when they got close to saying, "one," and make sure I was bracing Pooh on either side. He was asleep in the queue, but woke up because I had to turn him to face the front. He watched everything with his little mouth hanging open, but didn’t like the 3-D effects of the air blowing at him, etc. DH actually missed the high score of the day on this trip through by only 3000 points! And Goofy was over the moon about this one.

He talked about it for the rest of the trip.

The outer area of the Toy Story ride is really neat, too.

This guy just wandered in, so the kids had their pictures taken with him!

There were other Toy Story characters there for meet and greets, as well, but we'd gotten Buzz and Woody's autographs two years in a row, so we decided against waiting in line this time.

We left TSM with our Fast Passes snugly in our pockets, so that we could come back and ride again. The return time was only about an hour away, but there were a few must-dos in this park for us. The older kids really wanted to see the revamped Playhouse Disney show, but it wasn’t an EMH ride. So we headed to the Muppet 3-D ride. I love this ride! Watching the Muppets was a weekly event for me when I was little. The kids really liked this one last trip, and it didn’t disappoint this time. I swear, Goofy will laugh uncontrollably at any kind of physical comedy. I always say I’m NEVER allowing him to see the Three Stooges, or I’ll be cursed with them forevermore afterwards! He loved Fozzie Bear, though! Really, a lot of what the Muppets do is physical comedy, so he pretty much laughed through the whole thing.

I have a bit of a funny story about this ride. DH had gotten up with Pooh, who needed the morning nap that had been interrupted at Toy Story Mania pretty badly. So it was just me with Tink and Goofy in our seats. The movie started, and I pulled my glasses from the top of my head to watch the 3-D effects. I was very disappointed to see that the movie looked out-of-focus. I was pretty sure we were the first group to go through that day, so I figured they just needed to adjust it. Five minutes into the show, they still hadn’t focused it and I was getting a little peeved. Why couldn’t they fix it – or at least stop it? It was a little hard to focus on this way. Then I noticed Goofy reaching out for one of the effects. Well, that didn’t make sense. If they were working fo him, why not me? Then I looked down – and saw my 3-D glasses on my knee. I was wearing my sunglasses!! I guess I got them switched around when the movie started. My excuse is that that's about when DH had to get up w/Pooh. I was pretty embarrassed – but the show looked a whole lot better once I switched!!!

We left the Muppets and went to look through the shop there. One of these days I’m going to spring for a Muppet T-shirt, but I haven’t been able to bring myself to spend the money yet. Then we headed for DH’s favorite store – Tatooine Traders! Yes, it’s a must-do for him. Goofy and I had to go back and find his sunglasses that he’d left in the Muppet store, but DH got to shop with Tink and Pooh for a little while. We then noticed that the stand-by wait for Star Tours was five minutes – the Fast Pass machines weren’t even turned on. This was common on this trip – and oh, so cool!! So DH decided to ride it. The kids and I waited outside. It was getting pretty darn hot (the good thing about the rain the day before was that it kept the temperature down), so we used some snack credits to get some frozen treats. This tells you how my kids ate on this trip: Tink got the strawberry bar, Goofy got a Mickey Ear bar, and I got a frozen banana. Only the frozen banana got completely finished by its original orderer. Tink licked all over her bar and then decided she didn’t want it – and after last night’s stomach cramps, no one was about to finish it for her! Goofy did a little better on his Mickey Ear bar, but DH still ended up finishing it when he came out. You know it’s bad when they’re not eating the ice cream!!!

Just then, the Jedi Training Academy session started. DH was salivating at the mouth, so I agreed to watch for a while.

Even though Goofy is into swords now, we couldn’t get him to go up there. So DH just videotaped it for now. In the video, you can see the Jedi Master come out and do his little thing where he’s sensing the Force in the kids, and then he whips his Jedi hood down and flares his robes as he takes them off. I had to laugh, and on the tape you can hear me say, “Guys, you’re looking at Daddy’s dream job right now.” You can’t see DH on the tape, of course, but he turned and nodded his head at me, smiling. Sometimes, they’re just big kids… We didn’t stay for very long – just long enough to see him choose the kids. There were actually a few kids that tried to just come up on stage, even though he hadn’t picked them. He asked them to go back to their places, but they didn’t. He had to say something like, “You were not chosen. If you do not return to the audience I will have to ask someone to escort you back down.” I suppose they could have misunderstood, but you’d think that after the first warning they’d have gone back down the steps if that was the case. I really hope that it wasn’t a case of a parent saying, “Who cares? Who’s going to stop you – go on up!” I only say this because I’ve witnessed run-ins with parents, as a teacher, who would have done that. Talk about spoiling the magic!!

Well, right about now Pooh was getting pretty hungry, so we headed towards the Playhouse Disney show. The plan was for them to hit the show while I found a (hopefully cool) place to nurse. The cool part was hard to come by, but I was able to find a slightly out-of-the-way place at the exit to a shop so I could get a waft of air conditioning here and there. I didn’t want to go back to the baby center at the entrance, so I just used a blanket and found an unobtrusive corner. It worked ok. After Pooh was done, I scouted out a very important person. DH really wanted to get his picture taken with Sorcerer Mickey, and I’d heard he was at the end of the Magic of Disney Animation tour. This is something I’d love to take the time to do…when the kids are older! But I found him and still had time to wander the shops before DH and the kids got done with the Playhouse Disney show.

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #56
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

We headed in to the Magic of Animation afterward, and there he was!

(We’d heard that Mr. Incredible and Frozone from The Incredibles were here, too, but not today.) As you can see, DH had fun.

Actually, there were two Japanese girls in front of us who, by the reaction of the photographer, had been there at least once already that morning. They had a whole pile of pictures of Mickey in different costumes. So we weren’t the weirdest ones there, at all!

(My sister-in-law - Belle8306 here on the boards - and mother-in-law made our shirts before our trip last summer. That's why poor Pooh doesn't have one. We just didn't get around to it!)

We took a few minutes to go through the displays and interactive exhibits here. We also found this little guy (just a cut-out), but he’s pretty darn popular in our house right now, so we had to get a picture taken with him, as well.

When we left this area, some of the kids’ favorite characters from Playhouse Disney were out. We got to see Handy Manny. They honestly knocked him over, they ran at him so hard!

June

and Annie and Leo from The Little Einsteins. Annie had some fun with Tink, as you can see.

After that, we returned to Toy Story Mania to ride with our Fast Passes. Pooh looked the same way he did when we visited it earlier:

DH was hoping that, since he’d come within 3,000 points the last time, he could hit one of the high scores of the day. However, the new current high scores were twice what they’d been before! Needless to say, he wasn’t quite as close this time. We switched riders – I rode with Goofy (and Pooh), and DH rode with Tink.

Goofy insisted on telling me what was coming next every time we turned. He already had it memorized! This is now right up there with Buzz as one of his favorites. If we’d have had time to go back to DHS, he would have begged to ride it again. As it was, when we returned at about noon, the Fast Passes were gone, and the stand-by wait was 50 minutes. Too long a wait for us!

At this point, we were all starving. Now started the most difficult quest of the trip – finding a counter service restaurant where my children would eat. I am not kidding you – I think we walked up and checked the menu of each and every counter service place in the park. I’d done research on the Internet before we’d left and made sure I made notes of places where I thought the kids would eat. The only problem was they’d decided they didn’t like the chicken nuggets WDW served at counter service places now! That was how I’d based my decisions, and I didn’t have anything else written down. There really isn’t any place in the whole park they’ll eat at. We ended up getting pizza for DH and I at Pizza Planet.

We compromised with the kids…well, it was a vacation compromise. We ate pizza and salad (which sounded SOOO good – I was finally over my stomach bug!). The kids ate some of our crust (shhhh – we told them it was breadsticks) and the huge chocolate chip cookie that came with my meal, and then each were allowed to play one video game (the whole reason Goofy wanted to come here, even though he doesn’t really eat pizza well). Yes, we came all the way to WDW to play Mario Kart and the Claw!

We then got them a meal to split when we got back to the room. (Actually, it was the plain pasta and grapes meal that I described yesterday – I need to look at my notes more often when I type! I think we just snacked for lunch on Friday…anyway…) Of course, that meal didn’t get eaten well, anyway. So what’s new????

After Pizza Planet, we felt a lot better. We made our way to the exit, stopping to take some pictures on the way.

We also wanted to stop at the Mickey's of Hollywood store on the main drag near the entrance. We wandered around for a little while, and while Tink and I were looking at pins (I’m trying hard to get her hooked along with me) a CM stopped us. She started talking to “the princess” and asked if she’d like to do Mickey a favor. Apparently, he wanted a record of some of the famous princes and princesses that came into the store. According to her, he originally thought about having them put their hands in cement like the “other stars” do, but decided it would be too messy. So the CM asked if she could just trace Tink’s hands on paper instead, and then put them, with her first name and hometown, into a big book for Mickey to check when he came back. Of course, Tink ate this up completely. Here are a few shots of her and the CM, and of the Dreams certificate that Tink got. She was on cloud 9!!

We headed back to the room to rest and get the lunch for the two older kids mentioned above. We were hoping to get to the pool before our ADR at Whispering Canyon.

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #57
belle8306
DIS Veteran

I have so many things to comment on! I can't wait to ride Toy Story now. It looks really cool. I love the sleeping pic of Pooh. I am glad that you found Mickey! I really want to do the annimation academy this time. So, the pizza was good? I was trying to think of what CS we wanted to do there. That might be an option. Plus it is close to Muppets which is a must do. (Kohl's had some Muppets shirts in the men's dept). Love the story about the glasses! I hear you on the weird looks from people. That is how people at work look at me when they find out we are "going there again". They just don't get it! Great update!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #58
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
I have so many things to comment on! I can't wait to ride Toy Story now. It looks really cool. I love the sleeping pic of Pooh. I am glad that you found Mickey! I really want to do the annimation academy this time. So, the pizza was good? I was trying to think of what CS we wanted to do there. That might be an option. Plus it is close to Muppets which is a must do. (Kohl's had some Muppets shirts in the men's dept). Love the story about the glasses! I hear you on the weird looks from people. That is how people at work look at me when they find out we are "going there again". They just don't get it! Great update!
Thanks! The pizza at Pizza Planety isn't bad - I did use a napkin to soak up some of the grease first, but it hit the spot that day. I had another "weird Disney person" moment at my meeting with one of the groups I'm in at church tonight. At least tonight, I knew it was someone who likes me anyway , and she was actually asking how our trip had been. She just doesn't understand because she loves to travel to new places. To each their own, I guess.

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #59
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Day 3 part 2

DH hit the food court with the two older kids while I went back to nurse Pooh. They came back and picked at it for a little while, and the DH decided that, since he hadn’t had ice cream with us at DHS, he’d go get some at the food court. We have enjoyed the ice cream counter there for three trips now. We love to go get waffle cones there because they overload the cones with ice cream – YUM. We are definitely ice cream people.

While he was out doing that, I got Tink and Goofy ready for the pool. It was later than we’d originally planned to get back, and I knew that if they were going to get to the pool and back, and then we were going to get to the Wilderness Lodge, we’d be cutting it close. I put Pooh in the stroller and walked with them to the pool in the hopes that he’d fall asleep (he did – in about five minutes). We weren’t going to take him into the water in the middle of the day when the sun was strongest, so someone had to stay dry. I did manage to take some pictures of the three swimmers, though.

I’d originally told him that I wanted to be waiting for the buses at 4:30 for our 5:35 ADR. When I got back to the room, it was almost 4 already and they’d been at the pool about fifteen minutes. Between getting back to the room later, waiting for the kids to eat, and then waiting for him to get his ice cream, we didn’t leave much time for the pool. Sure enough, they came hurrying back to the room as soon as DH realized what time it was (it was about 4:15 or so). But since I had everything out and ready, we were actually at the buses by 4:40. Of course, no one showered the chlorine off, but no one turned green, either.

We hopped a MK bus fairly quickly, and then had transportation pixie dust going for us again when there was a ferry to the Wilderness Lodge about to pull out as we walked up. He waited for us to get on board, and we were off right away. It’s a nice ride over to the WL, but we sat out in the sun, and like I said it was HOT. We met a very nice family that was there from the east coast somewhere and chatted with them, and Tink got all motherly over their little 2 ½ year old (she does that quite a bit). We didn’t get to look around the lodge very much before we ate, but we figured that we didn’t have much planned for after dinner and could do it then. We passed this on our way - it's official now, I guess, that it's going to be DVC. It looks HUGE!!!

We found the restaurant (I couldn’t remember where it was from looking around this resort last summer) and I checked us in. We’d never been here, but I’d read a lot about it and was looking forward to it. The kids played Lincoln Logs in the waiting area for a minute, and then our buzzer went off. It actually talked to us, which the kids got a kick out of. We were a little disappointed that we were put back in a corner in a smaller area off the main dining room. We heard a lot going on in the main room, but had to get up from the table to see any of it. Tink still participated in the stick pony race/parade thing, but that was about it.

Our server was great – she introduced herself as “Hedda Lettuce.” DH said it even said that under server’s name on the receipt.

This picture says it all – this is probably the meal where the kids ate the least, believe it or not. I’m not sure if they changed the kid’s menu after I booked it, or I was just in another world when I looked at it, because the kid’s choices were mac and cheese (and my kids don’t eat if it doesn’t come out of the blue box, sigh) or grilled chicken strips with pasta. Tink got the chicken, thinking she could at least eat the pasta with the sauce off of it, but still didn’t eat. Goofy got the mac and cheese, but it was a no go. He did, however, get a chocolate milk shake, which he loved, so I can’t say he didn’t get any sustenance that day!! Yes, sadly, Tink is even picky about her sweets, so no milkshake for her. I think she had regular milk (doesn’t even like chocolate milk!!! )

DH and I enjoyed the food, but I had to be careful with what I ate so couldn’t have a lot of barbeque sauce. The peel-and-eat shrimp, which I’d been looking forward to having to myself since DH doesn’t eat seafood (we’ve all got our food hangups, I guess) were a little spicy and I was worried about what it would do to Pooh’s stomach. I had the rotisserie chicken, but it was nothing to write home about. The milkshakes were great, though, as was the salad, which I got more of, and the cornbread. I didn’t go hungry, trust me! We ended up having her box up our desserts (apple pie w/carmel sauce – the best part of the meal!!!). DH had two shakes, since they were bottomless – orange and bubble gum. (I know – a bubble gum milkshake!!! It sounds gross just thinking about it, doesn’t it???)

We did get Tink to ask for ketchup, since we’d ordered French fries for them to split in a desperate attempt to get food into them (didn’t work). Hedda took them into the main room to yell for it (I was feeding Pooh cereal, so I couldn’t go with them), but they wouldn’t yell. (If you haven’t been to WCC, if you ask for ketchup, they make you yell your request to the whole restaurant, and then EVERYONE brings you their ketchup. It’s fun!) Hedda ended up yelling for them. Here’s a picture of them with stage fright:

They didn’t know what to make of it, but Tink sure liked taking it to the next person! Goofy had a rough meal – he is at a stage where sitting in his chair for more then 5 or ten minutes is a very difficult thing. I ended up taking him to the lobby after a while - it was just easier to calm him down out there.

Once DH, Tink and Pooh joined us we looked around the resort.

Not my best angle, but it shows how pretty the walk to the ferry is:

Like I said earlier, I’d been here to look around, but DH hasn’t. I don’t think he was as impressed as I was right off the bat. But the biggest thing that bothered him was that, as far as we could tell, the only transportation to the MK was that ferry. He didn’t like that much, as he felt it wouldn’t come as often as the buses (not that we know that for a fact, as we’ve never stayed there, but that was the impression we got). And to make his point for him, we had to wait for the next ferry when we got to the dock because the first one was full. But I don’t think we waited more than ten minutes. It’s just that you’re much more likely to be bitten by mosquitoes when you’re waiting for a ferry on the lovely, tranquil Seven Seas Lagoon than when you’re waiting for a bus at the All Stars. And if there’s a mosquito in sight, it’s going to find DH.

We decided to head into the MK when we got there that night, which wasn’t in our original plans. But DH is a big shopper, and he wanted to hit some of the shops on Main St. We explained to the kids that we weren’t going to be doing any rides, but that we were just going to look around (which, surprisingly, they were ok with – you could tell they were tired). This is the sight that greeted us as we pulled up to the ferry dock:

Well, at this time of year the Spectro Magic parade is only done on certain nights of the week…and this was one of those nights. So we didn’t stay very long, because Main Street was packed because the parade was starting in 45 minutes. We ended up going back to the hotel and putting the older kids down to bed at a decent time (the only time the whole trip). Well, we were on vacation, right???

So, DH and I still had the apple pie to eat from dinner. And Pooh, having napped in the bus on the way back from MK, was wide awake and wired. So I decided to take him with me to the food court to refill my mug and get ice cream to go with our pie. I thought the walk in the dark to the food court would calm Pooh down a bit. Well, it might have. But, as it turned out, about 500 new guests had arrived that day, including a large group of kids from (according to their t-shirts) a very famous Brazilian high school. The food court was PACKED. I thought there might be a few people there, but not like this! It was crazy! I think I waited at least 15 minutes in line to get my ice cream, then had to go stand in another line to check out for at least another 15. Meanwhile, the food court itself was bustling with activity – so much for calming Pooh down enough to get him to go to sleep! I think it made him worse!! I ended up striking up a conversation with the lady behind me. The reason that many of the lines were taking so long was because very few of the people there at the time spoke English. It also seemed to be their first day on the Dining Plan, because the (VERY patient) CM at the register was having to explain it to them over and over again. Luckily, she spoke Portuguese, since the people in front of me were members of the Brazilian group. The lady behind me made the comment that she couldn’t believe these people would come here without knowing a single bit of English. It made me think, though – I’d love to travel to Spain, or to Germany, or a lot of places where English is not the native language. Would I have to become fluent in that language before I could visit? If that’s the case, I probably will never travel there. I think I’d be terrified if I went to another country without SOMEONE who could speak the language! I had to admire their courage. I admit that I was very surprised by the waits in line that evening, but I have a hard time getting upset at the people who are only visiting who don’t speak our language, knowing that I’m not bilingual, either. It did make for some interesting people watching, though!!

I finally got back to our room with half-melted ice cream and a very wired baby about a half an hour after I’d left. I laughed with DH as I told him the story (he ended up running into them the next night). I actually asked a CM there in the food court on our last night if it was like this every night, or if it was just because of free dining. She said that might be something to do with it, but really there was something going on all the time. I guess a few months ago there was a large group from another country that really liked to party, and they were standing on the tables singing at 10 at night!!! Now, that I might have enjoyed seeing…

Slightly off topic, I also have to add that I never had issues with the Brazilian teens. They were not overly boisterous (at least not in the parts of the resort that we were in), and were polite kids. I saw them in the parks a few times, as well, and they were just having fun. I’ve run into much more rude teenagers in our high school. I know that people shudder when they see the large groups on tour at the same time as them, but I had to let people know that, at least with this one, it wasn’t an issue.

So, apple pie a la mode finished, and Pooh finally calmed down and asleep (an hour after I got back to the room!!), DH and I finally made it to bed. No alarms to set tonight, because we had nothing planned until our 11:45 ADR the next day in Epcot. So, we finally settled into (what we hoped would be) a good night’s rest.

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #60
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Sounds like another great day! I'm sorry you had so many problems getting the little ones to eat! Although, it sounds very familiar to me...

As for WL and the ferry, we stayed at WL in 06 and never had a problem with the ferry service. There was always a ferry within 10 minutes of us arriving. One early morning we had a breakfast ADR for CRT and went to catch the ferry to MK. Little did I know there wasn't one at that hour!! Yikes! Luckily the very nice CM who was the captain of the boat to the Contemporary told me that and we got on with her and took the monorail to MK! In 06 WL and FW shared a ferry. That was the only the issue we had. We had to make another stop 1/2 the time. I believe they both now have their own ferry. We found the ferry much more relaxing then the bus and walk not bad and beautiful! I definitely recommend staying there! Ok, I sound like travel book now!

Can't wait to read more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: