Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Planing

Ok, this is the first time I’ve actually sketched out what we want to do in more detail than “This park on day one, this park on day 2...” We HAVE to take breaks this trip because of the potential heat and Pooh. Add to that the fact that the two older ones are perusing our old park maps daily and adding things that they want to do (it’s a pain that DD can read now ), we really need to have a game plan to get as much in as possible.

Actually, the park maps have come in handy. Goofy has an ear infection (of course), but sat happily in the waiting area at CVS while we waited for the “pink medicine” because I had thought to put the park maps in the diaper bag. He actually struck up a conversation with this sweet little elderly lady who listened very patiently to him while he showed her the “Mickey Show” (Fantasmic) in the “Hot Wheels Map” (it’s an old MGM map from 2005, I think, with the LMA show on the front). He doesn’t WANT to go to the Mickey Show, just for the record, because it has Maleficent in it and he might get scared, but he points it out to everyone he sees. It’s not on our schedule, so he doesn’t have to worry. I'll have to get a picture of him and Tink perusing the maps while they eat their afternoon snack once she's off the bus. It's become their daily ritual this week!

Anyway – back to the planning.

Day 1 – travel day

We have an 8:15 flight out of Indy this day. That should get us in (please, no delays – weather or otherwise!!) to Orlando at 10:30. I figure by the time we get out, wait for the strollers, hit ME and wait for a bus, we’ll be checking in around 12:30 or so. I tend to over-estimate times, since I didn’t the first time we went and was sorely disappointed by how long it took! Of course, having our flight delayed by almost an hour due to transponder issues didn’t help, but ME took longer than I thought, too. Don’t know why, since it’s not exactly like they’re just waiting for US to get on the bus and take off (though that would be sweet…)

Get to ASMo, check in. When we went last summer, DMIL and I honked some people off because we moved to the front of the bus after ASMu so we’d be the first ones in line to check in. I know, it was obnoxious, but DH had plans at Star Wars Weekends, and since it was Sunday it was going to be the only day he could get there, and I was going to get him there ASAP! This time, we’ll just try to sit up front to begin with so we don’t make anyone mad! We’ll probably have lunch there at the hotel.

Then – what to do? DH wants to go to Downtown Disney. I’m worried that (one) the kids will need a break by then with such an early flight time, assuming our room is ready, and (two) the kids will want to spend all of their souvenir money right away, and so won’t have anything left for the rest of the vacation! We could also go to AK, since we’re really only planning on hitting the Nemo musical in that park right now. I know some of you love AK, but it’s so hot, and with kids that complain about being warm in the air conditioning sometimes, it’s not currently one of my favorites. If we had a whole week and could devote a whole day here to wander, I think it’d be different. As it is, we only have five days (including this travel day), and we have to give something up. AK is what gets left out!! DH went to do EE last summer, and while I’d like to do it, I know we’re going back in 2010 and can do it then (maybe with Goofy or Tink). We could also just hit MK, since our ADR is near there.

We have a 5:00 ADR for Chef Mickey’s. This was DH’s request – he loves this place. As I’ve only missed having a meal here one trip out of seven, I didn’t need much persuading! The kids love it, too, and it really will be a great way to kick off the vacation. Depending on how long it takes us to eat there, we might head over to MK for the evening to hit some easy rides like IASW (Tink’s favorite) and browse through the shops if we didn’t make it to DTD. I don’t want to be out too late – MNSSHP is the next day, along with an 8:15 ADR at CP. I am NOT going to have tired kids melting down on me on our first full day in the park!!!! (I know, several of you are rolling your eyes at me right now and saying, “Yeah, right.”)

Gotta go – company coming tonight. My brother and sister-in-law (she's my cohort in Disney planning) are coming down. The guys will go see the new Star Wars movie tomorrow morning, and then we have the Indianapolis DIS meet-up tomorrow afternoon! I'm looking forward to it - it'll be a great way to get us in the mood for our trip (like we need another reason!!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #17
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great plan so far! We love Chef Mickey's too, DH and I are actually planning to dine there on our soul trip in March. It the only character meal we're going to go to. I think it will be fun for just the two of us!

I think you maybe suprised how easily Pooh will go through the vacation. My little was 9 months this past March when we went and he was more the happy to nap in the stroller when he needed too. Other then that he LOVED the whole experience! I hope he's the same in January!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

It's been a few days since I've posted - we had a lot of holiday weekend activities planned, and then I was sidelined with a stomach bug. But here we go...

Day 2

Assuming Hanna is not bearing down upon us….

We have an early day that day – an 8:15 ADR at CP. We’ve never done it, so we’re excited – especially since we get into MK early!! My plan is to be at the bus stop as early as possible – 7:15, if that’s a realistic time to expect a bus to come by. If not, we’ll be there as early as it is realistic. I’ll ask at the desk.

Since we’re planning on asking for our check as we sit (another tip learned from the DIS!), as soon as we’re all well-fed and watered, and all charactered-out, we’ll head to the park. Since Pooh can’t ride many of the rides anyway, I plan on having taking him and head to BTMRR for fastpasses (it’s the one that I think both Tink and Goofy would ride – Goofy’s into trains) while DH takes the two older kids to the teacups (I don’t do spinning rides well since my pregnancies, unfortunately). Then we’ll meet back up to do most of Fantasyland. We accomplished this in about two and a half hours in June, so I’m guessing it’ll be possible in Sept., as well. Then we’ll ride BTMRR for the first time ever using the babyswap procedure (also first time ever). Somewhere in this day, we also need to fit in Jungle Cruise, Goofy’s Barnstormer and Buzz Lightyear. It will all depend on how long it takes us to do the rest – maybe we’ll get a few of them in this morning. Then we’ll head for the hotel to rest up. We have MNSSHP that night!! (I’ve been told I can get the wristbands at the resort – anyone ever had experience with this? I guess we can just go that evening with our tickets instead of wristbands…)

The plan is to grab a good snack (either on Main St. or back at the hotel), swim and then let everyone rest - lights out this time, not just laying on the beds and watching Mickey cartoons. (Goofy could do that all day.) Then we’ll get up and put on our red Incredibles shirts and black shorts. DH is working on these. It’s the closest he and I could come to agreeing on costumes. He wanted Jedi robes. I originally wanted something like what we’re doing for Goofy, but had planned on Tink wearing either a tutu or Princess dress already in her stash, and I hadn’t really planned on dressing up at all. That didn’t go over well with him. This was a good compromise – not too hot, and easy to pack! Now we just have to make the shirts… and only a few days to go!!

At the party, we mostly plan on mostly, well…partying. I would, however, like to ride Splash Mountain (another never-done-it) with whoever I can get to ride with me. Space Mountain would be fun for DH and I, as well, as the other adult is trick-or-treating with the kids. And we might get to some of the rides we didn’t get to in the morning, but we’ll be coming back here our last afternoon/evening, so can get them in then if we don’ttonight. It will also depend on wait time - I've seen comments that you can walk-on rides, but have also seen where they've been really crowded. We’ll also probably have dinner at Cosmic Ray’s (never been, but they have what the kiddos require – either chicken nuggets/tenders or hot dogs!) when we first get back to the park.

We’ll definitely stay for the parade, and I really want to see Hallowishes as well. We’ll probably pack it in after that, though…three tired kids and EMH at DHS the next day (let’s go, Toy Story Mania!!)

Ok, I’m beat, and need to turn in. I’ve gone through all of the menus on AllEars to find CS places our kids will eat at. I’ve dragged out the suitcases (YEAHHH!!!) and have begun piling things in the guest room to pack. And I’ve bookmarked the National Hurricane Center website. Unfortunately, that seems to be a must for this trip, as well. Say it with me now… GO AWAY, HANNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and then Ike…)

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #19
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Sounds like a great plan so far! We love Chef Mickey's too, DH and I are actually planning to dine there on our soul trip in March. It the only character meal we're going to go to. I think it will be fun for just the two of us!

I think you maybe suprised how easily Pooh will go through the vacation. My little was 9 months this past March when we went and he was more the happy to nap in the stroller when he needed too. Other then that he LOVED the whole experience! I hope he's the same in January!
I sure hope so. My biggest concern right now is how to keep him dry. I don't have any sort of stroller cover except a poncho. And I'm going to have to get the stroller out and mess with it to figure out how to do that! It's looking like rain is just going to have to be something we deal with on this trip. DH is most worried about getting there (with Hanna) and getting back (now that Ike is also an issue). The idea of being stuck with the kids somewhere freaks me out a bit, so I'm trying not to think about it. Thank goodness that I left the trip insurance on this time (first time ever - not quite sure why I did, but am very thankful for it!). It will cover expenses for delays.

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-02-2008, 04:37 AM   #20
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

I'm keeping my fingerscrossed for you with the weather activity! Using a poncho as a stoller cover works very well, we've done it before!

Your plan look great! Being in MK with no one else is very cool and MNSSHP is a ton of fun!

Can't wait to read more!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #21
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Planning – Day 3

Ok – I’m two days away from leaving, and still typing out my touring plans!!! I need to get moving here. It should be easier, since I don’t have the next few days nearly as well thought out!! (Good or bad thing???)

Up early, eat breakfast in the room – today is EMH day at DHS. Toy Story Mania, here we come! Goofy is very excited – quite the Toy Story fan. I’m a little worried about this from what I’ve been reading, though. Quite the stampede at rope drop!! I think one of us will take the kids to the stand-by line while the other gets fast passes for later. Twice should do us, since MK is the only park we’ve built a trip back to.

After that, we have Rock-N-Roller Coaster as single riders for the grown-ups as well as the Muppets show (both EMH attractions, too), the Playhouse Disney show, and finding Handy Manny on our list. After this, we’d like to hit the end of the Magic of Disney Animation. DH loves Sorcerer Mickey, so he’d like to see that character at his area. There’s also supposed to be a cut-out of Wall-E here, which Goofy will go nuts for. Once that’s done, I think we’ll grab some lunch at the Backlot Express (never been there, but has the prerequisite chicken nuggets or hot dogs) and head to the resort. I’m guessing we’ll be pretty pooped out after a late night/early morning combo.

After a nice swim/rest at the resort, we have ADRs at Whispering Canyon Café. I’ve been to Wilderness Lodge on our last trip (the girls had a “girl’s day out” of the Behind the Seeds Tour and resort-hopping) but DH hasn’t. I think the kids will be impressed, too. I’d like to get here in enough time to wander the resort. Then we’re off to eat BBQ! Now, DH is looking forward to this meal. I really was, too, especially since it’s new for us – until I remembered that Pooh’s tummy is still very touchy, and doesn’t handle barbeque all that well. I guess I can eat the roasted chicken and all the trimmings. I really do enjoy barbequed meats, though. I can probably have a little taste, but that will be it. Nursing is a wonderful way to bond with your baby. It’s healthy for both of you, and it’s loads more economical. Unfortunately, when you have a baby with a tender stomach, though, it can be problematic! I’ll just enjoy what I can. Oh, and from what I’ve read, I’m going to do everything I can to get Tink to ask for ketchup.

Our ADR this night is for 5:45. I’m hoping to still be here for some of the water parade. As a child, we always stayed at the Poly, so watching this was a tradition. We did a Grand Gathering fireworks cruise last trip, so the kids got to see it from the water last year. I’d like to watch it with them from the beach/shore/whatever it is at WL. It also depends on how fried we are. After this, we’re back to ASMo to swim (and do a load of laundry, since this will probably be the only time to do it) and chill out.

I am a technical nitwit – I’m spoiled by being married to an IT guy. The downside is that he hasn’t downloaded the pictures from the camera in a while, and I don’t know how to do it, so I can’t post the pics of Goofy perusing the MGM map. But, in the meantime (and since I haven’t posted pictures in a while), here are some firsts – Tink and Goofy’s first days of school, and Pooh’s first experience with solid foods (he actually has learned to open his mouth up for the spoon now.) Be back soon!

Tink's first day:

Goofy's first day: (Best one I have, unfortunately - he was pretty wound up!)

Pooh's first cereal:

I'm still trying to figure out why some of my pics come out full-sized, and some don't. I'm saving them all to the same # of pixels....

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #22
nts4wdw
DIS Veteran

I can't believe you will be there in two days! That mkaes for dispeople I know who are leaving this weekend. I hope Hanna won't give you any trouble. We are getting prepared here in SC because 5 out of 8 of the computer models had it headed right for us. Haven't watched the evening news for the lastest.
Your plans look great! You'll love being in MK before opening. That's on my plan for next summer. It is an awesome feeling!!
I'll try to check back in tomorrow, but if I don't, have a wonderful, magical time!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #23
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Fellow Crazy Disney Nut Sister-In-Law Here!
The plans look great! I am living through you this week! I have been watching the weather channel like crazy (you would think I was going). Don't stress too much about it! You guys are going to have a great time. I can't wait to hear all about it!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #24
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nts4wdw View Post
I can't believe you will be there in two days! That mkaes for dispeople I know who are leaving this weekend. I hope Hanna won't give you any trouble. We are getting prepared here in SC because 5 out of 8 of the computer models had it headed right for us. Haven't watched the evening news for the lastest.
Your plans look great! You'll love being in MK before opening. That's on my plan for next summer. It is an awesome feeling!!
I'll try to check back in tomorrow, but if I don't, have a wonderful, magical time!!!!!!
Thanks! I'm finally gettin excited. I don't want it to hit us, but I don't want it to hit anyone else, either!!! Couldn't it just fizzle out down there somewhere??? That would be some major pixie dust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle8306 View Post
Fellow Crazy Disney Nut Sister-In-Law Here!
The plans look great! I am living through you this week! I have been watching the weather channel like crazy (you would think I was going). Don't stress too much about it! You guys are going to have a great time. I can't wait to hear all about it!
Thanks!!! I can now let myself check the NHC website more than once a day (I was actually limiting myself to once a day and trying to follow your advice) but it's Wednesday and it's time for serious crunching. We'll probably give you a buzz tomorrow night to let you know we get there! Thanks for the well-wishes (and the sympathetic ear to all the obsessive planning!!)!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #25
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

Ok, it’s 5 a.m. and I’m working on my PTR!!! It also happens to be 24 hours from when I’ll be waking up to go to DISNEY!!! Hurricanes and frantic packing aside, I’m getting excited. Apparently, Pooh is too, so we’re downstairs typing at 5 a.m. DH was up until who-knows-when working on the MNSSHP shirts. They went from a simple red shirt with the Incredibles logo on them to having personalization and decals on the back, too. He spent most of the last two nights cutting out letters from transfer paper on my Cricut machine. Apparently, buying packs of iron-on letters was going to be too expensive. Two nights of being up until the wee hours of the morning later, only the back of one shirt is finished. I swear, he’s a nut!! He hasn’t packed a stich yet – and he doesn’t let me pack for him (I honestly wouldn’t know where to start). I guess he’ll be starting out a zombie for our trip. Good thing we’re not driving this time….

So, I left off getting ready for our fourth full day. After such busy plans, I really think we’re going to take it easy this morning. We have an 11:45 lunch scheduled at Garden Grill, so we’re going to hang around the resort and swim (and wake up whenever) this morning. I had planned on taking Pooh (the early riser, as you can tell) to the gift shop to buy donuts this morning, but I’ve heard that the box of Entemann’s is no longer on the snack list, so we’ll have to make due with pop tarts and cereal in the room. If we feel like it, we might try to get to Epcot in time to ride Spaceship Earth before heading over to the Land for lunch, but that’d be about it.

I’ve heard good things about this meal, and the food looks good. I’m looking forward to this one. I hear that it’s being discontinued, too, so I’m glad we made it. I have to say I never did make it to LTT, and it’s being discontinued, as well (the character meal), so at least I’ll have been to this one.

After eating, there are a few biggies we’d like to hit. This will be our only day in Epcot. I never feel like we get to spend enough time here, but with small children, other parks tend to take precedence. We will hit Nemo and Turtle Talk, and I’d like to try Journey into Imagination, which I haven’t tried since 1996, at the latest. DH loves Mission Space, and we’d like to try to do a baby swap on Test Track (both Tink and Goofy think this one looks pretty cool). After that, I think we’re heading to World Showcase. Other than the Akershus princess breakfast, we didn’t get to experience this at all last summer. The evening we had dedicated to it ended up getting completely rained out (I’m talking pouring rain from about 5 p.m until after midnight!). Tink is very curious about the Kidcot stops, Miss Crafty that she is, and I think Goofy will like the street performers. We’ll grab CS as we get hungry (there’s a McDonald’s here, so at least I know my kids will eat – it’s almost embarrassing, though, eating McDonald’s in WS!!! ). We’re thinking Morocco, if I think Pooh can handle it later (and depending on how he’s done with the food so far). That’s my first pick, at least. We’ll wander and explore the shops. DH is excited that China has Bejing Olympics merchandise for sale, so we’ll definitely stop in those shops. And I’ve never ridden the Mexico ride, so I won’t know if it’s better or worse since the rehab. But I’d like to try – the kids like Donald.

Then there is my recurring goal for every trip: I have been to WDW four times now since 2000 (including this trip), and still have not seen Illuminations!!! I wanted to very badly when we came as adults w/my parents in 2000, but I was outvoted in favor of Fantasmic. DM scheduled a lot of evening dinner shows during our four-night stay, and I didn’t know enough to plan ahead. Then in 2005, with kids, we just didn’t feel like they’d make it. In 2007, as I mentioned, it poured the night we had it scheduled (our second-to-last night there) and I didn’t make it back. We’d really like to see it this time – it completely depends on how the kids do, though. I know I’m going back in 2010, and there will be plenty of adults to take the kids, so unless it rains again I’ll see it then (only ten years later… ) So, either we’ll hang around and make it for Illuminations, or we’ll pack it in and head back to the hotel.

There’s only one more day after this!! Hopefully I can get it posted before I leave. Tink and Goofy both came down with the stomach bug that I had on Sunday, so I had two sick kids to deal with yesterday, besides the packing and everything else. And I’m still checking the National Hurricane Center’s website once a day (probably more often today) to see what Hanna and Co. are up to. I’ve contacted our TA, so I know how to go about making use of our travel insurance should we be delayed somewhere. It’s now almost 9 (Pooh eventually went back to sleep, and so did I), Tink is on the bus, Goofy is on the couch (can’t go back to preK today, so he’s hanging out with me), Pooh is ready for a nap and the laundry is calling. I’ll try to get back later today to finish up!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #26
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

This is it!!

I think I have almost everything packed. DH actually has the shirts done (except Pooh's). I think I'll have my act together in the morning.

I know I didn't get the last day posted, but there wasn't much to say. We have a 9:25 (I know, I couldn't get any earlier ) ADR for breakfast at Chef Mickey's - a first for us, since we've always done dinner. Assuming we haven't gotten to AK yet, we will probably head there to see the Nemo musical. Oh, and Goofy has now informed me he wants to ride "that animal bus" so he can "see all the neat animals." We're not getting there early, so I doubt we'll do this unless we can't talk him out of it!!

We'll end at MK - always do. This might be the only day we go straight through without a break. We'll probably be done by about 6, though. We have a 9:50 flight out of MCO, so we'll be picked up pretty early. I'll need to get packing, too. So it'll be an afternoon of our favorites over at MK until it's time to call it a trip. We'll be bummed, we'll probably have gotten wet - but we'll hopefully have lots of good memories!

I'll update when we return. Although, DH really wants to post a pic of his shirts (they really ARE cute!) before we go. We'll see what he gets done! Talk to you in a little less than a week!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 09-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #27
nts4wdw
DIS Veteran

I guess you are gone!! Have a wonderful, magical time!! Details and lots of pics!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:35 AM   #28
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Cute report, looking forward to hearing about your trip when you get back! Hope you have great weather!
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Old 09-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #29
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

I hope your having a good time!! Can't wait to read the trip report when you get back!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #30
snowwhite325
Another Tag Dreamer... pinch me, am I sleeping?

I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get home...I hope you are having a magical time

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: