Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Way Out West - Day 10 – Disneyland and the journey home

Normally we would be up early on our last day to drop our bags at Downtown Disney check-in but as there is no equivalent here we were not up until 8:45. We packed our toiletries and overnight stuff and at 9:30 went down to check-out and leave our bags with Bell Services for the day.

We then made our way over to Disneyland where the first stop was the Storybookland Canal Boats, which we had missed when we here before as the queue had been too long and still. This is a gentle boat ride through different model houses, like Agrabah, Snow White’s house and Alice’s house amongst others.

From one boat to another – the next stop was the Mark Twain riverboat, which is much the same as the one at WDW.

The boat in front here is the Columbia, which is a sailing boat that you can also go on.

From the Mark Twain we went round for a final ride on Pirates of the Caribbean where we ended up in a boat behind a young girl, probably around 1 or 2, who obviously wasn’t ready for dark rides as she howled all the way round after the first drop.

After Pirates we stopped off in the Mint Julep bar for a Mint Julep and Cinnamon Crisp each and then made our way round to Haunted Mansion.

---cont.---

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

From the Mansion we went round to the Enchanted Tiki Room and then down to Main Street where we finished our visit to the parks with a round trip on the Railroad.

These pictures were taken in the Grand Canyon and Primeval World scenes that you pass through on the train.

Once we got back to Main Street we made our way out of the park and into World of Disney where I bought a photo album and we then went back to the Hearthstone Lounge where we had a beer each and sat waiting for our car to arrive.

At 2:45 we collected our bags from Bell Services and at 3:00 we met up with our driver from Luken Limos who had us at the airport by 3:35. I had kind of over-estimated on timings here as the flight was not leaving until 8:55 so I could have had us picked up a lot later.

We had soon dropped our bags but there was a massive queue for security so we were not through until 4:20 and once through we sat down and had a wander around one at a time while the other waited with the bags.

At 5:20 we went into the L.A. Roadhouse Diner where I had a Cheddar Bacon Melt burger, Dad had a turkey Panini and we had another beer each.

We were on board the plane at 8:05 where we again enjoyed our Premium Economy welcome of sparkling wine while we waited for pushback which was around 10 minutes early.

We were in the air by 9:05 and soon after the drinks run began and then food was served which was a choice of braised chicken thigh with rice, seared beef tenderloin or cheese tortellini. We both had the chicken and Dad had a glass of red wine, while I had white followed by a glass of Baileys after dinner.

During dinner I watched Kung Fu Panda (great) and then settled down to sleep for a while.

We were woken up around 1:10 p.m. and breakfast consisted of a ham, egg and cheese muffin (gross) and granola bar with a cup of coffee and whilst eating I watched Cloverfield (had difficulty seeing what was going on as it seemed to be filmed in complete darkness, plus the movie system was shut off before the end).

We landed around half an hour early at 2:50 and once again, thanks to being able to use the IRIS line, we were through passport control in under a minute. We had around 5 minutes to wait for our bags to come up and then everything came to a halt as we couldn’t find the cab driver that was supposed to be picking us up. It turned out that he had been caught out by us landing early and was stuck on the other side of the airport but we finally caught up with him at 4:00.

The usual seemingly never-ending journey home then followed – I watched the ETA on the driver’s Tom-Tom creep up from 5:18 to 5:35 as we made our way through London - and we finally arrived home at 5:35.

And so that was our trip. All in all a great time was had and although Disneyland was great it is somewhere we will go back to in time we won’t be rushing back – maybe in a few years when California Adventure has had it’s revamp and there is some new stuff to do. I loved the compactness of Disneyland and found that it is no better than WDW and it is no worse although it is and always will be ‘the original’.

So planning now starts for next year, this will be to use our DVC developer points at Saratoga Springs hopefully from 31st March to 8th April so I can run into the Easter break from work when we get back. I can’t book that until 31st August though so I’m hoping it isn’t fully booked with home resort owners.

Thanks to everyone for reading and a special thanks to all of those who have left comments.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Sounds like a fun last day. Cloverfield is a really good film but definately agree that not one to watch on the small seat back screens.

I hate it when a good TR ends. Thank you for sharing your trip with us David.....looking forward to the next one, I hope you manage to book the dates/resort you want.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

It's been great reading one of your trip reports again.I very much enjoyed it,it made me remember things i had forgotten about.I sought of had the same impression as you-i was in no rush to go back+have since decided to not go back.It just was'nt for me .
Thanks for sharing with us David+can't wait for the next one-looks like you will be there when we are next year-may have to meet for a pint .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
Thanks for sharing with us David+can't wait for the next one-looks like you will be there when we are next year-may have to meet for a pint .x.
Definitely. If I can get in on the dates I want we'll sort something out.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
Definitely. If I can get in on the dates I want we'll sort something out.
Excellent .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Great reports David, ive really enjoyed reading them x

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

Great TR David, thanks for sharing
thelittlemermaid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
sue.o
Earning My Ears

Great report! Thank you for sharing with us! You brought back some happy memories of our visit to LA!

My DIS Buddy is craigs bride
sue.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

It's been fun, David. Thanks for taking us all along.
SusanEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalielongstaff View Post
Great reports David, ive really enjoyed reading them x
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlemermaid83 View Post
Great TR David, thanks for sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue.o View Post
Great report! Thank you for sharing with us! You brought back some happy memories of our visit to LA!
I have really enjoyed writing them, thanks to you all for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
It's been fun, David. Thanks for taking us all along.
Thanks Susan, and thanks again for all the hints and tips you gave along the way.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

A fab TR. I have really njoyed reading about it. Awesome photos too. Thanks for sharing

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:58 AM   #13
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

Thanks for writing the reports David, they've been an excellent read Glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday and I totally agree on the IRIS thing, saves so much time!
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:11 AM   #14
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

brilliant trip David, thanks for sharing
Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 AM   #15
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great reports as usual David - thanks for taking the time to write them
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: