Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #31
Luxo
Earning My Ears

Dental Emergency and Dad's Secret

Ok, so I've been with the family now a whole night and morning... and I just found out about the whole Casey tooth thing BY READING THIS THREAD!!!

So... maybe now I tell MY secret here first...

Nana was cleaning the hermit crab cage so we could take it to the crab babysitter (neighbor friend, Ben). She pulled out the green one (does it even have a name? i dont know, im just a Dad) and said "uh-oh" as a claw dropped off. "Oh boy, It's dead..."

So, I grabbed the shell and took it over to the garbage and shook out the rest of the dead crab gunk... but I could see something deep in the shell... gunk that won't come out. So, I started banging it against the garbage wall. No luck. Bang harder. Nothing. Hmmmm... grabbed a straw and tried to dig it out. Nope.

Took it the the sink... Put water on full and tried to blast it out like a shell waterpick. Shake it. More spray, now from the hose. Nope. Bang it against the bottom of the sink. Can't get that gunk out! Oh well... give up and just put the shell back down on the counter so Nana can put it back in the cage when its clean. (Hermit crabs are weird, they move from shell to shell occasionally so there are always multiple empties in the cage. And they are apparently unfazed by the fact that many of them were once coffins for other crabs that have passed on...).

So, then a few minutes later as Nana was putting it back in the cage she says "um, it just moved". "What?!?" It hadn't died - it had just shed its skin! And then had crawled back in the deep recess of the shell!

So then I replay the whole thing I did to it in my mind... thinking about that scene in Monsters, Inc. where Sully is watching the garbage machine, crush, shred, and chop what he thought was Boo... And I also vagely recall at some time PoohMom warning me that regular tap water is deadly to the crabs...

So, he didnt move after that... was it a last twitch of life? I decided to not take it to the neighbor yet ("here, babysit these, oh, btw, one is probably dead" - LOL!)... I checked off and on all night... No movement...

But the next day I looked and I thought he was in a new position. Hope! I moved him to a specific place so I could verify. And later he again was in a new position! And then later he was actually moving his little claws and peaking out!...

So, time will tell, but all signs are positive. If that little guy can survive all that, I think he'll be with us for quite awhile!... Whatever his name is.
Luxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #32
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

I love it! We have "True Confessions, Dad Style!"
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #33
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxo View Post
Ok, so I've been with the family now a whole night and morning... and I just found out about the whole Casey tooth thing BY READING THIS THREAD!!!

So... maybe now I tell MY secret here first...

Nana was cleaning the hermit crab cage so we could take it to the crab babysitter (neighbor friend, Ben). She pulled out the green one (does it even have a name? i dont know, im just a Dad) and said "uh-oh" as a claw dropped off. "Oh boy, It's dead..."

So, I grabbed the shell and took it over to the garbage and shook out the rest of the dead crab gunk... but I could see something deep in the shell... gunk that won't come out. So, I started banging it against the garbage wall. No luck. Bang harder. Nothing. Hmmmm... grabbed a straw and tried to dig it out. Nope.

Took it the the sink... Put water on full and tried to blast it out like a shell waterpick. Shake it. More spray, now from the hose. Nope. Bang it against the bottom of the sink. Can't get that gunk out! Oh well... give up and just put the shell back down on the counter so Nana can put it back in the cage when its clean. (Hermit crabs are weird, they move from shell to shell occasionally so there are always multiple empties in the cage. And they are apparently unfazed by the fact that many of them were once coffins for other crabs that have passed on...).

So, then a few minutes later as Nana was putting it back in the cage she says "um, it just moved". "What?!?" It hadn't died - it had just shed its skin! And then had crawled back in the deep recess of the shell!

So then I replay the whole thing I did to it in my mind... thinking about that scene in Monsters, Inc. where Sully is watching the garbage machine, crush, shred, and chop what he thought was Boo... And I also vagely recall at some time PoohMom warning me that regular tap water is deadly to the crabs...

So, he didnt move after that... was it a last twitch of life? I decided to not take it to the neighbor yet ("here, babysit these, oh, btw, one is probably dead" - LOL!)... I checked off and on all night... No movement...

But the next day I looked and I thought he was in a new position. Hope! I moved him to a specific place so I could verify. And later he again was in a new position! And then later he was actually moving his little claws and peaking out!...

So, time will tell, but all signs are positive. If that little guy can survive all that, I think he'll be with us for quite awhile!... Whatever his name is.
I can't even believe it! You knucklehead!!!!

When a crab dies, it just falls out of its shell, it doesn't hold on for dear life! I am proud of "Billy" (Thats his name by the way) for literally hanging in there.

OMG, I just read this again, a STRAW!!! Poor little guy! Have fun explaining that to Emily when we get home. (It is her crab and we have had them for 4 YEARS!)

I hope you feel better getting that off your chest...I wish I had something else to "disclose" to you via the DIS, but I can't think of anything offhand. I am too boring.

To all you tag alongers, I will update again this evening...along with letting you guys know how Emily takes the news...

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #34
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

I am loving this report! I can't wait to hear more.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #35
BelleEm2
Mouseketeer

This is an excellent trip report! I'm loving all the details, and the way you're describing it makes it seem like an ideal vacation (aside from the dental emergancies and the hermit crab murder ). I hope you continue to update so regularly while on board, because I can't wait to live vicariously on the repo through you and your family!

By the way, you have me seriously considering a train trip in the future. You've made it sound like so much fun. The only thing of the sort that I've ever been on was NY to FL when I was a kid, and I was too young to remember it or appreciate it. Thanks for the idea!
BelleEm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #36
Zoiebear
Mouseketeer

Wow what a great trip report

Poohmomof5 wow I love your trip report and look forward to watching and reading the rest of your great 21 day trip
Stacie

Disneyland way too many times to list!!!
Paris disneyland 7/1999
WDW 9/1999, 8/2000, 7/2003, 10/2004, 10/2005, 11/2006, 2/2007, 10/08
Swan and Dolphin, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Pop Century, All Star Sports, Port Orleans, Old West West
Cruise November 2006, February 2007
Zoiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #37
NewportCat
You can't expect to hit the jackpot if you don't put a few nickels in the machine...

LOVE YOUR REPORT!! Keep it coming...Great updates from Dad too! Can't wait to meet you onboard...I love your upbeat attitude.

Just a few more hours to go and we're off on the big adventure!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Aug 2008 - DCL Magic, EB Panama Canal Repo
Feb 2005 - HAL Oosterdam, Mexican Riviera
Been going to DLR my whole life!

<center><embed
NewportCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #38
TheDisneyGirl02
I found my Disney Prince!
Animals that have gone through the taxidermy process scare like nothing else!

I am so loving this trip report!

Just read about the hermit crab...I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying!!! We had a hermit crab so that to us a long time ago. The Monsters Inc. is what really got me!

Have a wonderful trip, I'm glad everyone is safe and I can't wait to follow the rest of your journey bringing the Magic back home!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #39
tlinus
Proud Redhead
Johnny Depp sexy transcends all generations!!!!
we should have just bagged it

I am really enjoying this trip report and the interaction of Mom and Dad has me laughin SO hard.

I took a particular interest in this cruise because i have a friend who is on it with his sister and her kids (they aren't DISsers - but I sent them the link to the meet thread)......Can't wait to see if I can find them in the background of someones picture

Have a wonderful trip and looking forward to the updates!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #40
Marcy Mouse
DIS Veteran

Enjoying!

I'm enjoying your report. We leave in 7 days and will be taking the auto train down to Sanford!

Marcy
Marcy Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:51 AM   #41
Perdie
Mouseketeer

This is a great report! I'm enjoying it!! Wish I was on the ship!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #42
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

I'm living vicariously through the EBPC cruisers...*SIGH* (One day I WILL have my TOAL!!)

I'm really enjoying this Trip Report!!
Great narrative!
Hope to hear news from on board soon!!
Hope everyone's having a BLAST!!!
-Christal
Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #43
ashleylovesthebeach
Mouseketeer

can't wait for the next update! Great report!

ashleylovesthebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #44
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Hope you are all having a great time
waiting hard to hear more
thanks for sharing
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #45
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

loving the report so far, can't wait to hear more, hope the trip is great so far
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: