Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
mermaidbride1108
Disney Fairy Tale Bride 8.31.09

Group Dining Questions

I was given the number by a CM last August when I said I would like to book Ohana's for my Rehearsal Dinner. I wanted to ask and I figured this would be the best place to post!

Am I correct that you can call Group Dining 6 Months in advance?

How many people do you need to have to be consider a Group Dining Reservation?

Can you book Group Dining at Cinderella's Royal Table?

Just because I'm confused & curious, what is the difference between Group Dining & Grand Gatherings?

(we aren't a Grand Gathering, different ressie's, but many family members traveling for the wedding)

Thank you for your help!

mermaidbride1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

Group dining handles reservations of large groups at most restaurants. I *THINK* it is groups of 12 or larger...maybe 8? I would recommend calling the group dining number and talking to someone there before your 90 day mark. I might even call back and talk to 2 or 3 people to confirm that they have given you the correct information. (Learned this from experience... )

With group dining, they will book your tables, but they will not guarantee that you will all be sitting together at the same table or even tables nearby.

Since you are planning a rehearsal dinner, let’s hope they will be more accommodating! They might recommend that you call the restaurant directly in that case.

A “Grand Gathering(s)” has a dual meaning. In the broad sense, it is a group of 8 or more people that have decided to travel together and link their reservations. If you are all staying at the same hotel, then they make it a point for you all to have rooms near each other.

There are also Grand Gathering events that are sometimes referred to as Grand Gatherings. There are 4 events and you can find the details here… http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdwi/en_CA/special/magicalgatherings/ggSpecialProducts?id=GrandGatheringsSpecialProduct sPage

Now, to confuse things even more! Disney also uses the term “Magical Gathering” if your group book over 10 rooms. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdwi/en_CA/experience/experienceLanding?id=MagicalGatheringsExperiencePa ge

Are you booking your wedding at WDW? If so, what do their wedding planners have to day about it?

I honestly do not think Disney is very accommodating for large groups even though they push the Grand Gathering / Magical Gatherings.

I have had this debate with the Grand Gathering people and the group dining people and have gotten no where.
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
mermaidbride1108
Disney Fairy Tale Bride 8.31.09

Thanks Hannebell.

I'm going to start calling now to figure out that I have the correct # & Information. It's just so confusing!!

I meet with my planner 17 days for the planning session, I'm asking her then. I've heard different things from past brides. Some say the planner booked it for them, some booked it themselves.

mermaidbride1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
GlenbeulahGal
Earning My Ears

As many times as we have been to Disney we have never been more than a party of 5 (when grandma tags along). This year we are 14!!! I called the regular dining number and made reservations. I got the "we will do our best but no guarantee to have you sit together" speech, which I anticipated. I know I have seen large parties dining together during past visits.

Tonight, my husband called to make a reservation to take my daughter this week while I am out of town (jealous). He and the CM started chatting about our big group coming in Dec. She asked why we weren't doing Magical Gatherings and said we should participate since it helps us with dining, getting our rooms together and he mentioned other things but I can't recall what they were. Why weren't we suggested this when we made the reservation for the rooms or when I called back for dining? Should I now call back and do something else with dining?

This CM said she would email us the Magical Gathering info since she didn't know a whole lot about it. She works in the Interline reservations department which is where we have to make all of our resort reservations since we are airline employees. They seem to be a little remote in that department.

GlenbeulahGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: