Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Way Out West - Day 8 – Universal Studios, Hollywood and an old favourite

Today we were off to Universal – DIY style – so we were both up by 7:45 and out at 8:05. There were plenty of taxis outside the hotel so we were soon on our way to the Amtrak station at Anaheim where we collected our Business Class tickets for the 9:08 train to Los Angeles.

We sat on the platform to await the train, which finally arrived at 9:25. We arrived at Los Angeles Union Station at 10:20 and made our way down to the subway station where we picked up a red line train to Universal City arriving there at 10:50. The final leg of the journey was to get the Universal shuttle up the hill to the gates of the park and, after getting stuck behind some people with dodgy tickets we were finally in the park at 11:20.

First stop in the park was to pick up our front of line passes, after which we sat down to have a drink and plan our attack on the park.

I decided to do the Tour first and, thanks to our FOL passes we bypassed the 10 minute wait and got on the first tram to arrive. The tour was great, and was made even better by the people in the row in front of us going “Oooh” and “Aaah” at everything they saw, which caused Dad and I great amusement for the rest of the day. It seems that following the fire most of the Back To The Future set is still there although the King Kong attraction was lost. In the first picture you can see where they are re-building the area that was fire-damaged. We also found out that they are re-introducing the collapsing bridge section of the tour next month.

This is the area affected by the fire at the beginning of July

Part of the Earthquake scene

Jaws

Bates Motel

War of the Worlds set

---cont.---

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

After the tour we made our way down to the lower lot where we again used our FOL passes to walk straight in to Backdraft, an attraction based on the film of the same name.

From there we went into the Special Effects Stages where we learned about the various special effects that go into the making of movies. A word of advice here for those who might visit this attraction with small children. There is a section in the second room where a ‘monster’ appears to ‘come to life’ which might be frightening for them so bear that in mind.

After the special effects show we went into the Universal Experience, which is an exhibit of various props, costumes, letters etc. from Universal’s history and there is even an Oscar in there (best picture for ‘The Sting’).

We had now seen everything we wanted to in the lower lot so we made our way back up to the top level where we spotted something I absolutely love – Cinnabon! The time was now about 2:15 and we hadn’t eaten last night so there was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity to have a nice, sticky, frosted Cinnabon so we had one each with a root beer and, after a bit of a wait, found a table to sit at.

Our sweet cravings satisfied for now we made our way round for the 2:50 showing of Waterworld, which is a stunt show based on the film of the same name. Again we got entry through a special entrance thanks to our FOL passes and watched unsuspecting members of the audience getting squirted by one of the cast members in scenes that reminded me of the mime at the Clyde and Seymour show in Sea World.

Once the show had finished we had a quick look around the shops and decided we had seen all we wanted to see so we left the park at around 3:30 and after a fair wait for the shuttle to take us back down the hill we were back at the subway station where we got a train to Hollywood and Highland station.

First stop in Hollywood was the Virgin Megastore where I bought the complete series of Disney Mania CDs containing all of the music we had heard whilst sitting at Tortilla Jo’s in Downtown Disney on our first night here. From there we went across the road to the Disney Soda Fountain and Studio Store where we had a root bear and pintrader’s delight sundae each, which came with a free, exclusive Soda Fountain store pin.

---cont.---

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
wickesy

After our sundae’s we had a walk along the Hollywood Walk of Fame, a couple of blocks in either direction, on both sides of the road and I took some pictures of some of my favourite stars.

The name hasn’t come out very well on this one, it’s Robert Guillaume who played the title role in one of my favourite TV shows when I was a kid – Benson.

One of a couple of starts that Walt Disney has on the Walk of Fame.

Oliver Hardy’s star is on Vine Street, which we didn’t walk down.

Next up was a trip into the Highland shopping centre to take a picture of the Hollywood sign.

We had now done everything we wanted to here so we made our way back to the subway station and got a train back to Union Station. The time was now around 7:00 and we were booked on the 8:30 train so we sat outside and waited admiring the gardens outside the station.

At 8:20 the departure indicated that we would be boarding at track 10B so we made our way down and onto the train where we took our business class seats, which had more legroom than the Premium Economy seats on the plane coming over! The train left dead on time but arrived back at Anaheim around 5 minutes late at 9:15. Once again there was a line of taxis waiting outside and we were back in the hotel room by 9:30.

We were in bed by 10:30 ready for another late start tomorrow as I had decided first stop would be Toy Story Mania in California Adventure.

Tomorrow: Day 9 – California Adventure

Last edited by wickesy; 08-14-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Fantastic day David.You're pictures are great .I remember when i went(years ago)we got a coach from our hotel to Universal and it took FOREVER...i love the Bates Motel+loved the House.A terrible shame when that fire happened-i loved the Studio Tram Tour-was the bit of the tour where it starts to storm and then you look to your left and theres a huge stream of flood water bundling towards you still working?.
Do they still tour you thru the country+western scenes and explain about how little the swing doors were for the men to make them look big+macho,and big oversized doors to make the women look dainty.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
Fantastic day David.You're pictures are great .I remember when i went(years ago)we got a coach from our hotel to Universal and it took FOREVER...i love the Bates Motel+loved the House.A terrible shame when that fire happened-i loved the Studio Tram Tour-was the bit of the tour where it starts to storm and then you look to your left and theres a huge stream of flood water bundling towards you still working?.
Do they still tour you thru the country+western scenes and explain about how little the swing doors were for the men to make them look big+macho,and big oversized doors to make the women look dainty.
I had read about bad traffic going into LA and I also didn't want to be tied to the times of tours, which is why I decided to go the Amtrak route (although going business class was a bit overkill in the end).

The flash flood scene is still there but I don't remember anything about swing doors. There was also a fantastic scene I forgot to mention with one of the cars from The Fast and the Furious coming spinning through the air straight towards the tram. It was actually on a sort of hydraulic pole but you couldn't see that from the angle the car was coming at.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
I had read about bad traffic going into LA and I also didn't want to be tied to the times of tours, which is why I decided to go the Amtrak route (although going business class was a bit overkill in the end).

The flash flood scene is still there but I don't remember anything about swing doors. There was also a fantastic scene I forgot to mention with one of the cars from The Fast and the Furious coming spinning through the air straight towards the tram. It was actually on a sort of hydraulic pole but you couldn't see that from the angle the car was coming at.
It was near where they would have showed you were the 3 Amigo's was filmed,it's were they filmed a lot of Cowboy films.It may not be on the tram tour anymore .No car scene when i was there,that sounds great though.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
It was near where they would have showed you were the 3 Amigo's was filmed,it's were they filmed a lot of Cowboy films.It may not be on the tram tour anymore .No car scene when i was there,that sounds great though.x.
It might have been in one of the 'quiet' areas where the guide couldn't speak because they were filming a show about some sort of Housewives in Hysteria Lane or something. It's supposed to be quite popular Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Universal looks great, great day, and I love seeing The Hollywood Sign

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #9
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
It might have been in one of the 'quiet' areas where the guide couldn't speak because they were filming a show about some sort of Housewives in Hysteria Lane or something. It's supposed to be quite popular Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
oh wow !

Great day david

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #10
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

what a fab day, you fitted so much in. I love the free pin !
Old 08-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #11
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Great photos David. I really enjoy USH when we went.

Has the Van Helsing attraction gone? I hope so! I swear that I nearly had a heart attack in it when we went a few years ago....I can not even begin to describe how scared I was.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #12
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Another brilliant day, with fab photos. Universal studios looks fun

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

Another great instalment and fab day! You're really cranking these out, i'll be quite sad when they're finished The soda fountain pin is so cute.. We're staying just behind the Hollywood and Highland mall for the LA portion of our trip and definitely plan to get ice-cream from the DSF
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:48 AM   #14
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great day David - I couldn't help but pick up on your comment about Benson - I loved that show so much when I was younger. I noticed that they recently bought out a DVD of the series but, at £70+, it was a bit excessive for me to justify buying a copy. I do wonder if I would enjoy it as much if I saw it again now.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #15
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

brilliant day and fantastic photos

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: