Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Driving the Florida Turnpike to Disney -- Where do YOU exit?

We always drive down I-75 to the turnpike, then take the turnpike to I-4 where they cross, just east of Universal. To get to Disney, this seems like a little more doubling-back than I'd prefer. Is there an earlier exit from the turnpike that will get us to Disney as quickly (or more quickly) than going all the way to I-4?

SSB
Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
mickeyholic
DIS Veteran

This is a good question, I have been wondering the same thing. I will be watching for an update, because I do believe I read somewhere that there was an earlier exit.

2001 Port Orleans French Quarter
2003 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Port Orleans French Quarter
2007 Port Orleans Riverside
2009 Pop Century
2011 Old Key West
mickeyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

There might be an earlier exit off of the Turnpike but we always go to I-4. That is when the kids start getting excited (and so do DH & I) because we start seeing the billboards for WDW, Sea World & Universal. Then we get off of I-4 at SR 553 (there is a billboard with a Mickey hand there) which gets us onto WDW property via DTD.

You could probably get off of the Turnpike at S.R. 429 (also a Toll Road) to 192 (West Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy.). Going by Google Earth it looks like that route kinda goes to the west and behind WDW. Looking at that route it looks like you'd still have to double around but this time you'd be going south and west of WDW and probably with more chances of getting lost (at least I would).
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
rorhoshots
Earning My Ears

We go the same way, but we always exit the turnpike onto HWY 429 also called the Western Expressway. This is also a Toll Road, but I only remember paying a couple of dollars. Take the Western Way exit and you will be at the back side of Disney by the Coronado Resort. Go straight until you hit Buena Vista Drive and turn left. Also, this takes you by the area where Disney keeps and grows all of their "back-up"trees and plants. Hope this helps.
BTW...there are signs telling you when to get off 429 to get to Disney.

Last edited by rorhoshots; 08-13-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added info
rorhoshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Far as I know, that's your quickest route, not accounting for a traffic jam. The only Turnpike exit before that which will get you down to Disney would be State Road 429 - which is a toll road. It's pretty wide-open, but winding and not really any closer. You could take that to Western Way, which pops into Disney property just east of Coronado Springs Resort. Or take it a little further to connect to 192 (irlo bronson), then head east to either Sherberth Road (drops you right into AK or AK Lodge) or continuing on to the Main Gate entrance.

It'll shed about 2-5 miles off the total mileage - depending on where within the World you are headed. But it should be a quieter road than I4, so maybe a good alternative if you happen to be arriving during one of the heavier traffic periods.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Indio
DIS Veteran

We take 429. We used to go all the way to I-4 and through Orlando (by Universal). Taking 429 cuts nearly an hour off our trip because you don't have to deal with any traffic. Orlando at rush hour is awful!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorhoshots View Post
We go the same way, but we always exit the turnpike onto HWY 429 also called the Western Expressway. This is also a Toll Road, but I only remember paying a couple of dollars. Take the Western Way exit and you will be at the back side of Disney by the Coronado Resort. Go straight until you hit Buena Vista Drive and turn left. Also, this takes you by the area where Disney keeps and grows all of their "back-up"trees and plants. Hope this helps.
BTW...there are signs telling you when to get off 429 to get to Disney.
We take this way (but leaving Disney) when going to my sister's after Disney. She lives in N. FL. and we live in S. FL. Even used it coming back from sister. bad accident on the turnpike near Universal. Where are you staying? If you turn left you will pass in front of Coronado Springs and will come to World Drive. If you are staying at AKL or AS turn right instead of left to go to those resorts.
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

You can take the Clermont exit off the Turnpike. It will put you on Hwy 50. Go east on Hwy 50 until you come to CR535. Take CR535 to Disney. It is back roads, but it is much quicker than taking I-4 or 429. If you take CR535, you will pass by a lot of neighborhoods. It twists and turns a bit. You will end up at the entrance to WDW across from The Crossroads.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
JeffZ
Mouseketeer

We always get off the turnpike @ US -27--take it south to 192 Irlo bronson and come in from the west of Disney through Kissimee. Don't know if it's any shorter but you avoid all the dowtown Orlando traffic. -When we were last @WDW we left for home via the western way--it was a new road --no traffic.
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
disneybass
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day

Take the toll rd 429 to exit 8 Western Way. Is is so much quicker!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
dawgfan
from georgia ya'll

I have done the turnpike to US 27 then down to 192. NEVER again. That was the longest slowest way with ligths and such. We now go all the way to I-4 and go into town. It was much faster. Never tried or thought of 429. I will have to look into that. BUT. taking the Turnpike ot I-4 is not as long or out of the way as it may seem given traffic and speed tollerance for Interstate.
POFQ July 2004
POFQ July 2007
WL Villas April 2009
POFQ July 2010
WL Villas March 2011
POFQ April 2011
POR June 2011
Off Site-Best Western LBV June 2012
POFQ-June 2013
POFQ- December Christmas trip 2013
ASMu- April 2014
POFQ-May 2014
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybass View Post
Take the toll rd 429 to exit 8 Western Way. Is is so much quicker!
YES, YES, YES!

It is SOOO much faster than Hwy 27 to 192. It is only like $1 toll and the road is brand new, smooth, and practically empty. You can even see Space Mtn, Contemporary, Tower of Terror, Spaceship Earth, in the distance as you approach Disney property.

And since we often stay at CSR, it's very close and convenient. Trust me, use 429 - you'll be glad you did!

And 429 is like an interstate, so the speed limit is at least 65 and you can actually go that speed because you're the only car on the road!

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!

Last edited by Claire&TheBoys; 08-13-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: add more
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #13
Bethann23
Mouseketeer

checking msn maps .... it shows 429 to western highway the fastest way ..... I have never tried this before, but we will next year ... Thanks for the Great information....

July 2008 Disneyland and DCA,Mar 2007 WDW Pop, April 2004 WDW ALL-Star Movies

me DH DD DS
Bethann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #14
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Take the turnpike to Exit 267, which is also SR-429 or the Western Beltway.

Take this road South to Exit 8. follow the signs for about 1/2 mile to the WDW Western Gateway Gate. This road will intersect Buena Vista Drive between the Coronado Springs Resort and Blizzard Beach.

Turn right for AK, AKL, All Stars and BB. Turn left for everything else on WDW.

It may be a little longer in distance than 27 to 192, but you have almost zero traffic and no traffic lights until you get to WDW and it is much shorter in time and aggrevation.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
disnut8
DIS Veteran

I've done Route 27. I've done I4. And I've done 429.

Without a doubt, 429 is THE best route to Disney World. No worry about the possibility of traffic jams on I4. No traffic lights like on Route 27 (and the three Wal Marts you will go by on the way). Route 429 is a straight, 65 MPH (or 70?) road with very, very little traffic.

Yes, Route 27 is not a toll road. Yes, I4 is $1 less than Route 429. But trust me, please. The $3.50 ($2.50 on the Turnpike and $1 on Route 429) you will pay is far, far, far better than the amount of time and frustration on either of the two other routes.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: