Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Timon

DIS Junkie

Cool Cass, Rob and Kira back in Disney - Food Reviews!! Completed 03/13/2010!

Well since my trip report is now closed and locked, I figured it was time I started my dining reviews

I will start my review in the next post so I can use this post for links to each review.

Just to give you a little background, I am a very picky, plain eater. I grew up eating burgers, hot dogs, fries, etc., and that's still what I like best. I don't eat like that all the time, when I am home I try to eat better but I hate veggies and a lot of other stuff so it's hard for me to find things I like. When I am on vacation, however, I eat only the things I want, which are all bad for me

Rob is a lot easier to please when it comes to food. He will eat almost anything but his favourites are fruit salads (fruit topped with honey and bathing in cream) and veggies. ()

Kira is a pretty good eater although she is sadly like her mother and refuses to eat most vegetables. I am trying my absolute best to make sure that she grows up enjoying many different kinds of foods. I started her young on whole grains and fruits and I limit her intake of sweets and treats. Already, she eats better than I do so I am happy about that!

My WDW Reviews

The Mara

Rainforest Cafe

Flame Tree BBQ & Pizzafari

Restaurantosaurus

Boma Breakfast Buffet

Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe

Aloha Isle

Restaurantosaurus (again )

T-Rex

Ghirardelli

50's Prime Time Cafe

Sci-Fi Dine In

Le Cellier

Crystal Palace

Chef Mickey's

Princess Storybook Breakfast

Casey's Corner

Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck Express

Kona Cafe Breakfast

Casey's

Kona Breakfast

My DCL Reviews

Free Breakfast Buffet at the Residence Inn

Embarkation Buffet and Pluto's

Animator's Palate

Topsiders Buffet Breakfast

Character Breakfast at Parrot Cay

Golden Mickeys

Topsiders and Lumiere's

Pirate Night Dinner

Room Service and Palo Dinner

Topsiders Dinner

Lunch at Castaway Cay

Till We Meet Again

Last edited by Timon; 10-24-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Timon

DIS Junkie

Dinner at The Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 15, 2009

By the time we finally got to the villa, we were absolutely starving so that may have made a huge impact on this review

It had been 2 years since the last time we ate at WDW and we were a little nervous to try the "new and improved" chicken strips.

There was absolutely no reason to worry because they were divine!!!

We got:

2 orders of chicken strips with fries $15.38
watermelon $ 3.19
Mickey Milk $1.29
Zebra Domes $3.69
2 Resort Mugs $25.98

Total with tax: $52.76

Rating: out of

Like I said, we were absolutely famished and this was our first meal at Disney in 2 years so that might be the reason we loved it so much. The food was hot, fresh and soooo delicious. There wasn't a single crumb left on our tray.

Rob filled his resort mug with coffee, which he really enjoyed! This totally surprised me because most of the reviews I've read about Disney coffee are not favourable. Since Rob is very picky about his coffee, I was sure he wasn't going to like it but once again, he proved me wrong. He enjoyed it so much that he filled his mug twice before we even left our table!

I wouldn't know about that stuff....I am not a coffee person!

I normally drink iced tea at home but I can't drink it when I am in the U.S. because they usually only have brewed tea with ice. I like the Nestea stuff, I buy the 50% less sugar version for home but I am happy with the regular stuff in restaurants.

I was about to fill up my cup with Diet-Coke ( I used to drink this stuff by the gallon after Rob turned me from Diet Sprite but quit drinking it in 2004) when I spotted Coke Zero. I decided that I would give that a try and I ended up really liking it! Unfortunately for me, this was the only place I found Coke Zero in the fountain. I have since tried it in the bottle/can and do not enjoy it at all. But for some reason, the stuff at The Mara was delicious!

Kira shared with us and enjoyed the chicken strips, watermelon and the zebra domes.

It was my first taste of the much-talked about domes, and while they didn't quite live up to the amazing reviews they get here on the DIS, they were quite good. They were incredibly sweet and both Kira and Rob could only stand a few bites each but I took one for the team and finished them off.

Last edited by Timon; 02-02-2010 at 03:42 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Count me in. I love reading your reviews!!! I read your trip report and really enjoyed it. Kira is so adorable!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Timon

DIS Junkie

Breakfast at Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom - October 16th, 2009

We've had breakfast here many times before and it's always been so good that we decided to always stop here at least once per trip.

Unfortunately this time it wasn't as good as our previous trips.

First off, they got rid of Rob's favourite Paradise Plate. He was really bummed about that!

Here is what the Paradise Plate looked liked in 2007:

Kira was a little freaked out with the animals sounds at first but eventually she got used to it and enjoyed it. She knows all the names of the RFC animals, which helped her get comfortable. I kept pointing and saying "Oh look, there's Tuki! And there's Rio!" It helped that she has plates with the characters on them and we made sure to memorize all the names before we left.

I had my usual, Breakfast of Bandits and Rob ordered the Cha Cha Waffle and I asked if he could get a side order of some fruit.

We also asked for a plate for Kira so we could share our food with her. She was happy when our server brought her a plate just like the ones she has at home.

My plate

Rob's stuff

Kira eating her breakfast

While we enjoyed the experience, the food was just mediocre. My eggs were really dry and the potatoes were kind of tasteless. Rob said his waffle was OK and the fruit was pretty good.

We got:

Coffee $2.99
Cha Cha Wild Waffle $9.49
Milk $1.99
Side of fruit $2.49
Breakfast of Bandits $8.99

We used our Safari Club Card to get 10% off

Total with tax: $25.41

Rating:
out of

I would have rated it only but Kira ended up loving the whole theme and we danced in our chairs to the music

Last edited by Timon; 02-02-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
JESW
We have 4 cats, 1 anole lizard, and 10, yes, 10 birds - 2 cockatiels and 8 parakeets, but still no partridge in a pear tree
It just craps me up!

Yay! Another Cass report! )Why was your trip report locked? I missed it!) Are you doing any scrap booking these days? Looking forward to reading more.

Jill

April 18th - April 26th
Bay Lake Tower

July 9th - 18th
Boardwalk Inn & Old Key West
Celebrating dh's bd and bringing a newbie!
JESW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Timon

DIS Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Hi
Count me in. I love reading your reviews!!! I read your trip report and really enjoyed it. Kira is so adorable!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESW View Post
Yay! Another Cass report! )Why was your trip report locked? I missed it!) Are you doing any scrap booking these days? Looking forward to reading more.

Jill
Although I wasn't technically finished (I wanted to do a final thoughts post) it was moved to the finished reports page by the mods.

You can still read it, you just can't comment on it anymore.

Here's the link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2324431

As for scrapbooking, haven't done much lately. I finished our 2007 WDW/DCL digital album just before we left on this trip so when I am done this food report, my next project will be the 2009 WDW/DCL scrapbook album

Good to see you around Jill
Old 02-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
cntkg1
Runs with Scissors!!
shakes dollar bills for good luck

$53.00?????? I hope the ketchup was free.

BTW, what are Zebra Domes?

(Glad to see you started this review Cass! I'll finally get my DIS fix).
cntkg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
cntkg1
Runs with Scissors!!
shakes dollar bills for good luck

That fruit plate Rob ordered in 2007 looked divine Cass!
So you no likey dry eggs, huh? Did you opt for the pancakes at my house then last year? My eggs are always dry...actually, "browned" is the only way you'll see me eat them. Sorry kiddo. Next time, I'll be sure to pull out some runny eggs for ya.
cntkg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntkg1 View Post

Looks like that included two mugs though. (I hope that cost includes the mugs, otherwise is right!)

I really want to try the Mara sometime. Maybe in the fall since I think I'm going to be skipping Boma, and I'll need a zebra dome fix.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Timon

DIS Junkie

Quote:

Hahah, yup, good thing ketchup was free LOL! $25 of that bill was for the refillable mugs, which we definitely got our money's worth out of

Zebra Domes are very sweet mousse type dessert, shaped into domes. They get a lot of attention here on the DIS. Here's the recipe:

http://keyingredient.com/recipes/715...a-domes-bomas/ (click on the recipe tab)

Quote:
That fruit plate Rob ordered in 2007 looked divine Cass!
So you no likey dry eggs, huh? Did you opt for the pancakes at my house then last year? My eggs are always dry...actually, "browned" is the only way you'll see me eat them. Sorry kiddo. Next time, I'll be sure to pull out some runny eggs for ya.
I don't recall your eggs being dry. I don't like runny eggs either, I like them moist. I'm not one to eat something I don't like and I remember eating your eggs, so they couldn't have been that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
Looks like that included two mugs though. (I hope that cost includes the mugs, otherwise is right!)

I really want to try the Mara sometime. Maybe in the fall since I think I'm going to be skipping Boma, and I'll need a zebra dome fix.
Yes, definitely included the two mugs! And yeah, if you don't want to go to Boma (although I don't think I would ever skip the chance to eat at Boma again!) you can find the zebra domes in the cooler at Mara
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
I have never wanted chicken strip so badly! Yummy!
You and me, both! I have probably never ordered chicken fingers in all my trips to WDW--but I might be heading over to the Mara for that and some honey-dijon dipping sauce instead of my usual African stew in a bread bowl! (Ok, maybe not--but I'll make sure my kids order those and I get to sample!)

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

It all looks so good! I love your reviews, thanks for sharing!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Timon

DIS Junkie

Flame Tree Barbecue & Pizzafari Animal Kingdom - October 16th, 2009

Rob and Kira were getting hungry but I was still pretty full from breakfast so while Kira and I grabbed a seat at Flame Tree, Rob went and got the food.

We've only ever eaten at FTB once before and I didn't even realize there was seating behind this restaurant until I read a review with pics a few months before we left. Now normally Rob and Kira get a seat and I get the food, this works for several reasons:

1-I normally carry most of the US cash.
2-I always know what Rob would eat off of any given menu (as well as Kira)
3-Rob has a hard time finding me in a crowd (sorry babe, but it's true! )

So as I slowly walked through the MASSIVE seating area located behind this restaurant, looking for a quiet spot so Kira can run around a bit, I was getting a wee bit nervous. Well, we keep walking and walking...holy crap this place is big, Rob will never find us!

I find a decent place at the bottom of the very long stairs (Kira loved running up and down these while we waited for Rob) and proceed to text Rob very specific directions in order to find us

It seemed like an eternity before he finally showed up, he said the lines were ridiculously long.

I think the condiment area was top secret because they all seemed to be slightly hidden. Thankfully I had just walked through this giant maze of paths and seating areas and had spotted one close by.

Rob got:

Kids hot dog meal $4.99 (came with chocolate chip cookie and apple juice)
Half Chicken Meal $9.49
Safari Fruit Plate $6.99
Large Coffee $1.89 (how anyone can drink coffee in this heat is beyond me )
$5 donation to the Disney Wildlife Conservation Fund

Total with tax: $29.88

Kira devoured her hot dog (wiener only, she never eats the bun) as well as tons of fruit and Rob ate everything else but the beans. He said it was very good and they were both full.

A couple hours later while we were waiting for the parade, I got hungry and we were right next to Pizzafari so I figured I would go get my old favourite, the Hot Italian Style Sandwich. I've had this many times and it's always been quite delicious once I removed those yucky tomatoes

This time, however, it was rather gross! Kira ended up eating most of my chips and I nibbled on the sandwich before I decided I couldn't possibly eat anymore of that crud.

I lost that receipt but according to all ears it was:

Hot Italian Style Sandwich with chips $8.79
Large diet coke $2.49

Total with Tax: $11.96

That might have been the worst $12 I spent! Even the diet coke was gross. It tasted really off, maybe it was at the end of the tank?

Last edited by Timon; 02-03-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
Timon

DIS Junkie

Restaurantosaurus at Animal Kingdom - October 16th, 2009

A couple hours later, we were all hungry again and we couldn't get our minds off of those chicken strips from the night before. The only place I knew they served them was at Restaurantosaurus so off we went.

It's a good thing I've memorized all of the menus from All Ears

We weren't starving so we decided to split some chicken strips and Kira said she wanted some apple juice.

While I was getting the food, I could hear all the way into the other room that Kira was having a bit of a meltdown. When I got there she changed her mind and asked for milk, so I went back and got that for her.

While the strips were just as delicious as the ones at The Mara, Kira was at the end of her rope and her attitude kept us from really enjoying our meal. After that episode, we left the park tout suite!

We got:

Chicken strips with fries $7.69
Bottled water $2.50
Apple Juice $2.39

Total with Tax: $13.23

Rating: out of (it would have been 5 's without the meltdown

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: