Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Way Out West - Day 2 – Pier 39, Aquarium and my number one must-see

As usual I was awake at 4:30 but managed to doze on and off until 6:00 when the noise of the dustmen woke us up and Dad got up. I got up at 7:00 and after washing and dressing we went down to get breakfast from the restaurant next door to the hotel.

We both had coffee, French toast topped with sliced banana and strawberries with a side of applewood smoked bacon and Dad had orange juice while I had cranberry juice. Total spend on breakfast including tip was $52.

After breakfast we popped in to Safeways for Dad to buy some disposable razors as he had dropped his on the bathroom floor this morning and broken it. From there we went back to the room and gathered our stuff together to go out.

First stop this morning was Pier 39 to see the sealions.

From there we had a wander down the seafront before returning to Pier 39 just after 9:30 where went in to Aquarium of the Bay.

The aquarium houses many species of fish that are found in San Francisco Bay, including anchovies

And a couple of familiar faces

From the first exhibit area we took the lift down ‘under the bay’ where there are moving walkways that take you through the main exhibit

---cont---

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

After the walkways we took the lift back up to the entrance level where there a few ‘touching pools’ containing rays and starfish.

We left the aquarium around 10:15 and made our way down to the Boudin Bakery where we had intended to take the tour, which was supposed to open at 10:00 but when we got there we discovered that it was not opening today until 12:00 so we stood outside for a while where they have a viewing area for people to watch the bakers making sourdough bread.

From the bakery we wandered up to Ghirardelli Square and went upstairs to the Ghirardelli chocolate shop where we were given a free sample and had a hot chocolate each. We then made our way back down to the Maritime National Park where we admired the view and watched the people who had rented bikes making their way to the Golden Gate Bridge.

The main event for today was booked for 1:00 and we were due to check-in for it at The Cannery at 12:50. We arrived there at around 12:30 and sat and waited for time to pass. This main event, and my number one recommendation for must-see in San Francisco – the Big Red Fire Engine Tour. This tour had us smiling from beginning to end and was worth every cent of the $45 each that we paid for it. It is run by ‘Captain’ Robert and his wife Marilyn who live in the old San Francisco fire-house and takes place on their lovingly restored and kept 1955 Mack Fire Engine. Robert is the driver, Marilyn is the guide and sings her way through the 75 minute tour that goes around San Francisco, over the Golden Gate Bridge, into Sausalito and back again. The open-air fire engine holds 13 people and we were all provided with fire jackets, which we were grateful for as it gets particularly breezy going over the bridge! On the other side of the bridge we stopped for photos and Marilyn took her time to make sure everybody had photographs taken in front of the fire engine with their own cameras, before she and Robert posed for photographs themselves. Everybody on the tour thoroughly enjoyed themselves and I would say if you only do one thing in San Francisco do this, you will not regret it.

---cont---

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
wickesy

The tour dropped us back at The Cannery just after 3:00 and we walked back down towards Fisherman’s Wharf where stopped off in an electrical shop we had seen earlier for Dad to buy an adaptor and for me to get an SD card reader as I had forgotten to bring mine and wanted to start uploading my photos to Photobucket ready for this trip report.

We then went back up to the Boudin Bakery to do the tour only to find that it was now closed for a private function so we had to place that on the list of things to do on Sunday. We decided instead to go back to the room for a break, which we did and I did a bit of internet browsing using the free wireless in the room and updated my trip report.

We were downstairs again for our free glass of wine and we then went off to Pier 39 where our first stop was La Salsa Cantina, a Mexican fast-food restaurant.

We both had an overstuffed chicken grilled burrito (which was a new item and isn’t on the menus above), Dad had a Margarita and I had a bottle of Budweiser which we enjoyed whilst sitting outside on the balcony overlooking the Marina.

After we had eaten we had a look around the Marine Preservation and National Parks shops before going back to Lefty’s where I bought a shot glass and tumbler.

From Pier 39 we walked back up towards the hotel and had a look around a shop called Cost Plus, which is kind of a pile it high and sell it cheap shop where Dad bought some soap, shower gel and a new shower brush. We then decided to call it a night and went back to the room where we spent an hour relaxing before going to bed at 9:30 (party animals eh?!)

Tomorrow: Day 3 - Wine Country Tour

Last edited by wickesy; 08-11-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

The tour sounded good and I like the look of that restaurant, yum
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

OMG that fire engine tour looked great fun.....definately going to put that on my to do list! Where did you book it, do they have a website?

I love the films of the sealions - they are one of my favourite's, I spend a fortune feeding them in Seaworld!

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
wickesy

They do have a website, which you can find here. Check out the video link on their site as well. Just phone them to book and although they will ask you for a credit card number they do not charge your card when you book, you pay on the day. Be warned - Dad and I are still singing "The big red shiny Mack fire engine"!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

those sealions are too cute! love the piccies, fab views of SF.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

what a great day, excellent pictures

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Excellent day,that tour sounded great .Great pics+footage.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great day - love the sound of that tour. When (and I am saying 'when' not 'if') we finally make it to SF, I am so going to book that tour. Did you find out about it ont he internet, David, or was it in a guide book - and, if the latter, can you recommend any books?
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Great day - love the sound of that tour. When (and I am saying 'when' not 'if') we finally make it to SF, I am so going to book that tour. Did you find out about it ont he internet, David, or was it in a guide book - and, if the latter, can you recommend any books?
There is a website for the tour here and it includes a little video so you can see (and hear) more about it. We did have a guide book but to be honest we did most of our research online - Only In San Francisco was the main site I used.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Another great day David and brilliant photos

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
They do have a website, which you can find here. Check out the video link on their site as well. Just phone them to book and although they will ask you for a credit card number they do not charge your card when you book, you pay on the day. Be warned - Dad and I are still singing "The big red shiny Mack fire engine"!
Thanks David!

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:04 AM   #15
Strommie

It was so peaceful doing that and I loved it!
I like lemon and sugar on mine, and sometimes chocolate

Fantastic day and brilliant photos. The tour looks like a lot of fun
Strommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: