Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
OnourwaytoWDW
Come on... Ratt was not even NEAR Stryper!
I was probably stalker listed

K-mart employee and hiring process

Hey
If there is anyone here that works for K-mart, could you tell me about the hiring process?

I have an employee that said she filled out an application for assistant manager (I know she's looking for something with benefits) and she said as soon as she was done filling it out, it immediately prompted her (must have been done by computer at the store??) to come in for an interview.

Does this sound right? I guess I was thinking that KMart would hire within for such openings, or post it within even at Sears. She doesn't have a degree in anything and only about 3 years experience working in retail. She's only 23.

Either way, I know she's looking. If it's sooner than later, I need to know so I can get someone in to start training before I leave in Sept.

Thanks!

Last edited by OnourwaytoWDW; 08-08-2008 at 05:46 PM.
OnourwaytoWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

is she sure it's not just the appointment to get the initial pre interview drug test info. and next step application that some retailers require?

not personaly familiar with the process, but when i worked for social services we had clients that applied for every job under the sun with walmart, kmart and similar places, and before they ever got a face to face interview they were sent for a screening. the md office that i used to go to for had a lab in the same office and one day i went in for a work-up and could'nt believe the number of folks waiting-found out the lab had the contract for a couple of the big name low end retailers and did all their screenings. lab folks there said that anyone who appeared to meet the m.q.'s for a job were called in to the stores, given a list of stuff to provide (i.d., list of references and such) and then sent for drug screens so they could get that out of the way before they decided who to interview.

not sure how it is with k-mart, but with some lower end retailers the experienced staff know that the asst. mngr. positions are dead end unless you have the education and experience to go into managment so they don't even bother applying. they see the asst. manager jobs as being much more demanding, but paying barely more than they receive, and by virtue of being 'managment' edging them out of eligibility to overtime. in that case it can be a revolving door of openings that noone internaly is willing to apply for.

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkley View Post
is she sure it's not just the appointment to get the initial pre interview drug test info. and next step application that some retailers require?

not personaly familiar with the process, but when i worked for social services we had clients that applied for every job under the sun with walmart, kmart and similar places, and before they ever got a face to face interview they were sent for a screening. the md office that i used to go to for had a lab in the same office and one day i went in for a work-up and could'nt believe the number of folks waiting-found out the lab had the contract for a couple of the big name low end retailers and did all their screenings. lab folks there said that anyone who appeared to meet the m.q.'s for a job were called in to the stores, given a list of stuff to provide (i.d., list of references and such) and then sent for drug screens so they could get that out of the way before they decided who to interview.

not sure how it is with k-mart, but with some lower end retailers the experienced staff know that the asst. mngr. positions are dead end unless you have the education and experience to go into managment so they don't even bother applying. they see the asst. manager jobs as being much more demanding, but paying barely more than they receive, and by virtue of being 'managment' edging them out of eligibility to overtime. in that case it can be a revolving door of openings that noone internaly is willing to apply for.
The policy of sending so many people for drug tests before even interviewing them sounds very costly! Why would a company want to pre-screen so many people. Every job I've had (which has been a whole 2 where they require drug tests) has that done as the last step in the hiring process.

Anyhow back on topic. I have no clue how it works there, but it does sound like a prescreen interview. I had that with my current job. I filled out everything on-line and then got the pop up to set up my screening/testing time. What that turned out to be was a 3 hour, 3 part test and short interview. If you failed part 1 of the test you were asked to leave, then after the 2 other portions you then either got the phone interview or got the sorry e-mail. After phone interview was passed you got to go in and do an in person interview again. It was a lot of work but I'm glad I got the job, it was worth it.

I also agree with the whole asst manager thing. My prior job at the grocery store hired asst managers off the street because a lot of those already working didn't want that position, all the work and none of the glory, plus if you weren't one of the chosen few you weren't ever going to be promoted out of that position.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
SeeVee
DIS Veteran

Cant tell you about the hiring process, but K-mart holds a special place in my heart. It was my first real job. I met my wife working there. I was 16 she was 28. Dont get all crazy! We didnt become romantically involved until I was 20. Got married at 21 and we have be together for 20 years.
SeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
lindalinda
Pull off the mattress and throw it on the floor!
Whats your starting point?
Got thru today without any controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeVee View Post
Cant tell you about the hiring process, but K-mart holds a special place in my heart. It was my first real job. I met my wife working there. I was 16 she was 28. Dont get all crazy! We didnt become romantically involved until I was 20. Got married at 21 and we have be together for 20 years.
I'm not getting all crazy. But it makes you go hmmmmmmm for sure.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
ConstableMickey
Mouseketeer

I had a PT job with Sears (K-Mart is part of the Sears holding corporation) last year and, after filling out the on-line application, was asked for a time frame I would like to come in for a face to face interview. It was after this interview, that I was made the offer and sent for my drug test while their HR dept. did my background (references, prior jobs and credit check) which took about a week (which I found somewhat humorous since my primary job currently is and has been for the past 18 years has been Law Enforcement).
Unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts, I had to leave it after a few months, but the benefits were great, including employee discounts at both K-mart and Sears.

AsM/POR 2002 * POR 2003 *POP 3/2004 * POP 6/2004 * POP 10/2004 * POFQ 12/2004 * POFQ 2/2005 * POFQ 5/2005 * POFQ 12/2005 * POR 5/2006 * AKL 8/2006 * POP 11/2006 * SSR 6/2007 *Dolphin 12/2007 * Polynesian 1/2008 * POP 6/ 2008 * CBR 12/2008 *
Read our newest trip report!Chuck and Lynn Go To Mousefest

ConstableMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
The policy of sending so many people for drug tests before even interviewing them sounds very costly! Why would a company want to pre-screen so many people. Every job I've had (which has been a whole 2 where they require drug tests) has that done as the last step in the hiring process.

Anyhow back on topic. I have no clue how it works there, but it does sound like a prescreen interview. I had that with my current job. I filled out everything on-line and then got the pop up to set up my screening/testing time. What that turned out to be was a 3 hour, 3 part test and short interview. If you failed part 1 of the test you were asked to leave, then after the 2 other portions you then either got the phone interview or got the sorry e-mail. After phone interview was passed you got to go in and do an in person interview again. It was a lot of work but I'm glad I got the job, it was worth it.

I also agree with the whole asst manager thing. My prior job at the grocery store hired asst managers off the street because a lot of those already working didn't want that position, all the work and none of the glory, plus if you weren't one of the chosen few you weren't ever going to be promoted out of that position.

i thought it was nuts too, but i've been given 2 different lines of reasoning both of which made fairly good sense.

the first is when a company has a contract with a lab for drug testing-these contracts can be a per screen price or a flat rate for up to so many people. with a flat rate it costs the company no more to screen everyone who meets the m.q.'s vs the handful they are actualy considering hiring post interview. in some cases the more people they send the lower the contracted rate ends up being on a per screen basis.

the second (and this made huge sense to me) was when you had a large pool of applicants who met the m.q's.. the time/cost entailed in reviewing the full application (those on-line apps are often set up such that you get notified so long as you've answered appropriatly to only a handful of key questions, the rest of your applicant information could make you totaly inappropriate for even initial consideration), setting up initial and secondary interviews, conducting those interviews, doing reference checks, background or bonding checks (if required in some retail jobs) can run into some big $$$. by having that large pool initialy do a drug screen you can immediatly eliminate someone who absolutly could not be hired.

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: