Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
OctMtnWoods
That's where I want to be.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,644

Talking How did we function before Google?



I can't go a day without googling something.

Like:
error messages
how to's
why's
spelling of words
lyrics
videos
ingredients
recipes
places
maps.... I LOVE maps & satellite photos.
images
shopping
coupon codes for online shopping
product reviews

and tons more.

I love google.
OctMtnWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
mikehn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,265

I used to use Ask Jeeves. I liked the butler.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
brockash
DIS Veteran
 
brockash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,193

No kidding. I keep wondering how anyone knew anything before the internet. There used to be a commercial for a preview of a movie (I think it was "Confessions of a Shopaholic" or something) in the preview there's a part where she gets a job as a financial advisor or similiar. Anyways, there's a part where she google's her job title and a guy walks by and says "did you just google what's a financial advisor?" It's hilarious and used to make me laugh so hard. It reminds me of myself some days
__________________
brockash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
OctMtnWoods
That's where I want to be.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post
"did you just google what's a financial advisor?" It's hilarious and used to make me laugh so hard. It reminds me of myself some days
"Did you just google what is finance?"

That makes me laugh too.


Oh, and my dad is always calling with computer questions lately. I always ask if he googled it. If not, then I google it for him while on the phone & read him the answer or email him the link. Eventually, he catches on. LOL
Yesterdays question was he was looking for a calendar he could print out. Found & done!
OctMtnWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
brockash
DIS Veteran
 
brockash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctMtnWoods View Post
"Did you just google what is finance?"

That makes me laugh too.


Oh, and my dad is always calling with computer questions lately. I always ask if he googled it. If not, then I google it for him while on the phone & read him the answer or email him the link. Eventually, he catches on. LOL
Yesterdays question was he was looking for a calendar he could print out. Found & done!
Ahh, yep that's it, thanks. I don't know why, but I just think it's hilarious.

Yeah, I work at our district attorney's office, and we have ppl. that call that ask for all sorts of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with us. Sometimes, we'll just google it for them and read exactly what's on the site and let them know repeatedly that when I google .... I find ....
__________________
brockash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me
 
CathrynRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20,133

It has made me a much more well informed hypochondriac, I can tell you that much.

I turn into a Doctor anytime anyone gets prescribed a new medication at work, or has an ailment. I can run through symptoms with them, diagnose and tell them exactly what they'll be getting from their DR as a prescription - along with that med's side effects.



I told my husband.... I could be one of those 'scam' doctor's who never had a license, but practiced for years and no one would ever know.
__________________
CathrynRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
ashley11
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 95

i cant think of life without google...it makes me look like a geek among my friends
__________________
I am a Disco Dancer
ashley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,333

Libraries, dictionaries, writing companies for lost directions or recipes, and my favorite...ordering back issues of a magazine.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me
 
CathrynRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20,133

You know what though..... how many of us are at work right now?

They could probably cut the work staff at most places in half if they cut off the internet.

I have no IDEA what poor people like our parents actually DID all day at work!!! Poor things.
__________________
CathrynRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
brockash
DIS Veteran
 
brockash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathrynRose View Post
You know what though..... how many of us are at work right now?

They could probably cut the work staff at most places in half if they cut off the internet.

I have no IDEA what poor people like our parents actually DID all day at work!!! Poor things.
Very very true. Oh well, I like to say I multi-task well
__________________
brockash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
DrCavin
DIS Veteran
 
DrCavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohio - Canton
Posts: 4,889

Should we all send Al Gore a thank you note, since he invented the internet
__________________
DrCavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
rabx5
My husband doesn't fit in the overhead compartment- I tried
 
rabx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: too far away from my oldest son
Posts: 1,655

I am a Google abuser
__________________
Jodi
"No matter what accomplishments you make. Somebody helps you~Althea Gibson (posted at EPCOT's American Adventure)
rabx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
OctMtnWoods
That's where I want to be.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleview View Post
Libraries, dictionaries, writing companies for lost directions or recipes, and my favorite...ordering back issues of a magazine.
I have a friend who is the director of town library. The other night I failed at finding what I wanted to find on google, so I turned to her for some help. Well, she too tried google first. Then tons of other library type resources she has from colleges to state wide. Nothing. She tried a network of librarians. Nothing.

I thought it was funny with all the sources she has, she turned to google first also.
OctMtnWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
cheermom1
He NEVER EVER takes them out in public
I am not crazy just a spaz!
 
cheermom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 3,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathrynRose View Post
You know what though..... how many of us are at work right now?

They could probably cut the work staff at most places in half if they cut off the internet.

I have no IDEA what poor people like our parents actually DID all day at work!!! Poor things.
so very true but i have to have the internet for my job. so that wouldn't help

but i use google everyday for something mainly for construction nails and the like for my job
__________________
Linda dh dd18 DS 17 stepson ss16 ss15 ss12

cheermom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 20 minutes from the MOUSE
Posts: 3,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post
No kidding. I keep wondering how anyone knew anything before the internet. There used to be a commercial for a preview of a movie (I think it was "Confessions of a Shopaholic" or something) in the preview there's a part where she gets a job as a financial advisor or similiar. Anyways, there's a part where she google's her job title and a guy walks by and says "did you just google what's a financial advisor?" It's hilarious and used to make me laugh so hard. It reminds me of myself some days
"Yes, I admit it. I googled"

I have no desire to see the entire movie, but that commercial made me laugh every time.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.