Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
VBsHustla
DIS Veteran

How to Keep Epipens Cool in WDW?

Does anyone have any tips about keeping medicine, particularly Epipens, cool in the WDW heat? We'll be going in August and the Epipens aren't supposed to be exposed to such high temperatures all day long. Thanks!
Next time I see you, I'm giving you a high five. 'Cause hugs are overrated, just FYI.

VBsHustla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I remember hearing that they have a fridge that you can keep medication in somewhere in the park.

I guess that wouldn't work to well with an epipen as I'm sure you need it with you at all times.

Do you have a stroller with you? If you do, maybe get a small lunch bag and fill with ice and place it inside for a few mins. every once in a while. Can it be kept in ice for a long time? Sorry, I don't know much about epipens.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Mandychelle79
DIS Veteran

I just carried mine like I normally do. In my bag. Its not like its in your hot car all day.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
srwarden1928
DIS Veteran

DW carried hers in her purse.

Feb 1972, Feb 1974, Feb 1976, Feb 1978, Mar 1985 (EP only), Mar 1990 (EP only), Mar 2008, Oct 2008 (MNSSHP only)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/3va2jxzqyyfdfk89.png[/img]
srwarden1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
buckler
DIS Veteran

I haven't tried this myself, but there is a case made to keep insulin cool for diabetics that might work for an Epipen. It is made by Frio. Do a google search for the term "Frio wallet" and you should find a number of sites that carry it.

From this link http://coolerconcept.com/pages/faqs.htm

WHAT TEMPERATURE DOES A FRIOŽ WALLET MAINTAIN?
"We hate to sound redundant here, but used properly an activated FrioŽ wallet will have an internal temperature between 60°F-72°F, depending on the climate which the wallet is exposed to."

CAN THE WALLET BE USED FOR OTHER MEDICATIONS?

Yes, FrioŽ wallets can hold other medications. Epi-Pen (epinephrine) manufacturer state that their pens do not require refrigeration, but must remain in the temperature range of 59°F-86°F. It is imperative that you contact your Doctor or the manufacturer of the drug you would like to carry in a FrioŽ to ensure that it will be at the correct storage temperature inside a FrioŽ wallet as further tests other than insulin have not been undertaken at this stage.
buckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I asked my doctor about this b/c this was one of my major concerns for the trip adn they all said that as long as it is not in direct sunlight all day than it will be fine....
so basically, you're going to be in and out of rides adn restaurants and shops all day so you're not going to be in the sun for 12 hours straight and if you keep it in a purse or bag, it wont be in the direct sun adn it should be fine
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
thegrimdwarf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckler View Post
I haven't tried this myself, but there is a case made to keep insulin cool for diabetics that might work for an Epipen. It is made by Frio. Do a google search for the term "Frio wallet" and you should find a number of sites that carry it.

From this link http://coolerconcept.com/pages/faqs.htm

WHAT TEMPERATURE DOES A FRIOŽ WALLET MAINTAIN?
"We hate to sound redundant here, but used properly an activated FrioŽ wallet will have an internal temperature between 60°F-72°F, depending on the climate which the wallet is exposed to."

CAN THE WALLET BE USED FOR OTHER MEDICATIONS?

Yes, FrioŽ wallets can hold other medications. Epi-Pen (epinephrine) manufacturer state that their pens do not require refrigeration, but must remain in the temperature range of 59°F-86°F. It is imperative that you contact your Doctor or the manufacturer of the drug you would like to carry in a FrioŽ to ensure that it will be at the correct storage temperature inside a FrioŽ wallet as further tests other than insulin have not been undertaken at this stage.
I have a Frio - they work very well!

Tackling the World with my husband, Godzilla and Kong in October '08!
thegrimdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: