Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #16
Disneylvrforever
Stitch is my puppy!

I let my dad handle the stock stuff since he's the one who bought it for me. I just look at the pretty book they send out every year. It's actually hanging on the wall in my room. It's in a big frame w/ a giclee of Pooh, Piglet, and Eeyore on the top and the piece of stock on the bottom. It's so cool that it came that way.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #17
Lou-Ann
DIS Veteran

Itris pretty. We made a color copy of ours to frame before we sold it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 AM   #18
Disneyluvr2
I'll never out grow the kids table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmel View Post
Looking at your siggie I say you should have bought stock in Churro's and Pineapple!

What a GREAT idea!!! I'll have to see if they sell Churro stock!
Old 07-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #19
tripodjw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter15 View Post
We own some stock. They don't sell stock for the park exclusively, its for the parent company which is The Walt Disney Co.
This is the key between The US Disney shares and the Euro Disney SCA shares.

Euro Disney is the operating company for DLR Paris. It doesn't operate anything else, therefore the shareholders are only investing in the park - not any related activities such as film/dvd releases. Which of course the W D Co. shares in the US include.

EuroDisney required a lot of finance at the time of building that WD Co. did not want to invest because of the likelihood of failure. So they immediately set up EuroDisney as a separate company so that WD Co. was not dragged down if DLR Paris failed (this is the same reason why films are often released
by a company that is made specially for that film - saves dragging down the entire studio).

In order to get investment from Europeans they felt that it was necessary to reward the shareholders on the basis that it was known in advance that DLR Paris would not turn a profit for many many years (it hasn't yet after 15 yrs). As such shareholders wouldn't get a dividend, so they offer a variety of discounts and special events instead.

It's quite clever really as most shares are owned by large investment institutions so they never use the discounts, and for private investors to qualify for the discount you have to own a minimum number of shares to qualify for the discounts. It's 5 shares plus a payment every couple of yrs, or 20 shares and no extra payment. Plus, it means no matter the discount they give, they may actually have brought in visitors to the park who wouldn't have come otherwise (those investors who aren't Disney fans but investing for the future).

Euro Disney needs all the customers it can get! Unlike the US parks which turn a much more healthy profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter15 View Post
If the stock isn't worth anything then who really cares about the "perks".
The perks for some shares are worth more than the shares. I own Euro Diseny shares, and like a poster above, I have saved significantly more from the discounts than the shares cost me in the first place, and i have only done what i would normally do (i.e. not stayed in a better hotel, or had more expensive food, or bought more souvenirs. The perks save me money which means i have more avilable for other things, or for investing in other areas for my future.

And you never know one day the share price may pick up and make me a millionaire.

WDW - 1992, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013; Disneyland - 1994, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011; 2012 Disneyland Paris - 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008 x2, 2009x3; 2012 Tokyo Disneyland - 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013 DCL Disney Magic 2009, 2010x2, 2011 DCL Disney Dream 2011x2 DCL Disney Wonder 2012 DCL Disney Fantasy 2013 My Disney Pics on flickr
tripodjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #20
CastawayCayLover
Mouseketeer

Disney's current price is about $30/share, which is about 13 times earnings. Analysts are fairly upbeat about it, most rating it a buy and an average target price of about $37.

I've owned it in my IRA since 2001 (picked it up for a little under $16). I figured if I'm going to spend the money I spend with Disney on vacations every year I might as well get something out of it. Now when I book a vacation, it's almost like saving for retirement!
CastawayCayLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
aussiemickeys
Mouseketeer

Is there a minimum number of shares that you have to purchase to receive all those perks at Disneyland Paris? Do you know what the shares are selling for at the moment?

Thanks!
aussiemickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #22
lindaed20
Earning My Ears

how do you do it

i am a disney shareholder and am moving to europe and am planing allot of trip to euro disney how do i use my disney stock when i get there i will have been to 3 out of 4 disney so i would love to save money thank you have a good day
lindaed20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #23
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

We have owned Disney stock for many,many years. I have found this to be my way of supporting Disney as a whole and not just the parks. I has been very good to us.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #24
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaed20 View Post
i am a disney shareholder and am moving to europe and am planing allot of trip to euro disney how do i use my disney stock when i get there i will have been to 3 out of 4 disney so i would love to save money thank you have a good day
Disney Stock ticker DIS on the NYSE has no benefits beyond the investment.

In the begining of the thread owning stock in Euro disney ticker EDL on the Paris exchange did have a benefit to those holders.

Keep in mind most of this thread is a couple years old and the information may no longer apply.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #25
liesel
DIS Veteran

Wow, I was quite startled to see fairykin's name as the OP for this thread until I realized that the thread was 2 years old.

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #26
fitnessmouse
DIS Veteran

For the benefits at disneyland paris you need euro disney shares. Just one, but then you have to pay to become a member of the shareholders club. If you have minimum of 20 the club is free. There s more info on the disneyland paris part of this board.
fitnessmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #27
ajloops
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesel View Post
Wow, I was quite startled to see fairykin's name as the OP for this thread until I realized that the thread was 2 years old.
May I ask why? Whats up with fairyskin?

This is btw good info. My dad is big on stocks but never thought of Disney. Hm oh well know I know
ajloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #28
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajloops View Post
May I ask why? Whats up with fairyskin?

This is btw good info. My dad is big on stocks but never thought of Disney. Hm oh well know I know
Fairykin passed from complications due to swine flu. We all miss her very much.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: