Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #31
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

·Toy Story Midway Mania – this is somewhere in WDW I forget where.

Disney Hollywood Studios (old MGM)

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Other: Nov13(VBR), DCL Dream Oct14, Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2043!
Current TR: Our Visit EVERY Season 12-13!!
Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #32
travelmel
Blue Banana Vacation Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
·Toy Story Midway Mania – this is somewhere in WDW I forget where.

Disney Hollywood Studios (old MGM)
Thanks! Fixed it.

The Flippant Trip: Disneyland and DCA Summer CLICK ME

Twilight Prom Party Post & Subsequent mini-TR(pg 19-21)CLICK ME

Psst...take a listen to.... http://www.jackiegreene.com/
Think of Springsteen, Tom Petty, or Bob Dylan, only with a great singing voice.

"He Dazzles Me Frequently"

{Muzak playing} Please hold while your party is connected. {more muzak} We're sorry... your party is temporarily too fat in the bandwidth to answer this siggie. Your call is very important to her. When she gets done applying her sparkle cream and sweating her Mii down to a reasonable size she will be back with her regular silliness. {muzak followed by a brief interuption where you think your party will answer then....} Please continue to hold. {resume muzak}

In danger of having my Wish Membership revoked! Does my siggie make me look fat?? : wishmember
travelmel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #33
travelmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygrl36 View Post
Can't wait to eat at the Blue Bayou in Dec. Hope we are lucky like you & get a table next to the water.
Cute Buzz picture!!!
The reservations were pretty easy, actually... and there was availablity for a later dinner even THAT DAY

Make the ressie for as early as available and check in a bit early and I bet you'll have no trouble with the water seat.

THROW ME A ROLL!

{Muzak playing} Please hold while your party is connected. {more muzak} We're sorry... your party is temporarily too fat in the bandwidth to answer this siggie. Your call is very important to her. When she gets done applying her sparkle cream and sweating her Mii down to a reasonable size she will be back with her regular silliness. {muzak followed by a brief interuption where you think your party will answer then....} Please continue to hold. {resume muzak}

In danger of having my Wish Membership revoked! Does my siggie make me look fat?? : wishmember
Old 07-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #34
travelmel

Back to the trip report already in progress....

I think we walked through the park (My goodness it's a long walk when there's no hub!) to get FP for California Screamin. I don't know if you guys have visited the Disneyland Photo of the Day Thread but OMG there's this guy named Nostalgic Dad ... his photo's BLOW MY MIND They're amazing... this DCA park is very photogenic.

Ok... so then we decided to spend some time at the "carnival" type rides. We started with the Maliboomer which is basically a take you up and drop you kind of gig ....and it is a BLAST (omg that automatic voiceover was KILLING ME) but really, it IS a blast! I hate to admit it... I really HATE to admit it but.. this was my favorite THRILL ride at DLR. True story. It's fun. It's fast. It's a BLAST.

TIP: take shoes/socks off to feel the wind beneath your toes!

We decided to go get ToT FP... WHOLLEY CRAP it's far! I can see it... I just can't get to it unless I walk the FULL length of the park and MORE again!

Then we waited for seats to the Aladdin show. If you haven't seen this show you SUCK! Ok, just kidding.. but OMG it is SOO so so SOO very awesome! It's a broadway type show but it's also got very hip and up to the minute ad-libs by the and without giving much away KNOW THIS: It is WORTH IT! Last year when we went, this was the girls FAVORITE part of DLR.

The show is dark on Mon and Tues.. (at least at the present time) plan accordingly!

These guys were actually hanging around in the Sorcer's Workshop area...

I took another cue from a poster and snapped this cool angle of ToT from the Aladdin exit platforms

Has anybody seen this movie? It's actually REALLY GOOD! Steve Guttenburg Rocks!

After we got FP my husband realized he had blisters on his feet. I probably shoulda offered to go to the car for him but he didn't ask me because he's the nicest husband in the world and he knows that Disney time is so valuable... he sacrificed himself and went for the shoes. We waited at the Sorcer's Workshop..

Title Unneccesary

I can't say enough about this cute place! Walk into this area and you are transfixed at the 100 foot screens surrounding you showing you beautiful images of all your disney favorites. It's hard to tear yourself away. Turtle Talk with Crush and the Disney Animation Workshop are on the top floor.

Teaching the unteachable..

You can do it!

Underground from here is the Beast's Library (I have issues with Beauty and the Beast, however. Basically, your teaching girls that if you love big, grumpy, abusive men LONG ENOUGH and GOOD ENOUGH then they'll CHANGE. Not so much, sista.) moving on....it was pretty though! You also get to find out what kind of Disney character you are and a few other interactive stations. This is the one area that we didn't actually spend enough time in despite our two day luxury excursion.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #35
travelmel

DCA and the ELP

Just a quick stop on memory lane... down the road away from ToT there's this spot:

: Necessary Photo Moment #1

Continue on and there's a spot currently taken up by a "Wall-E" poster but it used to be much cuter as Cruella's trailer: (photo from last year)

I expect her to burst out any minute and hit Cass with the door!

Back to 2008...Then we ran into GOOFY!

On my resume, honest to goodness, it says under hobbies: tourist traps.. this is an Homage to The Goofy Movie.

I love Goofy... I LOVE that movie.. it's so cute how he tries to get max to go to what is blatantly a defunct Disney park with a defunct Bear Country Jamboree show made out of Opossums... I love that Disney was able to wink at itself like that. I also adore the Biggest Ball of String that he and Max stopped at. I am DEFINITELY a Goof at heart.

I'm cheating again now and entering some pictures from last years trip as I was trying to conserve space on my 4 gig card that was FULL and didn't take much in terms of new pictures of some of the things I knew I already had.

Tot Lobby

And from this year....

Somebody should not have stayed up passed midnight Dancin' it up last night!

shot-n-shot cam

I think we then moved on to do the following things: Get Soarin FP, see Muppet Vision 3-D, ride Cal Screamin, ride Soarin, sit the girls down in a good spot to see the Electric Light Parade, run and grab burgers at Taste Pilots Grill which we ate on the curb waiting for sundown....so it might have looked like this:

I loved this show! I loved the guys in the balcony.. loved the bubbles, the graphics worked well on me..which is not easy as I am "cross eyed"

What a smooth coaster.. it breaks down quite a bit, I hear but it is worth the time and effort for the smooth ride. It looks like a wooden coaster but rides like a slick new BLAST OFF machine!

Shot n shot cam

I'm ready for my Close Up Mr Deville

On the move between FP action..

Soarin' is a great ride. It's basically OMNIMAX turned upside down with movement and smell.. but it's a really cool sensation. I would love to see a couple new Shows worked out though. Just like those little motion simulators.. I bet you could reprogam it for different movies and different moves.

This hallway is lined with Aviators and planes..it's a little bit boring and even though you use FP it can be a healthy wait time

The burgers here were Ok. I had the steak sauce one which came with blue cheese and cold A-1 which quickly cooled off my patty making me wonder if it was cooked. The Onion rings were REALLY good. I thought that the burgers were ala carte so I ordered a bunch of fries and the CM told me that they came with fries... I was glad she did cause that would have been a big waste of money... I was impressed with her thoughtful thinking

I like these next picture are out of sequence but who cares.

Old Hollywood

another twilight shot.. pardon if this is a repeat!

Then we sat down for the Main Street Electrical Light Parade (Cue music!)....

Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #36
Jynohn
DIS Veteran

Hi there:

Just wanted to let you know that I saw you and your girls at the Blue Bayou on Sunday. I recognized the t-shirts. We were the family sitting on the bench across from you while we were waiting to be seated. I wish I had known then that you were a fellow DISer. You're my first DIS sighting!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #37
perlster
DIS Veteran

Sorry if this info is already there, but where did you stay during the trip?
perlster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #38
travelmel

Disighting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynohn View Post
Hi there:

Just wanted to let you know that I saw you and your girls at the Blue Bayou on Sunday. I recognized the t-shirts. We were the family sitting on the bench across from you while we were waiting to be seated. I wish I had known then that you were a fellow DISer. You're my first DIS sighting!
Wow! I think that's totally cool Thanks for stopping by my TR and saying hi!

I can't believe it didn't cross your mind that we were Dis' crazies. Of course, there are a lot of other boards, I guess

Did you guys enjoy your experience?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #39
travelmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlster View Post
Sorry if this info is already there, but where did you stay during the trip?
We were at a wedding in Newport Beach and we stayed at the Ramada there... it was only a 15-20 min drive. The next night we stayed with family in Diamond Bar.. even closer

Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #40
Jynohn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmel View Post
Wow! I think that's totally cool Thanks for stopping by my TR and saying hi!

I can't believe it didn't cross your mind that we were Dis' crazies. Of course, there are a lot of other boards, I guess

Did you guys enjoy your experience?
I know! I totally should have guessed by the shirts, but I guess I just thought you were just a super-organized trip planning mom! But your girls were beautiful, and very polite.

We had a great trip. It was our first time at Disneyland after MANY trips to WDW. It was a little strange visiting a place that was so familiar, yet so different, but we're glad we got a chance to go!

And I agree, Sunday was much less crowded than Monday was!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #41
travelmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynohn View Post
I know! I totally should have guessed by the shirts, but I guess I just thought you were just a super-organized trip planning mom! But your girls were beautiful, and very polite.

We had a great trip. It was our first time at Disneyland after MANY trips to WDW. It was a little strange visiting a place that was so familiar, yet so different, but we're glad we got a chance to go!

And I agree, Sunday was much less crowded than Monday was!
Thanks so much for the compliments! I can't remember if it was your little girl insisting to sit by mine or if it was a different families child... but there was a CUTE little one who was sitting on the steps trying to copy the girls and we were getting such a kick out of her!

As you may have read, I wanted to go and compare the WDW attractions SO BAD! Did you find that Disneyland was closer together and less walking? That's what I hear and for that I'm greatful. Was the Blue Bayou a great respite or what?? Sure we don't have the pleathora of choices as WDW but it's pretty cute stuff what we do have!

What were your thoughts on the comparrisons?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #42
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmel View Post
Underground from here is the Beast's Library (I have issues with Beauty and the Beast, however. Basically, your teaching girls that if you love big, grumpy, abusive men LONG ENOUGH and GOOD ENOUGH then they'll CHANGE. Not so much, sista.) moving on....

I completely concur. The message in this story has never sat well with me.

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Other: Nov13(VBR), DCL Dream Oct14, Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2043!
Current TR: Our Visit EVERY Season 12-13!!
Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #43
travelmel

Evening cometh... almost the end of Day 1 (with some off topic stuff)

Okay... so I saw this other post with bigger lettering and I'm going to try it as my eyes aren't so great and maybe yours aren't either... here we gooooo.....

So, we left off eating burgers on the curb of the "hub" at DCA.. We sat down on the side of the street that the Goody "Train" chain of restaraunts was on and right near a trash can. I figured the floats would be coming from our left but they came from our right so the trash can was sorta in our way. Once the lights dimmed and the floats came though, I never noticed it again.

I hadn't seen this parade in over 15 years, I'd guess. (Oh my.. I just realized I haven't responded to that nice lady who shared her story about her tragic day with her DD 9 mos at the last viewing! ... I will address her here.) Dear person who cried when she saw the last parade showing.
I WOULDA BEEN RIGHT THERE WITH YOU! I totally would have taken my DD any age. That is so cute!

I love nostalgia.. even the bad stuff... Last year while in So Cal we visited a mission near Oceanside and I asked my DH and DD's to tour it with me.. I had been saying that I hated touring missions as a kid in LA (what a BORING FIELD TRIP!) and my husband who is usually up for anything was like.. "why do you want us to tour with you, so we can relive your terrible childhood?" YES that's exactly right! Luckily for me my DDB is a REALLY good BFF and she dutifuly toured along with me....

talk about an off topic picture!
Mission San Louis Rey

Faithful buddy DDB

OKAY.... maybe I'll TR those trips another day

So here we are at the parade.... we also go the cutest video.. I'm going to try and figure out how to post video.. I've seen it done on TourGuideMIKE.

I think it works!

I used to have that thing where you look through what looks like a white plastic hand held video camera (circa 1977) and you could put in what looked like hard plastic VHS tapes and watch Disney movies. My favorite thing to do was watch Cinderella's dress transform from rags to princess...forward and backward, forward and backward over and over and over... There was also a fun one of Mickey, Donald, and Goofy in a haunted mansion.. gooditmes.

I remeber a parade where Cinderella was up high on something.. who knows what it was.. Parade of Dreams circa 1977 and she LOOKED at me and waved AT ME. I was star struck. I went to bed feeling like Lucille Ball after kissing Bill Holden!

I love hook!

The rider on this Pete's Dragon float was really good at talking with the crowd...

Insert your own polictical views here __. As long as it fits into the alloted space!

The parade was alot shorter than I remembered it as a kid LOL go figure But it was all kinds of cute. I had actually forgotten about the weird grunts of the little Love Bugs! Our family has top secret meetings now and then and we call ourselves something that's top secret.... hint... amorous insects. Shh.. don't tell if you guessed it.

Up next... heading back to DL for the conclusion of the night!

P.S. I am going back to add a couple of short video's to our BLUE BAYOU section - and one to the intro/wedding section if you're interested.

Last edited by travelmel; 07-21-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #44
travelmel

FINALLY, the end of DAY 1 (I hope...)

At the end of the parade we strolled back to DL to finish up our FP stuff that we acquired earlier in the day. THANKS DAD!

This picture of me is horrendous but I thought it was funny as I had just hit my fingernail so hard on the front bar of the ride that I thought the tip of my finger had come off with it... So here is me checking to see if all my appendages are there!

This little piggy went to market....

We had heard that the Autopia FP was disconnected but we found out it wasn't. We decided to do a walk on and it was a pretty lengthy wait (maybe 15 min?) but Nemo was still hanging tough at 60 min around 10pm so we opted for the cars. I almost skipped this ride (AGAIN) but I'm SO glad I didn't!

55 smiles per hour!

Bailey-o Andretti... more later on this goofy driver. Anybody seen that cartoon of Goofy as he becomes the mad motorist getting behind the wheel? It's a SCREAM!

So I'm in front of DDC and trying to slow down to get her picture. I'm looking behind myself instead of steering which is causing me to hit each and every curve and jerk myself around every 3-4 seconds. I'm hysterical laughing and here comes my daughter and I finally get close enough to snap what I think is a stunning picture only to find THIS:

what the BEEP is she lookin at??

Ah well... tomorrow is another day (and another land HA HA ). I was so surprised how much they liked this ride. There is something magical about controlling a gas pedal when you're under 16. When we pulled into the station and DDC yells to me - "MOM....... THAT was an EXPERIENCE!"

ME: Woo happy dance!

Next we decided to take the side entrance's through the castle to take in the scenery at night and make our way over to Indie for our last ride of the day.

When I was about 4 years old my aunt gave me a book about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It was not a regular book, it was a personalized book and it featured ME as a character. My name was in it along with my address, my friends, and my pet (my doggie, Brandy). The story called for me to save Snow White from being frozen and trapped in the diamond mine It just so happened that MY birthday was the combination to the lock that was keeping her prisoner! arty:

I swear, is an empowering thing to be in charge of Snow White's release from peril!

It's January 19th 1970! (in case they forgot)

I told my girls that they needed to kiss alot of frogs before they meet their prince and that they need to make sure they get one at LEAST as nice as their old Dads... which is maybe... one in 6,000? Maybe even higher odds! Here's DDC singin' her "One day my prince will come" song at this ultra romatique refreshment station.

Looking elegant and refreshed
[/SIZE][/FONT]

We leave Fantasyland and enter the land of ADVENTURE!

I just realized that I haven't put in a time frame since 1:30 this afternoon.. if anybody cares let me know and I'll try to recreate it.

Oh, and I forgot to tell this story: We never even SAW the Dream Team the two days that we were there! However, when we got in line earlier to ride Indie one of the CM's running the fast pass check point really liked our shirts He said, "hey you guys are cool.. I have something for you" and he reached into his pocket. "oh.. I don't have what I wanted to give you but here.." he signed a paper he had in his pocket which allowed us an extra FP for Indie Unfortunately, at that time we already had TWO sets of Indie FP's but we were REALLY happy to be recognized for our shirt efforts none the less. We did wonder though....what was he going to get out of in his pocket??? Dream FP??? It was ok though as we pretty much rocked the FP system and were in good shape anyway. We would have given away our extra Indie FP but the lines were dead when we came back anyway.

So, that concludes Day 1! We were exhausted but in good spirts. Day 1 was definitely the best day of the trip as the crowds were low and our legs were still working (as opposed to day 2). I loved, loved, LOVED our day.

Last edited by travelmel; 10-12-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #45
MadiMouse
Member of the 2011 WDW Moms Panel

Great update! You are really getting me excited!

2011 - 2012 Walt Disney World Moms Panel

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.
MadiMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: