Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Teen Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
ColdNeverBotheredMe
content to be slightly forlorn

Writing

Hey, Dis friends!
I've been realllllly focused lately on editing my latest book I've written, and thought, hey, there are plenty of artists on here, I'm sure there's gotta be at least a couple writers, right?? And I don't know about you but I lovelovelovelove talking about writing and stuff, so I figured I may as well start a thread and just SEE if anyone writes a lot like I do and would want to like, have conversations about it! Because I'd LOVE to know what kind of stuff y'all write (if you do), and more about it and all that fun stuff. You can tell I'm a writer because of my extensive, eloquent use of the word "stuff"...
Anyway, so yeah! As for myself, I write contemporary realistic fiction (I've tried fantasy and that didn't go over too well), prose (I've also tried poetry, and THAT didn't go over too well...), usually aimed at either middle grade readers or young adult. My books tend to be a little quirky, have characters with very unique, and practically unspellable names (unspellable is now a word fyi), and are usually more about the characters than the plot.

"This peppermint winter is so sugar sweet, I don't need to taste to believe... what's December without Christmas Eve?"
"Light me up... and I'll show you the way every year, can't wait for Christmas day, light me up, I've finally figured out what Christmas is all about!"
~Owl City
Merry Christmas!!
ColdNeverBotheredMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
GoofyFunyun
I'm just another one of those forgotten Disney princesses.

Great idea! I write a lot, actually, but very rarely share it with anyone. I love writing lots of fiction, and of course, Disney! I wrote poems a little a couple years ago, but I have no idea where they are now. I often find myself starting stories, but hardly ever finishing them.
Loki: "You know this is wonderful! This a tremendous idea! Let's steal the biggest most obvious ship in the universe and escape in that! Flying around the city, smash it into everything in sight and everyone will see it! It's brilliant Thor! It's truly brillian..."
First Trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3125266
GoofyFunyun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
expeditioneverestgrl
DIS Veteran

I write too! But I've only written two finished books. I am writing fiction. I always do. And my book that I wrote when I was 11 was focused on maybe elementary kids even though it had middle school aged people. It was about a group of friends going to Disney! Most books I write don't get finished. I lose interest or don't know what to write next. But right now I am writing a story. "Max! Don't let them take you!" I scream. "Max, come back!" And then I wake up from my sleep. Not in my bed at home... But in an unfamiliar place. I didn't know where I was. Am I awake... Or am I still dreaming?

I don't know where am I, nor do I remember what happened before I was taken away from my family. Why? That's the only question that is stuck in my head. Why? Where am I? And who is that? Why was I taken? Why isn't my family here? Why am I hurting? Why am I in this room? Where am I? Where is mom? Where is Max? Who are the girls in the same room as I? I finally realize that I have no clothes on. I'm cold...goosebumps are all over my arms and legs. Where did my clothes go...and my knee Is bleeding. I can't move it at all. The girls are asleep so I can't ask them all the questions I have. My biggest concern though: where is Max?"

Is that good ^
Old 11-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
ColdNeverBotheredMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFunyun View Post
Great idea! I write a lot, actually, but very rarely share it with anyone. I love writing lots of fiction, and of course, Disney! I wrote poems a little a couple years ago, but I have no idea where they are now. I often find myself starting stories, but hardly ever finishing them.
Oh my gosh, I'm totally the same way. I chose to write a book for my senior project last year, and having a deadline was the only thing that got me to finish it. And then once I'd done one, it was easier to write my second one. Another thing I found that helped was setting aside an hour of writing time every day regardless of whether or not I felt like it. I used to be the same way though, about not showing stuff to anyone haha... Now I'm like "READ MY STUFF EVERYONE READ MY STUFF" Not sure what brought about the change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditioneverestgrl View Post
I write too! But I've only written two finished books. I am writing fiction. I always do. And my book that I wrote when I was 11 was focused on maybe elementary kids even though it had middle school aged people. It was about a group of friends going to Disney! Most books I write don't get finished. I lose interest or don't know what to write next. But right now I am writing a story. "Max! Don't let them take you!" I scream. "Max, come back!" And then I wake up from my sleep. Not in my bed at home... But in an unfamiliar place. I didn't know where I was. Am I awake... Or am I still dreaming?

I don't know where am I, nor do I remember what happened before I was taken away from my family. Why? That's the only question that is stuck in my head. Why? Where am I? And who is that? Why was I taken? Why isn't my family here? Why am I hurting? Why am I in this room? Where am I? Where is mom? Where is Max? Who are the girls in the same room as I? I finally realize that I have no clothes on. I'm cold...goosebumps are all over my arms and legs. Where did my clothes go...and my knee Is bleeding. I can't move it at all. The girls are asleep so I can't ask them all the questions I have. My biggest concern though: where is Max?"

Is that good ^
Oooh yeah, I like it! Is it part of a short story or a novel or what? I'm assuming it's the beginning. Yeah, not finishing is the hardest thing. I also find it helps to have an outline and at least a hazy idea of what's going to happen at the end, or what the big twists are and stuff, otherwise it's easy to burn out. I only have two finished books too and honestly, I'd say that's a pretty great accomplishment!

The book I'm editing right now is actually a modern day retelling of the Shakespeare play The Comedy of Errors (I have a quote from it in my signature). It's about two sets of identical twins with the same name separated at birth who end up at the same school without knowing it and they keep getting mixed up and it's very confusing haha.

"This peppermint winter is so sugar sweet, I don't need to taste to believe... what's December without Christmas Eve?"
"Light me up... and I'll show you the way every year, can't wait for Christmas day, light me up, I've finally figured out what Christmas is all about!"
~Owl City
Merry Christmas!!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
expeditioneverestgrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNeverBotheredMe View Post
Oh my gosh, I'm totally the same way. I chose to write a book for my senior project last year, and having a deadline was the only thing that got me to finish it. And then once I'd done one, it was easier to write my second one. Another thing I found that helped was setting aside an hour of writing time every day regardless of whether or not I felt like it. I used to be the same way though, about not showing stuff to anyone haha... Now I'm like "READ MY STUFF EVERYONE READ MY STUFF" Not sure what brought about the change... Oooh yeah, I like it! Is it part of a short story or a novel or what? I'm assuming it's the beginning. Yeah, not finishing is the hardest thing. I also find it helps to have an outline and at least a hazy idea of what's going to happen at the end, or what the big twists are and stuff, otherwise it's easy to burn out. I only have two finished books too and honestly, I'd say that's a pretty great accomplishment! The book I'm editing right now is actually a modern day retelling of the Shakespeare play The Comedy of Errors (I have a quote from it in my signature). It's about two sets of identical twins with the same name separated at birth who end up at the same school without knowing it and they keep getting mixed up and it's very confusing haha.
That sounds cool! I don't know if I'm writing a novel or a short story yet...maybe a mix of both.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
ColdNeverBotheredMe

Quote:
That sounds cool! I don't know if I'm writing a novel or a short story yet...maybe a mix of both.
Thanks; yours sounds cool too!!!

~Owl City
Merry Christmas!!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
expeditioneverestgrl
DIS Veteran

Correction: And I wrote three finished stories. A lot when I was younger (2 when I was in sixth grade) but one when I was a little bit older. (13 or so). And me and my friend wrote/shared a book thing that mixed both of our journal diaries. But unfortunately, it went up to heaven with my friends brothers when my friends house caught on fire. <3
Old 11-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
ColdNeverBotheredMe

Quote:
Correction: And I wrote three finished stories. A lot when I was younger (2 when I was in sixth grade) but one when I was a little bit older. (13 or so). And me and my friend wrote/shared a book thing that mixed both of our journal diaries. But unfortunately, it went up to heaven with my friends brothers when my friends house caught on fire. <3
Oh nooo! That's sad So you write longhand? I'm perpetually terrified my computer will crash and I'll lose all my writing. (even though I've emailed it to people and such)

~Owl City
Merry Christmas!!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
disneyanney
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."-Albus Dumbledore

You both sound so dedicated. I've won two writing contests - one with my school and the other at a local university - which were both essays. I'm good at it, and I want to be an English major. I generally don't write anything major because I know it won't be perfect, and that bugs me. I also have a hard time finding ideas. I figure that if it's meant to be, the right story will come at the right time. On the other hand, I write a lot of essays for AP English and APUSH, which also require creative writing pieces. And then there are RPs on here, which I generally do ok with. Basically, it's my dream but I lack confidence. If any of you want a critique/editor, I'd love to read your pieces
"If your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme." -Jiminy Cricket
"The very things that hold you down are going to lift you back up." -Timothy Mouse
"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or...learn from it." -Rafiki
"Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people’s business.
Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git.
Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor.
Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball." — The Marauders’ Map

Offsite @ DL Feb 2000 offsite DL Aug. 2000 AKL Jan 2002 OKW Oct 2002 & MNSSHP POR/GF castle view May 2004 DL/SW offsite May 2005 Disney Magic Mar. 2006 Home @ Poly Sept. 2006/2007 + MNSSHP DL offsite Dec. 2008 Disney Wonder & MNSSHP Oct. 2009 POR May 2011 Disney Dream May/June 2012 & WWOHP Royal @ POR May 2013Alligator Bayou@POR +MNSSHP Sept. 2104
disneyanney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Fairywings
"Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We all have both light and dark inside of us. What matters is the part you choose to act on. That's who you really are." - Sirius Black

Location: I transition between Avengers Tower, the X-Mansion, Hogwarts and Camp Half-Blood

I have several beginnings and much more prewritings but I only finished one thing, however it was complete crap so I abandoned it. I'll probably do a rewrite at some point. I also wrote 1 one act play and have just started a two-act play I'm really excited about. And I'm writing a poem collection, meaning I'm writing a bunch of poems and putting them in one document so I can publish them as a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFunyun View Post
Yeah, I get nervous about sharing my original work because I'm afraid someone will steal my ideas. I've written fanfics for various fandoms too, but that's nerdy so I'm wary about sharing that.

Quote:

Is that good ^
Your voice is very nice.

However, that's all I can say. There's no context here. I know nothing about this character. I know nothing about when this happens in the story. I don't know whether Max is a sibling or friend or whether Max is a boy or a girl, as one of my favorite heroines is named Max. And I think the order of the questions/the priorities are a little strangely ordered. What I mean is, assuming your character is a teenage girl, if I woke up and found myself bare, that would instantly be on my mind, as I'd be worried someone did something unspeakable to me. Then I'd look for wounds, and only then would I worry about anything else. And, as should be fairly obvious by now, if it were me, someone else would not be my top concern. My top priority would be making it out alive. But that's just me.
Jan.2004-Wilderness Lodge Sept.2005-Coronado Springs Jan.-Feb.2008-Wilderness Lodge Feb.2010-Wilderness Lodge June 2012-Off Site, at Disneyland December 2012-Wilderness Lodge&HRH-WDW/WWOHP! November 2014-Off site, at Disneyland
“So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf
All that is gold does not glitter/Not all those who wander are lost/The old that is strong does not wither/Deep roots are not reached by the frost/From the ashes a fire shall be woken/A light from the shadows shall spring/Renewed shall be blade that was broken/The crownless again shall be king - LOTR

I am Perry, Ravenclaw Chaser, Avenger, X-Man, agent of SHIELD, member of the Fellowship of the Ring, fairy, mermaid, pirate, princess, warrior, demigod, and the cool smart aunt of the Post Wastin' family
Fairywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
ColdNeverBotheredMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyanney View Post
You both sound so dedicated. I've won two writing contests - one with my school and the other at a local university - which were both essays. I'm good at it, and I want to be an English major. I generally don't write anything major because I know it won't be perfect, and that bugs me. I also have a hard time finding ideas. I figure that if it's meant to be, the right story will come at the right time. On the other hand, I write a lot of essays for AP English and APUSH, which also require creative writing pieces. And then there are RPs on here, which I generally do ok with. Basically, it's my dream but I lack confidence. If any of you want a critique/editor, I'd love to read your pieces
Wow, congrats on winning contests! I've never won anything. I'm planning on majoring in English too! Yeah, I can definitely relate to lack of confidence, but for me, I just try and remind myself that no writer is perfect, no book, whether it's published or not, is going to be perfect or even close to perfect because everyone's flawed. And not to mention, it's a really subjective business; what one person might find appealing another might hate. I'd be happy to have you read my work, but I definitely don't want to post it on the internet or anything, because of people who steal stuff. I actually just sent my book in to an agent for the second time last night, which was part of the reason I had writing on the brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairywings View Post
I have several beginnings and much more prewritings but I only finished one thing, however it was complete crap so I abandoned it. I'll probably do a rewrite at some point. I also wrote 1 one act play and have just started a two-act play I'm really excited about. And I'm writing a poem collection, meaning I'm writing a bunch of poems and putting them in one document so I can publish them as a book.

Yeah, I get nervous about sharing my original work because I'm afraid someone will steal my ideas. I've written fanfics for various fandoms too, but that's nerdy so I'm wary about sharing that.

Your voice is very nice.

However, that's all I can say. There's no context here. I know nothing about this character. I know nothing about when this happens in the story. I don't know whether Max is a sibling or friend or whether Max is a boy or a girl, as one of my favorite heroines is named Max. And I think the order of the questions/the priorities are a little strangely ordered. What I mean is, assuming your character is a teenage girl, if I woke up and found myself bare, that would instantly be on my mind, as I'd be worried someone did something unspeakable to me. Then I'd look for wounds, and only then would I worry about anything else. And, as should be fairly obvious by now, if it were me, someone else would not be my top concern. My top priority would be making it out alive. But that's just me.

I write fanfics too haha, I mostly use them as writing exercises though, and don't show people much. Mostly for Harry Potter.

Are you talking about Maximum Ride because I've been reading that series and I love it so much!!!!

~Owl City
Merry Christmas!!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
The Villianess
"Don't think and don't worry. When the time comes, you'll know what to do." -Helen Parr, The Incredibles

I write, but I mostly write poetry now. I need to find a way to get stuff out, and writing in a way kind of helps me. I'm also currently writing several stories, one I actually like where the plot is heading, and those are coming kind of slow.

"It's called cruel irony, like my dependence on you." ~ Yzma

"I hate sunshine! I hate it! I HATE IT!" ~ Madam Mim

"Nothing....personal...." ~ Helga Sinclaire

Villain Quotes

"I'm surrounded by idiots." ~ Scar

"Stand back, you fools!" ~ Maleficent

"He's got to have a weakness, because everybody has a weakness." ~ Hades

"Cruella De Vil has the last laugh! AHAHAHAHAHA!" ~ Cruella De Vil (live action)
[/SIZE]
The Villianess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
Fairywings
"Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We all have both light and dark inside of us. What matters is the part you choose to act on. That's who you really are." - Sirius Black

Location: I transition between Avengers Tower, the X-Mansion, Hogwarts and Camp Half-Blood

Quote:
Wow, congrats on winning contests! I've never won anything. I'm planning on majoring in English too! Yeah, I can definitely relate to lack of confidence, but for me, I just try and remind myself that no writer is perfect, no book, whether it's published or not, is going to be perfect or even close to perfect because everyone's flawed. And not to mention, it's a really subjective business; what one person might find appealing another might hate. I'd be happy to have you read my work, but I definitely don't want to post it on the internet or anything, because of people who steal stuff. I actually just sent my book in to an agent for the second time last night, which was part of the reason I had writing on the brain.

I write fanfics too haha, I mostly use them as writing exercises though, and don't show people much. Mostly for Harry Potter.

Are you talking about Maximum Ride because I've been reading that series and I love it so much!!!!
Haha me too.

Yes and no. I do love Maximum Ride but I actually meant one of my characters that I've written about.
Jan.2004-Wilderness Lodge Sept.2005-Coronado Springs Jan.-Feb.2008-Wilderness Lodge Feb.2010-Wilderness Lodge June 2012-Off Site, at Disneyland December 2012-Wilderness Lodge&HRH-WDW/WWOHP! November 2014-Off site, at Disneyland
“So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf
All that is gold does not glitter/Not all those who wander are lost/The old that is strong does not wither/Deep roots are not reached by the frost/From the ashes a fire shall be woken/A light from the shadows shall spring/Renewed shall be blade that was broken/The crownless again shall be king - LOTR

I am Perry, Ravenclaw Chaser, Avenger, X-Man, agent of SHIELD, member of the Fellowship of the Ring, fairy, mermaid, pirate, princess, warrior, demigod, and the cool smart aunt of the Post Wastin' family
Old 11-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
ColdNeverBotheredMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairywings View Post
Haha me too.

Yes and no. I do love Maximum Ride but I actually meant one of my characters that I've written about.
Oh, I see. Cool! I tend give my characters really unusual, hard to spell names haha, I dunno why. And just uncommon stuff. I had a female character named Jamie for instance.

~Owl City
Merry Christmas!!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
Fairywings

Quote:
Oh, I see. Cool! I tend give my characters really unusual, hard to spell names haha, I dunno why. And just uncommon stuff. I had a female character named Jamie for instance.
Jamie isn't that uncommon.

I pick names that fit the character or their family. Some are kinda common, like Georgina or Rex and others are very different, like Makani and Desdemona.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: