Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
kshattuck
DIS Veteran

Best Resort with Little Kids?

Planning a trip for September 09 and struggling to decide if we should save the $$$ and go with a value resort, or if it really would be worth it to upgrade.

Most recently, we stayed at OKW and ASMu. Loved both of them; clear differences in each.

At the time we travel, we will have a 4-yr-old and an 18-month-old. My tendency (and my older daughter's...been there 2x already! ) is to be at the parks non-stop, so will we really use the room?

Long story short I have never been to WDW with such a small child and would love to hear from other parents if they ended up spending more time at the resort and, if so, if it would be worth our while to try to stay somewhere a little more...upgraded?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

kshattuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
minnie0213
Earning My Ears

If you could afford it, I'd try to get a monorail resort since you will probably spend most of your time at MK.
minnie0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
JenLynn
DIS Veteran

Staying at a monorail resort makes sense. We stayed at ASMovies when DD was 2 and DS was 3 and they loved it! They loved climbing on the decorations outside the various buildings and we were lucky to have an awesome room in the ToyStory section that was quiet and secluded but close to the bus stop. It was ideal for us.

6/14 - BWV; 12/09 - BLT; 1/08 - WDW Half-Marathon (Pop); 5/08 - Beach Club; 6/07 - Wonder/ Universal Studios; 11/06 - First trip home to Saratoga Springs; 6/05 - AKL; 5/04 - DCL Magic (Eastern); 6/02 - Riverside/ Wonder; 5/01 - AS Movies; 5/99 - CSR; 7/96 - CBR & RCCL Cruise
JenLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
aimeeg
DIS Veteran

To be perfectly honest I would go value. Our girls were 20 months and 4 our last trip. The LOVED the All Star Movies. It was a hard walk to the bus because it was get off the Dalmations and come on!!! LOL They loved the pools and they thought the cafe was fun. Also the bus was really fun for them. They had never been on busses before.

We spent 10-12 hours a day at the parks so we did not spend a ton of time in our rooms. I feel if we went deluxe I would have felt like I had to be in the hotel. KWIM We showed my older daughter all of the hotels and she picked the movies. We stayed one night at Christmas as the Pop and they loved that one too.
aimeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
kevingg
Mouseketeer

Smile

We have been to WDW four times with my now 6, 4 and 1 year olds. They have all been various ages from eight weeks to 5 when we have gone.

We have stayed at OKW, SSR and POP (3x). OKW is very nice and relaxed but for us WITH kids it wasn't our favorite. MY kids got very bored with the kiddie pool ( they couldn't swim yet). I didn't like their counter service. They didn't have much variety and especially since it was outdoors. We were there with an eight week old and I tried to get her out of the early Sept. heat as much as possible. The kids were outside all day at parks, pools etc. so I didn't love the idea of sitting down for a CS meal outside. We tried to duck into any air conditioned places as much as possible.

SSR was great. We actually started our last trip at OKW and half-way through we requested to change to SSR. I think with young kids it is nice to have the zero entry pool. I think it keeps them more entertained. The rooms were smaller but they were more than suitable. They were also newer. The resort being so big and spread out wasn't a problem for us as some complain about. Also, you could take the boat (or walk) to DTD.My son that that was the best. A couple of times at night my two youngest were tired or asleep I would have my husband drop my son and I off at DTD and walk around and take the boat back to the room. We did have a car though. That is definitely a HUGE plus when you go with little kids. When you are done with the parks you don't have to wait for a bus and hope there is room, you just hop in your car.

We have stayed at POP 3 times now. It has probably been the most convenient with young kids. We would request a room in front of the kiddie pool (preferred room). When the baby needed a nap my DH would bring my son to the pool and I would bring DD to the room for a nap. Depending upon where exactly the room was ( it was always ground floor) I would sit at the kiddie pool and turn my chair so I was always watching the door or if I couldn't stay in direct sight of the door I would sit right outside. I also used a monitor as well. The kiddie pool is no more than 50-100 feet to some of the rooms.

We have never stayed on a monorail resort. We just couldn't afford to spend that much money since we go for two weeks every year. We would much rather spend the same amount of money going for a longer time than on a more expensive resort. This also, gives you more down-time for doing other things. With little kids sometimes this is good.

This January we are going with our then 18 month old as well and are staying at POP (unless we can get a great discount code). We have never had a problem with the size of the room. We usually split our time between parks and hotel. This year I will say, will be our first year at POP with the FIVE of us so we may be outgrowing it, but we will see.

HTH--Good Luck with your decision making!
kevingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
thomas998
DIS Veteran

With a kids that young you really have only 2 good options... if money is no object stay at a monorail resort. If money is a constraint then stay off sight. The only benefit of staying at a disney resort beyond the convience of a monorail is to get the perks like extra magic hours... With a 18 month old you won't be staying till midnight or getting up super early.. the 18 month old will need more rest and driving to offsite is just as easy as a disney resort... not to mention you can find offsite suites for the price of a disney value resort.. they would have a pool and allow your littlest one to nap in one room while everyone else made noise in another.
thomas998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
buzz1fan
I Can't wait to be back!

I am kinda in the same boat. When we go our kids will be 5 and 27 months. I would definatly stay on site. I think it is easier to get to meals and stuff. Plus I like the idea of staying on site, and not having to drive anywhere.

We are thinking for the WL or a moderate. I want to stay at the Poly, but unless I get a discount, we wont be able to swing it. We have stayed at Poly, ASMovies, and Pop.
buzz1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Fall1
DIS Veteran

Same boat here too, we got a code and are currently booked at the BC, but are thinking of changing to the Poly, I'm so indecisive!!! Our kids will both be 17 months. Most people I've asked say that a monorail resort is best.
Oct 2004 GF/BC Honeymoon, Oct 2005 BC, May 2006 BC, Oct 2009 BCV (twins 1st trip!), Oct 2010 BCV, Feb 2011 AKV, Oct 2011 BCV, Dec 2011 AKV, Mar 2012 SSR, Nov 2012 BCV, Apr 2013 BCV, Oct 2013 SSR, Apr 2014 1st Disney Cruise!! & BCV
Upcoming December 2014 BCV & 1st Universal trip!
me DH DS 7 DD 7
Fall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
jillyb
DIS Veteran

We just had our first trip in June and we stayed at Pop. My DDs are 6 & 10.
They LOVED this resort. The rooms are small so if there's more than 4 people in the group it's going to be crowded! The food court was nice and the food was really good. Mousekeeping and CMs were all very nice and helpful. The buses from Pop go straight to the parks and don't make other stops like other resorts buses do. I can't tell you about those because we drove to the parks.

If you have small children and need a value resort, IMHO this is the best! We'll be staying there on subsequent visits.

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century

Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006
jillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

If you can afford one of the Monorail Resorts the best one is the Contemporary because they are the closest to the Magic Kingdom. So you have the walkway to and from there, plus it's the 1st stop on the Resort Monorail when leaving the Magic Kingdom. Finally when coming of a Disney bus from Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney they are 1st Resort the bus will stop at. So that could be a huge advantage when travelling with little kids.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
Vjale
Mouseketeer

I would recommend the monorail resorts. I stayed at both when my children were younger. Coming back to the room at the end of a long day is much easier with a tired child in a stroller that you can stroll right onto the monorail, and since you will probably spend most of your time at MK, the monorail would be a 5 minute ride to your room. Staying off the monorails with cranky, tired children and waiting for buses, and then having to fold the stroller up and hold a sweaty, sleepy child in your lap for the ride back to your hotel is not a lot of fun. If you stay at the Poly, you will have monorail access to both MK and epcot.
Vjale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Yes, I agree the monorail resorts are great for little kids due to the MK thing. But for other parks they don't give you a thing over any other resort. Each and every resort is close to something. I realize that MK is THE park for little kids but actually a lot of little kids love DHS and AK for all the offerings those parks have.

I think all WDW resorts have soemthing for everyone. Some of my general thoughts for the various resorts that are nice for toddlers are:

Poly: Monorail, zero entry pool, large rooms, nice beach are that is wonderful for viewing Wishes and the Water Pageant on nights the kids are too tired to stay at the park. I saw tons of kids in the their pj's sitting on mom or dad's lap enjoying Wishes, just a short distance from their room/bed. I think the beach at the Poly is the best place to see Wishes outside the parks, the angle is perfect.

Contemporary: easy walk to the MK, large rooms, the monorail whizzes in and out and Chef Mickey's is right there.

All Stars and Pop: Cheaper, tons of icons to grab their attention, lots of other families staying there too, and given the fact your kids are small, staying cheap while they are young and you don't need quite as much space (like double sinks for teenage girls ) can be nice. The food courts at all of the values are hands down some of the best places to feed kids.

Port Orleans French Quarter: Compact size, great pool for littler kids (the slide is great for younger kids in particular) and its first to be picked up and dropped off in the bus route when they share busses with POR.

SSR: Zero entry pool, very fun splash area, all rooms will at the very least have a microwave and mini kitchen, close to DTD and the Lego store, you can park right outside your unit which is wonderful if you drive, if you don't have a car, you are close to DTD so you can easily get to any resort on Disney property to dine, very nice store and counter service dining.

This is not to say I think these are the best resorts but those are some things that come to mind for me. Again, I think any WDW resort will have something for everyone.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #13
missycj96
DIS Veteran

Kids love the Pop Century. We've had DD2 at many disney resorts (Dolphin, SSR, Pop, GF, POFQ). I think she liked the POP the best. She loved playing in the sand at the Grand Floridian so that was a hit, too. But much of the theming and wonderful touches at the more expensive hotels are lost on little kids. At SSR, she loves the donald duck pop jet. Also, they have a play room for kids that she enjoyed.

When I choose the more expensive hotels, I am choosing them either for convenience or for the adults in the party, and because I want to spend time relaxing at the hotel. With the kids, it is very nice to spend time at the pool and at the hotel.

The POP is great for kids - and I personally think that having a good food court is important because little kids can't really sit through so many restaurants.

If you are going to be in the parks most of the day, go with the POP century, and maybe get a preferred room so that you'll definately be in a convenient location (note that some of the standard rooms are in more appealing water view locations, but if you book preferred, you'll be guaranteed convenience). Its cheap, the kids pool is a fantastic zero entry. The Goofy pop jet fountain will be a huge hit. There's even a nice playground. And with 2 little kids, the big food court is so important because kids just can't sit through all those restaurant meals. The more expensive hotels have smaller counter service/food court type places to eat while generally the less expensive resorts have the better food courts that have better selections. Also, the details of the pop appeal to kids - what kid doesn't like a big potato head or coloring with chalk on the driveway? So if you're in the parks most of the day anyway, I'd save the money and go with Pop.

We've struck a balance and for our longer summer trips we've been staying at POFQ (though this year we're going with POR).
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
bzzymom
DIS Veteran

Even traveling with kids, we still spend most of our time in the parks. We like to stay at POFQ for a mod and ASmovies for a value.

When we go in the Nov-Feb time, we pretty much stay in the parks, the hours are shorter, and the kids have napped comfortably in their stroller. However, when we go in Aug or Sept, we do go back to the room in the hearly afternoon to get the kids cooled off. The nice part about that is that the park is open later, and we still get lots of time in.
bzzymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
Alicnwondrln
DIS Veteran

I love the WL. My sons love the GF. I would stay in the MK area.
Alicnwondrln is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: