Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Xcited4Disney
DIS Veteran

L.L. Bean or Land's End? Who has the better bookbag?

Sorry, another back-to-school thread!

My daughter will be entering 4th grade this fall and is in need of a new bookbag. I'm looking for a wheeled backpack that is sturdy enough to endure rolling around and supporting heavy books. For 3rd grade I had to run out and buy a wheeled bag because she was bringing home so many books! I ended up getting one off of ebay from the Gap. By June, it had a hole in the bottom, one of the wheels was about to fall off, and the straps were almost rubbed off from friction.

I really hate the prices, but I've heard good things about these two brands. I'd rather pay a little more now, than have to replace the bag mid year. What are your thoughts?

I'm looking at:
LL Bean's Rolling Deluxe Book Pack http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...504621-tn&np=Y
and
Land's End's Classmate Wheel pack http://www.landsend.com/pp/ClassMate...&origin=index#
Xcited4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
clori
DIS Veteran

I've never used the wheeled backpacks but for the regular I think they are both great quality. We go with llbean since my my sil has there credit card we get free shipping and free monogramming. My oldest has a jr backback that was used for 2 years of preschool and one year of kindergarten and my youngest used the same bag her first year of preschool and will use it again next year.

I switched to a regular size bag for first grade and second grade and dd will be using it again for third grade. She walks 1/2 mile to/from school, leaves it on the playground etc and both look brand new. I do plan on getting new bags for when my youngest starts kindergarten so she can hav e her own initials on the bag.
2/04 Pop Century, 1/06 Pop Century 1/09 Pop Century
1/05 Disney Magic 1/09 Disney Wonder 7/13 Disneyland
clori is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
kinntj
DIS Veteran

I've used both now since the beginning of preschool for both girls. My DD is entering 1st grade and I just received the critter pack from LLBean.

I think they both hold up beautifully and they both replace backpacks if seam rips or zipper breaks. They do have different size front pockets and the Lands End bags (depending on size) comes with 2 water bottle holders with one on each side of the bag. I liked that when I used the bag for park days and was able to put 2 bottles of water on each side for each kid. Otherwise, not much different.

Lands End hardly has any cute designs on theirs. I did get lucky and ordered my DD4 a back pack last year that was purple with flowers on it and she loves it. I'm hoping she can use it through at least 2nd grade. She's on her 2nd year. LLBean has the critter packs and more designs I believe, so if that's important for your DD.

I don't know about the rolling backpacks, as my kids don't have so much to carry yet. I hope I helped a little. Good luck with your choices.

We're back from our June 2014 Aulani trip!

Currently reading: 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
2014 Book challenge: 12
Insurgent, Allegiant, Eat Sleep Move, Unbroken,
kinntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
seashellmom
Mouseketeer

We have used the rolling bag from llbean for 2 years and has no problems. Kids seem to like the llbean styles better, but the lands end have always held up well.
seashellmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
3DisneyGals&1Grumpy
Mouseketeer

I have always had very good luck with the LLBean backpacks. Both of my DDs still have their very 1st LLbean "little critters" backpacks from preschool that are still in perfect condition. They will still use them for car trips but they are too small and "babyish" for an 8 and 10 year old to take to school.

We moved on to the original backpacks. My oldest DD has been using the original rolling one for three years now and it has held up very well. It just has one worn spot one of the corners from her banging it around on curbs and stairs. I plan on upgrading her to the deluxe this school year only because she now has so many things to bring back and forth from school.

I would recommend paying for the monogramming and get her initials on it. LLBean is very popular at our school and there always seems to be another student with the same backpack as my daughter. Having initials on the backpack seems to help prevent mix ups.

3DisneyGals&1Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
GreatDaneMom
DIS Veteran

My DD has had rolling packs from both companies. Each of them has held up equally well. I would choose based on your preferences in styles, pockets, colors and price. We've never had a problem and she carries a lot of heavy books home every night. Her packs are as full as they can get and the zippers have held. Wheels have done good, too.
GreatDaneMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
ceecee
DIS Veteran

DD has the LLBean, but we aren't allowed rolling backpacks at her school, so it's just regular. Outstanding quality and the design is very cute. She can't use a backpack at middle school, just a book bag, the difference is?!!!
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Xcited4Disney
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm still on the fence but these replies help. I'm leaning more towards the LLBean although I wish it had the side mesh pockets. I have to think does she really need it or is it that I'm used to seeing that on bags?
Xcited4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

My ds10 has the llbean rolling, and it held up great - however, if you don't adjust the straps when you roll it, it will continue to roll over the straps, and rip them. This happened, and llbean echanged it for us. He had it packed every single day, and he walks to school, so it definately got a lot of use!

We have the landsend lunchboxes, and love those, too!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

My DD had the LLBEAN one. Rolling and it was in such great shape after 4th grade she wanted to use it again in 5th- but middle school wanted no wheels! So we got another LLBEAN one and it has held up great too!

The Rolling DELUXE has a water bottle holder on the inside if that is really important to you but it is a HUGE bag. Good luck and happy shopping
Oh and wanted to add that my son had a Landsend one Not wheeled that held up for 18 months- through his dragging it across the floor- So really you can't go wrong although I am going the LLBEAN route from now on with my 2 younger ones. I just felt like it was more sturdy and the wheels are great!(like rollerblade wheels)

Last edited by java; 07-09-2008 at 03:04 PM.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
sarahlovesmickey
I could probably make Shake N Bake from all the crumbs I have in my keyboard
My DH thinks I'm "Doing the Naughty" on the Budget Board

I was just talking to my mom about the great "backpack debate". I think I am going to go to LLBean and get my oldest an LLBean backpack. I have heard they hold up through a tornado, so that is the route we are going to go. LOL!!!

~~Sarah~Proud ARMY wife and mother of 5 (soon to be 6!) Disney lovers!!!!~~
-DH -me -Bailey(11) -Madelyn(9) -Logan(6) Carter (4) Isabella (2) - Emily
MARCH 1st-7th--DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-2nd HONEYMOON!

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
sarahlovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
My DD had the LLBEAN one. Rolling and it was in such great shape after 4th grade she wanted to use it again in 5th- but middle school wanted no wheels! So we got another LLBEAN one and it has held up great too!

The Rolling DELUXE has a water bottle holder on the inside if that is really important to you but it is a HUGE bag. Good luck and happy shopping
We have the same backpack. It is huge, but DD used every inch of it some days. (She was in fifth grade last year -- lots of text books, notebooks, etc.) It held up exceptionally well (through 1/2 of 4th grade and all of 5th). It still looks brand new. The problem now is, it's not cool anymore. So this year she got a messenger bag-style, but I know my DD, she'll be begging for that rolling backpack once the school year starts!

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

I had LL Bean backpacks 6-12, and they held up great. I love LL Bean anyway, though. It might just be me, but I feel like Lands end quality has gone downhill since they started being sold at Sears. That said, either have a guarantee, so you can't go too far wrong,
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Hedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #14
tinytink
DIS Veteran

We have backpacks from both LL and LE and I personally like the LandsEnd backpack better because they are more comfortable to carry. The straps are super comfortable and they have held up the same and carry the same guarantee so it you are not missing out on one or the other.
2006 Castaway Cay Double Dip
2004 DCL Eastern Caribbean's First Trip to Antigua
tinytink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
mousecrazy
Mouseketeer

For those who have the LL Bean rolling backpack, do the straps drag when it's being rolled? Is there a place for them to be stored? Must you adjust the straps to a shorter position to roll? TIA.
mousecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: