Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

Shhh...it's a surprise/Lies all Lies...day 4 added 10/10

Team Theobald is headed back to the World in September, 2008 to take advantage of Free Dining, and hopefully surprise our three kiddo's!
Here is a pic from our last pic which was in April of 2007, it was our first trip to stay onsite, our first trip with TourGuideMike, our first trip as a family without an infant along...and it was amazing, so amazing that as I came towards the end of our trip report I was unable to finish it...I guess you can call it post disney depression!

[IMG][/IMG]

Cast of Characters: Me: Mother of 3, Full time student, I work part time at Home Depot, as well as teaching Continuing Ed classes at the Universities, as well as teaching Arts and Crafts camps for kids. Some of my best memories as a child were Disney memories, and now some of my best Mom memories are Disney memories.

DH: As a child he had been to Disney Land once or twice, but didn't really love it. He did however love Disney movies, and Disney in general so I knew there was hope. Anyways Dh is a great dad and husband, and works just as hard as I do to balance our family schedule. (I ll explain in a little bit in the back story)

Kiddo's: Ethan (will be 8 in August), Aiden ( will be 7 in September) and Aly (will be 5 in October) all are disney fanatics, and love to try anything!
Backstory: When Ethan was about 2 months old we planned a trip to WDW for the following year, we had the timeshare booked, everything planned but had not yet purchased airfare...and I found out Aiden was on the way, and due the same week as our trip. So what did we do, move it back a month...yep seemed logical to us...but everyone else thought we were nuts.

So Aiden came 2 weeks early, and luckily I didn't have to have a c-section (like with my first) and so we were all set to go. Knowing that we had a 13 month old and a 6 week old, I knew commando park touring was out of the question...so for this trip we did one day at Animal Kingdom, and then did other area attractions, but spent alot of time at the resort (the vistana) just relaxing...so I know all of you dis'ers are thinking one day what a waste...but it served it's purpose, DH was bitten by the Disney bug...and fell in love with the World.

2 years later we couldn't stand it anymore...it was time to go back, and I was pregnant again. So we planned a trip 6 weeks after my due date for thanksgiving, same timeshare...this time we did MK and AK...and we had a great time.

Then in April of 2007 we returned, no babies anymore, my daughter(the youngest) was 3 and potty trained...and we stayed onsite, did the DDP and had an amazing time..the only downer was that my inlaws joined us for a few days and it was hard to manage two extra adults and go the pace we wanted!

So after April we knew we wanted to go back...but weren't planning to do so until 2009. Last year we gave the kids a choice for their birthdays we could have a birthday party for each one of them...or we could go on a trip as a family...they choose the trip, and to celebrate each birthday at home with family. Last year we went camping. This year we gave them the same choice, they once again choose a trip...so we told them we would go to Dallas for a weekend and spend one night at the Great Wolf Lodge...so that was the plan for September...until I saw the free dining promotion.

So I put in some dates just to see what it would be, and found that we could do POR, free dining, and base tickets for $1696. So in passing I say to my hubby..we could do disney for around $1500 ... much to my surprise he says lets do it, and lets make it a surprise for the kids!

So here we are... I ve signed us up for TGM again, I ve made some ADR's, and I m hoping to score tickets to MNSSHP.

Our Basic Plan:
Sept. 9 : leaving home ASAP, and driving as far as we can
Sept. 10: arriving at Disney ASAP, checkin and store our stuff and head to AK... this day we are celebrating DH & I's anniversary which is 9/11 We have ADR's at Ohana....late but I m going to see if I can get earlier.
Sept 11: This day is Aiden's day and his unbirthday...we are going to MGM and have ADR's at Sci-Fi
Sept 12: This day is Aly's day and her unbirthday...we are headed to MK and to the party that night. No ADR's ( I had one at LTT but we decided to cancel and enjoy the party)
Sept 13: THis is Ethan's day and his unbirthday...we are headed to Epcot and have ADR's for lunch at Raglan Road and at Les Chefs de France for dinner.
Sept 14: we will be sad and head home.

Last edited by amytheobald; 10-10-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

So my current obsession is figuring out plans for Epcot ( we didn't manage it well last time, and missed alot of stuff)...and figuring out a way to reveal it to the kids and how to keep it a secret until then...I m so excited I don't know how I ll keep quiet
[/IMG]

Who can not be excited...with this kinda magic to look forward to! My other obsession is figuring out shirts for our trip...last trip I did custom tee's thanks to the amazing people on the creative board, and the days we didn't have matching tee's we matched colors...and I want to do it again...I know alot of people think I m crazy, but it looks so good in pics, and it gets you noticed by the CM's which is fun for the kids, and how much longer will my kids let me dress them? So far I ve came up with one design...

[/IMG]
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
shaunaday
Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to get out there and dance in the rain!

Ohhhhh...I would totally spill the beans. I can't keep secrets and even if I could it, my enthusiam for Disney would totally tell on me.

Good luck to you, though, with the surprising the kidlets.

By they way, those are some cutie pie kids you have there. I gotta know how you got them to carry their own bags in the parks and if you would do it again. I am the "bag holder" (got a Bagalini or however you spell it) and I am beginning to wonder if I really want to be the one carrying everyone's stuff all day.

Anyway...I am in!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunaday View Post
Ohhhhh...I would totally spill the beans. I can't keep secrets and even if I could it, my enthusiam for Disney would totally tell on me.

Good luck to you, though, with the surprising the kidlets.

By they way, those are some cutie pie kids you have there. I gotta know how you got them to carry their own bags in the parks and if you would do it again. I am the "bag holder" (got a Bagalini or however you spell it) and I am beginning to wonder if I really want to be the one carrying everyone's stuff all day.

Anyway...I am in!
Thanks...ok so the bag deal, I LOVE having them carry their own bags! Those bags are actually hydration packs too, and I loved that they had access to cold water the whole time we were in the parks, I also stowed two snacks in each (those 100 calorie packs), and in the very front pocket I put their autograph books and pens...the key I believe is that they latched at the chest and around the waist, and were small enough that they didn't have to remove them for rides, so they stayed on pretty much all day! They drank lots of small drinks all day, so no one got grumpy from dehydration, and I am one of those Mom's who makes everyone pee at the same time whether they have to or not(just call me the pee nazi)...so that wasn't an issue! DH and I shared a bag, and I made him carry it I had planned to carry nothing but I ended up with a small bag to hold tickets, maps and camera!

I ve read all about the bagalini, but have never looked at one ... maybe for this trip!

Our 2008 Surprise trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1877486
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
DISNEYmooner2008
Mommy to a Princess

I'm in!!! Your kids are SOOO cute
February 2010 - Grandparent's first trip - Animal Kingdom Villas
January 2011 - 4 day Bahama's DCL/4 days @ Beach Club

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/3va2qfx45nwaimr5.png[/img]

February 2010 Pre-Trippie
Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
sherreis
DIS Veteran

Count me in! Your 3 kiddos are adorable and look like they have lots of fun together.

We're surprising our boys (8 and 13) in October and I look forward to hearing how it all goes.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherreis View Post
Count me in! Your 3 kiddos are adorable and look like they have lots of fun together.

We're surprising our boys (8 and 13) in October and I look forward to hearing how it all goes.
I m hoping well! I m trying to figure out how to reveal it to them...How are you planning to reveal it?

Our 2008 Surprise trip!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

ADR's

Sept 10 (we are celebrating Hubby and I's anniversary) Ohana 9:40pm (this was all they had, I will try to move it up, or we will be there to watch fireworks and water pagent from the beach early so we may hope to be seated early...or we'll eat late whatever...it's vacation!)

Sept 11 Sci Fi 4:30 (yep it's early)

Sept 12 all counterservice this day...taking in the Halloween party at night..I do have Liberty Tree Res' at 7:35 but I think I ll cancel them and enjoy the party!

Sept 13 Raglan Road for Lunch
Les Chefs De France for Dinner

...... Wish we were staying for 7-10 days, but I ll take anytime at Disney!

Our 2008 Surprise trip!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
sherreis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytheobald View Post
I m hoping well! I m trying to figure out how to reveal it to them...How are you planning to reveal it?
We're going to pull them out of school early on 10/15 and just drive to the airport not telling them where we're going. We haven't quite figured out what we're going to tell them why they left school - maybe, an appointment with a new doctor or something like that? When we get to the airport parking area we'll tell them they are going on vacation but not tell them where (won't let them see the luggage tags). When we get to the gate, they'll find out they are going to Orlando and we'll tell them we're going to visit my aunt and uncle and they will believe that cause that's what we did last July - no parks that trip - just DTD once. When we get to MCO, they'll find out where they are going when we get to the ME counter (they won't know what that is cause our last trip to WDW we drove)! I hope we're able to pull it off. And, of course, they will get to see my aunt and uncle while we're there - there going to be meeting us for dinner on Saturday night which is why I need to cancel our Chef Mickey ADR.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

Ok, so the kids still don't know...and they keep telling people, we're going to Dallas in the fall to the Great Wolf Lodge...in a way I m hoping their not mad that they aren't getting a day in a waterpark, but at the same time this is disney...how can they be mad, right?

We got Disney paperwork in the mail the other day and I did a little dance, Aiden my 6 year old says "Mom, what's that" I said "Oh just an ad from Disney" he said "Why are you dancing?" I said " I love being on Mickey's mailing list" he says "Your so weird, we don't even get to go back until 2009"

Right now I m kinda at a stand still, I did get glow sticks the other day on sale, but otherwise I need to get through the next few weeks at work, and get the kids school stuff together so that I can start getting disney ready too!

[IMG][/IMG]

This is Ethan last year so excited about the eiffel tower...he and Aiden attend a French School, so he loved going into France and speaking French with the CM's. That's why this year his Unbirthday will be in Epcot, and we will eat at Les Chefs.

Our 2008 Surprise trip!
Old 07-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

I just made an ADR for Crystal Palace on our MK day...for lunch at 12:55, so really that puts me one table service over. I just was feeling bad because we had NO character dining for the entire trip, and I want the kids to at least get to do one.

So this is what I have right now...

Sept 10th (Our arrival day) O'hana at 9:45pm (this is all they had)

Sept 11th (Aidens day at MGM) Sci Fi at 4:15pm

Sept 12th (Aly's MK day) Crystal Palace at 12:55, halloween party that night

Sept 13th (Ethan's Epcot Day) Raglan rd for lunch and Les Chefs for dinner.

So all you amazing experts, should I drop Raglan Rd? or should I go out of pocket for one meal... I was thinking maybe DH and I could split a meal at Sci-Fi and pay the kids oop for Sci-Fi, and then use partial dining credits, partial oop for Crystal palace? any advice greatly appreciated!

Our 2008 Surprise trip!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

So what's our Excuse for this spur of the moment Disney Holiday?

Being a full time student, having two jobs, and having 3 kids makes us a super busy family. For the last two years (until a month ago) I worked every weekend as well. I teach art camps during the summer for kids, as well as teach computer classes at the college, as well as working on the freight team from 4am-8am every weekday...and that's just during the summer, during the school year I do all that plus school for me and next semester I m taking 17 hours.

In December we lost my Godfather, (who was also my Uncle and also my Children's Godfather) unexpectantly...he was 49, always the life of every event, and he sat down in his recliner to take a nap, and never woke up. The last few years of his life he spent at work...because only 4 more and he could retire and he would have all the time in the world with his wife. I guess you could say I always knew life was short, but now I believe life is short...so I m all about spending great time with my kids, doing what we can together because they are only going to be little for so long, and it seems like yesterday that they were infants.

This is a celebration trip for us, Celebrating 9 years of DH and I being married( 09/11/99, Each kiddo's Birthday (they are in August, September, and October) and the "we are still a family, and we're making it even though it's rough right now." I have 3 more semesters to get my Bachelors and then 4 to get my Masters...so 4 more years...but our life can not stop just because I am in school!

So that's our excuse for taking up Disney on Free dining!

Our 2008 Surprise trip!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #13
sherreis
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great excuse to me! Sounds like our reason as well. My mother died in March of last year and she was everything to me - my mother, my father, and my best friend in one as my father died when I was 4. Five months later, DH was diagnosed with kidney cancer and has been in the hospital 4 times but is FINE now. Our kids have dealt with a lot in the past year and a half and have been wonderful through it all. The trip is a "we're thankful everything is fine trip" and "let's have some family fun time." Our boys know that DH doesn't have vacation time left after missing so much time from work so they are aware there is no vacation for them this year.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #14
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

So I ve been actively obsessing over our shirts..you see the last time we went, we had quite a few days of matching shirts, and I made alot of them with the help from the Creative DISigners! So last trip we had a shirt like this....

[IMG][/IMG]

but I wanted it to be a little different...so this is what one of the ladies helped me create...

[/IMG]

We will be in AK for our first day!

Our 2008 Surprise trip!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherreis View Post
Sounds like a great excuse to me! Sounds like our reason as well. My mother died in March of last year and she was everything to me - my mother, my father, and my best friend in one as my father died when I was 4. Five months later, DH was diagnosed with kidney cancer and has been in the hospital 4 times but is FINE now. Our kids have dealt with a lot in the past year and a half and have been wonderful through it all. The trip is a "we're thankful everything is fine trip" and "let's have some family fun time." Our boys know that DH doesn't have vacation time left after missing so much time from work so they are aware there is no vacation for them this year.
I think it's so important to schedule time away from the real world to enjoy your family!!! I am so glad your husband is fine now, what a scary time for ya'll!

Our 2008 Surprise trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: