Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #76
mplsmom1
Mouseketeer

Hoping for more updates!!

Oct '08 - AsMo
Apr '04 - AsSp
Nov '01 - AsMo
Oct '99 - AsMo
Old 08-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #77
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

A day at Disney's Hollywood Studios was planned for today so we were up and about getting organised to go. Dad had gone into the garage to hang up some washing to dry when he came in and announced that there was another snake! This one looked the same as the last one but was a bit smaller. It was curled up in the corner of the garage where the door was. Enough was enough and we decided to call the management company. We explained the story and that we had seen one a few days ago outside and that we thought it was a cottonmouth. They said to stay out of the garage and they would send someone over. In the meantime Dad had been in the garage and put a bucket over it!!!!

A really nice guy from the management company came round and looked at the photos we had taken of the previous snake and confirmed that it was a cottonmouth or water moccasin as we had thought. He said the juvenile ones are very aggressive and he hates dealing with them as they can't control their venom very well. Adult ones inject just enough as is needed whereas the juvenile just empty their venom sacks completely which made us feel great about the fact that one was eyeing up DE's leg the other night.

He opened the garage door and kicked the bucket down the drive so the snake landed on the driveway.

Now sorry to any snake lovers out there - look away now......................

He then got his spade and chopped it up! Must admit to being quite glad. He picked it all up and washed it down and went on his way. They said they would send someone in to block up the hole in the garage door and to check round the outside for others! Makes you really nervous and the amount of snake checking that was done for the rest of the trip was ridiculous!

Thankfully no more were spotted!

Here is Mr Hiss!

So much for our early start! It was late morning before we eventually left the villa. With DE dressed in her East High Cheerleading outfit we made our way to Hollywood Studios. As we arrived the High School Musical show was about to start so we got a good spot and waited. DE was in her element and sang and danced through it. She did get picked by the cheerleader to do the limbo and of course was able to dance with the other kids at the end.

We tried to get fast passes for Toy Story Mania but the return time was not till later that night and we would not be staying in the park that long which was a shame. We did however go to the Beauty and Beast show which DE loved so much the last time we went. DK also enjoyed it and even managed not to be scared of the Beast. My enjoyment was marred however by the teenage boy sitting next to me who spent the whole show spitting on the ground. Totally disgusting and actually was turning my stomach. Of course his parents said nothing about it.

When we came out of that show we met up with DH and Dad who had gone to have a wander round - Beauty and the Beast is not really their thing!!!! We missed the parade as people were hungry (can you tell that I would have preferred to see the parade but was outvoted??!!) People were tired and rain was on the horizon so we decided to leave for the day. A short but sweet visit. We were coming back to this park so decided to do the rest when we returned later in the trip.

Mum and Dad only have another full day after this one so we went home, had a swim and something to eat and got the kids to bed early. Mum and Dad packed their bags for their return journey as we have a busy day and night planned for tomorrow. Mum starting to get upset about going home. DH and I had a trip out shopping while we can still go out without the girls – who are not such patient shoppers!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #78
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Mum and Dad’s last full day

Epcot was the park of choice today. We still had things we wanted to do and also Dad was very keen to ride Soarin again.

We went straight to Soarin for fast passes and then to Test Track as this is another of our families favourites. I took a little video of the fast part of test track which was funny – lots of squeals. DK was desperate to go in aswell and even stood under the height chart but as you can see she was well below the limit!!!!! DK took a shine to the Hummer and was happy playing in the exit area.

When we had all rode we made our way to the Living Seas with Nemo and Friends. It was our first time on the clam shells and I loved it. How on earth do they get the animation to appear so clearly in the water? Very clever. A lovely vibrant ride. A real highlight for me. I love coming off a ride wondering how they did something. It is so realistic. Both girls loved looking at the fish and seahorses in the small tanks. A cast member was feeding the angler fish and it was amazing to see how quickly they snap up the food. After the obligatory snap inside Bruce’s mouth for DE – DK screaming as I don’t think she realised he was plastic! – and a quick look round we made our way to the Land.

This time DH, DE and I rode Soarin first while Granny and Grandad took DK to Sunshine Seasons to get something to eat. We were in the front row which was my first time and it was even more enjoyable than usual. A swap with my parents and we had something to eat. I was impressed by this place – I thought the choice was great compared to other places. DK however took exception to the fact that Granny had gone off and left her so screamed for about 20 mins. It was embarrassing. It was like I had kidnapped her and she didn’t know me! I am sure people around me were thinking I must a really bad mummy! She finally calmed down but I was a nervous wreck by then!

As usual there was a bit of last minute shopping to be done. DH also wanted to get some polo shirts form the Lacoste shop so we made a quick visit to Mall at Millenia. Cue Grandad and DE complaining very loudly about shopping – after about 2 mins. We only had 2 shops to go into. You would have thought he was the 6 year old. We got some cheesecake to take away from the Cheesecake Factory…. Yummy!.... and headed back to eat it!!!!!

We all freshened up and got dressed to go to the Grand Floridian. Its tradition to do something really nice on the last night and it usually ends up at the MK! Tonight we have bookings for the Cinderella’s Gala Feast at the Grand Floridian. We parked at the GF and got there with time to spare. We got our pager and sat in the lobby to wait for it to light up. DE used DK’s wand to magic it into lighting up and eventually that worked!!! We got seated and not long after that the characters started to come out. I should also say that the food here was terrific. Last time I was here I had a urinary tract infection and had only just got the antibiotic so managed to eat nothing and spent the time in the toilet! So I was super glad to be eating the food!!!! The choice was great and we ordered the cups for the girls with the light up tinkerbell which they loved. I saw a woman with a cocktail with a flashing ice cube in it too late to have one myself (although I did find these in the World of Disney shop and brought some home!!).

The character there were Prince Charming (and very charming he was too!!), Cinderella (of course!), Lade Tremaine (very good at playing the part – I think she scared a lot of the men!), and the 2 step sisters (again very good at acting the part). The quality of the characters made it really quite special. The step sisters and Lady Tremaine bounced off each other constantly and I’ll never forget their “interesting” rendition of Sing Sweet Nightingale!!!!

Then it was on the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. We found a great spot for Spectromagic just as it enters Main Street USA. DK especially loved this parade and waved to all the characters. DE also enjoyed it and got to do a bit of hula-hooping before it started. As it finished we did a sprint through the shops and got a great spot for Wishes right in front of castle – just to the right where the little river is. We love it from here as noone is in front of you. Its quiet too as the parade is still not finished at that spot so everyone is still watching the parade.

Wishes of course was amazing. I had forgotten to bring cotton wool for the girls ears so nipped into the First Aid to ask for some. They gave me proper ear plugs for them to wear which were great. They are soooo nice in there. So DE and DK had their ear plugs in and DE was very nervous but she loved the sparkles – just hates the noise. DK loved it too but fell asleep on my shoulder just before the end. She was obviously not bothered by the noise!!!

So the end of a perfect night. We make our way out and queue for the boat back to the Grand Floridian to get our car. The boat ride is a great way to end the night. As we sailed over the Electrical Water pageant was on and it is really pretty. The GF also looks amazing all lit up and we slowly walked back to the car.

Granny very sad about going home. Serious tears on the way for tomorrow!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #79
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying your TR! I'm sad just reading about your Mum and Dad going home.

The whole snake thing would have me so freaked out I wouldn't be able to sleep!

All of your pics are great, especially the girls dressed up for High School Musical.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #80
irky416
DIS Veteran

to the snake. I would have been freaking out.

The HSM outfit is cute!

I want to meet the Stepsisters and stepmother! Everyone says they're so funny!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #81
manntra
DIS Veteran

Yes...I want to meet the stepsisters and stepmother too! They look great! And that snake...ooohhh I hope that is all we will be hearing from them! Yuck!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #82
WDW Fan
Mouseketeer

Just got caught up with your TR and it sounds like you're having a great time! The girls looked adorable in their costumes and your older daughter looked so cute after her appt. with BBB! Sea World looked like a lot of fun and your dinner at the CG looked delicious and so magical. That is our favorite spot to have dinner at WDW. The view is like none other and we just love when they pipe the music from Wishes in during dinner. That snake would have had me freaking out! I've heard there are snakes in Florida but I've personally never seen one and that would have had me running for the hills. Hurry back with more.

Last edited by WDW Fan; 08-18-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #83
mplsmom1
Mouseketeer

Great updates - I also love Wishes. Thanks for the updates!

Oct '08 - AsMo
Apr '04 - AsSp
Nov '01 - AsMo
Oct '99 - AsMo
Old 08-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #84
Dr_Finkelstein
DIS Veteran

Hi there,
Caught your post on another TR and it caught my eye as I'm from Scotland too...always nice to catch up with a fellow Scot!
Your TR is great and your girls are lovely. You sound like you had a fab time - although the snake !!!!!! I would have been too scared to move - I hate snakes!!!
The photos of the dinner at 1900 PF were great - we went last trip but the step sister and step mother weren't part of it, it was two of the mice. Though the Prince was pretty tasty!
Quote:
DE was being awkward and saying she didn’t want to see it as she thought it was going to be too scary. I must admit to being pretty annoyed with her this morning as all she was willing to do without a fuss is what she wanted to do. We had a little discussion about how everyone is on holiday and she has to play the game a little bit.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who has these talks, they're a regular occurence with my kids!
Can't wait to read more!
Bye
Diane x

1999 offsite, 2004 offsite, 2006 POP, 2008 POFQ, 2010 WL & OKW

Last edited by Dr_Finkelstein; 08-15-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #85
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

I'm loving your report! Your girls are adorable! the youngest in her tinkerbelle costume is one of the cutest things I've ever seen!

If I had to deal with snakes outside my room I would be a neurotic mess!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #86
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Granny and Grandad’s leaving day.

Well today is not a happy day as it is the day that Granny and Grandad go home. They have been here for 2 weeks now and have had an amazing time. They had a great few days on their own before we arrived and they both agree it has been the best holiday they have ever had. However, I am sure they could easily stay for another week with us.

We started the day in the pool – splashing around and having a great time. Granny and Grandad packed the last of their stuff and enjoyed their last morning.

At lunchtime we went to DownTown Disney as Granny wanted a last look round the World of Disney store. She spent the last of her dollars and got the girls a lovely present each. Lunch was from the Earl of Sandwich which was great. Never eaten there before but would totally recommend it. I had a chicken Caesar wrap and it was lovely and fresh.

So with heavy hearts we made our way to the airport. We did a drop off and we were getting a bit emotional. Mum was in tears which was making me feel like having a cry. Silly really as we would be home in a week – but I think that Mum would have loved to stay longer. She loves seeing the girls enjoy their holiday and sharing the different experiences with them. Anyway – all that done and lots of joking in the car to make the girls smile we went to the Florida Mall to spoil them a little.

DE decided that she would love to have her ears pierced. She wavered a bit when she thought of the process but I left it up to her and she went ahead. She chose really small studs which actually look lovely on her. She thinks they are diamonds!!! I’m not going to spoil it by telling her they are not! She was going to do it on her 7th birthday in September but I suppose she can always say she got her ears pierced in the States. We spent too much money in the Mall but did enjoy it!!!! I spent ages in Sephora buying Benefit make up as it was half the price of what it is here. Also I found a shop which sold Pandora charms for my bracelet so i bought a couple of lovely charms. Before leaving we had a bite to eat. I had been looking forward to this as last time I had Bourbon Chicken in the Florida Mall and it was so tasty. I had some again and it was just as I remembered it. Mmmmmmmmmmmm !

We had a deadline to get home by! Camp Rock was premiering on the Disney Channel and DE was desperate to see it. She got on the sofa with a quilt and pillow – very cosy – and a snack and a drink and watched her film. She loved it and also very excited as it is not out yet at home. They have just started to advertise it here – but just says coming soon. The date for premiere here is the 19th September.

So the end of the day was great but we did have a thought for Granny and Grandad flying across the Atlantic to a rainy and cold Scotland. Not a nice thought. Yup – cold. We have not yet had our summer – we are waiting with lots of hope though. Last year it passed by with very few nice days – hoping for better this year. I had 5 weeks unpaid leave planned to cover the school holidays and last year all it did was rain. And this year? A few nice days but mostly rotten weather. Typical.

Tomorrow was DE’s choice of where to go. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out where we went…… !!!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #87
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

You guessed it – the Magic Kingdom again!!! For some reason everyone seems happiest in the Magic Kingdom. It will always be my favourite park and think the girls love it best too. There is just so much to see and do.

We started this time in Adventureland while DH got fast passes for Space Mountain. We rode the Flying Carpets of Aladdin which was great fun. There was no queue and so when we were done DH had arrived and took DE on for another ride. We went to Jungle Cruise and our skipper was very good. Love the corniness of this ride.

I am sure this will be no surprise but we had another ride (or two!) on the Carousel and then a play in the Hundred Acre Wood playground. The girls loved it here – a good chance to run off some energy. They especially loved ringing Pooh’s bell!!! DH went off to get some ice cream and the girls spotted Darby, Pooh and Tigger coming their way. We got in line and the girls had pictures with them. DH came back just in time and we all sat and shared some ice cream.

Into ToonTown after that and the rain started very lightly. DE and I were in the line for the Barnstormer but as we got to the front it was closed due to lightening. Sure enough it did get very heavy so we hid for a while in the shop. We had a wander through Mickey’s House and then thought we would wait to meet him. No luck – the line was horrendous. The rain was letting up anyway so we decided not to wait.

Then it was time for Space Mountain. It would be DE’s first time – she was too small the last time. Off she went with Daddy full of excitement. She hated it! Totally!!! Tears and everything when she came out. Not good! I rode by myself and actually could see why. It is very jerky. Lesson learned!

DK loved riding the Tomorrowland Transit Authority and when we went through space mountain we actually saw DH and DE getting in their rocket. She looked fine at that point!

Today was the day too that DE started to trade her pins properly. My Aunt had bought her a lanyard and some pins to go on it but she was not keen to trade them. After trading one she was a kid on a mission and decided which set she wanted to collect. I think that it is a great idea for kids. DE traded only with cast members and she loved it. It is such a good idea. Kids know they can approach them and ask them to swap. A CM at a pin trading stall gave her a Sharing the Magic pin as a gift which had Tinkerbell on it. She in return gave her a special Scotland Flag pin she had brought to give to CMs who were especially helpful or kind. The CM loved her gift so everyone left happy. Of course she ended up persuading DH to buy her some extra ones!!! We have mounted them in a frame now to put on her wall. A great way to display them when you get home.

We did bits and bobs and then headed out. We were able to ride in the front of the monorail as the monorail was so very quiet. Howevere by this stage it was rainging and you couldn’t see a thing out of the window. Those things should have window wipers!!!!! It was odd watching the girl drive not being able to see. She assured me it was done by computer so it was fine.

The plan was to return to DownTown Disney tonight to let DE take part in the dancing. The DJ had started when we got there but there was plenty of seats. We got ourselves settled and DE joined in. Both DH and I were dragged up at some point and even DK threw a few shapes on the dancefloor!!!!!! It was a great night – we all enjoyed it. Of course we could not leave without a few rides on the Carousel!!!!!! (do you see a theme here??!!) and DK insisted on having her pics taken with the plastic characters in the pin shop while DH and DE looked at the pins.

DE in the green dress.

Now this will probably come as a shock to anyone in the US reading this. We had never eaten a pretzel!!!!!!! So tonight was the night. I had tried little hard pretzel type things at home (yuk!) but not these huge round soft things. We bought one with cinnamon sugar on it. It was amazing!!!! We all fought over it!!!! How had we never tried one before????? Not too good for the waistline mind you! A new obsession is born!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #88
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Great updates! Magic Kingdom is becoming my favorite park also.

I bet that was sad leaving your parents at the airport. I know I would be teary-eyed also.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
Old 08-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #89
Dr_Finkelstein
DIS Veteran

Hi Scotsminnie,
Good to see more updates!
Really enjoying reading them! Sounds like a great trip!

Di x

1999 offsite, 2004 offsite, 2006 POP, 2008 POFQ, 2010 WL & OKW
Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #90
irky416
DIS Veteran

Cute updates!

I love Magic Kingdom also! I'm glad you enjoyed your first ever soft pretzel. A cinnamon one was a good choice!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: