Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
D,L and K's Mom
D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!
"Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful" ~ Annette Funicello~
You've been dazed and confused for too long!

Sixpence poem for bride's shoe?

Does anyone know the poem that is for the bride about having a sixpence in her shoe. I know the

Something old,
Something blue
and a sixpence in her shoe

one, but I used to have another longer one about it.I may be remembering wrong and it may be a penny or a shilling but the poem was longer.
Anyone?????
D,L and K's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Laura
Wonders if the Tag Fairy takes requests?
Vegetarians unite!
Only uses the "best rigging"

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a sixpence for her shoe."

That's the only one I know.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue and... a Lucky Sixpence in her Shoe!

A Sixpence in her Shoe
Of course brides marry for love, but what bride wouldn't want to beckon in wealth and prosperity on their wedding day? Well, now you can, by reviving a little known tradition popular in Victorian times. When it comes to weddings, we all know a bride needs "something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue," but how many of you know the last line "and a sixpence in her shoe?" It's true. The sixpence was introduced into nuptial rituals in sixteenth century England as a sign of wealth and prosperity. Traditionally the father of the bride places the sixpence in the left foot shoe just before the wedding to bring her financial luck in marriage. Unfortunately, this rare coin went out of mint about forty years ago, thus accounting for its lack of popularity within most wedding ceremonies. But now, this antique token is back and brides have the opportunity to complete the last sacrament of this age-old adage. Each sixpence purchased will be packaged along side a sentimental card that can be kept in a wedding album or handed down through generations. Remember, something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue simply isn't enough anymore. Purchase a sixpence to fulfill the tradition and seal the prosperity of your marriage!
veraletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
froglady
DIS Veteran
Webbed feet can be a good thing

When I learned it, it had already been "Americanized" to say and a lucky penny for her shoe. I decided that a penny minted in each of our birth years would be lucky, so that's what I "wore."

We're going on 32 years of marriage, so it didn't hurt any.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

My MIL gave me the sixpence that she had used on her wedding day along with the poem and a personal note written in calligraphy.

I framed it and put the sixpence in it for now and have it hung with my wedding pictures. I will pass it on to my daughters when the time comes.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: