Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





View Poll Results: What is your favorite Walt Disney World park?
EPCOT 4 13.79%
Hollywood Studios 1 3.45%
Magic Kingdom 24 82.76%
Animal Kingdom 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #16
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH
 
Iluvmickeymouse!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 612

I want to reassure you guys that ths trip is for your WHOLE family. Yes, it is a specific child's wish, but NOBODY will feel left out. Read LeeLee's report... and 5dwarves report....ALL their kids got special treatment. Gifts at GKTW....all your kids will get some, not just the wish child. Treatment at the parks....they will not single out just the wish child, the entire family gets the royal treatment.

And....it's ok to cry....now....you won't hve time when you are there! JK...there will definitely be times when you will be gushing.
Iluvmickeymouse! is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...
 
GoofyDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 340

Our Itinerary

OK, so I thought I would post my ideas for our itinerary. Any and all comments, thoughts, and suggestions are welcome. You know I love great tips!!

TUESDAY, 7/29
Leave our airport at 7:20am and arrive in Orlando at 10:45am
Get checked in at GKTW & hang out there for the afternoon and evening
(*side note: this is Nickelodeon Night, and I would LOVE it if they featured a SpongeBob character...but I have a feeling this night is geared toward younger children and characters such as Blue, Dora, etc. We'll see!)

WEDNESDAY, 7/30
Magic Kingdom!!! This will be a long day. I want to stay as long as the family can handle it.

THURSDAY, 7/31
US Islands of Adventure!! We are looking forward to this park. I do want to spend a full day here, although many say you can do both US parks in one day. We'll see about that, but I know one thing: I do NOT want to jeopardize getting back in time for Christmas/Winter Wonderland at GKTW that evening!!! If we happen to be able to get both US parks in on this day, then great--that will leave us more extra time for later.

FRIDAY, 8/1
EPCOT in the morning; Hollywood Studios in the afternoon!! I hope we can fit everything in. I'm worried about this. I am hearing everyone's advise right now telling me to just accept that we can't do everything on our list....but still, we have our must-dos. I hope I've made the right decision for us regarding which parks to do in half-day periods. I know we won't get back in time for the Pirates & Princesses Party at GKTW, and I'm mad about it!!

SATURDAY, 8/2
Universal Studios in the a.m. (just long enough to do the must-dos there, one of which is the Nickelodeon thingy since we have to meet SpongeBob, you know!!); SeaWorld in the p.m. We live in Texas and have done SeaWorld in San Antonio and loved it. I was actually pleasantly surprised to read that SeaWorld Orlando does NOT have an adjoining waterpark included in admission as does SeaWorld San Antonio. That will make things go more quickly for us!! Ha!! Don't expect me to say that if we ever pay for the tickets ourselves! We might make it back for Mayor Clayton's birthday party, but I doubt it. You never know, though.

SUNDAY, 8/3
Animal Kingdom!! My husband is really excited about this park. It sounds hot to me, although I do love animals. I just don't know how much I love them during the highly humid, extreme heat in August. I'm a Texas girl, but still. But we'll have our dorky neck-coolers on. Well, all of us will except for my husband, who will be making fun of us dorks. My kids--all four of them--have always loved playing CandyLand, so I'm kind of hoping that we are back to GKTW in time for the giant CandyLand game that evening. I don't know how that will be. If we are having too much fun at AK, I doubt we would sacrifice a Disney park for it. Again, we'll see.

MONDAY, 8/4
Our return flight leaves at 5:40pm and gets home at 7:20pm. I'm hoping we get some good hang-out time in at GKTW as I am afraid we won't have felt like we've spent all that much time there up to this point. I'd love to shop and explore Downtown Disney, but I doubt we'll be getting that in this trip. I know we'll be worn out, but we'll be sad it's over, I'm sure!!

The only thing I'm fretting about right now is missing the Pirates and Princesses Party on Friday night. We'll want to stay late at HS for Fantasmic, so the only thing I could figure on doing is switching my Friday plans with our Saturday plans, maybe. I wonder if that party is worth it. My twins are eight. What do you think? Would they love the party? Would it be OK to miss? Oh, what to do???
__________________
GoofyDoo is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #18
bigdisgrandma
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West Jordan, Utah
Posts: 372

Amy,
What a wonderful plan. You know you will never get to do it all but all you do will be so worth it! Your family is just going to love it all! I should know because I truly am addicted to Disney. We have taken 2 day trips and 12 day trips and we enjoy them all though I will say the 2 day trip with 2 days worth of flying was pretty intense!

Denise
__________________
OKW Aug 1994, Sept 2008
All Star Sports With 14 people Aug 1997
Marriott Residence Inn May 2000, Feb 2003, Mar 2005, Mar 2006
Port Orleans Riverside June 2002
Pop Century Nov 2005, Jan 2008

Karlyn's Wish is Coming True
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1868674
bigdisgrandma is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
twinmum
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 787

Your plans look great...very busy, but great! I see that you are planning on doing Epcot and DS on the same day. On our trip in 2006 (when the boys were 8), we were planning an afternoon/evening at Epct and a full day at DS, eexpecting to be done quite early.

Well...both boys found WAY more that interested them at Epcot, resulting in our spending another almost full day there - and I know that there is TONS we didn't see, that we'll be hoping to see this time. Bill has some great lists of "not to miss" attractions, but I'll just mention that given the age of your kids, I think Soarin', Test Track and Mission:Space (the green version) will be big hits! Each of these had multiple visits last time! Perhaps you can be quite selective about your specific interests in the World Showcase. For more info on attractions at any of the parks, check out the "Theme Parks" section of the DIS (see that blue toolbar near the top of your DisBoards screen?).

And then, we went to DS, thinking we just needed to be very aware of our time so we made it to the specific shows we wanted to see. That, and throw in a little Star Tours and we'd be done, thought we. WRONG!!! What a full and wonderful day we had...Star Tours, meeting Darth Vadar (and now that the Jedi Training Academy is a permanent attraction, it's a must for an 8 year old boy (if he likes Star Wars). Catch the really interesting shows - the boys loved the Indiana Jones and Lights Motors Action shows especially. We all learned a lot on the Backlot Tour. We all tried Tower of Terror. Once was enough for me and for Douglas. My hubby and Mark (our wish child) went twice! Peter and I took turns trying the Rock 'n Roller Coaster. And this time, we're looking forward to trying Toy Story Mania.

Don't forget, we had a GAC then, too, and that helped us so a lot in less time - really helpful due to Mark's stamina.

So the moral of the story is...reserach what you really want to do, make a plan, but most importantly, try to accept that you won't be able to do it all. You'll just have to come back!

Thanks for sharing your plans. I'm feeling the magic!

Alison
twinmum is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #20
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...
 
GoofyDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdisgrandma View Post
Amy,
What a wonderful plan. You know you will never get to do it all but all you do will be so worth it! Your family is just going to love it all! I should know because I truly am addicted to Disney. We have taken 2 day trips and 12 day trips and we enjoy them all though I will say the 2 day trip with 2 days worth of flying was pretty intense!

Denise
Thank you, Denise!! You sound very experienced. I'd love to know more about your past itineraries some time when you get the chance!! I know you're right--there's no way we'll get to it all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmum View Post
Your plans look great...very busy, but great! I see that you are planning on doing Epcot and DS on the same day. On our trip in 2006 (when the boys were 8), we were planning an afternoon/evening at Epct and a full day at DS, eexpecting to be done quite early.

Well...both boys found WAY more that interested them at Epcot, resulting in our spending another almost full day there - and I know that there is TONS we didn't see, that we'll be hoping to see this time. Bill has some great lists of "not to miss" attractions, but I'll just mention that given the age of your kids, I think Soarin', Test Track and Mission:Space (the green version) will be big hits! Each of these had multiple visits last time! Perhaps you can be quite selective about your specific interests in the World Showcase. For more info on attractions at any of the parks, check out the "Theme Parks" section of the DIS (see that blue toolbar near the top of your DisBoards screen?).

And then, we went to DS, thinking we just needed to be very aware of our time so we made it to the specific shows we wanted to see. That, and throw in a little Star Tours and we'd be done, thought we. WRONG!!! What a full and wonderful day we had...Star Tours, meeting Darth Vadar (and now that the Jedi Training Academy is a permanent attraction, it's a must for an 8 year old boy (if he likes Star Wars). Catch the really interesting shows - the boys loved the Indiana Jones and Lights Motors Action shows especially. We all learned a lot on the Backlot Tour. We all tried Tower of Terror. Once was enough for me and for Douglas. My hubby and Mark (our wish child) went twice! Peter and I took turns trying the Rock 'n Roller Coaster. And this time, we're looking forward to trying Toy Story Mania.

Don't forget, we had a GAC then, too, and that helped us so a lot in less time - really helpful due to Mark's stamina.

So the moral of the story is...reserach what you really want to do, make a plan, but most importantly, try to accept that you won't be able to do it all. You'll just have to come back!

Thanks for sharing your plans. I'm feeling the magic!

Alison
Oh, Alison, you are SO making me wish that we were going to have four days of Disney, but we just don't want to sacrifice the other parks this trip because there are things there that are part of Clay's wish...and besides, when we make it back to Orlando, I doubt we'll be going back to the US parks. I'll have to research the Jedi Training Academy--I'm not familiar. Thank you for all the great tips!!! I have to get a grip...I think I'm about to have a panic attack already for fear of running out of time. This is ridiculous!!!! But fun!!!
__________________

Last edited by GoofyDoo; 07-09-2008 at 12:51 PM.
GoofyDoo is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #21
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God
 
Bill_Lin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Great Northwest
Posts: 747

Your well planned schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDoo View Post
OK, so I thought I would post my ideas for our itinerary. Any and all comments, thoughts, and suggestions are welcome. You know I love great tips!!

TUESDAY, 7/29
Leave our airport at 7:20am and arrive in Orlando at 10:45am
Get checked in at GKTW & hang out there for the afternoon and evening
(*side note: this is Nickelodeon Night, and I would LOVE it if they featured a SpongeBob character...but I have a feeling this night is geared toward younger children and characters such as Blue, Dora, etc. We'll see!)

WEDNESDAY, 7/30
Magic Kingdom!!! This will be a long day. I want to stay as long as the family can handle it.

THURSDAY, 7/31
US Islands of Adventure!! We are looking forward to this park. I do want to spend a full day here, although many say you can do both US parks in one day. We'll see about that, but I know one thing: I do NOT want to jeopardize getting back in time for Christmas/Winter Wonderland at GKTW that evening!!! If we happen to be able to get both US parks in on this day, then great--that will leave us more extra time for later.

FRIDAY, 8/1
EPCOT in the morning; Hollywood Studios in the afternoon!! I hope we can fit everything in. I'm worried about this. I am hearing everyone's advise right now telling me to just accept that we can't do everything on our list....but still, we have our must-dos. I hope I've made the right decision for us regarding which parks to do in half-day periods. I know we won't get back in time for the Pirates & Princesses Party at GKTW, and I'm mad about it!!

SATURDAY, 8/2
Universal Studios in the a.m. (just long enough to do the must-dos there, one of which is the Nickelodeon thingy since we have to meet SpongeBob, you know!!); SeaWorld in the p.m. We live in Texas and have done SeaWorld in San Antonio and loved it. I was actually pleasantly surprised to read that SeaWorld Orlando does NOT have an adjoining waterpark included in admission as does SeaWorld San Antonio. That will make things go more quickly for us!! Ha!! Don't expect me to say that if we ever pay for the tickets ourselves! We might make it back for Mayor Clayton's birthday party, but I doubt it. You never know, though.

SUNDAY, 8/3
Animal Kingdom!! My husband is really excited about this park. It sounds hot to me, although I do love animals. I just don't know how much I love them during the highly humid, extreme heat in August. I'm a Texas girl, but still. But we'll have our dorky neck-coolers on. Well, all of us will except for my husband, who will be making fun of us dorks. My kids--all four of them--have always loved playing CandyLand, so I'm kind of hoping that we are back to GKTW in time for the giant CandyLand game that evening. I don't know how that will be. If we are having too much fun at AK, I doubt we would sacrifice a Disney park for it. Again, we'll see.

MONDAY, 8/4
Our return flight leaves at 5:40pm and gets home at 7:20pm. I'm hoping we get some good hang-out time in at GKTW as I am afraid we won't have felt like we've spent all that much time there up to this point. I'd love to shop and explore Downtown Disney, but I doubt we'll be getting that in this trip. I know we'll be worn out, but we'll be sad it's over, I'm sure!!

The only thing I'm fretting about right now is missing the Pirates and Princesses Party on Friday night. We'll want to stay late at HS for Fantasmic, so the only thing I could figure on doing is switching my Friday plans with our Saturday plans, maybe. I wonder if that party is worth it. My twins are eight. What do you think? Would they love the party? Would it be OK to miss? Oh, what to do???
Amy,

Great Trip Planning and Schedule, but remember the prime directive....."Be flexible and willing to change when it works better that way.

I love your plan to start slow and easy at the Village. Maybe you can get the Wish Star taken care of that day. Ask the Star Fairy in the Castle of Miracles about that. The animation machine is fun, and the enchanted play area. Check out the train set at the train station. I had some fun working the various controls and playing with the RC boats. Take the train ride and play a round of mini putt golf. Check out the fishing dock. We saw a huge terrapin there swimming by. Eat Ice Cream!!!!!! Ride the Carousel. Walk through the lovely grounds in the evening. Play in the pool.

You might have time to check out the Disney section at Wal-Mart or visit the Flea Market. It would be cool for a kid to start the trip with one thing THEY chose.

Sponge Bob is in the exit shop from SHREK 4-D which is an AWESOME SHOW as US.

The Pirates and Princesses Party was more about the girls and crafts than the boys. It was fun, but not as fun as the parks.

I can't wait to hear about all the fun you will have.

HUG

Bill
Bill_Lin is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #22
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...
 
GoofyDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 340

Thanks, Bill!! That is so good to know (about the pirates/princesses party). I have been in a quandry as to whether to make it back for some of these evening events at GKTW. It's so hard. Christmas is a given, but the others I just haven't been clear about. Knowing it's more for girls than boys--and that our time would be better spent in the parks--is worth a lot. Thank you so much. I can't wait to be there, actually checking everything out for ourselves!
__________________
GoofyDoo is offline  
Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #23
twinmum
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 787

Amy: I am so sorry - I didn't mean to make you anxious about your plan! Your kids will love whatever you do, but I do think that DS will hold some big excitement for any Star Wars fan.

Here's a link to the info about the Jedi Training Academy: http://www.wdwinfo.com/Photos/Jedi/index.htm

(I hope that works)

Jedi Training Academy: They just brought this to WDW as a permanent attraction - it was just for Star Wars weekends before. It's permanent at Disneyland and we saw it in December. Douglas and Peter were off doing something else and got held up (oops, we didn't factor in enough waiting time...too used to the "magic" Guest Assistance Card!). Mark and I arrived early, carried our signs (yup, it really helps for getting picked! Mark's sign said "Jedi on Wheels" I think and Douglas' said "Luke was a twin and so am I"). Mark was VERY enthusiastic, but I think the big selling point was the wheelchair, frankly. Those Disney folks sure know how to make a big and happy, not smarmy, fuss over a child in a wheelchair! He was annoyed that he was actually in the chair for the activity, though.

I think going to the first show is a great idea. Be prepared that your son (and daughter, if she likes) may not get picked...but I have a good feeling about this...

Hope this helps,
Alison
twinmum is offline  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #24
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...
 
GoofyDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 340

Alison, thank you so much for all the great information!! I just got through showing the twins some pictures from the link you sent, and they are excited. I don't know how in the midst of all the reading I've done I got through it without learning about the Jedi Training Academy. Is it located, by chance, near the Star Wars ride? It's amazing how much I keep learning, but better now than when we are there and it's too late to prepare!! We may just have to make some signs ourselves, the way you did. Do they ever choose girls from the crowd that you know of? I guess if not, it would be discrimination!! The thing about my twins is that Clay is SO shy--he'll speak, but barely audibly when feeling bashful. His sister is a ham, however! Still, when he saw the little boy in the pic fighting Darth Vader with his light saber, he thought that looked really fun and said he wanted to do that! So do we just need to make signs and hold them up and be sure the button is visible? I mean really, REALLY visible??

BTW, I was just teasing about getting all panicky earlier!!! Please keep sharing all your great info!!! You are awesome, Alison!!

I have to go and be sure I have the Star Wars stuff added to my customized maps on www.disneyworld.com. Have you done that yet? It's awesome. I learned about it from the free planning DVD Disney will send you if you ask for it. You can customize a map of each park according to the rides/attractions you want to do, then print the maps out and take them with you!! Maybe I should post about this on the main thread....
__________________

Last edited by GoofyDoo; 07-09-2008 at 12:51 PM.
GoofyDoo is offline  
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...
 
GoofyDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 340

Treats from Disney World!!

This morning my husband, who is a commercial airline pilot, called to tell us that he was on his way home from a trip...and guess where he was? The airport in Orlando!! I said, "Hey kids--Daddy's in Orlando right now!!", and they were like "That's not fair!" and "Why didn't he take us with him??" and "Is he going to go to Disney World without us??!!??". I assured them that he was only there for an hour or so. But when he got home this afternoon, we found that he had done some shopping while in the airport!! He got Clay some "Cars" and Shay Lynne a set of figurines from Snow White. The Mickey Mouse mug is for me. I'm drinking tea out of it right now.

My older two kids (from a previous marriage) are with their dad for a few weeks, so they missed out this time. Oh well, we'll share. What a fun surprise. Now we're watching Snow White. The kids went up into the gameroom last night and gathered every Disney movie we own (probably over thirty). They've made a list, and we're working our way through them. Fun times!!
__________________

Last edited by GoofyDoo; 07-09-2008 at 12:52 PM.
GoofyDoo is offline  
Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #26
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God
 
Bill_Lin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Great Northwest
Posts: 747

Dad

Now that is a COOL Dad to have. I love the gifts.

Amy,,,, I just have to say it. Everything will be wonderful. You do NOT have to make it perfect. Relax and make if FUN instead. Enjoy the magic, and live in the moment.

Bill
Bill_Lin is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #27
bigdisgrandma
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West Jordan, Utah
Posts: 372

Amy, that is so cool to get Pre-trip treats from Orlando. My husband travels alot for his work and when our kids were young, they thought he got on the plane and circled Salt Lake for a week and then landed when it was time to come home. It took a while for them to understand that he actually went somewhere, got off the plane, stayed there for a while and then got on a new plane to fly home!

I would be happy to share some of my favorite things with you for your trip. I'll think over the weekend and then send some your way the first of next week!

Have a wonderful 4th of July.
Denise
__________________
OKW Aug 1994, Sept 2008
All Star Sports With 14 people Aug 1997
Marriott Residence Inn May 2000, Feb 2003, Mar 2005, Mar 2006
Port Orleans Riverside June 2002
Pop Century Nov 2005, Jan 2008

Karlyn's Wish is Coming True
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1868674
bigdisgrandma is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #28
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...
 
GoofyDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdisgrandma View Post
Amy, that is so cool to get Pre-trip treats from Orlando. My husband travels alot for his work and when our kids were young, they thought he got on the plane and circled Salt Lake for a week and then landed when it was time to come home. It took a while for them to understand that he actually went somewhere, got off the plane, stayed there for a while and then got on a new plane to fly home!

I would be happy to share some of my favorite things with you for your trip. I'll think over the weekend and then send some your way the first of next week!

Have a wonderful 4th of July.
Denise
You are awesome, Denise--thank you!! So I guess we belong to the sisterhood of traveling husbands. You have a wonderful 4th, too!!
__________________
GoofyDoo is offline  
Old 07-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #29
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...
 
GoofyDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 340

Random Pics

I thought I'd post a couple of pics...
Below our some pics of Clay and me at our church's Vacation Bible School. I couldn't help every day this year, so instead of taking a class, I helped in the kitchen on the days when I could be there. Then I was able to snap a cute pic of Clay coming through to get his yummy cupcake that I helped make for him...

So now you've seen all of us except my husband. He hates to pose for pics, so I'll get to him when I can.

We're trying to fill our summer with lots of activities to pass the time quickly as we wait for Disney World!!! <--Can you tell how excited I am???
__________________

Last edited by GoofyDoo; 07-09-2008 at 12:53 PM.
GoofyDoo is offline  
Old 07-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #30
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God
 
Bill_Lin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Great Northwest
Posts: 747

Pictures

Those are wonderful pictures, Amy. You both look SO happy. We can tell what special, wonderful people you are. Thanks for sharing that moment with us.

We are ALL getting so excited about your trip. Has your face started to hurt from smiling so much yet? If it hasn't you had better start a "smiling exercise regimen" to prepare for the trip. You will need it.

May you be richly blessed every moment of every step along the way.

Your friend,

Bill
Bill_Lin is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: