Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
WithDisneySpirit
DIS Veteran

Lisa and Rick's PJ/TR: Peace, Love, Mickey Mouse DFTVR! - DAY THREE! =)

Since I did not do a planning journal, I am going to cover our introductions and then a bit of pre-VR planning and then just pick right up with our VR trip report!
Rick and I met September 1997 in church. He was sitting in the row right in front of me. We have a “greet/hug each other” part of the service and he turned around to hug me and said, “You have a beautiful voice!” Well, that kind of flattery made him an instant friend =) I thought he could be that ‘not so common’ guy friend – I sure wasn’t thinking romantically to begin with… One thing did lead to another though, and we had our first date on the Saturday night after Thanksgiving. Soon, we were pretty much inseparable.

He was frightened of being a Dad to my 6 and 9 year old sons though and he tried hard to just have a long term relationship! Na-uh, not me, so I offered to break up with him right away, LOL. I said the goal needed to be eventual marriage or nada…let’s just say we never broke up =) Along the way, we realized a mutual love of Disney and we started to plan a vacation, just he and I, for when my kids were going with their Dad on vacation for a week.

Five weeks before vacation, we were driving along somewhere in the car and Rick, out of the clear blue, asks me, “What do you think about making this Disney trip our honeymoon?” So much for bended knee with ring at the ready…what did I say…YES, lol! We decided we wanted to elope so we went together and told our minister that we wanted him to marry us quietly after church on Sunday and then we would leave for Disney. He, being the Mickey lover that he is, said, “Why don’t we marry y’all in Disney and we’ll go too?” I did some minor checking and felt that even the smallest wedding at Disney was more than we needed. We tried our best to decline and our minister said we’ll just pick a quiet spot, marry you and we’ll be off to the parks =)

Well, he won and off we went. We all stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort and very early on July 7, 1998, Rick and I got married on the sandy beach in front of our building. My minister’s wife was our photographer; I didn’t do flowers or anything. We loved it though. We set up a camcorder on a tripod to record the event and surprise our families with when we got back. We kept it a secret until then… Here are a couple of pictures:

We did have matching rings made for our wedding ceremony and they are so special to us! In fact, for our VR, we used our exact same rings during our vows: We had an idyllic honeymoon at Disney, of course. We settled into a very happy wedded life together. We did take our kids back to Disney at Christmas that same year and then we went through a very long Disney dry spell. We talked about going and could never quite get it together.

In early 2004, we decided we had to go back to Disney!! I started to do internet research and discovered about renting points to stay at DVC. That sounded perfect to us because we knew that a good vacation with two rambunctious boys would have separate bedrooms, LOL. The more I researched, the more I wanted DVC. Instead of renting points, we bought an OKW contract on the resale market, yay!!!!!! We chose OKW because it was the one Rick liked the look of in the pics at Allearsnet.com. I enticed him and I really didn’t care where he wanted to buy, lol, as long as we could buy it!!

We made our first DVC trip home in October 2004. Oh, DVC will really hook you – did we ever love OKW and that 2 bedroom villa we stayed in =) It just happened that my boys were going off to dad’s family in NY for fourth of July in 2005. That is our anniversary, July 7, the same week. So, we took a trip to Disney, just us two again, for our seventh anniversary! We had such a romantic and lovely trip!

We were taking pics of Mickey&Minnie so they did the same - I love this pic

We even made an ADR for Shutters so that we could re-visit our wedding spot =)

Here is a couple of pictures from our actual anniversary day!
Our original wedding spot:

A rather unflattering pic of me at our wedding site, lol!

Somewhere, along the way in planning for this trip, I discovered the idea of Disney vow renewals. Boy, did that ever get my attention! I felt that we had made a true success of marriage and I really wanted to celebrate this with our family. What better place than Disney to marry all over again? I broached the subject with Rick on our ten hour drive home from Disney. He must have been basking in the afterglow of a great Disney trip because he said yes to a 10th anniversary vow renewal at Disney!!!!! Let the planning begin =)

Last edited by WithDisneySpirit; 11-01-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: update title =)
WithDisneySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
DisneyMissy318
DIS Veteran

Great story Lisa! I love that your minister insisted it be at Disney! What memories for you! I can't wait to hear more!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

Wow, that is quite a wedding story! You guys look so cute in all the pics! Can't wait to hear about the VR!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
MyMelody
Mouseketeer

Great story!!! I love it....
MyMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
29apr00
Momma to a Princess and a little Prince!

What a great start! Can't wait to hear more!

29apr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

What a wonderful story - I like the idea of the combined PJ/Trip Report. Can't wait to hear more!
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
WithDisneySpirit
DIS Veteran

Thanks, everyone! Since I never did a pj, I thought it would be great to at least give a little behind the scenes planning. It won't be a blow-by-blow PJ since I just don't remember all of it, lol!! Only Mom and DH had to listen to the thousand times I changed my mind about favors as one example!

It has always been a glorious memory to have married at Disney. Nothing can top the awesomeness of having a real Disney Fairytale Wedding though!!

Last edited by WithDisneySpirit; 06-30-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

I love other's TR's...it's like reliving the VR all over again.

cheryl
Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
WithDisneySpirit
DIS Veteran

Site Visit trip: 7/29/07
Mom, Dad, DH and I went on a fabulous Disney trip and while there we got to visit our reception site as well!! A little background on why we picked Italy as our wedding site. At first, I felt forced to pick the Wedding Pavilion, if only for the heat factor sure to be present on July 7, 2008!! Now this is not to say that the Wedding Pavilion is anything but breathtaking but I truly wanted another outdoor wedding, like our first. After much discussion, we decided to move our date up to May 27, 2008 in the hope that it would be a cooler day since we knew there would be very small babies in our family by that time (as yet unborn!). That settled; I felt free to discuss an outdoor venue. Rick really knew that I wanted Italy because it holds special meaning for me…I grew up in a military family and four years of my childhood were spent in Naples, Italy! It was a truly wonderful time for my family. I was 10 to almost 14 while we were there. The memories were so special that I asked Rick if we could marry there. He, like a true knight, said of course!
Here is a pic of the courtyard that I took on this trip.

Every time I went to Disney, I took pictures of the Courtyard, LOL. I even stopped during the Minnie Marathon on May 4, 2008, to take more pictures of my beloved Italy, lol. After I slowed to a walk to take this picture,

I had to speed up again because there was a nice Disney photog ready to take this pic, haha!!

Because of many hours spent poring over trip reports from past Disney brides, I had already discovered the Attic for a possible reception site. It looked perfect for our reception because we were looking for a casual, cozy atmosphere for a party rather than something more elegant which really doesn’t fit our personalities. Plus, I saw pictures of toys in the Attic, including airplanes. I found this very exciting because my DH flies a small airplane for a living and I just knew it would please him. Pleasing my DH is part of my secret to a happy marriage…
Before we left on the trip, I contacted Bill Barchik, our wedding consultant and was able to make an appointment with him to view the Attic and make sure it would be the perfect place for our reception/party. We planned the site visit for 3pm on August 3. Dad and Rick were spending that day at Fantasy of Flight (see what I mean?) This is the only place in Orlando that can drag my hubby away from Disney theme parks for a whole day!!
Mom and I planned a great day of shopping and girl time at Disney. We were shopping at DTD and we also wanted to take the DVC tour of the latest Animal Kingdom Villas models. So we took a bus to SSR. After the tour, we walked through the store next to Artist’s Palette. We thought it would be nice to take the boat back to DTD and then catch the bus to BW for our site visit appt. This was the worst transportation snafu in all my Disney memory!! First, we waited a looonnngg time for the boat. By the time we got to DTD, I was sure we were going to be cutting it close for our appt. Keep in mind that the guys had the car so we had to make do… well, we waited and waited for the bus. It finally came. Then, it stopped at Pleasure Island and guess what?? They decided to do a shift and driver change!! We were also unaware that BW is the last stop of all five resorts. Needless to say, I was in shock and trying to call Bill Barchik to warn him of our lateness. I got his office and they had him call me on my cell and he actually told me not to worry and that he would wait for me!!!! That man is gold, pure gold =) We actually arrived a full 45 minutes late and he waited on us and showed no irritation toward us. He was a perfect Disney cast member gentleman. I loved seeing the Attic; it was definitely the place for us. I took so many pictures, here are a few of them:
See the airplanes in the corner and my mom

After we said goodbye to Bill, we met our men at Beaches and Cream, one of our favorites, of course. Mom and I never turn down an opportunity for a No Way Jose (sadly, no picture from this trip), here are some of us having fun at B&C though:

Notice my dad's Pink Floyd shirt

and another couple of Disney fun pics:

Yes, we are like Peter Pan

Last edited by WithDisneySpirit; 07-01-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: picture correction :)
Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
lov2b@disney
DIS Veteran

Lisa loving your TR! Cant wait to read more!

lov2b@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #11
29apr00
Momma to a Princess and a little Prince!

The Italy courtyard looks beautiful! Great choice! can't wait to read more!

29apr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
WithDisneySpirit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lov2b@disney View Post
Lisa loving your TR! Cant wait to read more!
Thanks, venue twin! Can't wait to read more of yours too =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29apr00 View Post
The Italy courtyard looks beautiful! Great choice! can't wait to read more!
It really was gorgeous! It didn't hurt that it was during the Flower & Garden show

Last edited by WithDisneySpirit; 07-02-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #13
WithDisneySpirit
DIS Veteran

The next big planning event was the dress! Now to be honest, I had been looking on the web and in magazines for dresses since the moment we decided to do a tenth anni VR in July 2005. I would get mildly depressed fairly often about it. Part of me wanted a big, princess-y, poufy, Disney-ish dress but there were reasons that I felt like I would never find something like that for me.

The main roadblock is that most of those dresses are strapless or halter style. For twenty-four years, I have had autoimmune disease, including lupus for the past eight years. My skin is affected by its own autoimmune problem and it permanently disfigured my upper arms and shins and I have even had surgery on my arms which is the reason you will always see me in every picture with sleeves. I know, ‘tmi’ but it helps for me to tell y’all that because many people wonder and ask me in the heat of summer why I’m wearing longer sleeves. I even had a wedding guest I don’t know very well ask me at the welcome party…

As a result, I had resisted going in to any bridal shops because I so rarely saw any bridal gowns with sleeves… I thought about bolero jackets and kept searching the web and I also considered a seamstress to design my own dress. Anyway, I saw an ad for a sale last summer at Parisian. They had a room called the Parisian Room which has evening wear (I say had because Belk’s bought them and Parisian no longer exists ). I thought I would run in there and just check out what was available. I went in and in ten minutes, I found my dress!!!!! I could not honestly believe it?! It is a beautiful color of peach and gold. It has a sleeveless gown with a matching jacket that was so lightweight and breathable. It was so very perfect for me! And…in a way, it looked a bit princess-y too because of the flowing chiffon upper layer. Would you like to know the most unbelievable part?? I got this dress at 75% off the original price!! It was so inexpensive; I am embarrassed to say how little I spent on it, lol!!! I told DH that I planned to shop for shoes, a purse, jewelry and a tiara because I was so frugal on the dress, haha!! Well, here are a couple of pics of the dress:

Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #14
padisneyfour
DIS Veteran

pictures

Those are beautiful pictures! That dress color looks fantastic on you and the flowers were very pretty too! Looking forward to hearing more details...
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
lov2b@disney
DIS Veteran

love the dress and the color! Beautiful!

lov2b@disney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: