Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #46
ERICS MUM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBrideToni View Post
is anyone still around on this thread? I could really use it!
Hi Toni, I'm here and probably a few other members will be along soon. Let us help you if we can.

Linda
ERICS MUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #47
DisneyBrideToni
Proud BLT DVC Owner
I had to give him a bit of his batman

Oh I am so glad!

I am getting married soon in Disney and well I am going out of my mind with panic and anxiety.

Not only for the trip there but also the wedding and then the moving out of my parents home. I don't think I have ever been this nervous before. I have suffered from anxiety for a long time but this is out of control!

I am terrified of going on the plane. I could drive down with my parents but I don't even want to do that and even if I did, I still have to fly back home.

Of course I have the normal nervous wedding jitters which I can deal with but the idea of moving out of my parents house, my safe place, is killing me.

Any thoughts?
DisneyBrideToni is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #48
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead
What ever ya do try it, you wont be disappointed

Quote:
Oh I am so glad!

I am getting married soon in Disney and well I am going out of my mind with panic and anxiety.

Not only for the trip there but also the wedding and then the moving out of my parents home. I don't think I have ever been this nervous before. I have suffered from anxiety for a long time but this is out of control!

I am terrified of going on the plane. I could drive down with my parents but I don't even want to do that and even if I did, I still have to fly back home.

Of course I have the normal nervous wedding jitters which I can deal with but the idea of moving out of my parents house, my safe place, is killing me.

Any thoughts?
I feel for you.I like yourself have dealt with this for along time and finnally got too the point I couldnt handle it on my own.Read some of my earlyier posts.
I'm on meds now and LivinInTheCastle gave me a great website that tought me self help measures..Let me give you the website:http://www.stresscenter.com/

At the In the right hand corner and click on the test yourself link..
Please do this and let us know..It is like a five day coarse and its free.It goes directly to your E-Mail..

I would see your MD also you may need meds depending on the severity of it..
Try this route and please let us know what happens..

I'm sorry I didnt reply earlier,we do care and want too help!!

Also congratulations on your upcomming wedding...

Last edited by donaldduck352; 01-08-2009 at 04:55 PM.
donaldduck352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #49
TashaRVT
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... what do we do; we swim...

Quote:
is anyone still around on this thread? I could really use it!
I'm still lurking! Don't worry, you're not alone.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #50
LivinInTheCastle
DIS Veteran

Hi, I'm here to! I check in at least every other day. I have known numberous people that have had problems with flying. I would ask your dr. if he can give you a few days worth of Xanax to try. It is a medicine that calms you down within 15 minutes or so of taking it. It really doesn't have any of the bad side effects that allot of anxiety meds have. You may feel a little drowsy for a few hours but honestly that is about it. I don't really have any specific advice about the moving issue, but you do have an awful lot of stressors going on in your life right now. I would also recommend 2-4 breathing a few times a day. It is basically breathing in through the nose to a count of one thousand one, one thousand two, and out through the mouth for the same only til 4 (1,2,3,4) for about 5 minutes at a time. It's amazing how shallow we breath when we are extremelly stressed. Good luck to you and let us know if there is anything else we can do!

LivinInTheCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #51
DisneyBrideToni
Proud BLT DVC Owner

Thanks everyone. glad you are all still around!

I actually have been to the stresscenter.com website! It is great. I kind of backed off of it but I should go back! I actually own the Lucinda Basset CD's but I haven't listened to them yet. Its so weird. Its like I have these resources but im not using them.

I am on Zoloft right now. I have actually been taking it for about 4-5 years. I feel like its not as effective anymore. I was thinking about Lexapro. Does anyone have experience with Lexapro? I am making an appointment with my dr. next week to get some xanax. If it makes me drowsy that is great then maybe I can just sleep on the plane. Its only a 2 hour flight but that 2 hours feels like an eternity when you are panicking...lol.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #52
LivinInTheCastle
DIS Veteran

Hey Toni--glad to hear you are taking some proactive steps with your anxiety. Yes it would be very likely that you could sleep the whole time on the plane. Take it about 20 minutes before you board, or discuss it with the dr. if that would make you feel better. I have never taken lexapro, I take Effexor XR and I think it has helped me allot, but different meds work for different people.
I would also highly recommend you use the CD's. Do you have a MP3 or IPOD? If your CD's came with the relaxation CD, put that on to listen to, that CD has actually put me to sleep once and it has taken me out of a panic attack more than once.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #53
DisneyBrideToni
Proud BLT DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinInTheCastle View Post
Hey Toni--glad to hear you are taking some proactive steps with your anxiety. Yes it would be very likely that you could sleep the whole time on the plane. Take it about 20 minutes before you board, or discuss it with the dr. if that would make you feel better. I have never taken lexapro, I take Effexor XR and I think it has helped me allot, but different meds work for different people.
I would also highly recommend you use the CD's. Do you have a MP3 or IPOD? If your CD's came with the relaxation CD, put that on to listen to, that CD has actually put me to sleep once and it has taken me out of a panic attack more than once.
Yes actually it did come with a relaxation CD and I love it. I wonder if I can put that on my Ipod?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #54
LivinInTheCastle
DIS Veteran

My husband put mine on my IPOD. You just have to burn it to the computer from the CD, put it in the Itunes library and sync it to the mp3 or ipod from there.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #55
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead

Alittle update-warning.If they prescribe Paxil,it works very well,you WILL gain wieght tho.Had a phyisical today and before I started Paxil I was 201lbs. Now Im tipping the scales of 250!!!The only sideeffect I encountered so far..
Now I'm on a mission too take off the wieght..
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #56
LivinInTheCastle
DIS Veteran

I gained allot of weight on paxil also, I have even now switched medicines and I only lost about 10 of the 50 pounds.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #57
saremca
Allergic to planning

I have had panick attacks for around 14 years. They're better now. I talked with a therapist and learned some techniques for dealing with the panic, and now that I'm not so afraid of it, I don't get attacks very frequently anymore, and if I do I can breathe my way through them and they leave pretty quickly.

It is a scary situation to be in because you never know when it might hit. It is good to have other people to talk to who understand.
saremca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #58
CinderelliT
Dreaming of Disney

Location: In Florida - close to Mickey's front door, yet still so far away!!

OMG!! I wish that I had found this thread sooner. I could write a book about my anxiety. I currently take Xanax as necessary, but it is no longer helping. I have suffered from anxiety for over 10 years. I also have several health problems that are hard to monitor, and our insurance does not cover most of the visits and treatments for them. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and problems with my adrenal glands as well. So when I have an anxiety attack, my adrenal glands go crazy, and many times I end up sick to my stomach and with a very low blood sugar. This in turn only increases my anxiety of having another attack.
I lost a baby in childbirth 5 years ago, & then lost my house 6 months later to Hurricane Charlie. It has been downhill ever since. I was put on Xanax and Zoloft then, and I did really well. When I got pregnant again, I had to stop the Zoloft and I have not gone back on it.
I have had 2 healthy children since then, but I had to have a full hysterectomy after the last one, and I think that the hormone issues are contributing to the anxiety. That and trying to accomplish anything with a 2 & a 3 yr old are stressful enough.
It really hit me the other day though that I should see the Dr about going back on the Zoloft. We went to WDW, and I was miserable the entire time!! After my 3rd panic attack, I made my family get out of line for Buzz Lightyear ride, and I made us go home. They were so mad with me. But I had had enough.
I know that driving triggers it, as well as confined spaces, waiting in lines, shopping by myself, taking the kids anywhere by myself. It is getting so bad, that I don't even want to leave the house unless it is absolutely necessary.
Thank you to all of you for sharing your stories. It gives me the courage to go to the Dr and ask for help.
CinderelliT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #59
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead

Just popping in too say hellow..

Why dont we start talking about what works for us when a panic attack starts!!

I start the breathing exercise.One thousand 1 and two inhale exhale with same count for a minute!!

Whats yours??
Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #60
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderelliT View Post
OMG!! I wish that I had found this thread sooner. I could write a book about my anxiety. I currently take Xanax as necessary, but it is no longer helping. I have suffered from anxiety for over 10 years. I also have several health problems that are hard to monitor, and our insurance does not cover most of the visits and treatments for them. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and problems with my adrenal glands as well. So when I have an anxiety attack, my adrenal glands go crazy, and many times I end up sick to my stomach and with a very low blood sugar. This in turn only increases my anxiety of having another attack.
I lost a baby in childbirth 5 years ago, & then lost my house 6 months later to Hurricane Charlie. It has been downhill ever since. I was put on Xanax and Zoloft then, and I did really well. When I got pregnant again, I had to stop the Zoloft and I have not gone back on it.
I have had 2 healthy children since then, but I had to have a full hysterectomy after the last one, and I think that the hormone issues are contributing to the anxiety. That and trying to accomplish anything with a 2 & a 3 yr old are stressful enough.
It really hit me the other day though that I should see the Dr about going back on the Zoloft. We went to WDW, and I was miserable the entire time!! After my 3rd panic attack, I made my family get out of line for Buzz Lightyear ride, and I made us go home. They were so mad with me. But I had had enough.
I know that driving triggers it, as well as confined spaces, waiting in lines, shopping by myself, taking the kids anywhere by myself. It is getting so bad, that I don't even want to leave the house unless it is absolutely necessary.
Thank you to all of you for sharing your stories. It gives me the courage to go to the Dr and ask for help.

Xanax is a short term cure as is valiums. Your doc give you something more long term.Like Paxil,Effixor,or anything for long term!!

I know that feeling of not wanting to even leave my house,and I wont live like that anymore!!Im on Paxil and still have my off days.But the onething I learned is just do it,dont let it control you..

I know easier said then done,but the more you face it the eisier it gets!!

We are all here to help,so feel free to open up as much as possible!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: