Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 05:12 AM   #76
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Happy Birthday, NATHAN!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #77
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

The Fishing Tournament

Well, David has come home from work every evening exhausted so I hate to hassle him to download pictures of the fishing tournament. So I decided just to write about it and then I can add pictures later.

Anyway- a recap. James Boone is a professional baseball player from our small town in Oklahoma. He and his wife decided to sponsor a "celebrity" fishing tournament to benefit MAW and specifically Nathan ( they wanted to sponsor a wish of a local child.) They want this to be an annual event, but this was the first year, and a bit disorganized. We weren't really sure what to expect. We knew that on Sat. Oct. 4 we were supposed to be at their ranch at 9:00am. When we got home from the HS football game on friday, we had a message on the machine that they wanted us to be there at 8:00 am. This would be fine, but we had waited up until the older boys got home from an after game party, and didn't listen to our message until midnight. UGH- not much sleep for any of us. That was fine though. We were excited.

We got there at 8:00am and there were a couple of other wish kids there from Oklahoma City ( 90 miles away). Allison ( James' wife) said that some didn't get the message that it was going to start early, so did we mind waiting. We said that was fine, so we sat in the car ( all 6 of us- we are a very "all together" family and assumed it was a family event) and waited and waited and waited. A few more families showed up. She was expecting 10 but at 9:30 only 5 were there-luckily, she decided to go ahead and start. We drove down to the pond where all the "celebrities" were. I put "celebrities" in quotes because they were all sports figures that even my very sports savvy boys had not heard of. But they were very nice and we were honored that they gave up their time. A couple of other players -some they had even heard of- were supposed to be there but couldn't make it. They paired each celebrity with a wish kid and took them out on a boat. There was room for my husband to go with them. Off they went. But here was a problem- there were not enough boats or celebrities to take out my boys ( they were the only siblings there). There was one extra boat and one of the HS football boys was taking it out and he offered to take out Sam. So Tucker, William and I waved goodbye to everybody from shore. We took pictures and videos for a while but quickly they became bored- Nathan's boat was far enough out we couldn't see them anymore. Oh well, they weren't going to be back for several hours, we'd just take the car back home for a bit.....until we realized that David had forgotten to leave the keys with us. So we walked around the pond for a while-okay actually until 1:00pm! We didn't even have chairs with us! We did have cell phones and I had several friends say, " Why didn't you call me! I would have picked you up!" I don't know why I didn't think about that! Finally, the fisherman came in and the sponsors brought us all lunch. My husband felt so terrible about forgetting to leave us the keys. But I was so touched by my older boys. They never complained a bit-even though they essentially had been waiting around for 5 hours! I told them I was sorry, that I didn't realize how the tournament worked and I should have let them stay home. They said, " It's okay mom. We are hear to support Nathan!" Oh, those boys make me want to cry!

When all the boats were in, they told each team to keep their biggest 5 fish. They weighed them and were going to announce the winners at the silent auction at 3:00pm. Nathan had never been fishing before- my husband is not a fisherman at all! He had a great partner-Brad Holman who used to play for the Seattle Mariners. He taught Nathan a lot and Nathan caught some great fish and was hopeful he might get a prize. We went to the silent auction where they had a lot of stuff donated from merchants in town and also a lot of signed sports stuff. Bar-S had also donated smoked sausage, hotdogs, etc that they had cooked up and were giving away.

Finally it was time for the prizes. One of the wish kids had to leave early, so there were only 4 there. That is probably good because they had 4 prizes- and they were all good. 4th place-Nintendo DS, 3rd PSP, 2nd XBOX 360 and 1st-PS 3. And with 14.9lbs of fish, Nathan got first place! He was so excited-he also got a huge trophy! He felt like such a star. The newspaper came and did another front page feature! The older boys had been so good that we bid, and won, a signed Adam LaRoche Jersey ( evidently he plays for the Pittsburgh Pirates). At the end of the long day, Tucker-my 16 year old, strapping young man-came up to me with tears in his eyes and gave me a hug. The entire thing was very emotional for us.

Today Nathan took his trophy to school. They recognize achievements outside of school on Tuesday's morning assembly. Nathan got to talk about the tournament and walk around showing his trophy. All those times of having to hear about everybody else's sports awards, he finally got his chance.

Speaking of school, Friday I took cupcakes to school for Nathan's birthday. I was talking to his teacher and she said she loved cupcakes and sometimes just brings them to share with the kids. Well, the principal found out and told her she couldn't have snacks unless they were celebrating something. The teacher is a breast cancer survivor. In her class she has Nathan, a boy with leukemia and a boy with diabetes. I told her, " The Principal doesn't understand and unless you have had someone close to you with a life threatening illness maybe you can't understand. But for some of us, every day is a celebration!" She said, " I agree. I think if we all woke up and made it to school for another day- that is a reason to celebrate!"

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940
WDW twice including Nathan's MAW trip to WDW
8 cruises and counting- almost Platinum!
Disneyland- over 14 times and counting
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #78
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

OH MY GOSH! That is one of the most touching posts I've ever read! Definitely got to find the tissues. Not only Nathan, but ALL your kids ROCK!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #79
AmberGreenawalt
Mouseketeer

Carol, I am a puddle of tears. What a wondeful post. Thank you for sharing. You can tell what a GREAT mom you are by how AWESOME all your boys turned out!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #80
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

A Prayer for Sam

Thank you both for the kind words. I just feel blessed that there are people who care enough to read what I write!

While I have time to write, I would appreciate anyone who could say a prayer for my 12 year old, Sam. Sam had a terrible trampoline accident nearly 7 months ago. He didn't fall off, he just landed wrong and broke both leg bones right above the ankle. They thought he would lose his foot- it was attached just by some skin, the nerves and the blood vessels. I wrote about it in a previous post if you are interested in all the gorry details. Anyway, it has been a long 7 months of sports and that has just about killed Sam. We go back to the surgeon tomorrow to see if he will release him to play basketball this season. I'm not sure if he will make the decision about football next year yet. Please say a prayer that Sam is released to play-that will help his mood so much and I think it will just about kill him if he doesn't get to play.

Carol

Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #81
Khalana
Mouseketeer

That was really touching! That is so important, to celebrate every day!! I'm really looking forward to seeing some pictures.

A link to my TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post27875290
Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #82
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

What a touching story! I am so glad Nathan won!

I will be saying a prayer for Sam too! I actually happen to fall upon that thread months back and just couldn't believe it! What a tragic accident!

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
Old 10-15-2008, 05:31 AM   #83
bex271
Mouseketeer

I loved the fact that Nathan got his trophy and had such a good time,
I'll keep Sam in my thoughts as he see about his legs. Hope he's able to play basketball.

becca
Old 10-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #84
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

Oh Carol! You do know how to make a person turn into a sobbing little baby!!! Your boys are just so wonderful!!! I am so glad I've got a chance to get to "know" you and your boys!

I hate trampolines, they are so dangerous! I hope Sam is healing well, and the doctor gives him the go ahead to do the sports he wants.

But, if he doesn't, he could always take up fishing!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #85
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajoy View Post
Oh Carol! You do know how to make a person turn into a sobbing little baby!!! Your boys are just so wonderful!!! I am so glad I've got a chance to get to "know" you and your boys!

I hate trampolines, they are so dangerous! I hope Sam is healing well, and the doctor gives him the go ahead to do the sports he wants.

But, if he doesn't, he could always take up fishing!
I also hate trampolines. I resisted getting one for a very long time. We have always been looking for ways to keep Nathan fit. The doctor says he can never be over weight ( too hard on his heart) but since he can't play sports, we look for other forms of exercise. Somebody recommended a trampoline and his doctor said it would be fine. I am one of those " over protective" parents- my kids have never been in a moving vehicle without being buckled, etc. The trampoline made me nervous. We had all the safety rules in place- we had the enclosure, only one on at a time, no flips,etc. It was our second trampoline-the boys wore out the first one and the bed seemed to have too much give. Some friends with several kids asked for it. I just knew one of them would get hurt on our old one-they all 7 jumped at a time, no enclosure, jumping off of ladders onto it, etc. But no- my son lands wrong on his ankle in the middle of the trampoline and nearly loses his foot! It made me so mad. It seemed so unfair. The trampoline now makes a nifty pool toy holder!

Anyway, Sam had a great appointment! Well, except that we had to wait 2 hours! He was released for all activities-even football! He doesn't have to go back for a year. They still want to keep an eye on the growth plate. It looks good right now but they want to make sure they grow evenly. Sam was so excited. He's been jumping, hopping and running ever since!

Thank yo everybody for the prayers and good thoughts.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #86
kimmylaj
DIS Veteran

that is just about the sweetest thing, i am so glad he won that trophy, and even better that he got to talk about it at assembly
Old 10-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #87
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

That is such great news for Sam! I am so glad! I bet it was one hard year (or longer?) for him!

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #88
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Pictures of MAW fishing tournament

I finally got my pictures on photobucket. Now let's see if I can remember how to post pictures!

This is Nathan, David and Brad ( who used to play for the Seattle Mariners)

Nathan and his winning fish-along with James Boone-the sponsor of the tournament

This is the entire group ( except for the one child who left early). I hate that it turned out so blurry. At least you can see how big their trophies are.

Nathan and Brad after the tournament

Last edited by oklamomof4boys; 10-17-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #89
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Pictures from Nathan's birthday

Now that I finally figured out again how to post pictures ( and I think I did it a completely different way than I did before) I'll try posting pictures from his birthday.

Nathan wanted a pumpkin cake, so I made him a pumpkin cake!

This is the kids getting ready to play Laser Quest

They gave the kids these plastic tickets to show they were registered for the next game. The kids decided they needed to take pictures of everyone with rabbit ears-ah...10 year old humor

William and Sam are just so silly

We gave Nathan a sketch pad to draw his favorite thing-can you tell what it is?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #90
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Misc. Pictures

While I am in a picture posting mood-here are a couple more pictures I thought I'd share.

I walked by my bedroom one day and saw William and Tucker comparing muscles-so a went and grabbed a camera and snapped a picture. I thought it was hilarious but they would die if they knew I was sharing it.

Here's the boys with Denver from Denver and the Mile High Orchestra- a Christian band that we have become very close with.

One morning, William and Nathan crawled into our bed. When I went in to check on them, this is what I found.

This is them on the first day of school this year

I don't know what it is they have with acting like they are pointing at something.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: