Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
bigdisgrandma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklamomof4boys View Post
Well, plans have changed. MAW called and the only Disney Cruise they would do was a 3 night cruise and they would not allow us to extend the trip on our own dollar. So Nathan decided he would rather have the longer WDW/GKTW trip. Now we are trying to figure out when to do it. She also told me it couldn't be spring break ( our first choice of dates) or around any school break or holiday- except summer. Summer in Florida is way too hot for Nathan. In fact, researching it a little more, spring break might have been too hot ( he has trouble regulating his body temperature). Now we are trying to figure out the week of November or January that my older boys will have the least conflict with. I know their teachers will have no problem with them missing for a MAW trip, but they are in many activities that are important to them ( honor bands and academic teams) and I want to avoid conflicts as much as possible. I will also have to miss a week of work ( I am a contract speech pathologist to several small schools- I know they will be fine with me taking off, but since I am essentially self employed- no work, no pay. Oh well, we were going to extend the trip on our own if we had taken a cruise, so I guess now we will save that money).

This is all so overwhelming to me- I am an over planner and now I have much more to plan. Of course it didn't help that MAW called me on my cell phone when we were on our way to Houston ( 8 hours away) to take Nathan to his cardiologist. Cardiologist visits are stressful enough on their own.

Speaking of the cardiologist- it was a very long day. At the clinic at 9:00am, done with everything by 3:00pm and then an 8-9 hour drive home. We just got home ( at midnight) and I am too wound up to sleep. His appointment went fairly well- his heart function and size were essentially the same ( maybe a slight tinge better, but certainly no worse, which is the concern). He did show some irregular heart beats during his stress test so he has a 24 hour monitor to see if they are benign or some kind of arrhythmia that needs to be addressed. Hopefully it is nothing. We leave for Disneyland in a little over 2 weeks.
Welcome back, we have missed you. Sorry about the cruise not working out. You will have so much fun at WDW/GKTW though. It may not be a good time for your family but we have gone the week after Thanksgiving and found it to be a wonderful time to go. The weather is great, not a lot of people and all the decorations and special things for the holidays are in full array. Hope you can figure out a time that will work for you all so you can begin your countdown!

Glad things for the most part were good with your cardiology visit. Wow, what a long day! For Karlyn to go to the cardiologist, the thing that takes the most time is finding a parking place once we get to the hospital, The drive is only about a half hour from home to hospital.

Hooray for the Disneyland trip.

Denise
Port Orleans Riverside June 2002
Pop Century Nov 2005, Jan 2008

Karlyn's Wish is Coming True
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1868674
Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Finally, some wish plans

So I finally coordinated things with the lady in charge of MAW in Oklahoma. Nathan's trip will be November 16-22 and we will be staying at GKTW. These are our tentative plans.

Sunday ( 11-16)- Fly to Orlando
Monday- WDW- Hollywood studios ( thinking about eating at Prime Time Cafe)
Tuesday-WDW- Magic Kingdom ( possibly eating at Crystal Palace)
Wednesday-US/IOA ( we went last summer so I am pretty sure we can cover both in 1 day)
Thursday-AK/ then Epcot ( possibly eating at Biergarten). There isn't as much the kids are interested in here, so I hope we can cover both in one day. Make sure we are back to GKTW for Christmas party
Friday-either go back to US/IOA or go to Sea World ( the kids aren't too interested in Sea World for some reason). At 4:00 pm, back to MK for MVMCP. We are excited about MVMCP.
Saturday- fly home

When we get home, the kids will just have 2 days of school before Thanksgiving break. That will give the older 3 some time to make up all their work. Nathan probably won't have much but the older 3 are in MS and HS.

We are excited about all the holiday stuff. We went to DL several years ago in November and it was magical.

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940
WDW twice including Nathan's MAW trip to WDW
8 cruises and counting- almost Platinum!
Disneyland- over 14 times and counting
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
Rora
I'm the needy, sexy Unicorn fruit-hating Ballerina
I just eat it. I bite into it.

Just wanted to SUB to this. I am so excited for you and your family!!

In high school, our senior class service project worked with MAW. It was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. It's children like Nathan that make it so rewarding.

Can't wait to hear more about your plans and your actual trip!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #19
javaj
DIS Veteran

We'll be there at the same time! I'll keep an eye out for you to say hi, have a great trip!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #20
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

I got our ADRs!!!

After reading other threads, I was a little worried about being able to get ADRs. I called today and was able to get everything we wanted.

Mon 11/17- early light lunch at Prime Time Cafe, Fantasmic dinner package at Hollywood and Vine
Tues 11/18 Crystal Palace for dinner
Thurs 11/20 Biergarten for lunch

I also ordered our tickets to MVMCP. We are really starting to get excited. Now I can concentrate again on our trip to DL in 2 weeks!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #21
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

More plans from MAW

A MAW coordinator called the other day. She was confirming everybody's names before she made airline reservations. I asked her, " I'm sure everybody asks this, but if possible we would like early flights on the way out there and late flights on the way home." She said, " Well, if you have time, why don't you stay on the phone while I look at flights and you can pick what you want!" COOL!

We chose flying out of OKC at 9:45 am on Sunday Nov. 16. There was a 7:30 am flight but it had a longer layover and only got us to Orlando an hour earlier. Since we have a 90 minute drive to the airport, we decided that it wasn't worth it. I did find out that it wasn't " in the budget" to give us a hotel room in OKC the night before but that is okay. We might do Priceline for a room anyway so we get more sleep. Also, I had read of others getting limo rides to the airport. I had held little hope for that since we live so far away from the airport- but it would have been so cool. The boys have never been in a limo ( and I only have at my wedding!) But I also knew that having a family of 6, the trip was going to be expensive for them.

Anyway, we get to Orlando at 3:00pm. We fly home at 2:00pm on Sat. Nov 22 and get to OKC at 7:00pm. I am pretty happy about all those times.

I also got an email from MAW yesterday confirming flights and giving us more information ( most of which I already knew from this board!) It did say that our expense check is tentatively $1500! I know that WDW is expensive, but that seems like a lot of money to us! Maybe we are just used to being very frugal! We go to DL every year or so and we are always sharing meals. The boys always get Disney Dollars through the year from Santa, Easter Bunny, etc and end up with about $5 a day for snacks. I already figured out about what all of our ADR meals are going to cost and kind of "budgeted " out the rest of the meals-plus some for souvenirs. It is WAY more than we are used to. I told my husband that we are not going to be so frugal on this trip- if we see a snack we want to try, we're going to! HA- we might end up spending more than our expense check! We have quite a few Disney Reward Dollars from our Disney Visa ( even after taking out $500 for our upcoming DL trip!). We can only put $5000 a year for the family in our health care spending account- and we always go WAY over that. We put all of our medical expenses over $5000 on the Disney Visa and then pay it off every month with the insurance check! It really adds up fast ( especially this year because Sam nearly completely severed his foot in a trampoline accident- he had a ton of unexpected medical expenses!).

We have been reading a lot of trip reports about trips to GKTW- I had only skimmed through them before since we thought we were going on a cruise. Initially the boys thought that GKTW would be too little kiddish. But something about the free pizza, ice cream and candy at the movie theater has really excited them-lol. Teenage boys love free food-especially when they have grown up sharing everything! A couple of years ago, we went to an NICU reunion and they gave each of us a coupon for a free combo meal to Sonic. We went there for dinner one night in OKC and the boys automatically started coordinating sharing meals like we usually do when eating out ( hey do you want to share tator tots and a rootbeer, etc). It took a while for them to understand that they EACH got to pick out their own side item and drink-lol!

Well, Nathan-my early riser is up and ready for breakfast!

Carol

Old 07-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
daisylou
Mouseketeer

Have a wonderful trip! Your four boys are all so handsome. And I love all their names. I have a Samuel of my own so I'm partial to that one of course.

Molly(30), DH(37), Jack(4), Sam(2)
I will be a nurse practitioner in 2009!
All Star Sports Sept.19-26th 2008!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #23
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylou View Post
Have a wonderful trip! Your four boys are all so handsome. And I love all their names. I have a Samuel of my own so I'm partial to that one of course.

Thank you! I love the name Jack and wanted to use it for our oldest. But my brother, John, had a baby due at the same time and wanted to name the baby John ( after him) and call him Jack. Still not sure why Jack is a nickname for John-lol! His wife had a very hard time getting pregnant and I got pregnant in 1 month so I thought it was fair to let him use the name even though Tucker was born 19 days earlier!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #24
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

One more ADR

After reading several reviews and being pleasantly surprised with our possible expense check, I decided to make ADRs for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. I was really worried about getting them at this late date. They weren't able to confirm a table for 6 but she said they could do 2 tables - either split 2/4 or 3/3. She said we could stop by in the morning and see if they could put us at one table or at least close to each other. Not crazy about splitting up, but if we had to it wouldn't be the end of the world- the kids might enjoy being on their own! I went ahead and booked it. She asked where we were staying and I told her GKTW, she said, " Oh, a wish trip!" I told her we weren't going to park all day, we just had tickets that day for the MVMCP so I wouldn't be able to go by in the morningto see about getting tables together, could I just call. She said, "Don't worry about it." She gave me the line about gratuity automatically added on tables of 6 or more and gave us our confirmation #. She never asked me if we wanted to split 2/4 or 3/3. Does this mean we did get a table for 6? Not sure, but it doesn't really matter. We'd still have fun if we have to split up. Our ADRs are for 4:05 pm. Hmm, just thought, if we don't get into the park until 4:00, will we make it to the restaurant on time?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #25
Robin+5
Mouseketeer

Sounds like your trip is coming together . I love all of your reservations. He have the same . Our MAW office made reservations at Crystal Palace for us and we have ressies at 50's Primetime Cafe, and Rose and Crown in Epcot (it will be my oldest birthday, her choice). We went to the Biergarten and Libertly Tree Tavern last year. The food in both is very good. My youngest is a very picky eater and she found food everywhere that she liked. The Biergarten has a buffet that is wonderful with a German band playing while you eat. The decorations inside are awesome. Liberty Tree Tavern is like a huge family style Thansgiving dinner...yum. The food was great and characters were very friendly. We are still waiting for some more details of our trip. Hopefully or Wish Granters will call us soon and give us more details. We are running out of time

I know about the sharing of food. We usually share drinks or french fries or something. With 5 kids, it gets expensive to go out to eat, even McDonald's.
Robin
Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #26
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Leaving for Disneyland

We are getting close to our trip to DL- ah! Our home away from home-lol! We have never been to WDW, but we have been to DL a dozen times. It is one of the few places where we feel relief from the constant worry of having a child with a life threatening illness.

My nephew just got a job in the Parade of Dreams at DL! He is a dancer and decided to take a little time off before starting college. He starts his orientation the day we get there! My sister will be there with him helping him get settled. That means the 2 of them are going to get to join us for part of the trip! We are so excited. It has been 2 1/2 years since we have been to DL! And 5 years since our only stay at the DLH. This is a splurge trip for us and we have been saving up for it- we stay at the DLH for 5 nights and our first stay at the Grand for 2 nights! Plus we got Fantasmic reserved seating! Oh, and 8 day parkhoppers!

We can't wait. We leave at 3:00pm tomorrow to head on our trip. Oh, and we bought a new car for the trip! In fact, I need to go pick it up right now!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 AM   #27
bigdisgrandma
Mouseketeer

Are you ready for Disneyland? Can't wait to hear how that trip goes. Have fun, travel safe and of course, take lots of pictures!

Denise
Port Orleans Riverside June 2002
Pop Century Nov 2005, Jan 2008

Karlyn's Wish is Coming True
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1868674
Old 07-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #28
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdisgrandma View Post
Are you ready for Disneyland? Can't wait to hear how that trip goes. Have fun, travel safe and of course, take lots of pictures!

Denise
We are just about ready. I have all of our clothes packed. I went and got a pedicure today. She put little Mickey heads on my toes!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #29
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

We're back!

We're back from our family vacation at DL. We had such a great time. We stayed at the DLH for 5 nights and the Grand for 2. We had saved quite a while for this trip. My nephew, Dan, just got a job in a parade at DL and he was there for orientation so he got to join us for quite a bit of the trip. That was extra special for the boys. Nathan has decided that he likes roller coasters now. That means he can join his brothers on more rides and we don't have to split up, but it might cause some problems in the future. His cardiologist doesn't want him to ride the "big" rides. We let him ride Matterhorn, Big Thunder and Mullholland but I wouldn't let him ride Screamin' or Space Mountain. He accepted that fine this time but I worry that he'll fuss about that in the future.

We just had so much fun being together as a family and WE GOT DREAMED with ears! I will try to post some pictures in a little bit. We have several traditional pictures that we always take.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #30
jham
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklamomof4boys View Post
We're back from our family vacation at DL. We had such a great time. We stayed at the DLH for 5 nights and the Grand for 2. We had saved quite a while for this trip. My nephew, Dan, just got a job in a parade at DL and he was there for orientation so he got to join us for quite a bit of the trip. That was extra special for the boys. Nathan has decided that he likes roller coasters now. That means he can join his brothers on more rides and we don't have to split up, but it might cause some problems in the future. His cardiologist doesn't want him to ride the "big" rides. We let him ride Matterhorn, Big Thunder and Mullholland but I wouldn't let him ride Screamin' or Space Mountain. He accepted that fine this time but I worry that he'll fuss about that in the future.

We just had so much fun being together as a family and WE GOT DREAMED with ears! I will try to post some pictures in a little bit. We have several traditional pictures that we always take.

I can't wait to see your photos! I LOVE Disneyland! I have never even seen anyone get "Dreamed" there in 2 trips so I'm glad to know it actually happens! How did you like DLH? We are staying there in October.

Me (Jeanne) DH DD16 DS15 DS11 DD8 Buddy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: