Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse
I went "wow, that hurt"

Suspended from work- really upset- UPDATE Post 42

I'm really upset right now and just need to vent. I recently started a job as a waitress at a local italian-type restaurant. I've been kind of frustrated with them. Three weeks in a row I was scheduled as "support" (bussing tables, filling drinks, making salads, etc.). We have been really slow now that the unviersity is out of session and the past three Saturdays I was sent home literally within minutes of arriving, instead of them calling me in advance like they are supposed to do. One time, the supervisor (won't call them managers, they're basically glorified servers) saw me come in, watched me clock in, was with me back in the server station as I was checking on salads and filling dressings, and then walked to the bar and sent another server to tell me to go home.

We have an e-mail system on our computers and they pop up whenever you log in, and every week there are e-mails from supervisors that say things like "hey idiot servers" or "xyz looks like s***." Talk about unprofessional!

So here is what happened to tday: I got a call asking if I could come in and talk about schedules. I asked off to have knee surgery and I'm assuming that is what it is about. I went in and the server manager told me I am suspended for a week because my sidework (chores) aren't being done properly or fast enough. She accused me of not doing it last night when I did every single thing on that list. Nobody has ever told me that I am too slow or that it was not being done properly- and nobody trained me to do it! We are supposed to have three days of training. I did not. My first day was training, the second day my trainer gave me half his tables and left me on my own. The third day I worked as server support and that was it. No training on the sidework, so I've had to figure it out as I go. It has taken me awhile to get things done because I haven't done all the different things yet and am still trying to figure out where things are located and what I have to do. I know it takes me longer than others and have been trying to get faster.

What kills me about this whole thing is how unprofessional it is. Nobody said a word to me before now, if I wasn't doing it properly, a supervisor should have told me. They are supposed to check it before we go but most do not. In fact, the last evaluation I received was from the owners telling me that they appreciate my work ethic and how I always try to find something to do even when we aren't busy and try to help out. They said there are a lot of lazy people in the restaurant and they appreciate that I don't stand around like others. I don't understand how I can go from such a positive review to such a negative.

I was talking to my father and he thinks they are doing this because of my knee problem. The only way it has affect my work is that I have asked not to be on the stage so I don't have to step up and down. Otherwise, I do not let it affect me at all. He thinks they are afraid I'm going to claim it is a work injury and try to sue them. I just can't see the owners doing that, I'm not that way.

I'm just frustrated by the whole thing because there are so many people they do not do their sidework, and in the end it is the supervisor's responsibility to make sure it is done properly and communicate it if it is not. Some of the supervisors are the worst offenders (last night our supervisor sat at the bar for 2 hours talking). I don't know what to hink, but am so frustrated. This is the first time I have ever had a negative review from a job, and it's a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since I did not see this coming.

Last edited by Eeyores Butterfly; 06-24-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Eeyores Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Most states have a law about once you get to work they have to work you for at least 3 hours, they can't bring you in and have you leave.
If they do they have to pay you for three hours.
I think I would look for another job, waitress jobs are every where.
Sorry that you found an awful place to work.
veraletta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Disney Ella
DIS Veteran

I agree with your dad. There are better places out there to work and you need to find one that will appreciate the job you do and provide adequate training if they want things to be done a certain way.
Disney Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Are the owner(s) ever there??

If not and this is locally owned not only is there bad management, there is bad ownership.

If it is a chain, and I assume you won't be going back, drop them a line to give them a heads up.

If I was the owner I would like to see the e-mails.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
JR6ooo4

The Dr. Seuss of Poo
Using kerosene lanterns for light? Kerosene, who are you kidding? When did they invent kerosene?

Location: Arlington Heights, Illinois (26 miles Northwest of Walt's Birthplace)

It is proper to notify an employee of deficient work at least once before implemanting any type of action. ESPECIALY A SUSPENSION!!!!

and possibly illegal to not give a warning first, written or verbal.

MIkeeee
JR6ooo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I went "wow, that hurt"

The owners recently opened a second store and have been spending a lot of time there. I have been kicking around the idea of quitting and going back to work at the grocery store kitchen where I worked last summer (I assumed this would be better money/hours), but I don't want to just give up. I have a strong work ethic and am worried about how quitting a job so soon will look on my resume. I know the other place will take me back in a heartbeat (again, I have never had a negative performance review at another job). There's two problems I'm facing:

a.) I have knee surgery next month so I can't really find another job at the moment (and I need another job) as I will be out for at least two weeks.

b.) If I quit now it will look like I can't handle it. The manager was nice and she said that she doesn't want to fire me over this so this is my "warning" so to speak, so she's at least giving me a chance.

I don't know if the owners have seen the e-mails or not. I'm afraid of rocking the boat. I also figured what they are doing when the send the support home is illegal, but again, I don't want to rock the boat. I know it's not just me that has this problem when they are scheduled support.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
Rock'n Robin
Disney Queen

I never heard of that 3 hour rule. My 16 year old was very excited to get a job at a local pizza chain. She worked 3 days the first week for 2 hours each, then today for 1 1/2 hours. I am less than thrilled as we want her to see the value of paying for things herself, but at this rate she still won't be able to pay for anything.
Robin M.
Rock'n Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
profdsny
DIS Veteran

I would let the owner know, quit, and not put it on a resume or application. And, generally talk to a state lawyer and see if they might at least owe you a few dollars. Good luck.
profdsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
JR6ooo4

The Dr. Seuss of Poo
Using kerosene lanterns for light? Kerosene, who are you kidding? When did they invent kerosene?

Location: Arlington Heights, Illinois (26 miles Northwest of Walt's Birthplace)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyores Butterfly View Post
The owners recently opened a second store and have been spending a lot of time there. I have been kicking around the idea of quitting and going back to work at the grocery store kitchen where I worked last summer (I assumed this would be better money/hours), but I don't want to just give up. I have a strong work ethic and am worried about how quitting a job so soon will look on my resume. I know the other place will take me back in a heartbeat (again, I have never had a negative performance review at another job). There's two problems I'm facing:

a.) I have knee surgery next month so I can't really find another job at the moment (and I need another job) as I will be out for at least two weeks.

b.) If I quit now it will look like I can't handle it. The manager was nice and she said that she doesn't want to fire me over this so this is my "warning" so to speak, so she's at least giving me a chance.

I don't know if the owners have seen the e-mails or not. I'm afraid of rocking the boat. I also figured what they are doing when the send the support home is illegal, but again, I don't want to rock the boat. I know it's not just me that has this problem when they are scheduled support.
How old are you? Is this your only income? (married?)
would you like to stay there if the owners clean up managment?

Mikeeee
JR6ooo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

walk out the door and keep on walking...

there are many waitressing jobs out there and many places that will treat you right if you are a good worker ~ I suggest you try one of them
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraletta View Post
Most states have a law about once you get to work they have to work you for at least 3 hours, they can't bring you in and have you leave.
If they do they have to pay you for three hours.
I think I would look for another job, waitress jobs are every where.
Sorry that you found an awful place to work.
That's not a law I have ever heard of. We don't have to do that in our state.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
kydisneyfans
It may be because they are too embarassed to show it in public

Ohio definitely had that law, I had to abide by it during my management days. 3 hours was the minimum.

As for the OP, I would line up another job ASAP and then blow the whistle. Make sure you have saved the email or at least forwarded them onward where you can copy them.
kydisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Many states have laws requiring minimum or show up pay. In California, Ohio and WV for example, it is 3 hours. This is required if the employee comes in on a day when they are scheduled to work longer, but are sent home early, or on a day when they are not regularly scheduled to work. There are also some exceptions if the short hours are due to acts of God.
veraletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Lovin' Lorne
We did see people coming and going, but no one had their heads off
I thought it was something that was just randomly generated

Where I used to work you had to schedule a person at least 3 hours per shift. However we also had something called VTO or Volunteered Time Off. If the person asked agreed to it, it didn't matter how long they worked, 3 hours or 3 minutes. But you couldn't "make" anyone go home.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #15
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I went "wow, that hurt"

I've been trying to look into employment law in Missouri to see if there is a minimum pay requirement for a scheduled shift. I'm not finding anything one way or the other, but I'm not even sure how to look that up. The week after the suspension I'll get to work maybe one or two days (we close for the fourth of July) and then it is knee surgery time. Depending on how those days go, I may just say that it is a bad fit and not return after the surgery. I just hate leaving a job so soon, I feel like I am not fulfilling my obligation to them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: