Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Beach Clubber
Mouseketeer

Two Big Kids Head To Disney For Their 1st Anniversary

The day we've been waiting for is here!!!! We are in the car headed to Disney. We are driving on I-95 and I just swiped DH's iphone to see if I could check the DIS. I couldn't believe it, while cruising down the highway at 80 mph I am reading trip reports. I have been addicted to the DIS lately (sometimes staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning reading and learning about my favorite place) Gosh technology really amazes me. Anyway I figured it was time for me to start earning my keep around here. So I begin.

Last edited by Beach Clubber; 07-18-2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: forgot text
Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Donald is #1
DIS Veteran

Awesome!

Thanks Kimmar
Go Red Sox & Patriots!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Beach Clubber
Mouseketeer

Smile cruising down 95 bellies full of cracker barrel

Sorry for the short first post. DH had a rumbly in his tumbly. So we needed to make a quick stop at our favorite roadside eatery-cracker barrel. The boy who grew up in Oklahoma (can't spell out Oklahoma without breaking out in song "where the waving wheat can sure smell sweet when the wind comes sweeping down the plain"). Anyway the DH had chicken fried steak loaded with white gravy and two glasses of the sweetest sweet tea. He had one of those cheshire cat grin plastered on his handsome face when the waitress dropped off his vittles. I had the combo plate of oh so good but oh so bad for you side dishes. I picked mac n cheese, hash browns, green beans, and sweet baby carrots. YIKES! I think I'll sleep well tonight, I'm in a starch induced coma.

Vacation has officially started.

Last edited by Beach Clubber; 07-18-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Beach Clubber
Mouseketeer

Post A little background

OH MY GOODNESS! Someone is reading!! Ok, the pressure is on. somehow I've got to make this as entertaining as all the reports I've enjoyed over the last several months. I really do love the DIS and have enjoyed reading all the trip reports. Thank you to everyone that has shared so much with me.

So much easier now that I am back typing on a real computer. We are checked in at the Hampton Inn for the night-great hotel with free breakfast and free internet. Half way to Disney!!!!! If I had it my way we would have driven through the night but DH is tired after a long week of work so we stopped outside Savannah.

Since my first updates were done pecking away on an iPhone while sitting in the passenger seat of our car, I owe you all a little more background.

We are heading to Boardwalk and Beach Club for our first solo Disney trip. On this trip we are celebrating our 1st Anniversary (man the last 12 months flew by).

So a little about us.

Me: 30 year old Disney fanatic. I've loved Disney since my first trip back in the fall of 1991. Things were different back then. I remember planning our trip by reading whatever Disney related book I could find, drawing maps of the parks in notebooks, and writing out detailed schedules on construction paper (yes I was the planner even when I was the child). We took amtrak down from Boston (30 or so long hours on a train, stayed offsite, and packed a cooler each day). On that trip I fell in love with the magic.
ixiedust:

Fast forward 17 years....today my parents are DVC owners. My husband and I just bought some points through resale at the Beach Club (we haven't even stayed there yet--But the trip is planned for March of 2009. We'll be going with my parents, my brother and family friends) I can't believe that we'll be able to share this wonderful place with our family for the next 30+ years.

For our one year anniversary my parents gave us some points so we are staying at a one bedroom at boardwalk for an ENTIRE WEEK! I am in heaven. I can't imagine what it will be like to stay so close to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios, have a one bedroom unit all to ourselves, and feast on the disney deluxe dining plan.

When I compare this to my first trip the contrast is striking. Even though this trip will be a lot more comfortable, that first trip really was magical. I loved hanging with my mom, dad and brother on the train. I remember looking out the window as the entire eastern seaboard flashed past and thinking about how I wanted to visit all those places close up someday. I didn't care that we went to the car to eat sandwiches in the cooler everyday for lunch, I was just thrilled to finally see all the places I had dreamed about.

DH: 36 year old relative Disney newbie. He joined our family on a trip in March of 2006. In the early spring of 2006, my parents planned a week long trip to Disney with some friends. Mom & Dad live in Maine and the winters can be bone chilling cold. I had just moved down to North Carolina to be near my then boyfriend (now DH!) so we drove down and joined them for a couple days.. We all had such a wonderful trip and this is when they decided to buy DVC points. I guess they decided owning DVC would ensure they were able to escape the harsh Maine winter for at least a week each year--I think they were also thinking about future trips with grand-babies.

He is the best husband. I am so lucky to have a husband that was willing to embrace my love of Disney. He was actually the one that suggested we look into buying DVC for ourselves. And he tells all our neighbors with pride that we are going on a week long trip to Disney...even when they give him a weird look and say "But you don't have any kids".

Our trip!

We will be staying at Boardwalk for the next week (except one night we are staying in a studio at beach club so we can check out Storm Along Bay). We are driving down from Charlotte, NC and have packed our bikes and half our house in our car! I have been counting down this trip for the last 6 months. We are SOOOO EXCITED for this trip.

We are planning a very relaxed trip. We haven't been on a trip just the two of us since last year so we want to breath a little and enjoy being on our own schedule. We've signed up for the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan and are only plan on going to the parks 3 days!!

So some of the stuff we are looking forward to: biking around Fort Wilderness one day, playing tennis (if its not too hot), exploring the amazing resorts And EATING. A lot.

I'm not sure how we are going to manage all the food! I've been making ADRs and I've still got dining credits to spare. We are going to a lot of Signature dinners. I am so excited about going to California Grill and Narcosee's!!! I don't really have breakfasts planned, I figured we were going to have big lunches and dinners but we might have to suck it up and eat more!!!

So there it is! My first big post. I'll have to figure out how to post pictures.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Beach Clubber
Mouseketeer

Disney Morning...Like Christmas Morning But Better

I've been waking up every 15 minutes since 5 am. I just want to get back on the road and zooom FAST to Disney. But the DH continues to sleep. So I sit here. Patiently.

C'mon! wake Up! I am ready to go!!!!!!! I've had my 8 hours of restorative sleep and I am READY!

When I was little my parents had to make a rule about Christmas morning....I couldn't wake them up until 7 am but was allowed to play with any presents Santa had left unwrapped. Little me would sit in our living room in the early morning hours waiting patiently for the rest of the family to get up and share the magic of Christmas morning.

Today, those early morning hours on Christmas morning are some of my favorite holiday moments. It is still dark and the only light comes from the glow of the lights on the tree, all the presents are wrapped, and the stockings are hung with care. (yes I am still the big kid that wakes up in the middle of the night to see if Santa brought anything---And guess what? He still always remembers me! Santa is the best!) When I am lucky enough to have kids, I wonder if I'll still wake up in the middle of the night to enjoy those quiet early morning hours of Christmas magic.

Well I feel like that right now. Except the light in this dark hotel room is coming from the laptop screen. DH is still sleeping.

I am ready to hit the road! Disney is only 4 hours away. Let's go already.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Clubber View Post
I've been waking up every 15 minutes since 5 am. I just want to get back on the road and zooom FAST to Disney. But the DH continues to sleep. So I sit here. Patiently.

C'mon! wake Up! I am ready to go!!!!!!! I've had my 8 hours of restorative sleep and I am READY!

When I was little my parents had to make a rule about Christmas morning....I couldn't wake them up until 7 am but was allowed to play with any presents Santa had left unwrapped. Little me would sit in our living room in the early morning hours waiting patiently for the rest of the family to get up and share the magic of Christmas morning.

Today, those early morning hours on Christmas morning are some of my favorite holiday moments. It is still dark and the only light comes from the glow of the lights on the tree, all the presents are wrapped, and the stockings are hung with care. (yes I am still the big kid that wakes up in the middle of the night to see if Santa brought anything---And guess what? He still always remembers me! Santa is the best!) When I am lucky enough to have kids, I wonder if I'll still wake up in the middle of the night to enjoy those quiet early morning hours of Christmas magic.

Well I feel like that right now. Except the light in this dark hotel room is coming from the laptop screen. DH is still sleeping.

I am ready to hit the road! Disney is only 4 hours away. Let's go already.

I think you may be related to me I do all of these things. Hope you have a great first Disney day!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Beach Clubber
Mouseketeer

Hi pooksma! I am so happy to hear that other people are as crazy and impatient as me! We'll have to plan a trip together someday.

DH just woke up and guess what his first words were. Well actually they were singing....M-I-C K-E-Y MOUSE! Mickey Mouse (donald duck) Mickey Mouse (donald duck) Forever let us hold our banner HIGH HIGH HIGH!

He is the best DH. We have been playing that song every night when we get home from work. Marching around our apartment. It is really funny when he pretends to play the tuba part and I start drumming on imaginary marching band drums.

Since he's up. I've gotta run! Free Breakfast in the lobby and then we hit the road JACK! And that's a Fact.

I'll report back later. 8 pm dinner at Narcoosee's YUMMMY! They've got a 2 pound lobster with my name on it.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Donald is #1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are heading to Boardwalk and Beach Club for our first solo Disney trip. On this trip we are celebrating our 1st Anniversary (man the last 12 months flew by).

So a little about us.
For our one year anniversary my parents gave us some points so we are staying at a one bedroom at boardwalk for an ENTIRE WEEK! I am in heaven. I can't imagine what it will be like to stay so close to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios, have a one bedroom unit all to ourselves, and feast on the disney deluxe dining plan.
First of all: Happy Anniversary!!

I can't wait to hear about BWV and BCV. I am staying at both of them for the first time in December. Like you, I am a DVC newbie. I just bought in last year (AKV). I took my first DVC trip in May and had a great time.

Quote:
DH just woke up and guess what his first words were. Well actually they were singing....M-I-C K-E-Y MOUSE! Mickey Mouse (donald duck) Mickey Mouse (donald duck) Forever let us hold our banner HIGH HIGH HIGH!

Sounds like you have converted him!

Thanks Kimmar
Go Red Sox & Patriots!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Happy anniversary! I can't wait to be celebrating my anniversaries at WDW! You know, when I actually have a DH of my own ... haha. It's so fun to be reading a live TR! It's hilarious that you were reading DIS in the car!

Quote:
He is the best husband. I am so lucky to have a husband that was willing to embrace my love of Disney.
He was actually the one that suggested we look into buying DVC for ourselves. And he tells all our neighbors with pride that we are going on a week long trip to Disney...even when they give him a weird look and say "But you don't have any kids".
I absolutely adored this part! Haha, this sounds very Prince Charming to me! Recently when I was talking to my mom about potential significant others, she said to me, "You have to find someone who loves Disney as much as you do." To other people, it sounds completely silly that out of all things, Disney must be common ground. But how much sweeter will life be, how much easier will the day-to-day be with someone who also has the same appreciation for all things Disney!

When I was younger, I used to always look forward to when I could bring my kids to WDW just because I know how fun it was for my parents to see the kiddies having a ball. But now I also can't wait to go BEFORE the kids. That's probably why I'm so excited to read your TR!

Quote:

He is the best DH. We have been playing that song every night when we get home from work. Marching around our apartment. It is really funny when he pretends to play the tuba part and I start drumming on imaginary marching band drums.
Awwww. I hope you guys continue to have a wonderful anniversary trip

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 07-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
CHEK
DIS Veteran

Hope you have a fantastic Anniversary trip , Can't wait to read all about it

April 2003 Wyndham Orlando
May 2004 Highlands Reserve
May 2006 Westridge
May 2007 Tuscan Ridge
Feb 2009 Tuscan Ridge
April 2013 Highlands Reserve
Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Beach Clubber
Mouseketeer

Checked In At Disney and Checked Out of Reality

I'm sitting on the balcony of our room at the Boardwalk. I can't stop smiling!!
After we enjoyed the continental breakfast at our hotel (which included two amazing Georgia peaches for me), we were back on the road. The next four hours were filled with singing and laughing and lots of dancing in my seat. I love to dance! Before we knew it we were exiting I-4 and passing through the Disney Gates.

As we pulled through the gates the Peter Gunn Theme started playing (just by chance. really, I didn't queue it up or anything) We played this as we entered our wedding reception last year, so we thought it was a sign from the happy vacation gods when it started playing as we entered our vacation home for the next 7 days. Lots of dancing and squeals of glee followed.

I can't imagine what people think when they pass us on the highway and we are dancing and singing like fools. I should probably give you a little more info: We drive a MINI-VAN. Yes that's right a big ol' mini-van and we don't have kids. Remember when I said our neighbors give us weird looks about going to Disney without kids. You should have seen them when we traded in DHs car (a flash sports car!) for a mini-van last winter. So not only do we drive the most uncool car...but we pretend we are really cool inside…singing and dancing like maniacs.

Checking in was a breeze. We pulled up. Loaded a luggage cart until it buckled and hit the reception desk. We arrived a little before 2 and the room was ready! Yippee! We heard the woman checking in beside us and her room wasn’t ready yet! Thank you happy vacation gods. Of course , I mentioned it was our anniversary and the desk clerk gave us the cutest Happy Anniversary Buttons with Mickey and Minnie on them! We are dorks and will wear them with pride all week.

DH went to park the car and I followed the luggage cart to our room. I opened the door and wanted to cry. So happy! Our room is beautiful and I feel very spoiled. I can’t believe the two of us get to stay in a room this big! Thanks again happy vacation gods and BIG THANK YOU TO MOM & DAD. They ‘ve worked so hard for everything and I can’t believe they gave us this wonderful luxury to celebrate our anniversary.

Some details about our room. We are overlooking the pool and the room has a huge balcony (we’ve got four chairs to sit on). I’m actually sitting on the balcony right now. We are about to get an afternoon shower and it is that perfect moment right before the storm starts. A wonderful cool breeze is blowing, the trees surrounding the pool are swaying, and I’m having one of those moments I call movie moments. A movie moment in my mind feels perfect; the weather is just right (sorta like bath water: not too hot and not too cold), good music is playing (The Beach Boys California Girls is floating up from the pool bar), and I don’t have anywhere I need to be except right where I am.

The view from our room. The storm clouds are starting to roll in.

I’m able to type this on the balcony because of a helpful hit I read about on The DIS two weeks ago. As many of you probably know, Disney started free internet access at DVC resorts in May. This is wonderful but you must connect through an Ethernet cord. Well one of our very smart fellow DISers recommended something called a travel router. You plug it into the Ethernet jack and wham! Your own WIFI hotspot. Now we can use our computers no matter where we are in our huge room, even on the balcony. DH will likely have to do some work this week, so we each brought our own laptops.

Yikes look at the time. I’ve gotta run-REALLY. I’m going to the gym (I’m training for the marine corps marathon in DC this October) so I’ll be going to Muscles and Bustles once a day this week. Probably a good thing considering all the eating we have planned. Oh, we had a late lunch at the Big River Grille & Brewing Works on the Boardwalk. Delish! But I’ll have to tell you about that later. The much anticipated dinner at Narcoosee’s is at 8pm tonight. Thanks to everyone for reading.

Last edited by Beach Clubber; 07-20-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 07-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
Me&3
DIS Veteran

Just found your trip report can't wait for the rest . By the way Happy Anniversary . DH and I spent our honeymoon at the Boardwalk 10 yrs. ago we loved it . Spent last summer with the kids DS8 AND DS2 at the Beach club loved it there and will go back Stormalong Bay is the best . We will be up there this friday at SOG can't wait enjoy your trip .
Old 07-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
Beach Clubber
Mouseketeer

Smile Stuffed!

Hi Guys! Back from dinner but way too tired to write. Loving Disney more than ever.

Last edited by Beach Clubber; 07-19-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
DisneyJen
Chairs the "Keep the Park Game On-Topic" Committee
sun+yardarm=Dole Whiparitas
The TF aims to please! :)

Happy Anniversary Beach Clubberixiedust:

So glad that you are enjoying your own wifi hotspot as we did last month Gotta love those travel routers

How long would it have taken you to drive from Charlotte to Disney? We are thinking of driving down for our December trip. We live about 75 minutes north of the Charlotte airport.

I chuckled when reading about your neighbors not understanding your love of Disney. We were at the pool yesterday and friends of ours were asking what it is about Disney that makes us go back three times in one year. They have been once and they think that is enough

They couldn't understand why we didn't by timeshare in Aruba instead of the BW. Silly people.

Loving your trip report!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

What a fantastic report so far! I can't wait until you are able to post some pics. Ahh....the Boardwalk Nothing quite like sitting out on the balcony just soaking it all in (well in your case, before you get soaked by that nasty raincloud )

Can't wait to read about your review of Narcosses (sp). We have a boardwalk view 1-bedroom reserved for December and I simply can't wait!!

Happy Anniversary!!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: