Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
*HappilyEverAfter*
DIS Veteran

Coffee In WDW

Ok, so this is a bad thing.

My parents kinda let me start drinking coffee and im actually starting to like it, but its starbucks. I heard that the coffee served in WDW is like yuck! So, where in WDW is the best place to have a coffee??

If this doesnt make sense, im sorry!
Upcoming Trips
December 11th-19th 2008 @ Disney's Polynesian Resort

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/h49j4v8u59hewlh6.png[/IMG]
*HappilyEverAfter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
wildeoscar
DIS Veteran

it makes sense... this is a recent topic that has gotten some airplay...

Kona Cafe has press pot.

The lobby of the CR has a real coffee place.

Anyone wanna chime in with more?
wildeoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
*HappilyEverAfter*
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeoscar View Post

Kona Cafe has press pot.

Anyone wanna chime in with more?
I'm staying at the Polynesian!!!

Thanks for the quick reply!!
Upcoming Trips
December 11th-19th 2008 @ Disney's Polynesian Resort

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/h49j4v8u59hewlh6.png[/IMG]
*HappilyEverAfter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
calypso*a*go-go

Captain of the Love "Board!"
Cost for a tag=1 "Mickey"

They actually serve Starbucks coffee at the Java Cafe located inside Shades of Green resort (a short walk from the Poly).
Old 06-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Mickey_Man
DIS Veteran

Apparently the Wave has great coffee, and you can get starbucks at the Swan and Dolphin. Haven't had coffee at the Wave yet, but I can report back in less than three weeks!

I believe the podcast review of the Wave mentioned good coffee, so that is one source to validate the claim.

1/12 CR New job celebration! 1/11 SSR 1st Full Marathon 9/10 CSR -Baby's first trip! FEB 2010 Dolphin: Winter Getaway! JUL 2009 Wilderness Lodge Villas & Swan: 6th Anniversary DEC 2008 - Dolphin - Mousefest/MVMCP JUL 2008 - BCV & WL - 5th Anniversary JAN 2008 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon JUL 2007 - Dolphin JAN 2007 -Dolphin - WDW 5K AUG 2006 - Dolphin FEB 2004 -CB JUL 2003 - WEDDING @ Wedding Pavilion and Honeymoon @ Grand Floridian!!!! FEB 2000 - 1st trip! Dixie Landings
Mickey_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
lady browning
Mouseketeer

I'm a coffeeholic and is one of the main reasons I choose to stay at the Poly. Love the Kona coffee. There is also good coffee at Boma and a kiosk in Asia I think at AK. Haven't tried Starbucks inside the Swan/Dolphin but I just might have to try it out this next trip. Would love to see WDW solve this problem for all us coffee lovers but alas.... don't think that will be happening.
lady browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
snoopywoodstockus
Mouseketeer

I hope Disney will allow some better coffee in as any existing contracts expire. I am sure there is a huge market for them to exploit.
2012 1st DVC BLT 9th Wedding Anniversary Trip , 2011 Purchasing DVC at BLT , 2010 POP Century Grand Gathering 2009 Wilderness Lodge 2008 Surprise WL Upgrade with Parents, Niece and Hubby 2007 Wilderness Lodge 2006 WDW CBR 2005 WDW ASM with Niece 2004 WDW Family trip Offsite 2004 DL Off site 2003 WDW Honeymoon Ramada Prior to 2003 - too many to mention
snoopywoodstockus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
wildeoscar
DIS Veteran

Nestles and Nescafe are so deeply embedded, it would be like switching away from Coke. I am guessing the best you can hope for is niche locations.
wildeoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
WebmasterJohn
Genius
Maintains the Big Book of Grievances

DISboards Administrator

The 'rule of thumb' for coffee at WDW is that any third party vendor/establishment will sell something other than the standard Disney coffee. Think Wolf Gang Puck Express, Earl of Sandwich, McDonalds, Swan/Dolphin, Hess Stations, any of the DTD West Side restaurants, etc.

I do not think this 'rule' applies to the World Showcase countries becuase, in my opinion, they all have bad coffee (except for specialty coffee's).

As far as Disney owned and operated establishments any of the 'signature' restaurants are allowed to serve alternate coffee as well. For example The Wave, Jiko, V & A, etc. However they are not required to - they can still sell the Disney coffee if they want and many do.

The good news for those of you staying off Disney property or who have a car there are plenty of great coffee places in the area - Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, independent places, etc.

I always ask when I order coffee whether it is the standard Disney coffee or not. I find most cast members are honest and will tell you what they serve and if it is any good.

John

WebmasterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
VanMickey
Earning My Ears

Desperate times call for desperate measures

One thing we discovered while in MK when a caffeine hit was badly needed (think long lines at Dumbo), was buying a coffee, a hot chocolate, and a 3rd cup. We split the coffee and chocolate to get a moc-mocha. It actually went down pretty well. Hope it helps.
VanMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I'm pretty bad with coffee...I basically drink it all day long, so at Disney, I can really start to drag early to mid-afternoon when the 3 cups I had that I made in my room totally wear off. At that point, it's usually any port in a storm and I will down some of the swill in the parks if I have to, but if possible, I really try to get over to the Contemporary lobby or somewhere that sells something decent. I understand that Nestle and Nescafe and deeply embedded, but seriously there should be some decent options somehow, especially in MK.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
TXYankee

Meow

I really need a good cup of coffee to start the day....so I pack my own coffee grounds and filters. I use the coffee maker in the room and I always get a good cup of joe!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

The press pot at Boma is the best coffee I have had at Disney. I also loved the Moroccan coffee at Restaurant Marrakesh. It is coffee with a shot of espresso and orange blossom water. Of course both of these require eating at the restaurant but they are two of my favorite restaurants so it works for me.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
WebmasterJohn
Genius
Maintains the Big Book of Grievances

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMickey View Post
One thing we discovered while in MK when a caffeine hit was badly needed (think long lines at Dumbo), was buying a coffee, a hot chocolate, and a 3rd cup. We split the coffee and chocolate to get a moc-mocha. It actually went down pretty well. Hope it helps.

This is what Kevin used to do for me on a Disney Cruise before they opened the Cove Cafe.

The 'regular' coffee on the cruise seems to be worse than at WDW so he would create a mocha for me using the hot chocolate mix

WebmasterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
Troop o' Goofs
"Inside every sophisticated grownup adult is a little kid just dying to get out." Walter Elias Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeoscar View Post

Looks like our next stay at WL will include a morning boat ride to CR for some real coffee then the monorail to whatever park we are headed to that day.

We Coffee

Former Cast Member
DH, DW, DS10, DS8 & DD5
DisneyMoon 1997 WL & BW, WL 2007, DCL 2011

Troop o' Goofs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: