Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 AM   #16
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I'm so sorry you are going through this.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
kimis
DIS Veteran

Yes Elfstar your first trip may be very hard but just know that there are so many happy memories there with the two of you. That is what memories are all about---the times life is hard and seemingly unfair---to get us through.
I know when I go to places that were special to loved ones that I have lost I actually cry, laugh and "talk" with the loved one all at the same time.
I wish I could talk away your pain for you but than you wouldn't have those wonderful memories together.
Just know that myself and others are praying for you. You hang in there! Laugh when you want, cry when you want and yell when you want. Most importantly talk when you want. Talking helps.
All my prayers and lots of pixie dust.
2007-DL Paradise Pier
2007-DL Candy cane Inn
2007-DL Portofino Inn
2006-POR 2005-POR 2005- DL Paradise Pier 1999-Dixie Landings (1st of many trips-I hope!) 1999- DL Holiday Inn and many more DL trips
kimis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #18
Mrs. M. Mouse
Dreaming of Disney

I'm sorry you are going through this.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #19
catsrule
Mary Jo

I'm so sorry Elfstar, this disease stinks. My nephew is 36 and he has it.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #20
Elfstar
Guarded by Dragons, Gargoyles...and Figment!

Catsrule, our prayers go out to your nephew, you and your families. He's so young for this - it's bad enough that Jim's only 57. Keep his spirits up, there's a drug that was supposed to be approved for human trial this summer (Jim's doctor had hoped to have him participate) but the FDA wants more animal testing first so it's on hold for a year. Too late for Jim (I'll explain why in a second) but maybe in time to help your nephew. I'll pray for that result.

We went to the ALS clinic for Jim's 3 month checkup yesterday. The doctor seemed surprised at how much he's deteriorated since the last visit. Jim asked if he knew how long he had, and he told us that he thinks he may be in his final six months. Startled to say the least, we feel like we've been hit in the face with a board. Tears ran down my face during the entire three hour ride home. I know it's not truly predictable but thinking that I could lose him that soon is devastating. I'll never be ready for that.

Thank you all for your thoughts, hopes and prayers. This is a help, being able to let it out without really "seeing" people.
2006 - 3 trips this year - all Disney'd out for now.
2007 - another wonderful week at WDW (off site)
2008 - the saddest year of my life - DH has ALS; AKL for his final trip.
2009 - DH passed on 1/3 - "memory trip" 3/5 - 3/9 with his daughter.
Memory trip 6/28 - 7/4 POFQ - first solo trip, a little rough
F & W Festival trip - 9/24 - 9/29 with sister-in-law - AKL
2010 - 6/19-25, DTD hotel - carried DH in my heart, had a lovely trip!
Elfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #21
Mrs. M. Mouse
Dreaming of Disney

Oh elfstar. I'm so sorry to hear your news. you and your family will remain in my prayers!

allie
Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #22
TheDisneyGirl02
I found my Disney Prince!
Animals that have gone through the taxidermy process scare like nothing else!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #23
catsrule
Mary Jo

Thank you, Elfstar, for the kind words. Unfortunately it will be too late for my nephew also. This is his 3rd year with this crap, and they are giving him six months as well (that was 3 months ago). He can no longer walk or talk, and can barely eat. He refuses a feeding or breathing tube. He will be leaving behind 3 little ones (12, 10, 6). No one in our families has ever had this, so quite a shock dealing with this. He has signed up with Hospice now.
Prayers and thoughts back at you, Elfstar.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #24
kimis
DIS Veteran

Elfstar I am so sorry!
Catsrule I am so sorry!
All of you are in my prayers!!!! I was wondering (I am not trying to interfere) but has hospice been called in either situation? If not you might think about it, they are a great help in just about any area you may need.
Again you are in my prayers.
2007-DL Paradise Pier
2007-DL Candy cane Inn
2007-DL Portofino Inn
2006-POR 2005-POR 2005- DL Paradise Pier 1999-Dixie Landings (1st of many trips-I hope!) 1999- DL Holiday Inn and many more DL trips
kimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #25
catsrule
Mary Jo

Yes, my nephew is now signed up for hospice. He has been in a facility also. Hospice comes by a couple of times a week and checks up on him.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #26
jacksonsmom
Can you guess who I am a mom for? Come on, I'll give you three guesses!

Oh Elfstar, I am so sorry to hear the lastest news My heart is breaking for you.

ALS sux! I hate it so much. I wish someone somewhere would find a cure or at least something to help these people that come down with this disease.
The disease just seems so hopeless.

My dad isn't doing good at all right now. I won't get into all the details, but basically he developed a cold/cough. It's hard to say if he will be able to fight this. Right now his lungs are clear, but the dr said it could change at any time. They are watching him very closely.
It's been very rough and hard on everyone

I hate ALS with every fiber in my body!

I am so sorry so many are dealing with it.
jacksonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #27
Suzimom
Mouseketeer

I'm so very sorry. I've been trying to think of something else to say, but that's really all it comes down to at this point.

I know your husband must be very sad for you, and not just for himself. It sounds like you are both (as well as his family) devoted to supporting each other through this; I truly get the impression that you and he have had a strong, loving relationship through your years together.

It's so good that you are hooked up with a support group. Friends and acquaintances can give a lot of love and sympathy, but people who REALLY know what you're going through are so important for you and your family right now.

God's Blessings...

Susan

First Family Trip - DS8, DH, ME!! at POP June 2005

Second Family Trip - DS11, DH, ME!! at Pop June 2008
Suzimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #28
mjwolfe
Earning My Ears

Elfstar,
I am sorry to hear this latest news...

you are in my prayers.

-Marti
mjwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #29
Elfstar
Guarded by Dragons, Gargoyles...and Figment!

Thank you all, all prayers and suggestions (Kimis, hospice is coming soon - but had we not already been aware of them, I'd have been so grateful for your question - that was not any kind of interference - every little bit of information can make such a difference) are so welcome. I'm heartsick at all of this, and tonight we discussed and confirmed Jim's wishes for himself and his belongings. It was so hard to discuss but I'm so grateful it's covered - it goes to the lawyer this week.

I asked Jim if he had any last wish to go somewhere or do something while he's still reasonably able - he's getting a power chair in the next week, so that will make things a little easier for all - more comfort and less exertion for him, less exertion for his parents (83 and 77) and me - I'm only 56 and was an EMT for 17 years - I thank God everyday for all the training I had that comes in so handy now - lifting and moving him without hurting him or myself, general medical and emergency care. He did have a wish, so I've asked for an application for one of the wish granting foundations and am keeping my fingers crossed. It would be nice to get away one more time but he's losing ground at such a pace I don't know if it will happen.

Jacksonsmom, I'm so sorry about your dad, and you're right, ALS is simply inhumane. I wouldn't wish this disease on my worst enemy. I hope he gets through his cold without too much trouble. I'll add him to my prayers.

Suzimom, my name is Susan, also. And thank you, Jim is very sad for me, he says constantly that he worries about me, and he said last night that I shouldn't worry, that his love for me will still be here with me even when he's gone. And I was trying sooo hard not to cry in front of him but that did it!

Antmaril, and mjwolfe, thank you both, I know you also have your own trials. I'm here with two ears and s for all of you, too. Thanks for listening.
2006 - 3 trips this year - all Disney'd out for now.
2007 - another wonderful week at WDW (off site)
2008 - the saddest year of my life - DH has ALS; AKL for his final trip.
2009 - DH passed on 1/3 - "memory trip" 3/5 - 3/9 with his daughter.
Memory trip 6/28 - 7/4 POFQ - first solo trip, a little rough
F & W Festival trip - 9/24 - 9/29 with sister-in-law - AKL
2010 - 6/19-25, DTD hotel - carried DH in my heart, had a lovely trip!
Elfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #30
catsrule
Mary Jo

I'm so sorry Elfstar. I know what you are going through and how difficult it is. Prayers for you and yours.

jacksonsmom, I feel the same way. Prayers for your dad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: